As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Glengarry Glen [Chat]

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    Dang that French bro married his high school teacher

That's okay in Europe.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Moulin Rouge is lots of fun, and very silly, and very camp and sincere in its emotional exuberance and it doesn't quite work but at least it's trying to so something big and fun and silly.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I liked R+J too

I was a teenager at the time so maybe I'm a bias

I do agree with Kyle Kallgren's diagnosis that he seems to put unusual influence on all the "greatest hit" lines even if the tone of the scene doesn't call for it

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    "We, we are [huh?], we are a [huh?] and we [huh?]"

GCSE French did not go to waste

En marche is the name of macron's party

We stand ,we walk, we go all the way (ladiiiiies)

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Romeo & Juliet is a fantastic movie and one of the best Shakespeare adaptations ever made. My taste for Shakespeare runs towards traditional interpretations, but if you can adapt it as well as Baz did into an absolutely modern idiom then go right ahead.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Romeo & Juliet is a fantastic movie and one of the best Shakespeare adaptations ever made. My taste for Shakespeare runs towards traditional interpretations, but if you can adapt it as well as Baz did into an absolutely modern idiom then go right ahead.

I got Ian McKellen's Richard III for Christmas and haven't watched it yet. I'm ashamed.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    With only two weeks to go before the May 9 presidential election, candidates are busy wooing voters of various ages, backgrounds and religions. But there is one particular group that they are not competing to win over -- sexual minorities.

[. . .]

[M]ost candidates, except two, have shied away from touching on LGBT-related issues. The two exceptions are Sim Sang-jeung, the only female and progressive candidate to include LGBT rights in her candidate manifesto, and Hong Joon-pyo, the conservative firebrand with a record of sexist and homophobic remarks.

During a televised debate Tuesday, front-runner Moon Jae-in of the Democratic Party of Korea was directly confronted by Hong to make clear his stance on homosexuality.

“I do not like it” was the answer from the former human rights lawyer who is, according to latest polls, most likely to lead South Korea for the next five years.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170426000830

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    That was at a 100y memorial of the WW1 battle, in an area that also happens to be very Le Pen focused.
    My French is too terrible to pick it all up, except it seemed to have a section about being for every Frenchmen, not just those that support Le Pen.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    kedinik wrote: »
    With only two weeks to go before the May 9 presidential election, candidates are busy wooing voters of various ages, backgrounds and religions. But there is one particular group that they are not competing to win over -- sexual minorities.

[. . .]

[M]ost candidates, except two, have shied away from touching on LGBT-related issues. The two exceptions are Sim Sang-jeung, the only female and progressive candidate to include LGBT rights in her candidate manifesto, and Hong Joon-pyo, the conservative firebrand with a record of sexist and homophobic remarks.

During a televised debate Tuesday, front-runner Moon Jae-in of the Democratic Party of Korea was directly confronted by Hong to make clear his stance on homosexuality.

“I do not like it” was the answer from the former human rights lawyer who is, according to latest polls, most likely to lead South Korea for the next five years.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170426000830

I read a bit in the NYT yesterday about the crackdown on gay soldiers in the military. Seems pretty awful, especially in combination with conscription.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Morn'. Why isn't it Friday, yet?

• Options
    Haphazard wrote: »

Societal arbitrary definitions

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular

It's a national holiday if you just move 1 country to the west.

There is some social pressure to wear orange clothing during it though, I'm not sure if you're up for that deal.

• Options
    SanderJK wrote: »

There is some social pressure to wear orange clothing during it though, I'm not sure if you're up for that deal.

I have a slowly disintegrating t-shirt that would apply!

• Options

Not my colour, but I'm willing to go full on William for a day off.

• Options
    edited April 2017

Remember to shout "Seamus an chaca!"

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    William of Orange language of preference was French.

His dying words, as he was murdered were Mon Dieu, mon Dieu, ayez pitié de moi et de ce pauvre peuple

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Taiwan will probably beat South Korea to gay marriage

the pan-green dependence on social liberals is prolly vaguely linked to the corresponding irrelevance of trade unions to the left tent - reflecting its descent from the top down rather than as a street movement

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

His dying words, as he was murdered were Mon Dieu, mon Dieu, ayez pitié de moi et de ce pauvre peuple

He wasn't murdered, he died from pneumonia as a result of injuries when his horse bucked him

• Options

Remember to shout "Seamus an chaca!"
    Jimmy really fucked up that time.

• Options
    #JustNornIronCentricThings

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I don't want to love-shame but according to all articles about him they started dating when she was 40 and he 16. That is weird to me.

Like not weird enough that I wouldn't gladly vote for him over a nazi.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »

I don't want to love-shame but according to all articles about him they started dating when she was 40 and he 16. That is weird to me.

Like not weird enough that I wouldn't gladly vote for him over a nazi.

OTOH they've been together for more than 20 years. It's weird but at the same time whatever they have seems to work for them.

• Options

He wasn't murdered, he died from pneumonia as a result of injuries when his horse bucked him

Dutch history is greatly complicated by calling all males William.

But I was talking about the O.G. William, the Father of the Fatherland, I Will Maintain, Let's War for 80 Years, Die From An Incredibly Amateuristic Assassination attempt, of Orange.

• Options
    Franck, in his 20s, brushed an outstretched hand aside: “No, not him,” he said walking on quickly. “I voted Mélenchon last Sunday, but I have absolutely no interest in the second round.

“A Le Pen vote is out of the question, but I just can’t vote for Macron. Not even to keep the FN out.”

I cannot put into words how much I loathe people like this. She's a Nazi and you can't bring yourself to help defeat her. Ugh.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Voting for the option you hate less still makes a lot of sense, since it will affect you and people around you whether you're interested or not. Franck.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    I've been seeing a lot of incredibly convoluted explanations that macron's unrepentant neoliberalism is a bigger threat than le pen's fascism because neoliberalism will make fascism inevitable

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »
    I've been seeing a lot of incredibly convoluted explanations that macron's unrepentant neoliberalism is a bigger threat than le pen's fascism because neoliberalism will make fascism inevitable

I find the best argument deployed against this sort of thing is to eat the other person whole, like a giant python swallowing an unlucky goat.

• Options

So by that logic, our choices are facism now or facism later

Think I'm gonna choose later thanks

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Fun thing about working at an IT security company: writing third-party stuff, go "hmm, I wonder if I can do this" and then spot a way to take over an entire user account.

• Options
    Franck, in his 20s, brushed an outstretched hand aside: “No, not him,” he said walking on quickly. “I voted Mélenchon last Sunday, but I have absolutely no interest in the second round.

“A Le Pen vote is out of the question, but I just can’t vote for Macron. Not even to keep the FN out.”

I cannot put into words how much I loathe people like this. She's a Nazi and you can't bring yourself to help defeat her. Ugh.

It's dumb, but I don't get the obsession over it. No matter what the opposition to the worst thing on the menu is, there'll be a cross section that goes "nah." It's be the same the other way around.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

I got Ian McKellen's Richard III for Christmas and haven't watched it yet. I'm ashamed.

this movie owns btw

Crimson King on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    you could argue that, by withholding votes from anyone insufficiently leftist, you force the centre to choose between moving left and letting the fascists get in

• Options
    Elki wrote: »
    It's dumb, but I don't get the obsession over it. No matter what the opposition to the worst thing on the menu is, there'll be a cross section that goes "nah." It's be the same the other way around.

I'm not obsessed! Pay no attention to the 8GB folder on my desktop named "Non voters and where they live and how I will destroy them when the revolution comes".

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Maybe fascism later is better than fascism now though

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    you could argue that, by withholding votes from anyone insufficiently leftist, you force the centre to choose between moving left and letting the fascists get in

You could, but you'd be wrong, and the cost of you being wrong is that fascists get in.

• Options

It's a pretty high stakes gambit with potentially terrible downsides.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    ethnic nationalists are like aliens: what they want, even nominally, is so different that there's not much scope for compromise. fundamentally they're not happy unless the deviants and minorities all disappear. you can't buy them off with the welfare state, because that welfare will disproportionately go to deviants and minorities and that is an insult beyond toleration

if they're a majority there's no hope but the rifle, but that's happily not a necessity in most civilised places nowadays​

but that does place one at the mercy of the self-obsessed and easily distracted, nonetheless

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    A bit unimaginative to call a frenchman Franck

• Options
    Sparvy wrote: »
    A bit unimaginative to call a frenchman Franck

Gonna name my firstborn Frenchperson Vercingetorix

This discussion has been closed.