Options

Outside of a dog, the [books] thread is man's best friend

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I read over half of 1356 in a day. Having free time to read feels sooo goooood.

Really enjoying it. The good guys are super likable, the bad guys are satisfyingly douchey, the setting is delightfully bleak and dirty, and everything's moving along at a jolly old pace and bringing all the threads together and I am downright excited to see what happens.

The only problem is I bought this book to last me through my flight and overnight hostel stay on Saturday and at this rate I'm going to finish it tomorrow.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

one Verge writer's foolhardy quest to spend their summer reading It

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I listened to it while working in the garden center at Lowe's. It was 45 hours long, and is a hell of a thing to start your day off when you start work at 5 AM.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Finished my book. Didn't get a chance to visit another book shop. Got a flight and a hotel stay tomorrow. Gat dangit.

• Options
    You got a phone that can download an ebook app? I can set you up with a temporary library card number if you like.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I do, and I could just download the kindle app and have access to all my books, but weirdly although I can internet all day long on my phone I really hate reading books on it.

If I can't get another book tomorrow I'll download the app. But I think there's a book store on the way to the airport.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Wrapped up Children of Earth and Sky. Guy Gavriel Kay remains one of my favorites. His brand of pseudohistorical fiction with a soupçon of the supernatural pushes all my buttons. And to me this is a part of the world that feels familiar while also being wholly exotic.

I really should read the previous Sarantium books.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    I don't know if this is the right place, but what are good "liberal" history books? I'm not sure if liberal is the right term, but I'm looking for things that don't have a ton of WASP fuck yeah America bias

I read and enjoyed James Loewen's Lies Across America and Lies My Teacher Told Me

1492 and 1493 were very good

Is Howard Zinn's People's History of the United States good? I know it is very divisive.

Howard Zinn is great in showing the shit that happened in the US from different perspectives. It's also quite depressing because it shows alot of historical people and things sucked for lots of people, which is true, but can be pretty depressing.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Started reading Kraken as my friend said she thought I'd like it more than The City and The City

certainly so far I seem to. Mieville's writing is very enjoyable and his style is not to explain more than naturally develops in the course of the unfolding narrative, which I enjoy

Definitely worth a buy

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    I started reading Flags in the Dust on my work commute. It's my first Faulkner and I'm enjoying it a lot. I've heard of this one being criticized for being all over the place (that's why it was edited down to the shorter 'Sartoris'), but that's probably my favorite aspect about it. Really precise prose too; full of feeling.

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I just finished that book that Stephen King released in 1986 about a murderous clown.

This was such a complete bait-and-switch. The scary parts were effectively creepy (though not all Its appearances were), but what I really ended up loving about this book was how it's actually about childhood. About its secret pleasures and how those seem to fill up the entire world. And remembering that childhood as a grownup. Parts of this book made me really nostalgic. Remembering entire afternoons devoted to one single activity or project as if nothing else ever had or ever would exist in the world. The writing is best when it's just describing the kids living their normal lives before they're interrupted by monsters.

Its ending where
    the members of the Losers Club start forgetting each other, having their last conversations knowing they'll probably never talk to each other again, really affected me.

The book is goofy in places, of course. The cosmic turtle, the final battle against the monster and its origins, the macroverse, none of that really worked for me. And good god what the fuck was up with how they make their way out of the tunnels as kids?!

I wouldn't call it a masterpiece but the parts that work really work.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    "the parts that work really work" is a good descriptor of most of King's work

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Beginning the book you might imagine that the size of the hog of the fat boy would go uncommented upon, however

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So finally set up Libby on my devices and linked it with my wife's library card.

Why the hell didn't I do that sooner. Borrowing ebooks is great other than the slightly limited selection.

I read "The Martian" that way. That book is great just like the movie. I blazed through it.

Also read "All the Birds in the Sky" by Charlie Jane Anders. I really liked it for about 2/3 of the way through but felt like it didn't finish that strong. It did have a kind of a Lemony Snicket meets The Magicians vibe which was cool.

Currently reading "The Blade Itself" by Joe Abercrombie and really liking it. I'm most of the way through that first book and the other two in the series aren't in Libby so I guess I'll have to spring for the Kindle editions.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Don't forget that Libby can also do eAudio! I listen to as many books as I read these days, because I can just download them to my phone.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Finished Count Zero.

So, I think it's very possible that the voodoo is inaccurate and/or offensive; it was written by a white dude in the 80s, after all. Risk is high that stuff was bungled. It tracked with what I know (which is, admittedly, very very little - if it wasn't in Mumbo Jumbo, I don't know shit about it), but that isn't saying much.

That said, boy, I loved that book. Not only was it exciting and cool and absolutely crammed with rad characters, it had these cool meditations on how unknowable powers greater than us are. The inhumanly rich, or the mystically-advanced artificial intelligence, they might come to us in guises we recognizes, in systems we think we know, but that's just for our benefit. To let us think we have any control, any insight into them. To make us feel safe. But at the end of the day, they are bigger and more powerful than we can even comprehend. That's heavy, but a) extremely true and b) a very fascinating thematic spine for an action novel where a club owner named "Jammer" gets some fingers disintegrated by a laser gun.

Might have to chalk this one up as a "problematic fave," but dang, I dug it.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Has anyone here read any of W.P. Kinsella's Fencepost Chronicles? I have heard they are parts funny and poignant and could be something I would enjoy.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Finished Count Zero.

So, I think it's very possible that the voodoo is inaccurate and/or offensive; it was written by a white dude in the 80s, after all. Risk is high that stuff was bungled. It tracked with what I know (which is, admittedly, very very little - if it wasn't in Mumbo Jumbo, I don't know shit about it), but that isn't saying much.

That said, boy, I loved that book. Not only was it exciting and cool and absolutely crammed with rad characters, it had these cool meditations on how unknowable powers greater than us are. The inhumanly rich, or the mystically-advanced artificial intelligence, they might come to us in guises we recognizes, in systems we think we know, but that's just for our benefit. To let us think we have any control, any insight into them. To make us feel safe. But at the end of the day, they are bigger and more powerful than we can even comprehend. That's heavy, but a) extremely true and b) a very fascinating thematic spine for an action novel where a club owner named "Jammer" gets some fingers disintegrated by a laser gun.

I need to read this again, I haven't read any of the Sprawl trilogy since I was about 13, and I think there's things I'd appreciate more now.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Finished the Traitor Baru Cormorant last night.

Woa.

Still processing that but definitely something.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I finally got through the waiting list for the digital audiobook of Ghost Story, and it's the first book in the entire Dresden Files that isn't read by James Marsters. Everything is the worst.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I'm reading The Hound of the Baskervilles today, I've never read an actual Sherlock book before but am of course very familiar with the character through a million-plus adaptations

I'm glad to see his general assholery came straight from the source, I thought he might've been played straight originally and more modern views added in "this guy would actually be kinda insufferable"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I know I bitched about Sanderson's WoT and Mistborn, but his was the easy button on the Kindle bookstore, and I devoured the two Stormlight Archives novels. They're not without faults, but I'm eagerly awaiting the third's release in a few months.

In the meantime I think I'll get back to Abercrombie.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Started listening to the Expanse books. They're a lot less nihilistic than the series

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Started listening to the Expanse books. They're a lot less nihilistic than the series

The show really dirtied up pretty much everyone. In the books most characters are a bit more idealistic at heart than the show has them.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I'm reading The Hound of the Baskervilles today, I've never read an actual Sherlock book before but am of course very familiar with the character through a million-plus adaptations

I'm glad to see his general assholery came straight from the source, I thought he might've been played straight originally and more modern views added in "this guy would actually be kinda insufferable"

I'd have recommended that you start with some of the short stories before the novels, but that's just my preference, and you seem to be digging it so I'll just move along

• Options
    I read the whole thing in a day cause it turns out 100 pages of book is not that many pages

It was alright, but I just didn't find the central mystery that interesting and Sherlock disappears for like half the book

It's kinda crazy that the most famous Sherlock story barely includes him

also the book literally fell apart in my hands as I was finishing it and I think the last few pages had been torn out

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Finished Count Zero.

I did a bunch of research on voodoo in college and at the very absolute least he used all the terminology correctly

obviously that doesn't mean it can't be offensive but as a non-Haitian that's not something I can judge

• Options
    I once met a girl at a bar who spent a very long time staring at me and then claimed she was attempting to read my aura and figure out which voodoo god I was most attuned to

Just, you know, on the subject of people we're pretty sure don't know much about voodoo

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I once met a girl at a bar who spent a very long time staring at me and then claimed she was attempting to read my aura and figure out which voodoo god I was most attuned to

Just, you know, on the subject of people we're pretty sure don't know much about voodoo

So which god was it

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    She never figured it out, I guess

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

So which god was it

I'm willing to bet the answer would be Samedi. Samedi is, like, the second thing anyone learns about voodoun right after zombies.

• Options
    Everything I know about voodoo I learned from Monkey Island

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm rereading the aeronaut's windlass and it's just a fun book. I want more, but I also want more Dresden Files. Butcher needs to write faster.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I finished Blood Meridian. That was... a good book that I am happily never going to read again. It was an interesting contrast to The Road, at least. As ugly as that book is beautiful.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Finished Joe Abercrombie's First Law series. It was excellent. I immediately started his Shattered Seas trilogy and am already on the second book. It is also very good. The whole Shattered Seas trilogy is available in Libby so its not going to cost you anything to give it a go.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    I read Elmore Leonard’s “Valdez Is Coming”

Gosh that guy was just real good at putting words on a page, huh

Also I’m learning that 100-200 pages is like ideal book length for me, I love getting that shit done in a day

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Finished Mona Lisa Overdrive.

I was real dumb for waiting this long to read the rest of The Sprawl trilogy! I think Count Zero was my favorite, but I still dug the hell out of MLO. Tied a lot of unexpected threads together, and had a final page that blew up the whole series while still reflecting its central themes, which was mind-blowingly impressive. THAT'S how you end a fuckin' trilogy.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    I still don't think that ending totally gels but maybe I need to give it another read

• Options
    I still don't think that ending totally gels but maybe I need to give it another read
    Oh, I loved it. Throughout the whole run, "you will never understand powers bigger than you - all you can do is find a lane, try your best, and maybe get lucky" was a driving idea. The other big idea was, "there's always a something bigger than you. Perspective is inherently limited, and you may not realize there's something bigger than you, but there is."

And the first real AI, the pinnacle of human achievement and sum of all human knowledge, an antagonist for three books that seemed untouchable, had something bigger than it. Something it didn't understand. So it shattered, found lanes, stayed in them, got lucky.

So good.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Have you read The Peripheral? He plays around with many of the same themes in a more grounded setting that I think you might dig. It felt like a return to form for people who were getting tired of the Blue Ant stuff.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.