Options

Outside of a dog, the [books] thread is man's best friend

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I loved Abercombie's The Blade Itself, but as the two other books in the trilogy are yet available in whispersync I'm finding it a lot tough to get through them. I mean, I don't have any complaints with the text itself, but now without the audio portion I mostly find myself just reading a single chapter at a time.

I'm all up in Legend of the Five Rings LCGs, RPGs, whatever, and it makes me realize how limited my knowledge of actual Japanese history and mythology is. Any book recommendations? All I've got so far is Hagakure and The Book of Five rings (neither has whispersync available to my knowledge).

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Finished La Belle Sauvage, the new book by Philip Pullman set in the His Dark Materials universe. It's an 'all ages' children's novel that can be enjoyed by adults because of the subject matter it tackles, though it's an easier read, not as dense as Northern Lights is on a first read, which works in its favour.

In addition to playing with many of the same themes of the first trilogy, it also has a distinctly anti-fascist/radicalisation agenda that shows how insidiously effective targeting children can be and how to be aware of that, which feels sadly relevant. It's also a lot more overt about the magicality of the setting - despite HDM having literal talking armoured polar bears, this has a more fantastical feel to parts.

Very enjoyable, it was wonderful to be back in that world again.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    So how is the Dark Materials trilogy? I never read it when I was younger because of my fundamentalist environment/background. Is it worth reading as an adult, literarily speaking?

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Finished the Southern Reach books! I liked the differentiation between books 1, 2 and 3, and I liked the way that each book managed to accelerate toward and ending without really getting down to the business of resolving much of anything.

I also liked the attention to phrasing in the books. The way that things are implied to have characteristics by the specificity of their naming or by the willingness or unwillingness to rename them.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Im having a hell of a time getting into Authority. It's just as difficult to parse as Annihilation, but the setting and plot just does the have nearly as gripping a hook, at least 30% in. I do hope I'll return to it.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    So how is the Dark Materials trilogy? I never read it when I was younger because of my fundamentalist environment/background. Is it worth reading as an adult, literarily speaking?

I can recommend the first book wholeheartedly as one of the best YA novels ever written. The second book is fine, and the third book goes entirely off the rails. It's not that the subtext becomes text, it's more that the characters end up standing around awkwardly while the author stands in the middle of the stage ranting the subtext directly at the audience.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I can recommend the first book wholeheartedly as one of the best YA novels ever written. The second book is fine, and the third book goes entirely off the rails. It's not that the subtext becomes text, it's more that the characters end up standing around awkwardly while the author stands in the middle of the stage ranting the subtext directly at the audience.

Ah, pulling a Terry Goodkind?

"Armed only with their hatred of moral clarity."

• Options

Okay. I thought I had remembered something about the third book being significantly less good, but I couldn't remember where I'd heard it or whether my source was worth trusting. haha I may add the first to my list, then. Thanks!

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    Im having a hell of a time getting into Authority. It's just as difficult to parse as Annihilation, but the setting and plot just does the have nearly as gripping a hook, at least 30% in. I do hope I'll return to it.

Yeah that's a thing that I found interesting and kind of daring, that it completely abandons the thing that interested me in the first book. I would say it's definitely worth the read, but it's often really mundane compared to the first one because Control isn't really breaching into the unknown, just trying to pick up pieces of what other people know.

I think it works well as a horror narrative because part of the horror is oh okay so the people in charge are legit not able to handle anything either.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I still think all three are highly worthwhile, and gave them all a re-read maybe a year ago.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    They are probably extra worth reading as a former fundamentalist. The new one sounds interesting too.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Seconding reading all three. The third book definitely has its knives out for Catholicism as an institution, but it's still an excellent YA adventure - my chief criticism is that the female lead loses a fair bit of her agency in it.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Also armored polar bears and Texan balloonists.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    HDM is a pretty great series IMO

And the third book has some very powerful, moving moments in it for sure

• Options
    Noted! Depending on where I am in other reading, I may try to broach them during Thanksgiving break. We shall see!

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Personally I didn't like The Golden Compass. The story is told mainly through the eyes of the adolescent girl who mostly acts as a catalyst for the greater struggles around her. Like baby Groot in the opening fight scene of Guardians of the Galaxy 2, while she embodies the thematic arcs of the novels, there's some cooler shit going on in the background that I would rather focus on.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Septus wrote: »

For what it's worth, I had the same sort of problem the first time around. The second was better/easier and definitely improved it in my eyes.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I remember crying like a damn baby at the end of Amber Spyglass

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Got my library overdrive account set up so now I can digitally check out audiobooks.

Started with The Peripheral by William Gibson. Off to a good start so far! Though his writing style is a bit demanding for audiobook format. Have to be a careful listener, his writing is dense with information.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I mentioned, off-hand, the book Which Witch? in front of my supervisor, and he got incredibly excited and today handed me a bag of books by the same author.
    So I guess I'll be reading a lot of YA this week.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Got my library overdrive account set up so now I can digitally check out audiobooks.

Started with The Peripheral by William Gibson. Off to a good start so far! Though his writing style is a bit demanding for audiobook format. Have to be a careful listener, his writing is dense with information.

PSA: Use the app Libby on your phone or mobile device, not the Overdrive app itself. Libby is also Overdrive but is a Much Better Experience than their bog standard app and why they didn't just roll the stuff in Libby into their regular app I don't know.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Ugh, why am I at work training this person when I could be at home reading the new Joe Hill. Uggghhhh

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Finished Slow Regard of Silent Things audio book tonight. I can see why it is polarizing. I really liked it although it almost could be called
    Slow Regard to Mental Illness(in a magical world)
    I will say I think the audio book version being read by Patrick Rothfuss made it better.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    over the weekend i finished Republic of Thieves and started Ancillary Sword. Kindle book loans are very dangerous for my free time apparently

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    I purchased The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O on a whim because hey, Neal Stephenson (but collaborating with another author)

I'm like 5 pages in and uh

this may have been a mistake

sig.png
  • Options
    I remember that book being a bit of a slow burn, but pretty enjoyable once the dominoes started to fall.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    "Reader, if you don't know what a database is, rest assured that an explanation of the concept would in no way increase your enjoyment in reading this account."

This, in a book ostensibly co-authored by a guy who had an in-depth technical description of Van Eck phreaking, oh and a functional perl encryption script in one of his earlier works. Sigh.

sig.png
  • Options
    Oh. Yeah, there's very little cool science in this book. The technology that makes time travel work is literally magic.

There are some good bits with Vikings, though.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I'm gonna tough it out and hope it grows on me. Honestly, I don't mind that it's not technical or science focused, I appreciate good fantasy / magical realism. What really acquired my goat were the opening scenes where the narrator is describing / interacting with Military Guy, all "his biceps brushed my shoulder", "his large, strong hands", "There was something disturbingly thrilling about being seen so thoroughly", "I felt myself flush" etc etc etc. Oh and Smirkily Quirky Asian Barista. Oh and all the telling instead of showing.

Ah well. Exposition and stage-setting is always hard, and I have a feeling this stuff was mostly Galland, who's got a lot less experience. Hopefully once the plot picks up it'll improve.

sig.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    So apparently one of the latest Harry Potter branded merchandise situations is a series of wool blankets

A series of blankets whose patterns blatantly rip off indigenous styles and patterns

Blankets made by a company that's already been hit for illegally appropriating indigenous work

For the sake of celebrating a series that has also appropriated indigenous culture in blatant and stupid ways

What a cool and not at all scumfucky thing

Source thread from which I heard about all this dumb bullshit:

Sure would be cool if people could leave Indian shit the fuck alone for like once

• Options
    Pendleton was already scummy enough. Roping in a British boy-wizard who doesn't even know any better just seems excessively bad.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    it has become increasingly clear that JK rowling, personally, is kinda shitty

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

I am inclined to refuse to believe this just based on how happy she has made Jessica Williams. Not based on any evidence, mind you, just sheer willful ignorance.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular

Is she kinda shitty or will she just give the license to anyone who asks? Did I miss something?

• Options

I am inclined to refuse to believe this just based on how happy she has made Jessica Williams. Not based on any evidence, mind you, just sheer willful ignorance.

"kinda shitty" might be too harsh but she definitely has some....things she refuses to get better on

appropriation of native American culture and transphobia are the two big ones

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Peen wrote: »

Is she kinda shitty or will she just give the license to anyone who asks? Did I miss something?

It's at least partly based on her attempts to push the franchise into North America, which is a goddamn minefield alone.

So in writing the backstories to Wizarding in North America she:
    - Appropriated creatures from the religion/mythology of many different First Nations
    - Gives no real agency or acknowledgement to First Nations peoples
    - Doesn't include any of the people from the cultures she's appropriating from in the discussion of how they're going to be used in the stories.
    - Just straight up apparently ignores Native American history or agency.
    - Millions dead? Trail of Tears? Racism against non-whites? Slavery? No apparent impact on the Wizarding world.
    - Made it so that it's an English witch who teaches how to do Wizarding to the First Nations. Literally "teaching to the natives" about the creatures from their own cultures.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »

It's at least partly based on her attempts to push the franchise into North America, which is a goddamn minefield alone.

So in writing the backstories to Wizarding in North America she:
    - Appropriated creatures from the religion/mythology of many different First Nations
    - Gives no real agency or acknowledgement to First Nations peoples
    - Doesn't include any of the people from the cultures she's appropriating from in the discussion of how they're going to be used in the stories.
    - Just straight up apparently ignores Native American history or agency.
    - Millions dead? Trail of Tears? Racism against non-whites? Slavery? No apparent impact on the Wizarding world.
    - Made it so that it's an English witch who teaches how to do Wizarding to the First Nations. Literally "teaching to the natives" about the creatures from their own cultures.

and she's kept up with this shit after people have very politely and patiently pointed out that this is the kind of bullshit that is demonstrably harmful to native folk

she has no excuse anymore, she just can't handle being criticized

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I got an email from Becky Chambers' mailing list (Author of The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet and A Closed and Common Orbit) with a little blurb from the intro of her new book A Spaceborn Few.

http://www.hodderscape.co.uk/read-first-extract-becky-chambers-new-novel-record-spaceborn/

I am... pretty damned excited. I absolutely adore the Wayfarer universe and I just want to read all the books set in it.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    JK Rowling really should have just let the Harry Potter series lay where it ended.

I still can't fathom how the recent Fantastic Beasts movie could ever have been considered a good idea.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    JK Rowling really should have just let the Harry Potter series lay where it ended.

I still can't fathom how the recent Fantastic Beasts movie could ever have been considered a good idea.

I don't know, I thought it was decent, though it didn't really expand the setting as much as I would have liked

This discussion has been closed.