As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I got my drink, I got my music, but today I'm yelling [Job] don't kill my vibe!

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    This was put on by MADD not DARE

Which is basically DARE for drunk driving

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Although that does remind me of the time MADD brought in a wheelchair-bound computer-talking bound person who waas severely injured in a drunk driving accident and some girl asked him during the QA in front of the whole senior class if he could still have kids.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Oghulk wrote: »

MADD has gotten kind of weird about shit in general though. Very preachy (moral failing vs alcoholism as a disease) and doesn't really address the problem.

As evident in these weird fucking expiriments.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    We had two new lion cubs born recently. They were seen for the first time about a week ago. Three days ago one was witnessed dying in the sun a few metres away from its apparently unconcerned mother. Today I found the other, alone, covered in mud and calling for mum with no sign of the rest of them nearby.

Not sure why she would abandon it. Poor wee thing.

Once you start feeding a cub it's pretty much fucked eh? I've heard that a lion won't hunt after it's been fed for a while.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    re: weird school things.

In junior high history class we were studying the WWII, and one day we came in and all the lights were off, and the teacher was being totally silent.

anytime someone said something he was like, `shhhhhhhhhh!'

Then the principal came in, got into a mock fight with the teacher, and pulled a bunch of students out, I was one of them.

He lined us up in the hallway, and made a gun out of his fingers put it to each of our heads and said we were dead.

Then, we went back into class and talked about the holocaust.

I totally forgot about that until just now, and it retrospect it was kind of fucked up.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    We had a teacher 'kill' a tenth of the class in order to explain the verb 'decimate' in the context of roman legionaries. But that was like, a ten second bit.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    None of my teachers ever mock-executed me or any of my classmates. Now I'm starting to wonder if it's because they were just too lazy, because apparently it's a pretty common thing for schools to do.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    The closest thing to that we had was in health class they had students shake hands and some of the students were given gloves and it was to show us how sex without a condom will lead to a 100% rate of HIV infection

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    MADD is a well meaning but ultimately wrong-headed organization. On my university campus they frequently protest drunk driving by doing things like blocking the entrance and egress points of parking lots, preventing anyone from leaving campus without trying to take their flyers or getting berated by them. We have a pair of placed on campus where alcohol sales are legal and they will form arm chains around them to prevent people from, again, entering and leaving. Eventually the police show up and shoo them off but it happens a few times each year.

Back when I was on the conduct board, they had lobbied for a mandatory "re-education" for people who were dinged by the university for alcohol-related misconduct and we would send them to their presentation and courses (which is fine). We later found out that much of the official content of these courses had been replaced with shame sessions where the local chapter just would shout at the students as being responsible for various deaths that impacted them. It was all very bad.

I think this has more to do with the local organizations than with the organization as a whole, but my experience with them paints them mostly as well-meaning but generally deranged zealots.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Most I remember of DARE was the dumb lion mascot we'd have to watch during those assemblies.

I remember when they first introduced that guy.

It was an adorable yet shittily made stuffed animal.

I always liked to think they might have gotten the idea for a mascot from my dad. He'd had some success with the younger kids when he took an old super big stuffed animal of my sister's, put it into one of the multitudes of DARE t-shirts we had, and dubbed it the DARE bear. I think I remember them bringing it to one of the national DARE conferences.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    and then you all worship a featureless black disk?

Pfft, like you don't.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    In the army you'd always have some smashed up car outside the main gate with a sign about drinking and driving. Like an actual car that was involved in a DUI accident.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Recently in a 7th grade health class my son's class was told they should encourage the grownups in their lives to not drink at all. I got a good laugh about that and told him I'm pretty sure my one beer every week or two wasn't going to break up our household.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I'm sure my mom still has my old DARE t-shirt somewhere. I genuinely did stay off drugs and alcohol (except for the occasional festive drink offered by my parents), but that was more because I was worried about what unforeseen things it would do to my body than because of the DARE program. (as an example, I would never try smoking anything because I was a musician and had good reason to fear it'd mess up my lung capacity)

The goofiest thing any school did to teach us about stuff was some sort of theater group who we had to watch in middle school that talked about peer pressure for sex. I doubt it convinced anyone, but it did make us laugh (intentionally), so it was a good break.

I did have a teacher once do a thing where we got to pretend we were hiding from the Nazis throughout the school. We each were assigned a partner and we had to give the teacher a list of places to hide. Unfortunately I misread the teacher's return note and went to one of the places she had actually rejected. None of the Nazi-players found us, but we were marked captured anyway for going somewhere we weren't allowed. I'm not sure it really taught me anything about what the Jews felt in Nazi Germany, but it sure was a fun game of hide and seek.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I think we should bring back Prohibition for a bit so people can be reminded why it didn't work the first time. First against the wall will be the idiots using scare tactics.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2017
    Recently in a 7th grade health class my son's class was told they should encourage the grownups in their lives to not drink at all. I got a good laugh about that and told him I'm pretty sure my one beer every week or two wasn't going to break up our household.

I honestly think this is so dumb. They're going to go home, and the important adults in their lives are going to tell them their teachers are full of shit, and that is going to be real great for encouraging them to listen to school stuff in the future.

I'm also iffy about using kids to shame adults, in general - I guess i've always been basically ok with it regarding things like recycling, because that jives with my existing biases. But eeeeehhh. Even then it should be more about setting an example.

tynic on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I think we should bring back Prohibition for a bit so people can be reminded why it didn't work the first time. First against the wall will be the idiots using scare tactics.

Drugs prohibition has been ostentatiously (or would 'egregiously' be better?) not working for 40 years now. When are you expecting this effect to kick in?

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    We did our anti-drunk driving education the old-fashioned way: with a limp-wristed unit in health we all slept through, followed by a prom where teenagers wrapped a car around a tree or ran it into an overpass. Ah, the rites of spring.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Reading that wikipedia entry, man
    The Season 13 episode of Arthur, "The Pride of Lakewood", was loosely based on the Third Wave experiment, but instead involved students forming a community pride group which eventually becomes fascistic.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »

Drugs prohibition has been ostentatiously (or would 'egregiously' be better?) not working for 40 years now. When are you expecting this effect to kick in?

Around the time human psychology changes and confirmation bias ceases to be a thing.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

I honestly think this is so dumb. They're going to go home, and the important adults in their lives are going to tell them their teachers are full of shit, and that is going to be real great for encouraging them to listen to school stuff in the future.

Dumb for the teachers to do, but a good lesson for the kid! The lesson being: sometimes adults are full of shit, so trust but verify.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »

MADD has gotten kind of weird about shit in general though. Very preachy (moral failing vs alcoholism as a disease) and doesn't really address the problem.

As evident in these weird fucking expiriments.

They got taken over by neo-temperance activists after the organization achieved its goal of making drunk driving legally and socially unacceptable. One of the organization founders has disowned it because of this.

MADD is an example of what happens when an organization lives beyond its purpose.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

It was made into a movie that I was shown at about grade 8, so 14 years old here in Denmark.

I remember it as being an okay movie. Not preachy or melodramatic.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    The closest thing to that we had was in health class they had students shake hands and some of the students were given gloves and it was to show us how sex without a condom will lead to a 100% rate of HIV infection

I remember that one! We had a small class, around 20ish and I'm probably not remembering it completely, but I think they had one or two people with the diseased gloves and then you went around and shook hands with a number of people. I think by the end two people ended up uninfected.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I just have to wonder, was that teacher the coolest fucking teacher in the world before the experiment? Because it has to take some amount of rapport with the students to turn them into brownshirts within a few days.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The best drunk driving thing I did (by best mean I enjoyed it, not that it was functional) was in driver's ed when they had you put on the drunk goggles and drive a car through a traffic cone course.

Of course, the thing was seriously misguided since the bigger risk is buzzed driving with marginally reduced reaction speeds, not black-out everything-is-blurry driving.

Hot damn, you did that with an actual car? We just did golf carts during one of our Health classes.

My teacher said I did disconcertingly well.

Edit: Although I also basically failed the coordination sobriety tests while sober, so...

My Driver's Ed class was, I shit you not, taught by a guy who called himself Mad Max and had taken up teaching driver's ed after permanently injuring himself as a stuntman in hollywood. Lessons included things like, "When taking a turn at an exceptionally high speed, brake into it and accelerate out to make sure you maintain good tire contact."

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm ok with educators teaching people to err on the side of caution re: safe sex

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I'm ok with educators teaching people to err on the side of caution re: safe sex

There's a difference between erring on caution and intentionally giving bad information in an attempt to scare people.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    The best drunk driving thing I did (by best mean I enjoyed it, not that it was functional) was in driver's ed when they had you put on the drunk goggles and drive a car through a traffic cone course.

Of course, the thing was seriously misguided since the bigger risk is buzzed driving with marginally reduced reaction speeds, not black-out everything-is-blurry driving.

Hot damn, you did that with an actual car? We just did golf carts during one of our Health classes.

Edit: Although I also basically failed the coordination sobriety tests while sober, so...

My Driver's Ed class was, I shit you not, taught by a guy who called himself Mad Max and had taken up teaching driver's ed after permanently injuring himself as a stuntman in hollywood. Lessons included things like, "When taking a turn at an exceptionally high speed, brake into it and accelerate out to make sure you maintain good tire contact."

To be fair, this is actually in the Florida Driver's Handbook as the right way to take a turn, albeit at safer speeds no doubt.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular

It's actually brake immediately before the turn, and then accelerate on the way out. Braking during the turn is not ideal as it is more likely to cause the vehicle to skid sideways. Gently accelerating when coming out of a turn actually does help increase the control over the vehicle.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Look, I learned driving from Mad Max. I'm only taking constructive criticism from his superior, So It Goes.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

Abstinence is a good component of sex ed, but abstinence-only sex ed (which is more what we typically have around here) is actively harmful and irresponsible.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Perhaps you'd be interested in my cowritten by Edward Norton, pro-sex book "Abstinence? Only sex, Ed."

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Perhaps you'd be interested in my cowritten by Edward Norton, pro-sex book "Abstinence? Only sex, Ed."

Laboriously crafting an awkward setup so that you can make a joke that The Simpsons did better?

Nice work, I love it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

Laboriously crafting an awkward setup so that you can make a joke that The Simpsons did better?

Nice work, I love it.

Story of my life!

• Options
    Good to see my driving technique is actually vetted and approved. I'm always surprised at the people who take turns like they're moving through molasses when I'm pulling a tight arc and getting back up to speed seconds after finishing the turn.

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

Abstinence is a good component of sex ed, but abstinence-only sex ed (which is more what we typically have around here) is actively harmful and irresponsible.

It seems to me that teaching abstinence of any sort in sex is a bit like telling people to never put the key in the ignition in drivers ed.

It's not really condusive to what you are trying to instruct the participents in.

Of cause you should also instruct that refraining from having sex is an option, just like not driving when you can't keep your attention on it is the safer option.

Edit. I guess what I mean is that to me abstinance implies that both people are denying themselves something they want.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I always just let off acceleration going into turns and accelerated back out. Let momentum carry me through the first part.

This discussion has been closed.