As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

overwatch: rip battle mercy august 2017 - august 2017

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Einzel wrote: »
    Make her a melee tanky healer.

She's actually sane and upstanding but is making the best of her time stuck in what I can only assume is a near perfect rendition of present day Australia.

Also she's huge.

Melee allies to heal them.

The Queen "heals" by automatically bludgeoning allies that spam heal requests hard enough to knock them into a nearby health pack.

More seriously though, Warhammer Online way back when had a class (technically two mirrored classes) that had to be meleeing enemies to gather resources to blast big AoE heals around them. It was a pretty fun playstyle actually and I wish something would revisit it. Unfortunately Warhammer Online also bent to dumb requests and gave said class a way to heal without being in melee due to player demand. Also it imploded.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    so what's with the thread title
    are they not making the Mercy changes or what
    They tweaked them

No pistol damage boost and lower flight speed

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ameybesameybes vvvv MERBERNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    So I just saw a Roadhog get 7k self healing. (Edit: A card for it, no less)

Since the changes this isn't the first time I've played a healing support and been outhealed by Roadhog.

Sure do love doing death runs because I have 200 health and no quick self-heal though.

#saltyaf
    #firsttheycameforourresurrectult
    #thentheycameforourmedalsandcards

ameybes on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    What value cards?

• Options
    Not much really. I just dislike the HAW HAW HAW of Roadhog players winning healing cards. I an insecure in my own ability!

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    The solution to healing insecurity is to play Zen and forget that you have healing orbs.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    The solution to healing insecurity is to play Zen and forget that you have healing orbs.

Don't need to heal your team if all the enemies are dead.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. Zenyatta, Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Orbs

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It'd be nice if the Queen were Aboriginal. Or at least not white.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »

Don't need to heal your team if all the enemies are dead.

I believe that's what they call "preventative medicine"

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I think I might like solo deathmatch

I've played like 5 games, been in the top 4 for all of them and won one.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    #pipe wrote: »

I might like it, but my perception is viewed because I'm unbelievably rusty and trying out the Destiny 2 beta royally destroyed my ability to aim

also this one fucking lucio booped me three times and my hook barely moved him whenever I landed it, and he wall rode out of my ult twice

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Done a few 4v4 deathmatches with my friends and it's a lotta fun. Just zennying around.
    Ran into a colossal tool though, who told my friend "learn to aim widow, and u might win" after a round we lost by like 2, immediately after my friends widow potg where he team kills their entire team with and had 3 headshots in a row. :/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think if they weren't planning on having The Queen as a playable character, they have to now

All we have is one piece of grafitti and I've seen like dozens of pieces of fan art and folks losing their mind over her

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I think if they weren't planning on having The Queen as a playable character, they have to now

All we have is one piece of grafitti and I've seen like dozens of pieces of fan art and folks losing their mind over her

it's worth noting that doomfist was not planned as a playable character when they had all that art and backstory for the doomfist, so they've definitely demonstrated the ability to respond to fan interest like that

that said, it also means we may not see her for another year+

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I'd be okay if The Queen is just Totally Not Furiosa

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    She seems to be having a lot more fun than Furiosa, I think Furiosa would cramp her face attempting a snarky grin

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Needs more spikes.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Needs more spikes.

I just had a moment where I envisioned Overwatch's art direction done by Nomura and... the zippers and straps. My god.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

It's extra fun if you pick a character not exactly known for being a murder machine (people pick McCree, Hanzo, and Doomfist all the time as an example) and just roll with it the whole time. If you can get into the top 4 you've fucking earned it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6CDYTOzvEg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I may not have gotten any new skins that I wanted, but Reinhardt's "Ooh, glittering prizes!" line makes me smile every time.

ahaha, that's a reference to old blizzard RTS cheat codes, glitteringprizes was always the give yourself tons of resources one

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I played Mercy in solo deathmatch and got 6 kills, every one of them worth 6 of your regular McCree kills.

Then I went Tracer because I actually wanted the box. Got the team one by just playing Zen. If a TDM meta evolves, I have to imagine Zen is a big part of it, because damn he is handy in those fights.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Hey, something from Jeff on the official forums, in response to some complaints about reporting, namely that someone with over 2000 reports and a year chat ban only getting a 1 week ban from the game for their 3rd ban since launch

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758737651
    You make some really good points and we agree. The reporting and punishment system is currently one of our prime focuses. You will be seeing a developer update about this very soon (we recorded it last week -- not sure when it's going live).

We have short, medium and long term plans and we haven't done a great job in communicating all of these things to you. In the short term we are re-evaluating every punishment and are in the process of converting silences over to suspensions. We're also increasing the length of suspensions. Pretty soon, we hope for silences to go away all together and only have suspensions and bans for punishments (with a few exceptions like forced BattleTag changes for naming violations). Also in the short term, we've been testing an email notification system to let you know when someone you've reported has been actioned. We cannot provide a lot of detail in these emails but they only go out if an action has taken place (meaning your report contributed to someone getting suspended). The other short term thing we just did was ban a number of accounts for boosting in Season 5. These accounts were actioned either yesterday or are in the process of being actioned. They will lose all Season 5 rewards.

In the medium term, we're looking to completely ban repeated Competitive offenders meaning if you've been banned for more than X seasons, we will ban you from ever playing competitive again. We also want to increase the email notification system to other forms of reporting as well as work on an in-game notification system to let you know that your reports are doing something (this will edge more into the long term section -- the in game part). For Season 6, we're going to be way more aggressive with boosting/throwing or any sort of SR manipulation. We have some very smart people who are getting very good at detecting this behavior and we are actively building systems (and punishments) around SR abuse. Also in the medium term, we have a new series of punishments we're going to try that escalates much more quickly (so you don't have egregious cases like the one you're referencing). Basically, extreme offenders will "strike out" of the game much quicker. As part of these increasing punishments, we're looking to make it so that offenders get blocked from Competitive play much sooner -- more details on this as we get closer.

In the long term, we really want to work on systems that encourage positive behavior and reward good players. It really bums us out to spend so much time punishing people for being bad sports. We like making cool, fun game systems -- that's what we do for a living. But because people seem to lack self-control or because people like to abuse anonymity and free speech we're put in a position of spending a tremendous amount of our time and resources policing the community. We will do this as it is our responsibility but we'd like to spend more time rewarding good players rather than having to focus on poor sportsmanship and unacceptable bad behavior so much. Like it or not, this is an "us, the OW community problem" and not just an "OW team problem". For better or for worse, we're in this together.

We're working hard to make changes. I hope you all do too.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I really like Mr. Kaplan a whole bunch.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I dunno, I wasn't impressed with Kaplan's response. It's naive to think you'll win people over with niceness indefinitely offered. Eventually some people will burn a reasonable amount of chances and you just have to give them the boot. Blizzard is way behind in community enforcement strategy.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I dunno, I wasn't impressed with Kaplan's response. It's naive to think you'll win people over with niceness indefinitely offered. Eventually some people will burn a reasonable amount of chances and you just have to give them the boot. Blizzard is way behind in community enforcement strategy.

I don't think that's what he's saying there.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Because he didn't say that at all.

He said they'll ban people and eventually want to encourage people not to be assholes and when they're good get rewarded.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Can't wait to take Valkyrie into solo deathmatch.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    He didn't say that but it's where his last thoughts about preferring to reward go. Blizzard, a year ago, said they would permanently ban people from Overwatch... unfortunately, that had to do with cheating. But abusive peoples? They've been really light, and it's been so long, and even before Overwatch it's a problem online games have faced. Now they're "planning" and such... but honestly, who knows if they'll follow through and to what extent?

I just get the feeling they're reluctant to punish people at all. And that sucks, and it means we have to fucking wait out the toxicity even more.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    crosspostin'

So, indulge me, please, as I edited together my very first FFA DM footage. I get frustrated at the beginning, mostly because I can't aim and NEITHER CAN HANZO...ahem...Anyways, turns out NewHog is BestHog and I love him dearly:

https://youtu.be/Pp6wGnznVvo

• Options
    edited August 2017
    He didn't say that but it's where his last thoughts about preferring to reward go. Blizzard, a year ago, said they would permanently ban people from Overwatch... unfortunately, that had to do with cheating. But abusive peoples? They've been really light, and it's been so long, and even before Overwatch it's a problem online games have faced. Now they're "planning" and such... but honestly, who knows if they'll follow through and to what extent?

I just get the feeling they're reluctant to punish people at all. And that sucks, and it means we have to fucking wait out the toxicity even more.

Well, no, his last thoughts are how they want to make the game more fun, not concentrate on figuring out the best way to get rid of assholes. He also points out that the OW devs are not solely responsible for community actions.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Very little I just dislike being outhealed by a tank

Yeah, this bit from what Jeff said:
    We will do this as it is our responsibility but we'd like to spend more time rewarding good players rather than having to focus on poor sportsmanship and unacceptable bad behavior so much[

Honestly, sprays, fancy modes, they're all great, but if Blizzard could give me a way to avoid toxic players in all forms of the game (I'm not thrilled about abusive/bigoted comp players being dumped out into my QP games, Jeff) would be amazing.

Even if its just being able to permanently block someone from grouping with you and/or being heard by you (and trade & import block lists of jerks like you can do with Twitter). That would be the single best reward any game has ever offered to players that aren't toxic. That please.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Have the punishment for toxic people be similar to the EZ GG filter, except it works for EVERYTHING they try and say for a month

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Addressing it as a community feels like a weird add-on there. I mean, if some shitbird is determined to be an offensive jerk there's not really much I can do. If I'm positive or helpful they may still decide to be a jerk (and usually these sort of people do). About the only thing we can do is report them, which brings it back to Blizzard. Sure, we as individuals can try and better the community, but first off the toxic elements need to be excised and firm ground rules need to be established before this will do any good. It's sort of like this forum; It is not a pleasant place purely because of the posters, but because the mod team works pretty hard to make it pleasant.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I definitely agree that blizzard isn't harsh enough in their punishments, and all you have to do to understand that this is true is play any one of their games for five minutes

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i've got a friend who repeatedly tells me about how he raged out in hots and afked in spawn and so on, and he's made it all the way up to a 64 day silence without getting banned

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I may not have gotten any new skins that I wanted, but Reinhardt's "Ooh, glittering prizes!" line makes me smile every time.

ahaha, that's a reference to old blizzard RTS cheat codes, glitteringprizes was always the give yourself tons of resources one

same with Roadhog's "what's mine is mine"

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    What is "boosting"?

This discussion has been closed.