As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Oxygen Not Included] Breath of Fresh Air! (DLC in Early Access)

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    You can deconstruct every builable thing in the game and rebuild it how you like. You dont have to start over.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Bedlam wrote: »
    You can deconstruct every builable thing in the game and rebuild it how you like. You dont have to start over.

You can get to the point where fixing it is not as fun as starting over with what you learned though.
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I was unhappy with how haphazard all my piping was, so I started over again.

Got another map with a Natural Gas geyser pretty much adjacent to the start area. A cool steam vent nearby, too, but it was covered, so no rush to prevent it from heating my base before I could cool it.

This time I'm a little bit better off, but damn, I cannot do anything quickly. And it's still kind of a mess, but at least it's one with more ways left to move stuff around.

Question: I found a regular steam vent. Can you just plop a steam generator on top of it and just let it run whenever the geyser is erupting? Or is it not worth the extra cooling you need?

For the most part, yes. But though you'll want to send some of the water back into the chamber to keep it from getting too hot (will explain why below,) eventually you'll have to take water out of the chamber the vent is in, or it will eventually flood to the point it won't release steam. Easiest way to deal with the temp IMO would be to use it as the water for your electrolyzers; even if it gets there over 70C you're still getting rid of heat turning it to O2 and H.

Also, you'll want to set 3 automatic airlocks so they would each block one of intakes when closed, then attached each of them to their own temp sensors set to... can't remember, but you can find it on the wiki page for Steam turbines. Reason why is that on 5 intakes the Steam turbine caps out on the power it produces well below 500C, and any extra temp, rather than being deleted, gets released by the turbine. However, it's based on DTUs in the water, not temp, so less valves = less water = fewer DTUs per packet processed, meaning it can continue to delete the majority of heat produced rather than releasing it. The reason why don't have 4 valves set like this is because with only 1 valve the turbine doesn't get the minimum amount of steam needed to actually run at full speed, so it wouldn't be able to generate it's max wattage no matter how hot it is.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019

This is true.

But the absolute mess of piping and ventilation lines would have required a lot of effort to empty before I could disassemble them.

And so far, the most fun I have is in the initial part of the game. The more complex systems get, the less I enjoy them.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    You can deconstruct every buildable thing in the game and rebuild it how you like. You don't have to start over.

This is true.

But the absolute mess of piping and ventilation lines would have required a lot of effort to empty before I could disassemble them.

And so far, the most fun I have is in the initial part of the game. The more complex systems get, the less I enjoy them.

I eventually bit the bullet and pulled half my plumbing out. It wasn't actually that bad, I just had to build a few liquid storage tanks to send everything to while I worked.

My ventilation is still a complete mess, though. And plumbing was just water and polluted water (my oil was already out of the way because I couldn't thread it through the mess that was already there).

Gas pipes have oxygen, hydrogen, natural gas, carbon dioxide, chlorine and polluted oxygen, all mixed together. Eventually I'm going to launch my Clean Air Initiative and get them sorted out (and deal with the massive cloud of slimelung over my base. All my dupes need exosuits for their own protection up there).

(actually, random question; if there's slimelung spread throughout something that dupes don't breathe like natural gas, do they still get exposed to it?)

Aside from tidying that mess up, my current life goals are to set up a fish farm, learn how to catch/ranch pokeshells for lime, then try expanding up to see what this 'space' thing is like.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Space is terrifying and full of regrets.

• Options
    Space is terrifying and full of regrets.

That's the NASA slogan, sure enough.

• Options
    Oh look I can print some paku. And I have a pond I can just chuck em in. Great.

Oh whoops they cant be wrangled. They are just flopping there, suffering I suppose.

Well at least I can mercy kill them for some meat. Sad Tasty Meat.

Oh look three of them have flopped toward a ladder and ended up in a different pond than I intended, but are now living in survivable conditions.

Bedlam Industries: Failing upwards for 50 cycles :+1:

• Options
    Two tile ponds on either side of my printer have become a standard feature of my base designs. Stick a hydraulic door over them and the pacu just fall through while everyone else runs over them.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    So, pursuing that rocket doesn't seem to be super high on my to do list.

I'm past cycle 800 and I just finished doing a complete teardown and rebuild. I had an idea about temperature management that I wanted to pursue and it actually works.

My industrial area now separates the different machinery. Metal refinery is its own room, glass refinery, etc. I have the aquatuner chilling polluted water down to about 0 degrees and then each room has a temp sensor. If it goes above 22, cold water is piped in, otherwise it skips the room. That way, it only cools rooms when necessary instead of all the time.

My one error - I have it piping into a cool steam geyser. I should have made that the last link in the chain. Power plant cooling is the last link. So that's made things a bit more complicated.

I've also rebuilt my critter handling so that dupe involvement is at a minimum.

The one thing that requires my constant attention: I have too much power. Well, not power, but materials for power. My coal storage is full and I'm not burning it fast enough to clear room for the hatch 'waste'. The reason I can't clear it fast enough is that I have to run the hydrogen generator to make sure my oxygen generation doesn't get stopped up by my hydrogen storage being full.

This doesn't even count the natural gas generators that rarely run. I have a natural gas geyser harnessed and almost never need to draw gas from it.

BUT

Heading towards rocketry, I assume my power needs are going to increase alot, and I'll eventually need liquid hydrogen? So maybe I'll stop using hydrogen for power at that point.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    You’ll need LH for end game rockets. Steam and then LO will keep you going for awhile but once you build up a small surplus of a couple thousand Kg of LH, you’re ok unless you’re cycling many rockets. I have found rockets to be super tedious and really disjointed from the rest of the game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I've seen a trick somewhere for infinite or close to it hydrogen storage. I haven't used it yet (not enough hydrogen to justify it, so I still consider it cheating. I'll be okay with it eventually, I'm sure).
    I can't find it now, but it's something like using a bunch of airlocks to force it into one tile, or something?

• Options
    Anyone have good designs for Sleetwheat farms? I set something up in a remote ice biome with the idea of automating the entire thing, but I can't seem to get water to them without it heating up the farm way too much.
    I was using insulated pipes and getting the water in there at about 10C (which is as low as I can reliably get it without freezing it, but that's still too warm.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Anyone have good designs for Sleetwheat farms? I set something up in a remote ice biome with the idea of automating the entire thing, but I can't seem to get water to them without it heating up the farm way too much.
    I was using insulated pipes and getting the water in there at about 10C (which is as low as I can reliably get it without freezing it, but that's still too warm.

I never did mess with it sadly. I went with meat since any plants use SO MUCH water. I ended up using wild sleetwheat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I have too much sleet wheat as it is just from the cold biomes, but a temperature controlled cooling tank might work.

Run your cooling loop to low temps , and put a thermo sensor in a tank of water to only run coolant through if the water temp is above 4 or 5 degrees? That way the coolant temp can fluctuate, and the water will only be chilled if warms above 5.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »

You could mix in some Wheezeworts, every 4 tiles or so, since you're using a cold biome that's already at the right temp, that should keep the plants below 5C (especially if you are pre-cooling the water as low as you can.)

If you're willing to do a major construction, you could also run an cooling loop with Ethanol or Crude Oil, both of which can be brought to much lower temps than P.water, and try to offset it that way (Ethanol would be better, higher thermal capacity, but that requires a rust biome and/or arbor trees.)

If those fail though, you might have to give up on automating the irrigation and have your dupes hand-deliver the water. This won't prevent the water from warming the hydroponic tile and the sleet wheat planted in it, but it *does* mean less "warm" water sitting around, waiting to be consumed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    New patch in testing, with new content

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/113513-meeps-mandatory-recreation-content-pack-available-for-testing-379337/

Re: Sleet wheat, the other thing you can do is just create wild farms. Look up Pip planting for how you do this. From there it shouldnt be too hard to build a cooling loop to keep things nice and chilly. (Though i do tend towards complete overkill with cooling injector designs)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    So, my rebuild is done. The important part - the industrial zone and it's cooling:
    FA056754F9CC29A468468AE23EB43705505C9D10

Piping map for the room by room cooling:
    23325901D25A9D79079FF9AC7E86AC83809B3640

And my rebuilt critter management:
    A947F0E2DC1D7A4C7CBA0B202D71821783496A4F

The critter management zone is really nice because it requires no intervention. And I'm finally using up enough coal to keep the critter pens clean.

• Options
    edited November 2019
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Also 33% off on the weekend.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    No one:

Shine Bugs: Look at me Im entombed in a tile again! ^___^

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So I could use some help. I just started playing, and I'm trying to get my liquid pumps to pump water, and they just keep saying "pipe is blocked" without saying why, and I can't figure out what's wrong.

pBRRTlol.jpg

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    The pipe is connected to the outlet not the intake of the buildings

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Yeah you gotta reverse your pipes.

White is intake for fresh water and green is output for polluted water.

It actually says that in the upper right hand tooltip. Though it can be hard to grok for your first time. I had to look up plumbing as well.

Also that pipe by the plant isnt doing anything. You would need a vent if you wanted to pipe water to a different location.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    So I could use some help. I just started playing, and I'm trying to get my liquid pumps to pump water, and they just keep saying "pipe is blocked" without saying why, and I can't figure out what's wrong.

pBRRTlol.jpg

The green arrows mean outputs from the device. You’ve got all the outputs tied together. You need to put the output of the pump to the inputs of the lavatories. Then the outputs of the lavatories to your drain

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Ahhh, thanks for that. Another question I have is, what temperatures do Duplicants find comfortable? It feels like anything below like 90 degrees Fahrenheit is considered chilly.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Ahhh, thanks for that. Another question I have is, what temperatures do Duplicants find comfortable? It feels like anything below like 90 degrees Fahrenheit is considered chilly.

Frankly them being chilly is entirely ignorable. It's a minor source of stress which is easily countered by halfway decent base design, and that's it. You should only worry about temp for dupes if they're taking damage.

That said, the be pretty happy in 20-30 degree temps, which is a nice range to keep things at in general (good for most crops, avoiding building overheat, etc)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    They get chilly when they have to work in water. But sometimes that's inevitable.

• Options
    edited November 2019

There is an option in the temp overlay for dupe heat loss/retention that will show you the places dupes get hot or chilly.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

One thing I’ll recommend is to switch to working in Celsius. Many of the things work better in that system as well as most of the tutorials being done in Celsius and you don’t have to convert.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ToyD wrote: »
    One thing I’ll recommend is to switch to working in Celsius.
    NICE TRY, QUEEN ELIZABETH!

DEMOCRACY WILL BE SAFE FOR ANOTHER DAY!

• Options
    I find Dupes get the cold dialogue image even when going into warm (like, 35+ degrees) water.

• Options
    Nobody:

Klei Entertainment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV1rZerf31Q

• Options
    edited December 2019
    I built a hot tub for the first time. It says the water needs to get up to 99.9 degrees to be comfortable for them, and then it says the overheat temperature is 99.9 degrees :|

Is this a massive oversight or did i do something wrong?

Bedlam on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I built a hot tub for the first time. It says the water needs to get up to 99.9 degrees to be comfortable for them, and then it says the overheat temperature is 99.9 degrees :|

Sounds like it just means you can't run it continuously and will need a way to cool it. The material temperature will be lower than the water temperature for some time.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote: »

Sounds like it just means you can't run it continuously and will need a way to cool it. The material temperature will be lower than the water temperature for some time.
    Heating the water makes the tub too hot and they won't use it.

Cooling the tub makes the water too cold and they won't use it.

So fuck it, they get a jukebox instead.

• Options
    What is the tub made out of? I'm guessing you need to use materials with a higher overheat temp.

• Options
    I usually just use the default but you might be on to something. Gold Amalgam and Steel increase the overheat temperature.

Moot point for me since I won that game with the colonize imperative the other day. 347 cycles.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    There is a new news post today, Klei is officially planning new DLC in the future. No date or hints at the moment but the game will still be supported. While another part of the team is working out bugs and performance updates.

Edit: Also I think the soundtrack released recently, for anyone interested in that.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Edit: Also I think the soundtrack released recently, for anyone interested in that.
    Oh Klei uploaded it to youtube for anyone interested. Love that title:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCCfVbmEVHw

• Options
    New Free Update Pack, new short:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9N3CRrrkfE