As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Oxygen Not Included] Breath of Fresh Air! (DLC in Early Access)

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Metal Volcanoes literally drop refined metal onto the ground, albeit at very high temperatures, so if you have a way to cool the metal you are all set, as long as the Volcano is active.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Metal Volcanoes literally drop refined metal onto the ground, albeit at very high temperatures, so if you have a way to cool the metal you are all set, as long as the Volcano is active.

Huh, cool, i'll have to have a fiddle then.

As an aside, i just learned osmething useful for broaching slime biomes - if you can, attack it from below and have a pool of water below any Slime. Ideally, it plops straight into the water, and then it cannot offgass Polluted Oxygen - which means it cant offgass Slimelung germs.

Also i managed to make an area around a AETN so cold that it solve any CO2 issues in the area. That is to say, the C02 simply froze solid.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

Here is a suggested design that seems quite simple for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDPt3Mqyj34

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Thanks. Same with an Electrolyzer ?

Yup. Anything that dicatates it wants a specific liquid, you have to feed that liquid into it. Feeding any other liquid (Or Gas in the case of things that use gas) will result in the machine taking damage and eventually wrecking itself.

There is one exception though. The water sieve normally takes P.water to change into water but it can take normal water and not get damaged, just let it pass through the other end.

Hmm, so if you want you can slowly clean up a pool of polluted water by just dumping the clean water back in after filtering it?

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

Yup. Anything that dicatates it wants a specific liquid, you have to feed that liquid into it. Feeding any other liquid (Or Gas in the case of things that use gas) will result in the machine taking damage and eventually wrecking itself.

There is one exception though. The water sieve normally takes P.water to change into water but it can take normal water and not get damaged, just let it pass through the other end.

Hmm, so if you want you can slowly clean up a pool of polluted water by just dumping the clean water back in after filtering it?

Techincally possible, but you'd get small blobs of polluted water left in it. Also any germs tend to be happier breeding in polluted water.

ONe thing you could potnetially do is chill the entire pool to about -10, if you've access to that level of cooling - The water will freeze, the polluted water will not. (Be careful when pumping chilled polluted water into a sieve - It'll be cleaned, then insntatly freeze on the other side damaging and even breaking pipes. Honestly though, i'd just stick a pump feeding into a filter and dump the clean water into storage tanks, ponteially kept in the same area if you really want to keep the water in the same area. you can always smash em open once hte pool's drained

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

Techincally possible, but you'd get small blobs of polluted water left in it. Also any germs tend to be happier breeding in polluted water.

ONe thing you could potnetially do is chill the entire pool to about -10, if you've access to that level of cooling - The water will freeze, the polluted water will not. (Be careful when pumping chilled polluted water into a sieve - It'll be cleaned, then insntatly freeze on the other side damaging and even breaking pipes. Honestly though, i'd just stick a pump feeding into a filter and dump the clean water into storage tanks, ponteially kept in the same area if you really want to keep the water in the same area. you can always smash em open once hte pool's drained

Or go the opposite way and heat that sucker up. Steam will go through an airflow tile, but after condensing won't go back.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    another interesting trick with ONI's physics, world rules, etc. is liquids in the wild compared to liquids in a storage tank.
    liquids that feed into a storage tank tend to normalize quicker at a specific temperature. just using broad numbers (not exact numbers), but feeding 5C water into a nearly full 70c storage tank will normalize all the water into a slowly descending temperature (output water goes 69c, 68c, 67c, etc. No packets of 5c and 70c flipping and spazzing out a temperature sensor/filter. and the bonus of a storage tank is it acts as a giant buffer without taking up all the space in the pipe layer.

normalizing a pool of water in the wild takes significantly longer because the heat has to transfer tile by tile throughout the pool, and you have a hot water pocket compared to a cold water pocket initially.

so if you need/want a controlled water temperature moving through pipes, putting it in a storage tank helps to even out different temp water packets in the pipes.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Here is a suggested design that seems quite simple for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDPt3Mqyj34

That is...fairly complicated and over-engineered. Also very out of date because it uses pre-launch wheezeworts.

If you have access to steam turbines and steel for the aquatuner, you can do much more efficient setups that will net you a decent amount of power. Just note that in that video, the metal is coming out as a liquid, but if you submerge a volcano in petroleum, it will drop it's output as a solid (including actual volcanoes dropping igneous rock instead of liquid magma), which is much easier to manage.

You don't have to submerge it, but I honestly haven't found a compelling reason not to do it in game yet?

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I've finally come back to this game, and it is even more complicated than I remember. My verdante base is slowly stabilizing now that I have a pseudo-spom setup (though it is currently out of commission since a pipe in the middle of it broke, probably because I put water in the cooling loop when I should have used polluted water). I'm close to setting up mushroom and salad farms, finally letting my poor dupes eat something other than meal lice.

My power setup is still incredibly primitive and it's high time I set up a proper coal power plant and metal refinery. This has led to me thinking about ways to sustainably cool them. One idea I've had is a kind of passive cooling using the difference in boiling point between polluted water and regular water. Presumably I should be able to run polluted water through my metal refinery to above 100 degrees, passing it through radiant pipes in a reservoir of regular water to make it boil. A steam turbine above that reservoir would then turn any excess heat into power that can be exported into my grid.

The main issue I see is that if the metal refinery heats the water more than 20 degrees at a time it might boil and burst the pipes, necessitating the use of liquids with considerably higher boiling points. The second issue is that using this system to cool a generator room would make that room hover around 100 degrees, which is way too hot for dupe maintenance. I suppose a possible solution would be combining the system with thermo aquatuners? The passively siphoned heat from the metal refiner can help power the thermo aquatuners that siphon heat from the power plant.

Does this sound viable? I'm still pretty clueless about power and heat management.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I just had an interesting diaster domions chain where a failure to notice how i'd tweaked door privleges, plus power problems with my SPOM lead to a cascading base failure.

Whooooooops.

Re: Your questions @Vic ... Honestly, my coal power plant Right now is kept cool through two fold:

One, it's output is all routed through a Smart power battery, which is linked ot the coal generators. Set to 80/40. So it'll turn off the generators when the battery is 80% full, and kicks them back on when it falls below 40%. (Numbers will be tweaked as i bring in more power supplies). the main upshot of this is the Coal Generators are not running 24/7.

Other, it's got Weezewhorts built around it on some of it's sides/above + being surround by Igneous Rock Insulated tiles.

The Steam Turbine/Radiant pipe boiling trick is one i still need to setup, but it's a good one. Honestly, right now i just have a dump tank for my metal refinery water that's then shipped back into my base - and all water in my base is forced through a chlorine-kill room anyway, which also has wheezeworts growing in it to help chill it. Works pretty well, really. Heck, this is even with pumping in the excess from Cool Steam Geysers into my base, when the spom dosent need it (Admittedly, goes through an Ice biome which does ease things, and my SPOM is built in an ice biome right by a AETN, so i've got some edges on cooling, but it's still a minimalist/lazy approach to cooling my base)

Heck, here's a screenshot of my bases temperature overlay:
    18475C5B21551CB1FF44A80FC886A32353FE9060

you can see my egg room is way more of a temp issue than my coal room (Coal room is lower right hand corner, egg room is High central right)

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I just had an interesting diaster domions chain where a failure to notice how i'd tweaked door privleges, plus power problems with my SPOM lead to a cascading base failure.

Whooooooops.

Re: Your questions @Vic ... Honestly, my coal power plant Right now is kept cool through two fold:

One, it's output is all routed through a Smart power battery, which is linked ot the coal generators. Set to 80/40. So it'll turn off the generators when the battery is 80% full, and kicks them back on when it falls below 40%. (Numbers will be tweaked as i bring in more power supplies). the main upshot of this is the Coal Generators are not running 24/7.

Other, it's got Weezewhorts built around it on some of it's sides/above + being surround by Igneous Rock Insulated tiles.

The Steam Turbine/Radiant pipe boiling trick is one i still need to setup, but it's a good one. Honestly, right now i just have a dump tank for my metal refinery water that's then shipped back into my base - and all water in my base is forced through a chlorine-kill room anyway, which also has wheezeworts growing in it to help chill it. Works pretty well, really. Heck, this is even with pumping in the excess from Cool Steam Geysers into my base, when the spom dosent need it (Admittedly, goes through an Ice biome which does ease things, and my SPOM is built in an ice biome right by a AETN, so i've got some edges on cooling, but it's still a minimalist/lazy approach to cooling my base)

you can see my egg room is way more of a temp issue than my coal room (Coal room is lower right hand corner, egg room is High central right)

Good to know about the coal power thing!

I've thought a little further on passive cooling, and I think a big issue is that the metal refiner will inevitably be sitting with hot water in its input radiating heat. Limiting the water in the loop to just one input might ensure that it never has sitting water while it's running (but also slow it considerably), but as soon as it turns off the 100-degree water will go back to the input and sit there radiating heat.

Ultimately I might just want to settle for a thermal aquatuner + steam turbine setup.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Vic wrote: »

Whooooooops.

Good to know about the coal power thing!

I've thought a little further on passive cooling, and I think a big issue is that the metal refiner will inevitably be sitting with hot water in its input radiating heat. Limiting the water in the loop to just one input might ensure that it never has sitting water while it's running (but also slow it considerably), but as soon as it turns off the 100-degree water will go back to the input and sit there radiating heat.

Ultimately I might just want to settle for a thermal aquatuner + steam turbine setup.

Use insulated pipes.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Anyone want to help an idiot?
    I've set up my bathrooms to support themselves (I know it's overkill at the moment, but I'm planning to add more sleeping/eating space above and below, and wanted to get the plumbing all sorted out first):
    584iac9yjybi.jpg
    I thought the excess waste water pipes should both meet in the middle then go back to my polluted water storage, but the bottom one seems to think it's an input pipe, so it just sits there and waits to go into the filter rather than just going past if the pipe is full.
    Original the top bathroom was feeding all the way down to the bottom filter, but the bridge at least managed to catch that and send it the right way.

How have I messed this up, and how can I fix it?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    klemming wrote: »
    I've set up my bathrooms to support themselves (I know it's overkill at the moment, but I'm planning to add more sleeping/eating space above and below, and wanted to get the plumbing all sorted out first):
    584iac9yjybi.jpg
    I thought the excess waste water pipes should both meet in the middle then go back to my polluted water storage, but the bottom one seems to think it's an input pipe, so it just sits there and waits to go into the filter rather than just going past if the pipe is full.
    Original the top bathroom was feeding all the way down to the bottom filter, but the bridge at least managed to catch that and send it the right way.

You've backed up the dirty water output beyond the bridge. The game prioritizes the bridge entry and thus the output.

I'd have to experiment with it in person but I think the fix is to make another pipe straight past the first bridge entry then another bridge to the right.

So instead of having a bridge pointing downward ypu would have two bridges pointing horizontally. The first one would have a pipe going downward from its output to the sieve. Then a pipe going past its input to a second pipe which will connect with a second bridge that skips the first bridges output.

I dont think the water will go to the second bridge unless the first one is backed up.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    @Vic what you're describing is more or less the ideal way to deal with the refinery. Just use petrol as your coolant, water or polluted water will vaporize when making steel.

@klemming Bridge one line into the other and eliminate the bridge out to storage. Because you have the output of a bridge at the other end of the shared line from the backup, the game sees the bridge where it's backing up as the only valid output for the bottom system.

When setting up any sort of storage/feeding line, you always want a single uninterrupted line to/from storage with everything else bridging into/off of it.

Edit: to be clear, you weren't wrong expecting it to work. It's just how the game handles that is a bit weird.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    What is the deal with the huge amou t of pipe bridges at the exists at the toilets instead of just a pipe?

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I'm basically copying from a guide that seemed to think this was the best way to do it. I assumed that it knew what it was talking about more than I do.

edit: thanks for the help, what Mvrck said fixed it. I think Jebus would have been right as well.

klemming on
  • Options
    T-junctions cause lag. Basically every time a packet hits a t-junction, the game has to evaluate which direction the packet goes. If you bridge in, there is no pathfinding for the game to do.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    T-junctions cause lag. Basically every time a packet hits a t-junction, the game has to evaluate which direction the packet goes. If you bridge in, there is no pathfinding for the game to do.

I guess that matters if you're playing to cycle 800.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    584iac9yjybi.jpg

Move the central bridge one tile to the left, make the path to your main supply begin with an actual T joint rather than a input.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    584iac9yjybi.jpg

Move the central bridge one tile to the left, make the path to your main supply begin with an actual T joint rather than a input.

I think Foefaller has it, but my question is why are you using liquid bridges for the fresh water supply to jump over the intake on the toilet/sink when you could just T a pipe straight to the intake?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote: »

I mean, it's less about cycles and more it hangs the game depending on how many you have. It gets especially noticible going into/out of pipe view and whenever you add new pipes to a line.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular

I mean, it's less about cycles and more it hangs the game depending on how many you have. It gets especially noticible going into/out of pipe view and whenever you add new pipes to a line.

At that point, why not just send the one pipe directly through all the inputs? Why do you have a bus with a bunch of junctions if the pipe is ALREADY junctioned off of a main line and dedicated to that particular purpose?

• Options
    Rend wrote: »

At that point, why not just send the one pipe directly through all the inputs? Why do you have a bus with a bunch of junctions if the pipe is ALREADY junctioned off of a main line and dedicated to that particular purpose?

Pipes are negative decor but running them through the tile cancels that. So I run them down to the tile.

• Options

For self sustaining bathrooms specifically, I like having a couple packets in reserve to refill the system before the water filter returns the freshly cleaned stuff. That way there are no accidents while the water filter does it's thing.

Though I also store clean water excess, not polluted.

• Options
    Daimar wrote: »
    584iac9yjybi.jpg

I think Foefaller has it, but my question is why are you using liquid bridges for the fresh water supply to jump over the intake on the toilet/sink when you could just T a pipe straight to the intake?

Because I'm not very good at this game? Like I said, the guide I saw did it, so I assumed there was a benefit I wasn't seeing due to not really knowing how it worked. Like, bridges taking full priority was a new thing I learned from it, so it wasn't wasted.

• Options

Pipes are negative decor but running them through the tile cancels that. So I run them down to the tile.

They seem to have changed that - I have pipes running visibly in my base, and the decor overlay shows no negative decor.

As an aside, for interest, here's the stae of my current bases plumbing system - it's a little bit spaghetti, but hopefully it's grokable/helpful for you @klemming
    83662B1DECB3C0DA1F4B7A84E4EC1BA6FEC7B91F

Main thing is that it's setup so the waste water from the toilets is a: sent to feed some arbor trees as a priority (Which are in turn feeding pips/generating wood for me... which will give me Ethanol eventually), and failing that: Sent back to a water filter. You can see the the Arbor Tree line is full currently, so the waste water is simply going into the Filter right now.

From there, clean water is sent back to the Lavatories & Sinks as priorities, and failing that, back down into an isolated system that runs it through a chlorine storage loop to cleanse it of germs, at which point the clean purified water is dumped back in my water reserve (...Which is doubling as a low-effort pacu farm, because Eh, why not? Hardly costs me anything except occasional dumps of algae, and it's not like i'm using Algae for anything else anyway...)

It's definitely worth looking up how bridges work in this game, as you can use them for some clever tricks. One notable property of bridges - they move nothing across them, they simply teleport whatever form the Input to the Output. Which means the water is untouched by heater, whatever etc.

The game also prioritises sending stuff through inputs if it can - so clever use of T-Junctions and Bridges can give you a lot of control where substances go and when (Hopefully you can figure out some of how i've used that from my screenshot? I'm... still learning the logic of it myself <.<). I.e i've got a a t-junction setup to split Phosperite output from my dreckos via Conveyor Belts - half is sent to storage, half is split again, and sent to two separate wheezewort areas where i dont want dupes accessing...

One side note: If you're going to combine water supplies like i have, be Very Careful. I have had to dump the main water tank repeatedly due to Food poisoning infestations, though i think I've finally got it fixed. (Turns out the main issue was misaligned doors & sinks, causing duplicates to walk around cover in Food Poisoning germs... and end up moving it into the tank when they went in there. Whoops.)

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    ni0wa6r1a8j31.png?width=640&height=509&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=5f060bc8c88dd3d1903fbf57a664f9a8c8f84749

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Sooooo. I just figured out something real coool you could do. Smart Batteries right? I mainly use them to stagger my power system, so inefficent sources come online only when the System is under heavy load.

Buuuuuuut! You can go furhter with this. Before each sub network (Say, my incubator setups), stick a smart battery... then stick a NOT gate, and link it into the Power Transformer. Now you can ensure these systems only run when there's at least X% of power being provided.

(I think this is useful. I think!)

• Options
    Could be a good way to make sure you don't accidentally drain yourself and lock your dupes in the base when the suit docks go unpowered.

Also you should be able to skip the not gate, you can adjust both the top and bottom threshold on smart batteries.

• Options
    Could be a good way to make sure you don't accidentally drain yourself and lock your dupes in the base when the suit docks go unpowered.

Also you should be able to skip the not gate, you can adjust both the top and bottom threshold on smart batteries.

The bottom threshold cannot go below the top threshold. So the idea here is to have systems that simply cannot run if the base is say, below 50% power charge - which needs a NOT gate to reverse the Smart Batteries automation outputs. (Smart batteries look at charge across their entire network, so if you plug them into your main power trunk, you can use them as a control for the entire network. Like right now my base is mainly coal powered, but i have a reserve of Hydrogen channelled into Hydrogen Generators, that kick in as emergency power to refill the network when it drops too low)

• Options

The bottom threshold cannot go below the top threshold. So the idea here is to have systems that simply cannot run if the base is say, below 50% power charge - which needs a NOT gate to reverse the Smart Batteries automation outputs. (Smart batteries look at charge across their entire network, so if you plug them into your main power trunk, you can use them as a control for the entire network. Like right now my base is mainly coal powered, but i have a reserve of Hydrogen channelled into Hydrogen Generators, that kick in as emergency power to refill the network when it drops too low)

Yeah, no I was being dumb and thinking you could stick the battery behind the transformer but that wouldn't accomplish anything useful.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    You generally have to be careful sticking batteries behind transformers as they can easily overload small wires

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019

Speaking of, does wallpaper negate the decor effects of pipes etc? It seems to cover them.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    ni0wa6r1a8j31.png?width=640&height=509&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=5f060bc8c88dd3d1903fbf57a664f9a8c8f84749

I currently have a 3 stacked liquid airlock in a cap so the dupes jump to avoid the wet debuff locking off the chlorine room in my base.

It is kinds nerve racking because it does not look stable, but so far it's holding.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    So, I started a new map because the old one managed to get covered with slimelung, and everyone wants to sweep up everything that's lying around. Has there been an update that changes the priority of that?
    If I make something a 6 or higher, they'll go and do it as normal. But anything lower and they won't touch it while there's a single loose material they can store somewhere.

It used to be literally the last thing anyone wanted to do unless I ordered them to.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So, I started a new map because the old one managed to get covered with slimelung, and everyone wants to sweep up everything that's lying around. Has there been an update that changes the priority of that?
    If I make something a 6 or higher, they'll go and do it as normal. But anything lower and they won't touch it while there's a single loose material they can store somewhere.

It used to be literally the last thing anyone wanted to do unless I ordered them to.

What is the priority of the containers at? If it has a higher priority than other jobs they will focus on filling it.

Ration boxes and fridges get priority boost that makes them more important than most other jobs of the same priority, but getting all your food to one place is usually something you want.

Other than food though, storage jobs are IIRC suppose to be dead last when compared to other jobs of the same priority; dupes only do that without a sweep command when there is nothing else to do at that priority level. If you are still having a problem you can go to the priorities tab and move "storage" down a notch for everyone, though you probably want one person still at the same level to make sure someone is collecting all the food before the hatches get to it.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    This was all defaults, so 5. Priorities were all normal as well (Individual ones for research/decorating etc, but nothing that would affect these jobs). Apparently all else being even, they think picking up dirt is their number one priority, and that CO2 pit I want to build can go to hell.
    And on further examination it does seem to be just dirt. All the sandstone and algae are just left behind.

I'm only a dozen cycles in, I may just restart and see if that fixes it.

• Options
    This was all defaults, so 5. Priorities were all normal as well (Individual ones for research/decorating etc, but nothing that would affect these jobs). Apparently all else being even, they think picking up dirt is their number one priority, and that CO2 pit I want to build can go to hell.
    And on further examination it does seem to be just dirt. All the sandstone and algae are just left behind.

I'm only a dozen cycles in, I may just restart and see if that fixes it.

Dirt might be being prioritised so that they can feed plants etc. (I've acutally... run out of dirt, really in my current game. it's a bit awkard.). Hopefully my pacu farm and other shenanigans can pick up the slack, otherwise i'm going to have to make a roasting pit and start dropping Fertiliser in there to bake into dirt.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Can you not use a rock crusher to crush up some rocks into dirt?