As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Gritty [NHL] Thread - The Blues Kinda Forgot They Were Dead Last in January...

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Ryan Strome!

Yup, that sure is a downgrade at the position.

Why make that trade? Why trade Eberle?

This coming season Draisaitil needs a contract. I'm going to guess his number is 8 million. Next season McDavid needs a new contract, and that number will whatever number he puts on the cheque. Personally I'll be thrilled if his number is 9.7.

That's why Eberle is gone. It's not that Eberle isn't good. He's one of the top 15 RW's in the league. But something has to give. And Chiarelli decided to spend $6 million on the boat anchor that is Lucic's contract.

Yeah, some of that makes sense. But It also seems to me, that the oilers should be in win now mode. Couldn't they have resigned draisaitil and kept eberle for this year, tried to win a cup, and moved eberle at the next deadline to free space for McDavid? Or held Eberle until the trade deadline and moved him to a different contender for a better return and then signed McD.

Entry level contracts for McD and Draisaitil is the best time to try and win a cup. So much value with so little money.

I think with the huge flux with Vegas coming into the league that it's way easier to move bigger contracts this draft/offseason than it has in a long time. For example, the only reason the Islanders were really able to do this was because they cut a deal with Vegas to get Grabovski's contract off their hands.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Hjalmerssan to Arizona for D Connor Murphy and F Laurent Dauphin.

and Panarin to CBJ for Saad.

The first one kind of hurts, but hammer's obviously starting to show age and miles. After being FF% from 53-57 during the cup years, he dropped to 51 in 15-16, and 49 last season. But they are so thin on D getting rid of one is an odd move, even if its to go younger.

The other one is just...IDK. Saad is a good player, but Panarin has been a top 10 scorer the last 2 seasons. Even if that was with tons of PP time, and playing with Kane. Cap hits are the same so but Saad is signed through 2021, vs Panarin's 2019...

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Man, what is Chicago doing?

Or NYR for that matter. Rantaa and Stepan sent to the Coyotes. Weirdness

:so_raven:
  • Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    Gotta get to that cap floor somehow

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Invectivus wrote: »
    Gotta get to that cap floor somehow

I don't think they're even noticeably reducing their cap hit with these trades! Hjallmarsson only makes 250k more/season than Murphy, and Dauphin is another 750k

• Options
    Hjalmerssan to Arizona for D Connor Murphy and F Laurent Dauphin.

and Panarin to CBJ for Saad.

The first one kind of hurts, but hammer's obviously starting to show age and miles. After being FF% from 53-57 during the cup years, he dropped to 51 in 15-16, and 49 last season. But they are so thin on D getting rid of one is an odd move, even if its to go younger.

The other one is just...IDK. Saad is a good player, but Panarin has been a top 10 scorer the last 2 seasons. Even if that was with tons of PP time, and playing with Kane. Cap hits are the same so but Saad is signed through 2021, vs Panarin's 2019...
    I've read that both Kane and Toews really pushed that they both wanted Saad back. Doesn't excuse shipping out Panarin though.

• Options
    I think what Chicago will say about Saad/Panarin is that they get cost certainty on Saad. They know what he's making for the next 5 years. Panarin has one year left on a bridge deal and they were worried the contract he would ask for would have been more than they could take on.

I have no idea why they would trade Hjalmarsson though.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Kane and Toews outside Stan Bowman's window

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-enjcgV1o

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    I think Saad is better defensively than Panarin. And like previously said, they're signed to a similar amount, except Saad is signed for longer. Plus he's a year younger and a known quantity to boot.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I think what Chicago will say about Saad/Panarin is that they get cost certainty on Saad. They know what he's making for the next 5 years. Panarin has one year left on a bridge deal and they were worried the contract he would ask for would have been more than they could take on.

I have no idea why they would trade Hjalmarsson though.

I'm just going to quote this from FaxesFromUncleDale (formerly TheCommittedIndian)
    It wasn’t just Seabrook getting torched by the Predators last year. It was Hammer too. And as we’ve said repeatedly the past couple years, the aging curve on a less-than-mobile puck bag that Hammer was can get very ugly in an awful hurry. Think Rob Scuderi. Think Robyn Regehr. Think Niklas Kronwall. Think Brooks Orpik. Not pretty, no?

For the second half of last year, it looked like it could be starting down that path. He’s 30 now, which means he’s certainly past his prime years. You’re not going to get 2013 Hammer again. While this isn’t selling as high as you possibly can on an asset you can cash in on, it’s close. This is what you do to assets you think could depreciate in a hurry.
    Hammer’s Corsi the last half of last season was 48.0%. His scoring-chance percentage was 46%. Those marks were down from 53% in both categories just two years ago. No matter your emotional attachment, he’s on the back nine of his career.

Connor Murphy, ideally, is Niklas Hjalmarsson minus six years and a fuckton of playoff miles. He was on Arizona’s top pairing last year, and as awful as they were and starting most of his shifts in the defensive zone, he was above the team rate in Corsi. Yeah, it helps to play with OEL but OEL was actually worse off without him. Murphy is also a legitimate 6-3 instead of a Hjalmarsson “6-3.” And he’s the same skater as Hammer. Yeah, there’s still work to do with him but he’s entering his prime and if Q and Ulf are the d-men whisperers they certainly want to claim they are, the Hawks could have an absolute monster on their hands.

Like emotionally this one really sucks, he was always a personal favorite. But adv stats and the eyetest both show him dropping off from a reliable #2-3 Dman. With only 2 seasons left on his deal, that probably wouldn't have been the end of the world. But it's still not great.

Here's his career Fenwick% : 51.7, 57.1,53.0, 53.8, 54.2, 54.6, 53.1, 51.5, 49.5

I don't think either of these moves happen without the Hossa news. For as much as people read recapture penalty circumvention in that, he was still a solid player 26 goals last season and played PK minutes. My read on it is that the plan is no longer "win now" and is instead "win in 2-3 years", At which point Panarin and Hjalmarsson would have been UFAs, and Hjalmarrson 32. By trading Hjalmarsson, they are basically hoping to get a piece in place for that window.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    I would imagine Hossa's situation plays into that too ... Toews needs a big body to be paired with

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    I like these moves for Chicago; they're probably the best moves since they had to sell off assets because they forgot how to qualify restricted free agents. They're trading aging assets that still have value for younger assets that have term. They're the kind of moves I wished the Kings would have entertained the past couple of years.

• Options
    KPC wrote: »
    I like these moves for Chicago; they're probably the best moves since they had to sell off assets because they forgot how to qualify restricted free agents. They're trading aging assets that still have value for younger assets that have term. They're the kind of moves I wished the Kings would have entertained the past couple of years.

See the kings problem is that their aging assets didn't/don't have value.

• Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    Hjalmarsson is not Hammer.

Dan Hamhuis is Hammer.

• Options
    Turn the draft coverage on and all the talk about the draft order is making me angry about the lottery all over again.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    So the Caps just signed Oshie for 8 years, average $5.75mil/year

They're uh

Really gambling on his career-best season last year not being an outlier, aren't they

At least he's not like, 30 and statistically likely to be at or about to pass his peak, right?

Hopefully they can afford to fill their other roster spots with what little cap space they have left at this point.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Caps players who still need new contracts for next season (or someone signed to replace them):

Justin Williams (UFA)
    Brett Connolly
    Daniel Winnick (UFA)
    Andre Burakovsky
    Evgeni Kuznetsov

Karl Alzner (UFA)
    Kevin Shattenkirk (UFA)
    Dmitri Orlov

Phillipp Grubauer

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    I think the Caps might have just saddled themselves with a Loui Eriksson situation.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    Kinda hilarious how Bettman goes full Palpatine off of being booed.

• Options
    KPC wrote: »

See the kings problem is that their aging assets didn't/don't have value.

I would argue that they did. After 2012 Brown's stock had never been higher. After 2014, Gaborik's had never been higher. Instead the Kings signed them to deadly long term deals. Could have dealt them for younger players and picks.

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    So the Caps just signed Oshie for 8 years, average $5.75mil/year

They're uh

Really gambling on his career-best season last year not being an outlier, aren't they

At least he's not like, 30 and statistically likely to be at or about to pass his peak, right?

Hopefully they can afford to fill their other roster spots with what little cap space they have left at this point.

It's a Dustin Brown deal. Good luck.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Well, at least none of yall traded a prospect and a 1st round pick for a 4th line plugger.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Man, Jim Nill has really done a stellar job as GM for the stars this year.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    There goes Hamonic to Calgary, 1st and 2 2nds, 4th goes back to CGY

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Calgary gets Hamonic for picks, Edmonton gets Russell for a 4x4 overpay.

I really don't like Chiarelli much these days.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    The Leafs have done surprisingly little so far, aside from signing a couple Swedish defencemen from their elite league a few weeks back, and I'm okay with that. They could use a bit of tightening up on defence, but I worry about who they might have to give up to trade for established D. Rumour was they were in the running for Hamonic, and the cost was going to be James Van Riemsdyk and that would sting. Apparently they weren't expecting Liljegren to still be available by the time the draft got to them, and that caused them to reconsider the Hamonic deal.

Also their second round pick is a 6'7" Finnish defender who lists Chara as his favourite player

• Options
    vsove wrote: »
    Calgary gets Hamonic for picks, Edmonton gets Russell for a 4x4 overpay.

I really don't like Chiarelli much these days.

Hamonic had the 3rd worst 5v5 numbers among defensemen in the league last year.

I'm not defending the Russell signing in the least. I could go on for a long time about it. But Hamonic is not the player a lot of people think he is. He's.... actually not that good.

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    Calgary is going to suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this coming year, Smith in goal, mediocre offense and poor defense is going to make for a long year

• Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    Good draft for Vamcouver, hope it's beginning of a better future.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Good draft for Vamcouver, hope it's beginning of a better future.

Agreed, I like what they did. If they can get some extra picks for next year over the course of the upcoming season and have another draft like that we'll be set up to start being decent again.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Calgary is going to suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this coming year, Smith in goal, mediocre offense and poor defense is going to make for a long year
    But they have Dougie Hamilton! He's so amazing, guys! *snicker*

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Le_Goat wrote: »

Yes.

Yes he is.

He has been greater than 55% corsi is 4 out of 5 years in the league. He has more than 40pts in each of the last three seasons, while starting more than 50% of his shifts in the defensive zone.

Does indeed seem to be amazing

• Options
    Selanne, Karyia, Andreychuk, Recchi, Danielle Goyette are into the Hall of Fame as Players. Clare Drake inducted in the builder's category.

Great class. Just fantastic. Selanne and Karyia go in together. Andreychuk and Recchi finally get in. Goyette is a great representative for the Women's game.

Clare Drake is not a name many know, but he is one of the great men of the development of the modern game. He coached Canadian University hockey for 40 years, and coached the Oilers for one year in the WHA. He actually coached Canadian champion teams in Hockey and Football in the same year, something that's never been done before. The University of Alberta's arena is named after him.

But one of the real reasons he is in is because he developed many of the coaching techniques still in use today, including practice work and skills development. He's known in hockey circles as either the Dean of Coaching or the Father of Coaching. If you ask an NHL head coach about him, especially one from Canada, they'll almost all tell you that he is a direct influence on their coaching. There was a big push in the coaching community the last several years to get him into the hall. He's received votes the last several years, just not to the threshold. It is fantastic that he's finally getting recognized and put into the hall.

• Options
    Le_Goat wrote: »

Yes.

Yes he is.

He has been greater than 55% corsi is 4 out of 5 years in the league. He has more than 40pts in each of the last three seasons, while starting more than 50% of his shifts in the defensive zone.

Does indeed seem to be amazing
    Hamilton was overrated. Corsi is as well; I thought that had been discussed in here at one point (or more). I admit that I have not watched him the last couple of years, but people were going crazy over him when he was in Boston and I saw nothing special at all. He routinely fucked up, which isn't that big of a deal considering he was new, but people tried to make him seem like the next big defensive messiah, and I didn't see it at all. I don't have a fancy metric to point out where he was screwing up, but you could see it with how he played his position and didn't have the athletic ability to make up for his mishaps. He's not a terrible player, but I never saw that flash of brilliance that people seemed to fawn over when he was in Boston. I do remember he had a horrible +/- the year he went to Calgary, which I know is still an unfair statistic to use in determining how good a player someone is.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    With how long that went on, I thought he was pulling a surprise retirement announcement. It's nice that he gave a good thank you to Pittsburgh, though.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Of people that played more than 200 5v5 minutes last season, 670 total of them, Hamilton is 32nd in 5v5 CF%. 3rd best on his team, and one of only 10 on his team to be above 50%, and 1.5% higher than Giordano. (whom I assume was his partner?)

If you think corsi has any value, even if it is overrated, you can still probably be impressed with a top 5% guy.

And top 9 in defense men scoring last year. And 4th on his team in scoring.

And his team scored 56% of the goals when he was on the ice, but the team as a whole only scored 50.5% of the goals in their game.

To me, it seems, like he is a pretty clear top pairing on his team. He probably eclipsed Giordano this season for #1 on his team, and Giordano would be a #1 on probably half the teams in the league.

Edit: Over a three year period, using defensemen with more than 3000 5v5min (there were a few rookies/2nd year players with 2500min, so I changed it to only include people that played 3 years in the 3 year average) dougie hamiltons 56.6 CF% is 6th out of 138. Over the same period he was 30th in GF%, with a PDO of 99.2, lower than everyone above him.
    Edit2: That was all situations stats, not 5v5. He was 53.1% and 14th, actually.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Man.

Imagine if Boston had a top pairing of Hamilton/Krug

(Krug also dominates most of these stats in this 3 year period)

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Dallas is getting Methot too. Damn Nill did a good job this postseason.

This discussion has been closed.