As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Gritty [NHL] Thread - The Blues Kinda Forgot They Were Dead Last in January...

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Hossa is alergic to a 80% cut in salary?

Sounds as reasonible as allergic to hockey equipment.

the catch is that the cap hit is averaged out over the length of the contract, so while he's only being paid $1mill/year, he's taking up $5.25mill cap space

unless they can somehow put him on Long Term Injured Reserve, and get cap relief from that. see also: Chris Pronger

or as a Leafs fan, I like to call it "sending them to Joffrey Lupul Island"

yea, this'll end up being a "Chris Pronger" thing. If he were to retire the blackhawks would incur a 3.625 million cap charge for the next 4 years for the cap recapture penalty. So I mean, it's not like this is the first time we've ever seen this situation happen.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    The Hossa situation is both. Terribly awful for the player, but a win for the Hawks cap situation. Yay for cap circumvention!

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Not entirely surprising, since they use computers to make the league schedules (and I'm certain they didn't add in any false info regarding past performance, or whatever, to give the Knights any premium games/game time slots).

Re: Hossa, I don't understand it but apparently there are some penalties for his contract because it was "backloaded," so essentially he was paid most of his contract in previous years (in other words, he still got the money he was promised). I wouldn't necessarily say he's taking a pay cut.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Caps fan blog Russian Machine Never Breaks (such a great name!) has a pretty good explanation of the Hossa situation:

https://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2017/06/21/marian-hossas-skin-disorder-is-very-convenient-for-the-chicago-blackhawks/

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Not entirely surprising, since they use computers to make the league schedules (and I'm certain they didn't add in any false info regarding past performance, or whatever, to give the Knights any premium games/game time slots).

Re: Hossa, I don't understand it but apparently there are some penalties for his contract because it was "backloaded," so essentially he was paid most of his contract in previous years (in other words, he still got the money he was promised). I wouldn't necessarily say he's taking a pay cut.

There would be severe cap penalties for Chicago should Hossa retire, essentially because Hossa got paid alot more money per year in reality than his contract said he would on average. These penalties were not introduced until the most recent lockout, which occured well after Hossa had already signed his contract. There are no cap penalties for Chicago should Hossa go on long term injured reserve (LTIR). Had Hossa continued playing, he would be taking a major paycut this year in actual salary.

This whole thing works out quite well for Chicago in the end and quite financially well for Hossa (but definitely has caused some physical issues for Hossa apparently). That's why there is alot of side-eyeing the whole situation going around.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

The last 4 years were designed to bring the average cap hit down, so Hossa has little incentive to play considering he's already been paid most of his money. That he and the Hawks decided at the beginning of his last four seasons to not play is bad optics at best. It just doesn't look great and doesn't sit well with some folks, which I think is justified.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I totally forgot about the half-season lockout in 2012/2013.

This may just be my suspicious nature, but the words "convenient treatment" kind of stuck out to me in the team physician's note. It's honestly none of my business what Hossa is and has been dealing with, but here's another iteration of the word "convenient" in this ever-building story.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

:rotate:

also, it looks like the Leafs are losing Brendan Leipsic to Vegas, which was what I was hoping wouldn't happen. Personally, I would have rather the Leafs protected him and exposed Matt Martin, but whatever. Leipsic was a good prospect, but Toronto isn't exactly hurting for talented young forwards.

• Options
    Let's be extra clear that it sucks that a productive player like Hossa has to stop playing what he loves because his body won't allow him.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

Add oscar Lindberg (NYR) and Engllyand (CGY) to that roster.

Add Griffen Reinhart (EDM) and Colin Miller (BOS)

David Schlemko (SJS)

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    So, clearly, Vegas is tanking.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    As a Wings fan: are we sure Mrazek is good?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    I guess we can't be 'sure' until the NHL awards, but it comes from the mouth of Craig Custance, who is pretty good about these things.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

As an NHL fan: Are we sure most goalies are good? Or are they just good enough until the next guy comes along and is, uh, good-er?

• Options
    I've been recording names I've seen on twitter from good media guys on players being selected.

2 and a half hours before the actual show starts and we have 20 of the 30 names. Will be really interested to see if they get to 30 before it's officially announced. that's almost the most fun game of this :rotate:

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Berube!

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

He's hindered by our bad defense, but yes. Although I liked how Coreau played when he was brought up, so I'm less worried about losing a goalie.

• Options
    Of course Vegas is stocking up on defence, it's the position in demand for most teams. Then tomorrow, all the leaked trades start getting confirmed.

• Options
    I hate myself for watching this. And yet, I can't not watch it.

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Pickard is the one guy I didn't want them to take. Literally the only one. Sigh.

• Options
    Jayricho wrote: »
    Pickard is the one guy I didn't want them to take. Literally the only one. Sigh.

astonishingly bad asset management leaving him available.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I think the Ducks came away from this pretty well, all things considered.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Jayricho wrote: »

astonishingly bad asset management leaving him available.
    Well this is the front office that's on the road to losing/trading 3 top centers in as many years.

Jayricho on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Karlsson didn't win the Norris trophy.

What the fuck.

• Options
    I hate the leafs, I don't like Babcock, and I have no idea how he didn't win the Jack Adams.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    hockey awards are like 95% bullshit

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    https://sports.yahoo.com/vegas-golden-knights-expansion-draft-ransom-trade-tracker-152924045.html

Puck Daddy has a bit of a write up on all the various side deals that went down. Not that the names mean a ton to me but it helps explain why say, the Knights ended up with 2 players, a 2017 1st round and a 2019 2nd rounder from the Islanders.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    That..... that is not a good expansion draft, IMHOFTWGAS.

I think Vegas is screwing up by trying to build through the draft. We all know it's a weak class this year, and chances are anything past the second round will probably be a bust, so I don't get why Vegas would be willing to pass on certain players that would help their team for the next 1-2 seasons. They are in a new, experimental city, and potentially could alienate their fans with one or two BAD years of hockey.

This idea that they floated around about not pissing off teams is crap. They need to be competitive, and if, say Washington, doesnt want you to take Oveckhin, then they should have put him on the protected list. Everyone else should be fair game. Now, after the draft, if Calgary wants to buy one of your players, then so be it, but they should have been picking for the best players possible. /rant

We'll see what Vegas does in the Draft and in Free Agency, but so far, to me, they have stumbled out of the gate, face first into a bear trap.

• Options
    Invectivus wrote: »
    That..... that is not a good expansion draft, IMHOFTWGAS.

I think Vegas is screwing up by trying to build through the draft. We all know it's a weak class this year, and chances are anything past the second round will probably be a bust, so I don't get why Vegas would be willing to pass on certain players that would help their team for the next 1-2 seasons. They are in a new, experimental city, and potentially could alienate their fans with one or two BAD years of hockey.

This idea that they floated around about not pissing off teams is crap. They need to be competitive, and if, say Washington, doesnt want you to take Oveckhin, then they should have put him on the protected list. Everyone else should be fair game. Now, after the draft, if Calgary wants to buy one of your players, then so be it, but they should have been picking for the best players possible. /rant

We'll see what Vegas does in the Draft and in Free Agency, but so far, to me, they have stumbled out of the gate, face first into a bear trap.

I'm going to wait to see what today holds before I pass judgment - last night was basically just the first half of the expansion draft. Today we find out what they're trading all of those defencemen for.

Also, I think you misunderstood McPhee's "every team will have an opportunity to keep their roster intact", if that's what you're referring to with regards to not pissing teams off. The "...but it will cost you." was very strongly implied there, which you can see in the deals with teams like NYI and CBJ to give up picks and players to steer them towards or away from certain unprotected players. On the other hand, teams like Ottawa who were not willing to meet Vegas' asking price lost core parts of their team.

At this point Vegas already has 3(!) first round picks and two second round, and with more defencemen than forwards, and defence in high demand around the league, it's clear they have some dealing left to do.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    The current roster of Vegas players is also currently at the salary cap. There is no way the team stays the same in the coming days.

• Options
    The islanders move is pretty good if Snow can sew it up in. Moving off Grabbo cleared a lot of cap space. Berube is a UFA in 2 weeks and won't play for the Knights. Losing the picks and a young guy are the price to pay for that because other wise Islanders would not have even given the Knights the player who will play. It remains to be seen if there's another part of this deal as well.

• Options
    The Golden Knights currently have 14 defensemen, almost all of them are bonafide NHL players. There will still be many transactions to come.

• Options
    Chiarelli last week said something along the line of "when we trades Eberle, people shouldn't get too excited because they won't be getting back fair value."

So the news that Eberle is going to the islanders today is interesting.

Can Garth Snow fleece Chiarelli? Let's find out what the return is

• Options
    Ryan Strome!

Yup, that sure is a downgrade at the position.

Why make that trade? Why trade Eberle?

• Options
    Ryan Strome!

$3.5 million less per season?

• Options
    Gotta have the money to sign Russell?

• Options
    Let's go boys, one more big fish to land

• Options
    The Golden Knights currently have 14 defensemen, almost all of them are bonafide NHL players. There will still be many transactions to come.

Trevor van riemsdyk was traded to Carolina for second round pick

• Options
    Ryan Strome!

This coming season Draisaitil needs a contract. I'm going to guess his number is 8 million. Next season McDavid needs a new contract, and that number will whatever number he puts on the cheque. Personally I'll be thrilled if his number is 9.7.

That's why Eberle is gone. It's not that Eberle isn't good. He's one of the top 15 RW's in the league. But something has to give. And Chiarelli decided to spend $6 million on the boat anchor that is Lucic's contract.

• Options
    Ryan Strome!

This coming season Draisaitil needs a contract. I'm going to guess his number is 8 million. Next season McDavid needs a new contract, and that number will whatever number he puts on the cheque. Personally I'll be thrilled if his number is 9.7.

That's why Eberle is gone. It's not that Eberle isn't good. He's one of the top 15 RW's in the league. But something has to give. And Chiarelli decided to spend $6 million on the boat anchor that is Lucic's contract.

Yeah, some of that makes sense. But It also seems to me, that the oilers should be in win now mode. Couldn't they have resigned draisaitil and kept eberle for this year, tried to win a cup, and moved eberle at the next deadline to free space for McDavid? Or held Eberle until the trade deadline and moved him to a different contender for a better return and then signed McD.

Entry level contracts for McD and Draisaitil is the best time to try and win a cup. So much value with so little money.

This discussion has been closed.