As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Gritty [NHL] Thread - The Blues Kinda Forgot They Were Dead Last in January...

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

:(

I hope he has a short, successful career somewhere else, and then comes back to retire as a Penguin and is kept on as a goalie coach or something.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Future Golden Knight

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Bonino said last night that he had a broken tibia

And that the pens doctors gave him a shot last night so he could suit up and skate with the cup.

Ian Cole had a broken hand and some ribs, I think I saw, as well

Good lord, tibia? that seems like a really bad idea. I've had a broken fibula, and putting weight on that hurt like hell!

:so_raven:
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Rangers have announced they are finally buying out Dan Girardi.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    The end of the playoffs is the final kick in the nuts that summer is actually here. I hate summer. It's hot, gross, and there isn't any hockey.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    The Vegas Golden Knights' first home game will be a preseason affair hosting the Kings on September 26th at 7pm local. That will be almost as cool as the first regular season home game.

Golden Knights preseason schedule is interesting. 4 straight away games, then 4 straight home games leading into what I would assume/hope would be a nationally televised game for their season/franchise opener at home.

If that game isn't on NBCSN in the US and Sportsnet in Canada I'll be pissed.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    If only the Avs would do the same with Beauchemin.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    The end of the playoffs is the final kick in the nuts that summer is actually here. I hate summer. It's hot, gross, and there isn't any hockey.

If it makes you feel any better, if you include preseason, there's only something like 2-2.5 months in the year, without hockey.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Yeah, Darling's story is basically an inspirational sports movie.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The Grand Rapids Griffins won the Calder Cup so I'm hoping the Red Wings will utilize their farm system better this year.

Shit, I know that's not going to happen.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Isn't that like the second in three years?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    I think the other was 2013.

• Options
    I never even knew the Hockey World Cup existed until last year. Is there going to be another tournament this year, or is it on hold due to the Olympics this Winter?

• Options
    Jayricho wrote: »
    If only the Avs would do the same with Beauchemin.
    IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! CHRISTMAS IN JUNE!!

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I never even knew the Hockey World Cup existed until last year. Is there going to be another tournament this year, or is it on hold due to the Olympics this Winter?

The plan is to hold it every 4 years, like other "world cup" type tournaments. So next one is scheduled for 2020. You know, right before the next lockout will probably start. Exactly what happened in 2004.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I just got brought into a new platform to support, which unfortunately comes with a shit load of acronyms. Today, we were discussing CCM and I had to interrupt to ask if we were talking about hockey equipment, because I was totally lost.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

The plan is to hold it every 4 years, like other "world cup" type tournaments. So next one is scheduled for 2020. You know, right before the next lockout will probably start. Exactly what happened in 2004.

But, every year, there is ALSO an IIHF World Championship for hockey.

It's basically a runners up event for the stanley cup finals. Once you are eliminated from the finals, you have a chance to go there and win that instead.

Sweden won this year with a roster including Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Stralman, Victor Hedman, Gabriel Landeskog, Oliver Ekman-Larson, Nicklas Backstrom, etc...

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

Used to be the Canada Cup, right?

• Options
    Just an idle thought:
    Shorten the season by ~20 games
    Top 6 seeds get in as usual
    Add 2 wild card spots at the bottom of both brackets
    All of the teams that don't make the top seed play a best 2 of 3 (or maybe round robin soccer style) losers tourney for those last spots

• Options
    Just an idle thought:
    All of the teams that don't make the top seed play a best 2 of 3 (or maybe round robin soccer style) losers tourney for those last spots
    What would the other 12 teams that made it do while the mini-tourney is going on?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Just an idle thought:
    What would the other 12 teams that made it do while the mini-tourney is going on?

Get a well-needed rest?

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Just an idle thought:

Get a well-needed rest?
    That reminds me too much of the playoff bye weeks in the NFL, which I absolutely hate. One of the great things about the NHL playoffs is that every single team that makes it into the playoffs has an equal chance as everyone else to win. For example, Nashville being the 16th seed and lost partly because the refs sucked (I stress "partly"). Giving out bye weeks puts everyone else at a disadvantage. The penalty for being a wildcard should be playing what is supposed the best team remaining. The reward for being first or second is to play the worst teams remaining.

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »

Used to be the Canada Cup, right?

Correct. It was held on a regular basis, though not an exact schedule (77, 81, 84, 87, 91). It became the World cup in 1996, but then wasn't held again until 2004 because the NHL started going to the Olympics in 1998. The World Cup 2004 final game was held the day before the lockout that wiped out the 04/05 season began. It wasn't resurrected until 2016, and the only reason it's a thing is because it's an NHL event, not a true "world hockey" event, so it's a way for the NHL and the NHLPA to make more money.

Essentially, this is why the NHL doesn't like the olympics. They can make money with their own World Cup event. They make no money off the Olympics.

• Options
    Yeah the lag time might make it untenable, but I feel like they could have a single bye week and then start the regular playoffs besides it. idk. The point is to have it be a short brutal fight for those last 2 seats. So maybe a round robin would work best. Something like how it works in world cup soccer. But I find the 2 of 3 fierceness more compelling story-wise.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    what if they reduce the season by 82 games, and then make the playoffs 82 games long, and instead of half the league making the playoffs, just have the whole league make the playoffs

think of the viewership

we all know those "oh i only watch during the playoffs" people

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2017/06/15/marc-andre-fleury-vegas-golden-knights-nhl-expansion-draft-penguins-locker-cleanout-matt-murray/stories/201706150191?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1497547500

Marc-Andre.... :(

I am going to miss him. A lot. He was always one of my favourites, and these last two years have proven why. I don't say this about many celebrities in any field, but he genuinely seems like a good person.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    what if they reduce the season by 82 games, and then make the playoffs 82 games long, and instead of half the league making the playoffs, just have the whole league make the playoffs

think of the viewership

we all know those "oh i only watch during the playoffs" people

Well people always bitch about the regular season not mattering and it also being too long, so I was just musing on it.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    For reals though the regular season has far too many games for anyone to give a shit about every single one of them. You get to a point where your team is playing Carolina for the 5th time and you just stop caring.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2017/06/15/marc-andre-fleury-vegas-golden-knights-nhl-expansion-draft-penguins-locker-cleanout-matt-murray/stories/201706150191?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1497547500

I am going to miss him. A lot. He was always one of my favourites, and these last two years have proven why. I don't say this about many celebrities in any field, but he genuinely seems like a good person.

Yeah, it's looking like Vegas is a sure thing. Word is his wife was looking at houses.

• Options

Yeah, it's looking like Vegas is a sure thing. Word is his wife was looking at houses.

Which I don't really get.

I mean, Vegas isn't looking at really competing in the first few years. Why take on 5.75mil goalie that is probably in decline based on age, instead of taking whichever of the defense men that isn't protected (Maatta, Cole, Schultz, Dumoulin)

And, I mean, sure, MAF is probably better than taking Maatta, but Maatta probably still has value since he had that good rookie year, and then won two cups.

Or, Bryan Rust or Scott Wilson, not going to protect both of them, and they both got ~30 points in mostly third or forth line minutes

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    maybe vegas wants MAF to be the tom berenger to their charlie sheen

whoever that would be i dunno

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Which I don't really get.

I mean, Vegas isn't looking at really competing in the first few years. Why take on 5.75mil goalie that is probably in decline based on age, instead of taking whichever of the defense men that isn't protected (Maatta, Cole, Schultz, Dumoulin)

And, I mean, sure, MAF is probably better than taking Maatta, but Maatta probably still has value since he had that good rookie year, and then won two cups.

Or, Bryan Rust or Scott Wilson, not going to protect both of them, and they both got ~30 points in mostly third or forth line minutes

Trade him at the deadline next year for young talent?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Gotta get to the cap floor somehow

• Options
    He has some minor "draw factor," since more people know who he is than the Defensemen or Forwards.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    He has that quirky goalie personality that fans love.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    maybe vegas wants MAF to be the tom berenger to their charlie sheen

whoever that would be i dunno

Malcom Subban?

• Options
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprise if Vegas takes Koko from the bruins

Still has a lot of potential and the Bruins and him aren't on that great of terms

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    That Avs protected list; a waiver wire pick up and a guy who spends most of his time in the AHL. Yikes.

Jayricho on
This discussion has been closed.