Options

[E3] 2017 Thread - All Done Till Next Year

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Henroid wrote: »
    Oh fuck I came when he morphed into the T Rex.

Nintendo won e3 yall.
    Hyperbole does nobody any favors.

Nintendo pulled the infamous Duke Nukem "just a title" blunder using Metroid, and Pokemon-for-Switch didn't even have a title.

Plus, that was, what, seven games or something?

Seriously let's put this in perspective before we grovel at Nintendo.

I am putting it into perspective, have you actually seen the other presentations? It wasn't exactly a high bar to hurdle.

Aside from EA and Sony each had a surprise game or two. What more do you want?

Edit: forgot about Shadow of the Colossus remake.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Hmm, I guess Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is their big November title then? Didn't expect that.

In non-spoiler terms, did Xenoblade Chronicles X have anything that tied it to the first game's narrative?

I put off finishing XCX in light of the Switch rumors, but I might try to finish before the new game is out.

It didn't.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Honestly Nintendo sits in the same position as EA and PC Gamer for this year's E3 showing. Not for the same reasons, obviously.

If I had to pick a best showing, it's kinda tied between Ubisoft and Sony. Bethesda was alright except for the too-much-emphasis on VR for games we've already seen. Microsoft would've otherwise been alright but that $500 price point for the XBOX (and the name of the hardware going up the division's own ass) didn't do them any favors.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Not any mention of Octopath Traveller is a bit of a downer

SE may still show stuff.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    If Metroid Prime 4 is made by Retro...

How the ever-loving CUSS could there not be more to show at this point?!?!

I hope they copy Other M's idea of switching perspectives.

I really don't want to play another Metroid that's entirely first person. I'd be all about third person at least.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular

Nintendo won e3 yall.

Nintendo pulled the infamous Duke Nukem "just a title" blunder using Metroid, and Pokemon-for-Switch didn't even have a title.

I am putting it into perspective, have you actually seen the other presentations? It wasn't exactly a high bar to hurdle.

Devolver Digital won my first SSS score for E3. They showed up and pointed out the emperor has no clothes. Glorious shitposting.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Not any mention of Octopath Traveller is a bit of a downer

That, Fire Emblem Switch, No More Heroes 3 and SMT V are probably late 2018 games, at the earliest. We'll probably see them during some of the upcoming Nintendo Directs.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Honestly Nintendo sits in the same position as EA and PC Gamer for this year's E3 showing. Not for the same reasons, obviously.

If I had to pick a best showing, it's kinda tied between Ubisoft and Sony. Bethesda was alright except for the too-much-emphasis on VR for games we've already seen. Microsoft would've otherwise been alright but that $500 price point for the XBOX (and the name of the hardware going up the division's own ass) didn't do them any favors.

The $500 price point was a foregone conclusion. And it will do fine.

Not great. Just fine.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular

Nintendo won e3 yall.

What in that showreel was an actual surprise? Rocket League? I guess Metroid, but just letting us know you're making it screams of "We needed something else here. . ." Mario Odyssey/Yoshi is probably all the average NINTENDO user wanted to see (that and perhaps Fire Emblem) but these aren't exactly "Whoa! Outta nowhere!" games, which is exactly what people were complaining about from the SONY/MS conferences.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    I also hope they don't fix the "Baby Baby Baby" criticisms by just having Samus not talk.

It's a poor band-aid, and I always appreciate attempts to add more character to Nintendo characters.

Just, you know, get a better writer.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Nintendo won e3 yall.

I did. Nintendo's showings of games were very brief. They emphasized "our core series!" which was nice, but we got a couple minutes of each and nothing was groundbreaking. That's not to say it's not good. Kirby will be neat. But it's... Kirby. It made me happy but not excited.

Meanwhile, Wolfenstein, Far Cry, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, the Spider-Man game? There was a lot of excitement to be had for those individual things at least. The biggest breath-taker Nintendo got was the Metroid logo, and most of that was because people thought some footage was incoming... and then it was just a logo and we all sat back down disappointed.

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm rather sad this E3 didn't have any 'and it's out now' announcements. Would've been perfect for Zelda DLC. Or Pocket Card Jockey 2.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options

Not great. Just fine.
    My read on it across social media was, "If it's $500 it won't be worth existing as a product."

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    So who is making the new Metroid? It's not those dumbasses at Team Incompetent again is it?

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

Not great. Just fine.

That depends on your definition of fine I think. Microsoft is still a ways behind the PS4 and certainly wants to catch up. A 500 dollar console that doesn't have a ton of draw in the form of games doesn't seem like it'll do it for them.

I haven't finished watching Sony or gotten to see Nintendo yet, but Microsoft had a pretty good game showing. It's just all coming to PC. Which is great for me, not super great for the xbox itself. Ubisoft's was boring I though, but I've never been into AssCreed.

Mario being October is surprising, that's earlier than expected.

edit: Oh and Wolfenstein looks great. And that A Way Out game.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    So who is making the new Metroid? It's not those dumbasses at Team Incompetent again is it?

it being a Prime game, i'm assuming it'll be Retro. not sure if they actually mentioned who the dev is though.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    My honest opinion?

Nintendo has a great system here, but they are doing as little with it as possible. As usual. And also as usual, the few things they ARE doing are pretty damn awesome. But it's too little. They aren't diversifying at all, they aren't addressing things a sizable amount of Nintendo fans want (Virtual Console, Wii U ports, Mother 3 despite finally releasing Earthbound Zero).

I highly doubt any of this stuff is going to be revealed during Treehouse, either.

I'm really, really surprised about Mother 3. Why tease us about it for a couple of years running if they had no intentions of releasing it. At least they didn't reference it this year, but now the past two years just feel like actual mockery instead of light-ribbing-leading-to-a-reveal. If you never intended to do anything with it, why mention it? I mean, it may not even matter to a majority of Switch owners/prospective owners, but I just don't get Nintendo at all.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options

Not great. Just fine.
    My read on it across social media was, "If it's $500 it won't be worth existing as a product."

It will sell to the same people who bought the PS4 Pro, people who are interested in 4K but don't want to deal with building a computer to do it. I admit that it is a niche market and that it is not going to magically allow Microsoft to catch up to Sony but it is still going to sell out on the first day and do just well for what it is - a premium model of existing tech.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

it being a Prime game, i'm assuming it'll be Retro. not sure if they actually mentioned who the dev is though.
    They didn't, and they're not obligated to give it back to Retro just because it uses the "Prime" title. I'm giving them the stink-eye until we get more (and GOOD) information about Metroid Prime 4 before I allow myself to get excited.

• Options
    KiTA wrote: »

Nintendo won e3 yall.

Devolver Digital won my first SSS score for E3. They showed up and pointed out the emperor has no clothes. Glorious shitposting.

I missed that brief. Can you elaborate?

• Options
    Seriously, I really hope they come up with something more inventive for MP4 then just "Samus responds to distress call, Space Pirates doing shit with Metroids again."

Maybe finally have a story take place after Fusion? I'm sure Samus doesn't want to be stuck in that goopy suit the rest of her life.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I think the problem is that the Xbox StupidName is only going to appeal to people who use the Xbone as a primary gaming platform. If it's your secondary console and you primarily play on PC/PS4/Switch (e.g. I have a PC and an Xbone but my Xbone is basically just a Destiny box), why would you spend $500 to upgrade?

At this point people who chose between one or the other are already firmly in a camp, and the marketshare isn't going to be 100% of existing Xbone users, so...I dunno. I think it might be kind of a flop.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular

Nintendo won e3 yall.

okay yeah, I forgot about Devolver Digital, that was a pretty great.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options

It wasn't Team Ninja that were incompetent....

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

The title screen said it's being developed by Retro.

edit: Nevermind, I imagined it.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Is it just me or does Odyssey seem Jak and Daxter-esque?

Looks pretty amazing though.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Hey Nintendo.

Hey hey.

This is still a bad way of showing off your games. Especially when you have boring people that breathe into their mics and are mediocre and aimless when playing.

Absalon on
  • Options

They didn't help.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

They didn't, and they're not obligated to give it back to Retro just because it uses the "Prime" title. I'm giving them the stink-eye until we get more (and GOOD) information about Metroid Prime 4 before I allow myself to get excited.

oh i know that. i just think if it was anyone it'd be Metroid [something not-Prime]. it being a Prime title just leaves me thinking its Retro going back to the well.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Nintendo won e3 yall.

I missed that brief. Can you elaborate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqPT9hyPANs

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options

They didn't help.

They made the game, they didn't write the story.

So...yes?

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

They didn't help.

They made the game, they didn't write the story.

So...yes?

The problems with Other M extended well past the story.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

Nintendo won e3 yall.

I did. Nintendo's showings of games were very brief. They emphasized "our core series!" which was nice, but we got a couple minutes of each and nothing was groundbreaking. That's not to say it's not good. Kirby will be neat. But it's... Kirby. It made me happy but not excited.

Meanwhile, Wolfenstein, Far Cry, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, the Spider-Man game? There was a lot of excitement to be had for those individual things at least. The biggest breath-taker Nintendo got was the Metroid logo, and most of that was because people thought some footage was incoming... and then it was just a logo and we all sat back down disappointed.

I'm a Nintendo fan who cares very little for Kirby and Yoshi. Not to be insulting to anyone who likes them, but to me they're baby games. They have that slow pace, cute and nonthreatening presentation, and they put me right the fuck to sleep. I wasn't even sure at first if those were new games or ports of the Wii U games.

I'm just glad it wasn't as much a focus on multiplayer games as I thought it was going to be. The intro certainly set it up for that kind of disappointment. But I saw a pretty good amount of stuff I could play alone at home. So very very alone.

Man, Mario looks fantastic. Sign me right the hell up.

Nintendo can only get away with that Metroid Prime 4 logo bullshit because I'm so happy the series is no longer dead. It's probably not even a 2018 game.... hopefully this doesn't end up being a Breath of the Wild situation. I feel like Nintendo put that in there just to say "We're working on Metroid, now please stop bugging us about it, ok?"

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    2/900 Moons collected

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Not great. Just fine.

Is this the same social media that also likes to say that "This game isn't worth $60"? Value assessments like these are... worthless.

The Xbox One X is a premium Xbox One with 4k functionality and such. That's all. The Xbox One (or S, now) is the primary Xbox One. At what point have they stated any differently?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    While I'm always looking to see what cool stuff gets announced around the E3 time, in the last few years my backlog has skyrocketed. I have tons of games I haven't even opened yet. The wait is so much easier these days for me, most of the time.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    I've never played a Kirby game. It looked graphically interesting but didn't really grab me as something I really want.

The Yoshi game looked so slow to me I started feeling sleepy just watching the trailer for it.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Same thing with Pokémon. They probably noticed that people got fucking infuriated when Sun and Moon Ultra where 3DS only for no goddamn reason.

So they said "Yeah okay we surrender we'll do the thing that makes sense and make a proper Pokémon for Switch" and had nothing to show.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    ED! wrote: »

Nintendo won e3 yall.

What in that showreel was an actual surprise? Rocket League? I guess Metroid, but just letting us know you're making it screams of "We needed something else here. . ." Mario Odyssey/Yoshi is probably all the average NINTENDO user wanted to see (that and perhaps Fire Emblem) but these aren't exactly "Whoa! Outta nowhere!" games, which is exactly what people were complaining about from the SONY/MS conferences.

I think you're underestimating exactly how huge even a simple logo for MP4 is for fans of that series. That is a HL3/Fallout 4/Shenmue 3 level reveal for Nintendo fans. Reggie could have coughed and mumbled "Metroid" and people would still be losing their shit.

edit: maybe more on Fallout 4's level than HL3, but you get the idea.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Really though everyone working on marketing who looked at the name Xbox X and thought "yes surely this is solid messaging" needs a stern talking to. It's just dreadful.