Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PAX West 2017 Cosplay thread

sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
edited June 13 in PAX West
Hey all,

Now that tickets sales have come and gone and most of the ticket hype dust has settled, I thought it would be a good idea to get the cosplay thread up!

Please feel free to use this thread for all things cosplay related. Post what cosplays you plan on bringing, ask for advice on upcoming cosplays, find others who are cosplaying the same game, series or franchise as you, etc.

For first timers: PAX generally isn't as cosplay-heavy as other conventions but there are rules in terms of props and attire that all cosplaying attendees MUST follow:

(These are lifted from the PAX website)

Props:
All prop weapons brought to the show MUST be approved at the Info Booth as soon as you arrive. We will be looking for the following criteria:
  • It cannot fire any sort of projectile. (Nerf guns are only allowed if they have been deactivated and cannot fire.)
  • It cannot be an airsoft weapon. (Yes, even if it’s deactivated.)
  • It cannot be sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. This includes all real swords, daggers and knives. It also includes ceramic blades, needles, syringes and anything that can pierce (for example, a Little Sister syringe made of wood would not be allowed)
Upon approval, your weapon and badge will be tagged and cataloged.

Attire:
Cosplaying attendees may be asked to alter or modify their costume if it is considered overtly sexual.

(More information can be found under the Safety and Security section of the PAX site)

sedirox on

• sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    This year, I'll be bringing Twintelle from ARMS, Tracer from Overwatch and Pamitha from Pyre.
    Tracer is already done, save for some minor fixes. Twintelle and Pamitha will be new projects I'll be working on this summer.

DarkNutKDRiDEAltDeletebotanic-antics
  • DarkNutKDDarkNutKD Registered User regular
    I'll be doing Crono again this year. Have a friend working on The Stranger from Furi and also Plague Knight from Shovel Knight.

sedirox
  • Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    edited June 16
    My fiancee and I will probably bring back our dora the explorer/bioshock cosplay
    rqmqib2domd2.png

And depending on the weather I'll bring my Henchmen 21 cosplay from the Venture Bros episode, "Every Which Way but Zeus".
    1iqnn3t8061k.jpg

Hoboking006 on
    May PAX be upon you.
    sedirox
  • XalaraXalara Registered User regular
    My wife and I are working on a FFXIV Scathach cosplay for PAX. One area of concern is how pointy the prop is. My plan is to replace the areas that could poke someone with foam. Do you guys think it will be sufficient to replace the three areas I've highlighted?
    jkJ3ijR.jpg

The crescent moon doesn't come to a point, so I don't the ends need to be replaced with foam.

DarkNutKD
  • DruidsFlameDruidsFlame Registered User regular
    Xalara wrote: »
    My wife and I are working on a FFXIV Scathach cosplay for PAX. One area of concern is how pointy the prop is. My plan is to replace the areas that could poke someone with foam. Do you guys think it will be sufficient to replace the three areas I've highlighted?
    jkJ3ijR.jpg

The crescent moon doesn't come to a point, so I don't the ends need to be replaced with foam.

Maybe the two points at the lower part of the spear blade.

Prop looks awesome though!

sEf3HzW.png
    PAX PRIME 2017 Status: Badges [X] Room [X] Waiting [ :x ]
    Canderson1989
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    that looks super good! I agree that those highlighted areas are likely sufficient.

BjJ1TxL.png
    5ErTbVb.png
  • zepallicazepallica Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm doing Booker Dewitt again, Knightmare Batman if I can get a decent mask, and if I can get it together in time Chapter 0 gladio in crownsguard uniform.

sediroxAltDeletebotanic-antics
  • ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm looking at cleaning up Wicke from Sakuracon (just need to touch-up her hair and clean her boots mostly), may get some new casual shoes for her for when my feet are dead from the heels assuming I don't learn how to wear heels all day by then.

As far as making a new thing I'll be short on time so the plan so far is just to do a Shy Gal. I'm assuming that won't run afoul of any "overtly sexy" rules, and honestly I may just do regular tights instead of garters 'cuz it means buying less.

botanic-antics
  • All Night XiongAll Night Xiong Registered User new member
    Request to know if there is any one who plans to cosplay at Pax Prime as a team skull member? I intend to cosplay as a team skull grunt and I think it'd be epic if we can get a group together.

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I saw a BUNCH at East, if that helps?

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse
  • angelkatie9angelkatie9 Registered User regular
    I will be cruising the con as 707 from Mystic Messenger. Any other RFA or MC peeps, let me know if you wanna meet up!

gorgeousplanet
  • ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Request to know if there is any one who plans to cosplay at Pax Prime as a team skull member? I intend to cosplay as a team skull grunt and I think it'd be epic if we can get a group together.
    I'm assuming there'll be plenty as I think Team Skull made up 50% of the cosplayers at Sakuracon (which is held at the same venue on Easter), but I'm at the very least two of my friends should be bringing theirs so there's two people for your crew. And with the two Ultra games announced you'll all still be topical!

• Nexis NightmareNexis Nightmare Minneapolis MNRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking of bringing my Xayah (League of Legends), Lilith (Darkstalkers) and Sombra (Overwatch). If anyone wants to organize some meet ups closer to the con when the schedule comes out I'm all for it.

gorgeousplanet
  • Csifreak86Csifreak86 Registered User regular
    I'm cosplaying for my very first time this year I'm freaking out! I'm dressing as Harley Quinn. I've never done it before to self conscious and all that jazz. But after Emerald City ComicCon this year and seeing girls who were my size cosplaying and everyone loving them it boosted my confidence. So I'm beyond excited to go as Harley!

nixtercursesediroxgorgeousplanetbotanic-anticsCroatian Sensation
  • SeaSaltySeaSalty Registered User new member
    I'll be dressing up as Mei from Overwatch. But with my own twist, I'm going to try and dress her as a Portland hipster chick. I feel like it may be a silly idea, but I'm going to try it anyway XD

gorgeousplanetCsifreak86botanic-antics
  • botanic-anticsbotanic-antics Registered User new member
    It'll be my first time at PAX, so I thought I'd keep my cosplays simple. I know I'll be wearing my punk Poison Ivy for the first time ever, and I'm deciding if I want to bring a second one. Maybe Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Pokemon, or something else... any thoughts?
    (only going Saturday and Monday because my family couldn't get other tickets before it was sold out!)

• LejicLejic Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of cosplaying as Gabbie actually, but wondering how crazy I need to make the hair to make it clear. Otherwise I'd just look like I stole Gabe's outfit, if people would recognize it at all...

Any ideas on what I could do with the hair?

• botanic-anticsbotanic-antics Registered User new member
    Lejic wrote: »
    I'm thinking of cosplaying as Gabbie actually, but wondering how crazy I need to make the hair to make it clear. Otherwise I'd just look like I stole Gabe's outfit, if people would recognize it at all...

Are you thinking of using a wig or your own hair? With a wig, you could buy one that is teased and style it to the right amount of crazy. With your own hair, you won't have the headache from wearing a wig all day but then detangling and washing out the hairspray will be just as bad. Hope that helps!

• LejicLejic Registered User regular
    Lejic wrote: »

Are you thinking of using a wig or your own hair? With a wig, you could buy one that is teased and style it to the right amount of crazy. With your own hair, you won't have the headache from wearing a wig all day but then detangling and washing out the hairspray will be just as bad. Hope that helps!

Thank you! My own hair seems easier but not sure if I could make it stand-up enough, so maybe a clip-on just for the front fringe-like-thing. I'll browse the interwebs!

I hadn't thought about the wig-ache, thanks for reminding me.

• PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon Infiltrator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Thinking about throwing together some TAZ cosplay... perhaps Garfield the Deals Warlock, or some version of Magnus.

daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
    Pirate, Stormtrooper, Decepticon
    Yes, my middle name really is MEGATRON
    Former Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head of House
  • The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    I am working on a white mage lolita dress :D

I just bought a serger and omg... it makes me roll around with happiness.

And I have a 1950s housewife Scarlet Witch nearly done. (To match my friend who is will be a 50's Black Widow.)

I'll also be wandering the floor every day with a yellow exclamation mark... Giving out quests and such. Thinking I may make a FFXIV-esque exclamation mark for the WM outfit.

I've not figured out what else I'll be wearing as that is only 2 days of stuff.

6OZRvyS.png
    fDu4SoC.png
    QY2lGdi.png
    botanic-antics