As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Secret World Legends] - TTRPG Kickstarter huge success - Winter is coming

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    As far as Dread goes, I've pondered doing a Secret World-inspired game of it, and I figure I would have the players probably be part of the mundane world who are thrust into the middle of an occult crisis.

Living in Iowa, I figure I would probably set it in Mt Vernon, since that's called out as a place where something happened but was immediately hushed up by Orochi.

It would be really cool to set it in Mt Vernon. I completely forgot about that.

The players are definitely gonna be normal people though I kind of want one of the players to be a conspiracy theorist. Someone who knows about them and subscribes to stuff like Jay-Z is in the Illuminati and lizard people but not actually realize the full scope of what the Secret World is.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Some bullet points from the devstream:
    • More Tokyo sometime next week, exact day not yet determined.
    • The 2nd Chance Vanity Transfer will also start next week.
    • Faction outfits, PvP outfits, other deck outfits from TSW that aren't currently available in SWL: Tilty said they have plans to bring all of them back, eventually.
    • Dock keys will now come in 3 flavors: A, B, or C. Less inventory clutter. New gadgets will be available from the crate bosses.
    • Kurt will be back. They said because AEGIS is removed some of the missions will work differently, but will also have "hints about what AEGIS is now."
    • When pressed further, Tilty says "It is not a progression system. It's a story now, with gameplay elements. You might get a small glimpse in the next update, but much of it will come in future content. If you liked the AEGIS system you will enjoy it. If you hated AEGIS you will still enjoy it."
    • Security Five was visible as well. Not sure if this means the Issue 13 stuff will be available next week or not. Would be kind of weird if it's available before the Orochi Tower, considering the mission turn-ins were written from the perspective of being post-Tower.
    • A separate Mission Item Inventory will be introduced in the next patch. Mission items you have in your inventory before the patch will not automatically move over to it.
    • Tokyo lair will not be available in this update, but they did go into the area to show that they have been putting in work on it. Tilty said it will be the place to get wrist talisman signets.
    • While there were some GM fly-by camera movements to show off some of the area coming with the patch, when asked to see the Maiden Shrine area, Tilty was like "No! How do you even know about that? Give me a name!" People in the stream chat were like "we've know forever that there was cut content from that area," so Tilty calmed down a bit and was like "there's still data" which might be a not-quite-confirmation that we will be seeing some Tokyo mission content that never made it into the TSW issues.
    • TSW Issue shirts will remain TSW exclusive. Earn them in TSW before doing your second import if you want them.
    • The Agent System and Dark Agartha (working title) are apparently both new systems for the game being designed for both interesting character progression options and things for end-game players to participate in.
    • Tilty said he's really excited about all the work they've been putting in on the new content, including recording sessions with actors, but he knows that they have to wait until all the Tokyo updates are done before they can talk about it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    (a friend and I, regarding a certain Kingsmouth mission)

"Why does an Orochi monster magnet look like an office copier? ... and do I want to know what else their office copiers can do?"
    "You do not. If you encounter one in the wild, I recommend holy water and explosives."

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

"Why does an Orochi monster magnet look like an office copier?
    It's easier to get past customs that way when you're shipping it overseas.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Of course, the idea that all of the copiers Orochi use are also actual monster magnets really would explain a lot.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Of course, the idea that all of the copiers Orochi use are also actual monster magnets really would explain a lot.

That's not ink they're filled with.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    If you own companies that make copiers, making monster magnet machines that look just like those copiers sounds like a great way to surreptitiously sic monsters on your enemies.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    So I've played through most of the added stuff from the second Tokyo update so far.

The mission from Jake and the mission from Kurt have both been renamed and tweaked for the lack of AEGIS. Jack's is pretty much the same except the name change, but Kurt's mission is different in all respects except for the cutscene and that it's still "go to place and fight enemies."

Interestingly, the Trail of Shadows mission chain is available now - I say interestingly because when it was released for TSW, the mission turn-ins for some factions were written from a post-Orochi Tower perspective. I don't know if that has changed, but I feel like some of the Illuminati mission turn-ins have been rewritten. Especially since you can do The Shadow without having to go through all of Security Five's missions first. All those sidequests in Security Five's cyborg-hunting mission have been folded into the main mission tiers, so you don't have to keep picking up them as you go.

I haven't opened up any shipping containers yet but people have been reporting new pets and clothing items in addition to brand-new gadgets with some very interesting effects.

• Options
    Is the issue 7 mission part of the main story for Transylvania now?

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    Is the issue 7 mission part of the main story for Transylvania now?

The main story for Transylvania is Mortal Sins, and as far as I know Mortal Sins remains completely unchanged from TSW.

Issue 7 is part of a new Main Story entry that will take place after Mortal Sins. Then there's a new mission that uses the Issue 8 story cutscenes (since scenarios aren't a content stop-gap any more), and after that it'll lead into the Tokyo storyline.

• Options
    I wish I hadn't hit max level before getting to Transylvania. I feel like I'm missing out for not doing these side mission but I just want to get to Tokyo.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I wish I hadn't hit max level before getting to Transylvania. I feel like I'm missing out for not doing these side mission but I just want to get to Tokyo.

I agree that they should have thrown in some "play these missions as well" bits into the main story part. I would recommend stopping and doing a few in each zone just to get a better feel for the NPCs and the area. If nothing else, I could recommend a few missions in Carpathian Fangs that have slight relevance to the main plot.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Are the achievements still there for the issue 7 mission? The speed bunker one took me a while to do in TSW.

• Options
    Are the achievements still there for the issue 7 mission? The speed bunker one took me a while to do in TSW.

Any issue achievements that were carried over will be found in the Regional tab in the achievements window, filed under whatever playzone it's earned in.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I'm such a scrub. I didn't accomplish the first achievement for the snowmobile but I got all the letters no problem.

How is that possible?!

Edit: Can't get to Tokyo. Non stop server disconnects. So lame. Is the Vencian tunnels mission repeatable?

Stragint on

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

I agree that they should have thrown in some "play these missions as well" bits into the main story part. I would recommend stopping and doing a few in each zone just to get a better feel for the NPCs and the area. If nothing else, I could recommend a few missions in Carpathian Fangs that have slight relevance to the main plot.

Be warned it's super easy to get distracted doing the side missions. I've been playing through this with the wife, slowly, just started Egypt.

This game has gripped the wife though and she's been redoing sides missions we've already done so as not to get ahead of me.

She's level 50 and has started levelling her purple items. I'm errr, not anywhere near that.

• Options
    Being back in Tokyo is making me realize how little I paid attention to when I was there in TSW. I'm a little disappointed that I breezed right through it. I also don't remember it being as interesting as Issue 7 though. I really like Issue 7.

• Options
    Tokyo is a really cool zone.

• Options
    What are good secondaries for fist weapons? I'm trying out an Elemental primary with Fist secondary build for fun while I solo through Tokyo.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    What are good secondaries for fist weapons? I'm trying out an Elemental primary with Fist secondary build for fun while I solo through Tokyo.

For healing, or for damage? Shotgun is usually a great secondary, since it has that one support ability to give you 5 energy for your primary. For healing...you'd need to ask kay.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Depends entirely what you're trying to do.

Fist is so good at healing that you pretty much only take one non-fist ability (consumer heal), MAYBE a second if there's a good and relevant utility in your secondary.

I do Fist/Blood because then I don't have to slot any hit into my set and just go full crit chance, Assault Rifle is bad as a secondary due to grenade nonsense, and if requires hit rating to heal, crit rating to improve heals, and to be honest I've not even looked at how useful slotting attack rating is over heal to improve the leech healing.

Fist/Blood is very good, though I'd consider Fist/Pistol purely for the Cleanse effect, or Fist/Shotgun*Chaos for the click mitigation, though they're usually not enough to stop you getting squished if shit goes to hell in a handbasket.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Well I'm already doing Elemental/Fist. I'm chilling in Tokyo so I guess some healing would be nice though I have pretty much no passives for either Elemental or Fist which I realized is problematic when I decided to do the combo.

Edit: I did a quick mock up for a build. I kill stuff as about as fast as I was with Shotgun/Elemental but now I never drop below 80% health.

Stragint on

• Options
    Right, you're talking about just PVE content.

Just take a consumer attack that matches your preference (AOE or ST), and a consumer heal and you'll be fine.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    I keep my health up with shotgun just by using Reconstituting Shells and maybe slotting anima shells in my gun if it's a particularly long fight. But my playstyle tends towards a kind of tanky DPS build for solo anyway.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    I'm really not having fun with Elemental/Fist. I think I'm just gonna stay with Chaos/Shotgun.

Is there a site with recommended tank builds? I haven't really touched any dungeons and my gear is all blue and kind of mixed between health and damage but I'd like to start tanking some dungeons to gear up a bit.

I need to be way more focused in this game.

Stragint on

• Options
    Unfortunately, for dungeon tank builds it is recommend to be all (but one) health talismans until you have gear that's high-enough level to allow for enough survivability to have more damage on.

I have seen some tanks being able to handle dungeons after telling the healer to go DPS but I don't know their specific builds, and it could simply be that they were extremely over-geared for that particular level of Elite.

Having to level up a whole separate set of gear is what has stopped me from making a tank build for dungeons...

• Options
    That is part of what is making me unsure of how I want to progress the game after I complete all the solo content.

In TSW I had a 10.4 set of tank and DPS gear and I remember how frustrated I was when my DPS build was no longer usable because of patches. It also feels like it takes significantly longer to get high level gear in SWL.

• Options
    Elemental/Fist is a bit of a weird mish-mash. The attacks don't really gel, unlike say Elemental/Blade due to Blade's mobility.

Elemental/Pistol (or Pistol/Elemental) is probably the best pure DPS build, fwiw.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Kay mentioned just buying tali's to convert BB->exp through the auction house, but if you just do a bag run or three, you'd be suprised at how quickly you can level up green/blue gear to E1 levels just going like to like. It's absolute murder on your shards though, you'll probably have to a dozen rounds of pvp to try to compensate.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Opened up the 60 something talisman bags I had and upgraded a talisman of each type to blue for health. Three pieces are 20-25 and the rest are 1-5 for blue. I think I'm gonna give tanking a try tomorrow.

• Options
    Honestly, the bigger problem is getting the SP for all the passives. Especially later ones, like kneecapper. Which I didn't have even though I was maining SG for my dps

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I'm good on that front. I have all the passives for Chaos and Shotgun.

Are they going to add a redo for cosmetic stuff for the character? I really want to make some changes.

Edit: The enemies in this game need to not be able to spam stuff infinitely. I got a pack of demons and it apparently has two healer demons in it and everything is dead but the two healers and I cannot kill them.

Stragint on

• Options
    So, the upcoming Cache that will come with the Orochi Tower update is all spooky for Halloween.

Which means the clothing, pet, and mount are all spider-themed?

Interestingly, there will be no epic weapons in this cache.

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    So, the upcoming Cache that will come with the Orochi Tower update is all spooky for Halloween.

Any teaser images yet?

• Options

Any teaser images yet?

They showed a teaser thing during the devstream - I assume they will post it to Twitter once it's actually in-game, like they did with the Future Tech cache. When that happens, I'll be sure to post it here!

• Options
    The Orochi Tower and Tokyo Lair are available now, as well as the Haunted Cache. There hasn't been a trailer for the cache posted yet, but this reddit thread has the splash picture from the cache.

While there aren't purple-quality weapons in the cache, it does have purple neck talismans that can drop.
    • Radiant Vampiric Essence: "Whenever you heal an ally who is below 50% of their maximum health, their damage is increased by 4.5% and their attacks restore their health up to a maximum of 116 health restored for 3 seconds. This effect can only be applied once every 10 seconds."
    • Radiant Spectral Essence: "Whenever you hit an enemy who is below 50% of their maximum health, you have a 33% chance to summon a Spectre who casts Unravel Soul. 10 second cooldown. Unravel soul: An attack that deals (698 - at my ilvl? level?) damage."
    • Radiant Lycanthropic Essence: "Whenever you lose health below 50% of your maximum health, your damage is increased by 7% for 3 seconds and your next attack during this time will restore 1.5% of your maximum health. This effect can only occur once every 10 seconds."

A new enemy type is present in the Tokyo Lair, according to the achievement window, and the bosses are apparently all themed around Japanese mythology. I haven't been there to see myself yet, I still have to play through the rest of the Tokyo story. Apparently the Tower plays differently in some ways from TSW...

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Has anyone figured out exactly when the "photo" of your character that shows up during the QBL broadcast is taken? Is it live as of when you report to your handler and the cutscene plays, or is what you're wearing captured earlier, perhaps when you enter the tower, or complete an earlier stage?

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Has anyone figured out exactly when the "photo" of your character that shows up during the QBL broadcast is taken? Is it live as of when you report to your handler and the cutscene plays, or is what you're wearing captured earlier, perhaps when you enter the tower, or complete an earlier stage?

It's literally whatever you're wearing at that moment.

• Options
    Hm. Makes sense, but mildly inconvenient, if I wish to avoid a nonsensical result.
    (My Templar usually reports to Sonnac in dress uniform, but doesn't wear it out in the open, let alone in view of Orochi security cams.)

• Options
    Hm. Makes sense, but mildly inconvenient, if I wish to avoid a nonsensical result.
    (My Templar usually reports to Sonnac in dress uniform, but doesn't wear it out in the open, let alone in view of Orochi security cams.)

The pictures are coming from inside the house!

steam_sig.png