As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars] The Last Porg (TAG ALL SPOILERS)

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    To be clear, I have not seen Rogue One yet, and don't have an opinion either way on Leia or Tarkin. But many people responded negatively to it, so it seemed an appropriate example of the risks of trying too much pure CGI in a live action movie.

I mean, even in the LotR trilogy, which tried to use CGI-enhanced practical effects as much as possible, we still have bits like Gollum. And I don't know this for certain, but I'd be willing to be the Ringwraiths on Winged Beasts were straight CGI. So this isn't some crotchety-old-man's all-or-nothing stance. I just mean that most of the time, it's better to use a practical-effects base because there is just something about the color or texture of CGI that tends to not quite match the live action, like if you super-imposed someone filmed for 90's television into an early color film from the 1960's.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Tarkin didn't look perfect, he was clearly not (entirely) a real person in front of the camera. For me, I was just excited to get a Peter Cushing performance from beyond the grave.

1is8hqqy0tu8.jpg

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Rogue One took an interesting approach; both Leia and Tarkin are played, on set, by live actors in full costume. The only CG on them is, in Leia's case, her face; and in Tarkin's, his whole head. They used performance capture headsets. There's (obviously) an interesting bit about them in the documentary on the BD bonus disc.

I don't think I've ever seen it done quite that way before; it may have, of course. But it was different to how Gollum was done, or most of Andy Serkis' characters.

But in a sense there was a practical effects base to work with, i.e. the live actors, Guy Henry and Ingvild Deila. Henry did all of Tarkin's dialogue, too, although Leia only says one thing and an archive recording of Carrie Fisher's voice was used.

It was audacious, ambitious and a hell of a thing to attempt to do, and I'll be honest, I give them credit for being ballsy enough to even try. But, as usual with the internet, the complaints rang loudest. A lot of people dug it like I did. When my mum saw the movie, she was amazed; she had to check with me that Peter Cushing had in fact actually died 22 years previously. She honestly couldn't tell. She was raving to her friends (who couldn't give a shit about Star Wars, even) about how well it was done.

By the way, H3Knuckles, you should watch Rogue One; it's awesome. :)

Jazz on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I'm just thinking about whether or not I'd want a CGI version of myself created for something like this were I dead. I guess it'd be kind of cool to have given such a performance in such a role that people felt the need to go through the trouble of recreating my likeness.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I'm just thinking about whether or not I'd want a CGI version of myself created for something like this were I dead. I guess it'd be kind of cool to have given such a performance in such a role that people felt the need to go through the trouble of recreating my likeness.

Cushing's estate gave permission, which is about the best you can hope for in this situation. I'm sure now that it's been done big names will start writing it into their contracts in some way.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Cushing's estate gave permission, which is about the best you can hope for in this situation. I'm sure now that it's been done big names will start writing it into their contracts in some way.

Undoubtedly. I think a lot of it will come down to context. In Rogue One's case I felt it was done with the greatest of respect in both cases. And that is kind of the crux of it. Fisher liked it; I really hope Cushing would have too.

(edited to clarify.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    They didn't do it as a joke or disrespectful. Regardless of how convincing the CGI, etc. was -- that WAS Tarkin.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    It also helps that Peter Cushing was a gaunt looking dude playing an inhuman monster. That kinda helps to limit uncanny valley effect. Worst part about Fisher's CGI bit was that they used it to try and push that whole 'hope' theme. 'Rebellions are built on hope' wasn't working earlier in the movie and it definitely wasn't working after a suicide mission that led to the loss of virtually every ship in the rebel fleet.

It was the New Hope. They needed to include the line.

• Options
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    They didn't do it as a joke or disrespectful. Regardless of how convincing the CGI, etc. was -- that WAS Tarkin.

Absolutely. Guy Henry nailed it.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Tarkin wasn't so bad that I can't just kinda roll with it and move on. It was still fake enough to not cut it at being convincing, but they managed to convey Tarkin's emotions pretty well regardless.

The Leia shot would've been completely fine, I think, if they just hadn't done a massive close-up on the face. From a moderate distance, it would've looked pretty good and it only sticks out so much because the face takes up the entire shot. Even the tiniest of flaws are going to show rather badly for a shot like that. I also saw the film for the first time in IMAX, so that shot of Leia was like three stories tall for me. I wouldn't even suggest to have a close-up that close for an actual person for IMAX, much less a CG render trying to pass off as live-action.

But in both cases, the rest of the effects are generally so incredibly good that I didn't watch the movie and even remotely get the impression that they were using CG just to be all flash and no substance like the PT. They did a pretty good job with CG actors and an amazing job everywhere else, so it's fine for me.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Jazz wrote: »
    When my mum saw the movie, she was amazed; she had to check with me that Peter Cushing had in fact actually died 22 years previously. She honestly couldn't tell. She was raving to her friends (who couldn't give a shit about Star Wars, even) about how well it was done.

You blew your chance to convince her he was a vampire.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    When my mum saw the movie, she was amazed; she had to check with me that Peter Cushing had in fact actually died 22 years previously. She honestly couldn't tell. She was raving to her friends (who couldn't give a shit about Star Wars, even) about how well it was done.

But Cushing was a vampire killer.

cushing-draculastake.jpg

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

cushing-draculastake.jpg

No one expects the vampire killer to be a vampire*. Maeks you think.

* yes, we're ignoring the obvious with Angel and Forever Knight lol

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Vampire killers also tend to encounter a lot of vampires, usually alone or in small groups. The vampire(s) only have to get lucky once to kill or, better yet, turn their hunter.
    This does not necessarily mean, however, that the hunter will stop; some, hating what they've become, simply continue and/or redouble their efforts, intending to kill themselves last.

• Options
    Vampire killers also tend to encounter a lot of vampires, usually alone or in small groups. The vampire(s) only have to get lucky once to kill or, better yet, turn their hunter.
    This does not necessarily mean, however, that the hunter will stop; some, hating what they've become, simply continue and/or redouble their efforts, intending to kill themselves last.

latest?cb=20160102131801

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

You gotta wonder if those vampires get shit for eternity

"Great fucking job, Vampire Bob. Now the fucker wants to kill us and has all of our powers. Just fantastic work there, friend."

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My only problem with Tarkin was how tall he was in Rouge One. Peter Cushing was the same height as the guy playing Krennic so in the movie when Tarkin is like a head taller, it threw me off. They just kept the height of the actor playing Tarkin.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    My only problem with Tarkin was how tall he was in Rouge One. Peter Cushing was the same height as the guy playing Krennic so in the movie when Tarkin is like a head taller, it threw me off. They just kept the height of the actor playing Tarkin.

To be fair, Krennic was never next to Tarkin in ANH (hell, I don't even know if Tarkin was ever filmed standing) so you would only find this a discrepancy if you knew the real heights of the actors.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Rogue One is on Netflix there is no excuse to have not seen it

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

To be fair, thats not the case in all countries.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

To be fair, Krennic was never next to Tarkin in ANH (hell, I don't even know if Tarkin was ever filmed standing) so you would only find this a discrepancy if you knew the real heights of the actors.

Yeah but in my mind I'm thinking of the scene with Leia, Tarkin, and Darth Vader and Krennic was about at the same height as Leia was to Tarkin so it made him seem super short comparatively.

Just made me think the whole time, Geez this Krennic guy must be tiny!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Princess Leia looked stranger than Governor Tarkin. That was bizarre, considering, taking by itself, Tarkin looks almost like a caricature movie monster (after seeing the movie the first time, I ended up looking up a photo of Cushing--yes, he did look a little emaciated and scary in 1977, more than I remembered, but the CG representation took it further--that must be the uncanny valley talking). There's something very off-putting about her in that one scene that is hard to put into words.

The thing is, I would've completely forgiven another actor doing their best Peter Cushing impression. It would've have even registered. I didn't get upset about Senator Mothma or whatever being played by a different woman--granted, Peter Cushing is Peter Cushing, but if anything that would've made it more forgivable. Why not cast Ralph Fiennes--or someone even closer--in up-aging makeup to do their best impression?

That being said, it wasn't as bad as it could've been, even if I think it was unnecessary. Unlike Leia's cameo, Tarkin's scenes are fairly crucial to the film, at least as a setup up to a sort of military sabotage/heist film and not a "Young rebel coming of age" film, which I found very uninteresting (a separate issue). So they did an okay job. You could tell something was wrong, and the more time you spent, the more you could tell something was wrong, but even by the film's end, it was't so bad that it ruined those fairly important scenes. It just seemed...unnecessary. At least I think so. Like splicing in the X-Wing/Y-Wing cockpit footage from the 1970s next to all the new pilot footage because why not I guess?

I think the voice play was stronger.

cushing-draculastake.jpg

You couldn't...and shouldn't...mistake the guy.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Goumindong wrote: »

One of my sisters is a film buff and big fan of Star Wars, so we've been meaning to watch it for the first time together. Just hasn't worked out yet.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Just finished revisiting the Thrawn trilogy for the first time since publication. Still a really good series. Fun to see the Star Wars universe from when so much of the EU was still unestablished, and even the story of Anakin, The Clone Wars etc was still open to interpretation.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Should have just had scorpius play tarkin again

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    So Saberforge is doing a mystery box sale. If anyone ever wanted to buy a good quality LED lightsaber. I got one last fall and couldn't be happier. $125 bucks gets you a at least a light up no-sound saber with a chance at a with sound, full rgb, or crystal chamber saber.

If anyone out there is on the fence about getting an LED saber -- pull the trigger. I paid A LOT more for mine, and still think it was worth every penny.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    So Saberforge is doing a mystery box sale. If anyone ever wanted to buy a good quality LED lightsaber. I got one last fall and couldn't be happier. $125 bucks gets you a at least a light up no-sound saber with a chance at a with sound, full rgb, or crystal chamber saber.

If anyone out there is on the fence about getting an LED saber -- pull the trigger. I paid A LOT more for mine, and still think it was worth every penny.

I just got the Black Series Empire Strike Back Luke Saber and am very happy with it. I know it doesn't reach the build quality of those Saberforge ones but I like it a ton.

• Options
    Don't really know where else to put this:

I found a used copy of Star Wars Monopoly (the "collector's edition" that predates the prequels so it's entirely OT themed) on Amazon for a seemingly reasonable price. Its condition was listed as "acceptable" and stated that it had tape damage on the edges of the box. Sure, I can live with that. Probably.

It showed up today, and upon opening the box it came with an unwanted free gift; stale tobacco smoke smell. I can't even work out if it's cigarettes, cigars or pipe smoke.

It is at least complete, though. I've left it outside where nothing will blow away but to try and see if some fresh air will help it over time. I've got a couple of other things to try but obviously there's only so much one can do that won't damage the paper and card components.

I'm a bit disappointed to say the least but I've got a month to return it if I can't get the smell off. I might just do that anyway and just keep my eyes open for a better condition copy.

I had a new copy once upon a time, so it'd be nice to have it again; it's a lovely set even though of course "olol Monopoly". But this particular copy might not fit the bill; unless I find an incomplete one in better shape that I can use this as spares for. The pewter figures and the plastic pieces are all good, the board's alright, and the money looks okay, but the cards are a bit rough and of course the box is rather damaged. And all that's before you consider the smell...

:(

• Options
    Update: it's definitely improving the more it airs out. Thankfully today is dry with a gentle breeze, and I can lay it out where the money and cards won't blow away.

My mum - who (supposedly) likes Star Wars - was looking at the board, going "I don't know any of these places!" It's all locations from the OT (almost); starting from Dagobah (Swamp and Yoda's Hut), through such places as Tatooine (Lars' Homestead, Mos Eisley and Jabba's Palace) and eventually to Coruscant (Monument Square and the Imperial Palace), which is where the "almost" comes in. She might need a re-watch to refresh her memory!

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Don't really know where else to put this:

I found a used copy of Star Wars Monopoly (the "collector's edition" that predates the prequels so it's entirely OT themed) on Amazon for a seemingly reasonable price. Its condition was listed as "acceptable" and stated that it had tape damage on the edges of the box. Sure, I can live with that. Probably.

It showed up today, and upon opening the box it came with an unwanted free gift; stale tobacco smoke smell. I can't even work out if it's cigarettes, cigars or pipe smoke.

It is at least complete, though. I've left it outside where nothing will blow away but to try and see if some fresh air will help it over time. I've got a couple of other things to try but obviously there's only so much one can do that won't damage the paper and card components.

I'm a bit disappointed to say the least but I've got a month to return it if I can't get the smell off. I might just do that anyway and just keep my eyes open for a better condition copy.

I had a new copy once upon a time, so it'd be nice to have it again; it's a lovely set even though of course "olol Monopoly". But this particular copy might not fit the bill; unless I find an incomplete one in better shape that I can use this as spares for. The pewter figures and the plastic pieces are all good, the board's alright, and the money looks okay, but the cards are a bit rough and of course the box is rather damaged. And all that's before you consider the smell...

:(

Probably you could get rid of it by packing it in a box of rice, or some other absorber.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I was just browsing Facebook marketplace and saw some one a bit down the road is selling a used copy for $5. Plus SW Trivial Pursuit and SW Trivia. Now I'm tempted to pick them up.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    I was just browsing Facebook marketplace and saw some one a bit down the road is selling a used copy for $5. Plus SW Trivial Pursuit and SW Trivia. Now I'm tempted to pick them up.

Ffffffffffff~

Do it.

• Options
    Man, I've still got both SW Monopoly and SW Trivial Pursuit (from before the prequels). They're buried in a box at my parents' house along with a bunch of other stuffed that got packed away, but neither got much use so they should be in good shape. Maybe I should sell them?

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Man, I've still got both SW Monopoly and SW Trivial Pursuit (from before the prequels). They're buried in a box at my parents' house along with a bunch of other stuffed that got packed away, but neither got much use so they should be in good shape. Maybe I should sell them?

Wait until The Last Jedi is in theaters then sell them. I don't think you'll get as much demand with the incoming Han Solo train wreck. Save us, Ron Howard!

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Dawww

HzBv2dr.jpg

Also heres a figure leak that has spoilers for TLJ:
    img

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    D'awww. That's the Star Wars equivalent of Grumpy Cat.

I want one.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Dawww

HzBv2dr.jpg

Also heres a figure leak that has spoilers for TLJ:
    img

OMG
    He stole the Traitor Stick!

• Options
    BEHOLD YOUR NEW OVERLORD(S)

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    If Kylo Ren kills the Porgs/Caretakers I'm going to be VERY FUCKING ANGRY!

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Honestly, I find myself thinking of these little guys...

This discussion has been closed.