Options

Marvel [MCU] Infinity War trailer DOES put a smile on my face

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It's actually kind of weird how small time the Vulture's operation is.
    If he's selling alien weapons to petty criminals for years, you'd think organized crime and terrorists would be buying from him already.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It's actually kind of weird how small time the Vulture's operation is.
    If he's selling alien weapons to petty criminals for years, you'd think organized crime and terrorists would be buying from him already.

Well, he's trying to stay out of the radar of the kind of people who would looking at those kind of people.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    But it wouldn't take long for those kinds of people to take notice and they have plenty of small tiny cronies that can do the buying for them.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    When you're selling weapons that can punch a fucking bus over, out of the back of a van, there's no way you're being discrete for 8 years. The whole premise of the Vulture falls apart if you think about it, he'd have been rich as fuck too and not needed to still be doing any of that after eight years.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Missed opportunity for a Netflix tie in there too. Luke Cage
    featured a special 'Judas bullet' made from Chitauri tech. IIRC they said it was made by Hammer Tech tho.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Is there a single main character in the MCU that doesn't fall apart when you think about it?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    Is there a single main character in the MCU that doesn't fall apart when you think about it?

Stan Lee?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Stan Lee plays God in every MCU movie

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Could Vulture defeat the Kingpin!? Yeah probably. I dunno how powerful he was really meant to be, though?
    Tony was content to leave the FBI to handle him. His confrontations with Spidey kinda relied on causing collateral damage to distract and escape. Then he was ultimately defeated via self inflicted damage from playing too rough.

But MCU Kingpin isn't supernaturally strong, can be knocked the fuck out by a normal person, and he still managed to be terrifying and threatening. MCU really good at writing around power levels. <3

In a straight fight, the Vulture with his tech can murder Kingpin, but in terms of actual power, Kingpin has him outclassed by a mile. He has an army of criminals at his disposal, he could have Vulture shanked in a prison, killed by the police on his payroll, or just taken out by a junkie while walking the street, and have his family murdered. He was ruthless and had the reach to implement said lack of ruth. Vulture meanwhile tried to cut a deal with Spider-Man just because his daughter liked him. I have no doubt Kingpin would only interact with Vulture after having both intel and leverage over him, or having something he wants, but if he wanted to he could destroy Vulture's life and send in a gao-bomb to detonate his workshop.

I picture Vulture threating Kingpin on the roof of his tower. Vulture telling the fat man that there is a new crime syndicate and he will allow Kingpin to operate and supply him if Kingpin pays Tribute monthly. Fisk just stares at the flying costume and tells him that his power armor doesn't impress him and he has people that could peal him out of it in minutes. Vulture does the Don't make me laugh thing and says this alien tech can melt steel walls.

What he never noticed is a man moving in the background who looks like a maintenance tech. He sets down a tool box and just lays out a series of tools like he is knolling them for a job. When Kingpin snaps his fingers the hat comes off revealing the Bullseye tattoo as Screwdrivers and hammers break and jam the thrusters of Vultures armor.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I always liked the scene in ultimate spider man when mysterio confronts the kingpin

mysterio's all hey I'm the new guy in town, and kingpin's like 'oh reaaallly' ... and then mysterio just blasts him out his office window and he falls to his death

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    That definitely sounds like an Ultimates/Ultimate _______ moment alright...

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    For extra Ultimate flavor, it was actually 616 Mysterio controlling robot Ultimate Mysterio.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    For extra Ultimate flavor, it was actually 616 Mysterio controlling robot Ultimate Mysterio.

That was when the Ultimate universe got weirder, and since when was 616 Mysterio that much of a cold blooded psychopath?

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Didn't 616 Mysterio shoot himself while simultaneously dying of cancer after trying to use holograms on Daredevil?

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    then he came back because people always shit on iconic Daredevil stories.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Watching Dr Strange again, still a good movie. What are they protecting in the sanctums? What causes the shield? I never see Kaecillius do a ritual to break a seal or anything.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Watching Dr Strange again, still a good movie. What are they protecting in the sanctums? What causes the shield? I never see Kaecillius do a ritual to break a seal or anything.

I thought they were sort focal points for magical energy, more important for their geographic location than anything actually located inside. Like legs on a tripod.

Like, those major cities grew up around them because of their inherent power, not because anybody put anything there. And when Mads & co drop their weird Dormammu Bomb it disrupts the power of the places.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't think they ever get into it, but it's basically implied that the locations themselves are special for general magical font/leylines/etc reasons, so fucking them up is enough to achieve what he was going for.

• Options
    Yeah, my impression is that they're focal points of a single larger spell. Screwing them up breaks it.

Though they do have vaguely magic circley windows.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I did finally watch Doctor Strange and I enjoyed it. It's not one of my favorites but it was still good. Cumberpatch was great as I knew he would be.

I did enjoy Marvel trying their hardest to science up the magic though. Also, probably the most prominent magical artifact in the comics is a Infinity stone in the MCU. I'm good with that.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Oh my God Spiderman Stinger was fabulous!

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Oh my God Spiderman Stinger was fabulous!

For me it was even better because my showing had a group of like 6 teenage girls that just did not get it. As I was leaving, they were asking each other what the hell he was talking about patience for. Perfect

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    As usual, Marvel = awesome. Iron Man is my favorite and Tony Stark is the best Avenger by a mile.

spool32 on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Oh god did Captain America not actually know about Spider-man's strength?

Is this what he was intending?

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEhmFe1dlEVWtjL8s/giphy.gif

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    They'd been going at it for a few minutes already, I'm guessing Cap had a sense of how strong Spidey is.

But to take it a step further, he did that while holding back. Imagine what he would've done while fighting to kill.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    They'd been going at it for a few minutes already, I'm guessing Cap had a sense of how strong Spidey is.

But to take it a step further, he did that while holding back. Imagine what he would've done while fighting to kill.
    Cap hadn't been thinking clearly for quite a while at that point. Not sure how much holding back he was doing.

• Options
    edited August 2017

Yes, trying to actually kill a person who can stop cars ramming into things with their strength sounds like a great idea. All Spidey needs is a single moderately strong hit (which is well within his capabilities at this stage) and Cap would be done. :)

edit: Don't forget that Spidey was holding back, as well.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    He's also a kid in over his head.

Pound for pound, Peter is probably one of the strongest and most dangerous Avengers. We've been over this a few times, including just a few pages ago.

But he's not a trained killer.

Anyway, it was a response to a silly video edit, not a plea to go over their power levels again (OVER 9000!).

Forar on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    I actually just look forward to a few years down the line when we can finally get a scene with Spidey just completely clowning on some fools.

After Sony pictures folds and Marvel finally has him back.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    I actually just look forward to a few years down the line when we can finally get a scene with Spidey just completely clowning on some fools.

The future we deserve.

Sony just put out two stinkers in a row. If they fuck up the Spiderman universe they're in deep shit.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

I want an on screen version of his Ultra Power from the MvC games. I want to see a movie version of Maximum Spider.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    He's also a kid in over his head.

Pound for pound, Peter is probably one of the strongest and most dangerous Avengers. We've been over this a few times, including just a few pages ago.

But he's not a trained killer.

Anyway, it was a response to a silly video edit, not a plea to go over their power levels again (OVER 9000!).

He doesn't have to be. Before fighting Cap he was able to casually defeat Winter Soldier (someone Cap himself struggles with) and Falcon, simultaneously. As I said upthread all he needs is one decent hit with his strength and Cap will either be severely injured or dead. Unlike Cap who can't afford any mistakes. Cap is very good, but he's not that good. One hit, and it's over.

Maybe so, I find it silly ignore what both of these characters are capable of when we both know exactly what their powers are. It's kind of difficult not to when talking about a fight sequence.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Getting into Spider-Man power level arguments is a moot point because Spider-Man is the biggest punch-puller in existence. He never hits at full strength because he fights normal humans 90% of the time and is terrified of actually killing someone. Even in the most extreme situations he will never just let the guns rip and decapitate Dr Octopus with an uppercut despite being strong and agile enough to instantly kill nearly everyone he fights.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    For the record I enjoy talking about super hero minutia like power levels, but I don't think I've seen any actual debate here. What was the original argument?

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Getting into Spider-Man power level arguments is a moot point because Spider-Man is the biggest punch-puller in existence. He never hits at full strength because he fights normal humans 90% of the time and is terrified of actually killing someone. Even in the most extreme situations he will never just let the guns rip and decapitate Dr Octopus with an uppercut despite being strong and agile enough to instantly kill nearly everyone he fights.

Yeah, it's always a near-normal human, or like... The Hulk or Juggernaut, who he can't do shit to.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyOdcfyo7_M

this movie would've been much shorter if he had just killed him in one hit

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    That video's caption for the sound effects are hilariously distracting.

• Options
    Badablack wrote: »

Yeah, it's always a near-normal human, or like... The Hulk or Juggernaut, who he can't do shit to.

What are you talking about? He can totally make the Hulk angrier.

This discussion has been closed.