As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel [MCU] Infinity War trailer DOES put a smile on my face

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Spider Woman exists because Marvel wanted to protect their trademarks.
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Ghost-Spider is such a dumb name. That's the best you could do? Just use Arachne since Julia Carpenter is dead or Madame or Spider or whatever, hell co-opt a Slinger's name instead.

Characters are licenses now. Can't call Spider-Gwen "Arachne" without muddling the rights to both characters. Ghost Spider is a secondary name they can use for the character without conflating her with another license.

As far as I know Marvel owns all those licenses, that's why it's odd. What's she called in other adaptions?

Sony still owns the rights to Spider-Man and related spider-people in movies. In their contract they have to distinguish different spider people based on their individual brands so that the company can't change too much of the characters without Marvel's consent, and thus create a possible fight for who actually owns the liscence rights on a particular character. She-Hulk and Spider-Woman exist because in the 60s-70s Marvel discovered that if the production companies making shows with Spider-Man and Hulk decided to make female versions of those characters, the production companies would own those rights.
    It's why the Sony contract says Peter Parker has to be white, male and straight, why Miles Morales has to be black-latino, and why Pavitr Prabhakar has to be Indian. If Sony changes the character, they could end up making a legal case that they own the rights to their modified character. So, everything needs to be laid out in terms of who each character is, and placed in well defined little niches. Also important is that the Sony contract is continually updated with lists of people and characters related to the brand. So, they updated it to add Miles Morales, Silk, and Spider-Gwen, for instance.
    So, Gwen needs a name that isn't "Spider-Woman" or "Spider-Gwen" that distinguishes her in the presence of other characters* in this new show/movie by Marvel, but isn't currently inhabited by another character. So she gets a new name.

*This is probably because Jessica Drew will likely be in, but not star in, this project. Which is likely because she's Carol's best friend and Gwen's mentor/confidant.

There are many Spider-woman already, having a more popular one shouldn't change a thing, and she's Spider-woman in the comics.

How specific is the Sony contract? Could they make a Black Peter Parker if they wanted to? Miles Morales is Spider-man in his appearances IIRC.

Specifically, Sony cannot deviate from the specifics of the characters in the comics. So Peter Parker (616 Spider-Man) must be white, straight, and male as he appears in the comics, Miles Morales must be black-latino, straight and male as he appears in the comics, ect. Notably this is what caused some uproar a few years back, because sites reported on how Peter specifically had to be a certain race, sexuality, and gender in the leaked Sony contract and people took it to mean Marvel was doing it to stop them from diversifying the movies.
    This doesn't stop Marvel from changing things, but is intended to stop Sony from changing things.

IIRC Sony only owns the movies rights. Do they have anything to do with the Miles Morales film? Are they involved in Secret Warriors?

From your description the deal breaker is that they should be true to the character underneath the mask, which should be the case with Gwen's Spider-woman regardless of what her super-hero alias is.

The Miles Morales movie is entirely by Sony.

Marvel is doing the "Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors" film. I also pointed out why I think they went with a new name several posts back

It just seems weird and contradictory that what Marvel can and can't do with spider-characters is over the gender lines, I'd have thought Sony would own Spider-Gwen's movie rights lock, stock and barrel. What they call her as a super-hero shouldn't be bale to shield her from Sony at all. If they called Miles the Tarantula and put him in an animated team movie like Secret Warriors would we be seeing something identical to what they're doing here?

If they started calling Miles "The Tarantula" they'd probably have to update the Sony contract to include that name and character description, which is what they did when Miles was introduced.

Wouldn't Gwen fall under the Spider-woman umbrella contract wise? That's always been here super-hero alias, Spider-Gwen was just a fan nickname/title of her comic book.

Would Sony be able to make a Spider-woman movie, like say about Jessica Drew?

Yes, the problem is that if Sony goes too far out of what the character is as they exist in comics, there is a possibility they could argue they made a new character, and thus have the rights to them, and that isn't something Marvel wants.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Spider Woman exists because Marvel wanted to protect their trademarks.
    Ghost-Spider is such a dumb name. That's the best you could do? Just use Arachne since Julia Carpenter is dead or Madame or Spider or whatever, hell co-opt a Slinger's name instead.

Characters are licenses now. Can't call Spider-Gwen "Arachne" without muddling the rights to both characters. Ghost Spider is a secondary name they can use for the character without conflating her with another license.

As far as I know Marvel owns all those licenses, that's why it's odd. What's she called in other adaptions?

Sony still owns the rights to Spider-Man and related spider-people in movies. In their contract they have to distinguish different spider people based on their individual brands so that the company can't change too much of the characters without Marvel's consent, and thus create a possible fight for who actually owns the liscence rights on a particular character. She-Hulk and Spider-Woman exist because in the 60s-70s Marvel discovered that if the production companies making shows with Spider-Man and Hulk decided to make female versions of those characters, the production companies would own those rights.
    It's why the Sony contract says Peter Parker has to be white, male and straight, why Miles Morales has to be black-latino, and why Pavitr Prabhakar has to be Indian. If Sony changes the character, they could end up making a legal case that they own the rights to their modified character. So, everything needs to be laid out in terms of who each character is, and placed in well defined little niches. Also important is that the Sony contract is continually updated with lists of people and characters related to the brand. So, they updated it to add Miles Morales, Silk, and Spider-Gwen, for instance.
    So, Gwen needs a name that isn't "Spider-Woman" or "Spider-Gwen" that distinguishes her in the presence of other characters* in this new show/movie by Marvel, but isn't currently inhabited by another character. So she gets a new name.

*This is probably because Jessica Drew will likely be in, but not star in, this project. Which is likely because she's Carol's best friend and Gwen's mentor/confidant.

There are many Spider-woman already, having a more popular one shouldn't change a thing, and she's Spider-woman in the comics.

How specific is the Sony contract? Could they make a Black Peter Parker if they wanted to? Miles Morales is Spider-man in his appearances IIRC.

Specifically, Sony cannot deviate from the specifics of the characters in the comics. So Peter Parker (616 Spider-Man) must be white, straight, and male as he appears in the comics, Miles Morales must be black-latino, straight and male as he appears in the comics, ect. Notably this is what caused some uproar a few years back, because sites reported on how Peter specifically had to be a certain race, sexuality, and gender in the leaked Sony contract and people took it to mean Marvel was doing it to stop them from diversifying the movies.
    This doesn't stop Marvel from changing things, but is intended to stop Sony from changing things.

IIRC Sony only owns the movies rights. Do they have anything to do with the Miles Morales film? Are they involved in Secret Warriors?

From your description the deal breaker is that they should be true to the character underneath the mask, which should be the case with Gwen's Spider-woman regardless of what her super-hero alias is.

The Miles Morales movie is entirely by Sony.

Marvel is doing the "Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors" film. I also pointed out why I think they went with a new name several posts back

It just seems weird and contradictory that what Marvel can and can't do with spider-characters is over the gender lines, I'd have thought Sony would own Spider-Gwen's movie rights lock, stock and barrel. What they call her as a super-hero shouldn't be bale to shield her from Sony at all. If they called Miles the Tarantula and put him in an animated team movie like Secret Warriors would we be seeing something identical to what they're doing here?

If they started calling Miles "The Tarantula" they'd probably have to update the Sony contract to include that name and character description, which is what they did when Miles was introduced.

Wouldn't Gwen fall under the Spider-woman umbrella contract wise? That's always been here super-hero alias, Spider-Gwen was just a fan nickname/title of her comic book.

Would Sony be able to make a Spider-woman movie, like say about Jessica Drew?

Yes, the problem is that if Sony goes too far out of what the character is as they exist in comics, there is a possibility they could argue they made a new character, and thus have the rights to them, and that isn't something Marvel wants.

What Marvel/Disney wants is to get all of their rights back.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    That with great power line made me smile. :P

Maybe Ben Parker was a teacher at her high school or college.

Either that or Spider-Man swings around the city randomly yelling, "with great power comes great responsibility!"

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Sansa Stark is Azor Ahai confirmed.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2017

A comic book movie EW cover that doesn't look 100% completely terrible?
    Surely, the end times are upon us.

Wait, no, i understand. There's no costume on this one to look terrible. Suddenly it makes sense.

see317 on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    So I just watched The Punisher, and somethings seriously been nagging me about it so I thought I'd ask here
    After the shootout between the Homeland people and Billy's men he goes to console midani. At one point he mentions something about her partner getting stabbed to death. How the hell would he know about that? I highly doubt those details (or any details) of the firefight would be in the news, especially that quickly. It just seems like a plothole that she didn't immediately know what was up after he said that. She does a sort of double-take when he does say it so I thought she was just biding her time to strike but nooooope.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    That is pretty much what she does. She’s suspicious from that point on.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I thought she became suspicious upon discovering that the mercs were from Anvil? She never mentions it, and honestly it shouldn't make her just sort of suspicious, it should all but confirm that he killed her partner. She didn't act that way at all, even in scenes where she was by herself.

edit: When she confronts Billy she's all "there was a fifth guy there who got away" .. instead of "Hey motherfucker how could you possibly know steins was stabbed to death?!?"

I'm not buying it, unless there's something more concrete that I skipped over in my viewing it seems like she completely missed that part but became suspicious anyway.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    I thought she became suspicious upon discovering that the mercs were from Anvil? She never mentions it, and honestly it shouldn't make her just sort of suspicious, it should all but confirm that he killed her partner. She didn't act that way at all, even in scenes where she was by herself.

edit: When she confronts Billy she's all "there was a fifth guy there who got away" .. instead of "Hey motherfucker how could you possibly know steins was stabbed to death?!?"

I'm not buying it, unless there's something more concrete that I skipped over in my viewing it seems like she completely missed that part but became suspicious anyway.

Late in the season talk:
    The fact that he's there to comfort her at all does infer that someone called him and maybe gave him some basic details. Plus he's plugged into that world and knows people, its entirely plausible that he knows what happened before seeing her

• Options
    edited December 2017
    RedTide wrote: »

Late in the season talk:
    The fact that he's there to comfort her at all does infer that someone called him and maybe gave him some basic details. Plus he's plugged into that world and knows people, its entirely plausible that he knows what happened before seeing her
    It had just happened though, soon enough that he was helping wash the blood off her. Doesn't make sense that somene would tell him about it that quickly without knowing his relationship with midani (and no one knew) and it doesn't make sense that he would ask someone that quickly about it without advanced knowledge of the operation, which he wasn't supposed to have. I assume he was over there because she called him

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Punisher talk late season:
    He doesn't mention it when he first picks her up, but later. At least the next day. So while it's a slip up, he did have time to find out details.

• Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Late in the season talk:
    It had just happened though, soon enough that he was helping wash the blood off her. Doesn't make sense that somene would tell him about it that quickly without knowing his relationship with midani (and no one knew) and it doesn't make sense that he would ask someone that quickly about it without advanced knowledge of the operation, which he wasn't supposed to have. I assume he was over there because she called him

Still late season.
    He also didn't show up in tactical gear and she had likely been debriefed/cleared to go home. Blood or not hours have likely passed in between then and the shoot out.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Saw Homecoming. Pretty good. The main characters were solid, Peter, Tony, Vulture guy. The secondary characters were pretty awful though. Peter's high school buddy was annoying as hell, though he redeemed himself a little when he was chair guy towards the end (the cliche thing where the sidekick blurts out something he shouldn't that puts the protagonist on the spot needs to die). Penis Parker dude was pathetic, only reason he was there was to show that Peter was picked on and they did it in the laziest way possible. MJ was Poochie trying waaaaayyyyy too hard to be edgy. She was the end result of someone seeing Deadpool's "Look! I'm a teenage girl! I'd rather be anywhere than here! I'm all about long sullen silences, followed by mean comments, followed by more silences!" and thinking that sounded like a great idea for a character. I'm not sure what was up with Aunt May, for some reason she seemed off from how she was in Civil War.

It had the absolutely worst example of killing an emotional moment with humor, bathroom humor no less, I've seen.
    The Favreau/Paltrow/RDJ banter was tight, per usual. I'm glad the coughed up to get her on set for the day or two of shooting that scene needed. Stark works best when there's someone who throws snark right back at him.
    The suit antics were fun. A Spiderman backed by Stark tech has a lot of possibilities. Lord knows we've done enough films with broke-ass Peter Parker just managing to scrape by, so this will be a nice change.

Best second stinger of any Marvel film. Better than schwarma.

Worth watching, not worth buying, at least for me. The conflict between Stark and Peter required a little too much idiot ball and too many of the secondary characters needed to die (and didn't).
    Seriously, Tony called the FBI about the Vulture's gang but didn't mention that to Peter? And it's not like Tony did this on the basis of a voicemail, he would have done it after they had their first face to face, so WTF?
    I get it, Tony has bad communication skills and doesn't work well with others, but take stuff like that too far and it stops becoming a character flaw and degrades into a simple plot device.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    MJ is da best.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I liked Michelle but I kinda hope she becomes a supervillain.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    It's never, ever gonna happen, but I would love it if there was the tiniest easter egg in Infinity War referencing in particular the Netflix superheroes. In keeping with the Netflix series' "the green guy", they could talk about "the snarky one" and "Visually Impaired, Esq."

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I liked Flash amen MJ a lot.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I liked that nerdy Flash bullied Peter socially. In my past experience as a nerdy teen, and the actor playing Peter Parker actually went undercover for research at my old high school, I've never been in a fight. I've never even seen a fight. But man, words cut deep. Plus, it never made sense for impossibly strong Peter to feel physically threatened by a jock Flash...?

But MJ I agree they tried waaaay too hard to make cool and edgy. I like the actress and I, as with Flash, like the idea of a nerdy MJ but I think it's apt to say it felt like a Poochie situation, just too much... framing? Not sure of the right word to describe how artificial it felt.

And the worst thing is I liked all of her snarky lines, they always had them interplay really well with either Peter or Deadpan Snarker Teacher. In my ideal version they'd just cut down a few of them so it's not so obviously trying to feed her good lines.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    If you think they're trying too hard with MJ, congrats, you got halfway to understanding the character. The character herself is trying too hard, that's her thing. She's trying to be edgy and weird because she's a high schooler, and they regularly show that this is basically her really awkwardly acting out to try and get attention, particularly from Peter.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Her remembering details about him in quiz club is that. Her hanging out with him in detention is that. Her having a million personal edgy outsider lines about getting in some light protesting or not celebrating a monument built by slaves or throwing up a middle finger salute to Peter at the prom, while each individually cute, was a bridge too far.

No one is misunderstanding this character, if anything you're head-canon painting in some false depth. Oh, it's deliberately heavyhanded. Yea and the Kessel Run takes place near some black holes and it's a navigational challenge so you see parsecs make sense as a unit of measure so congratulations you're halfway there to understanding the complex depth of the setting George Lucas was crafting.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    MJ reminded me of some friends from High School with the exception that they were a lot more persistently awkward and annoying in their attempts to get a cool line in.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Her remembering details about him in quiz club is that. Her hanging out with him in detention is that. Her having a million personal edgy outsider lines about getting in some light protesting or not celebrating a monument built by slaves or throwing up a middle finger salute to Peter at the prom, while each individually cute, was a bridge too far.

No one is misunderstanding this character, if anything you're head-canon painting in some false depth. Oh, it's deliberately heavyhanded. Yea and the Kessel Run takes place near some black holes and it's a navigational challenge so you see parsecs make sense as a unit of measure so congratulations you're halfway there to understanding the complex depth of the setting George Lucas was crafting.

The snarky sass is strong with this one, Obiwan.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I was fairly certain that MJ's entire script was just a transcription of things my niece says from day to day. Seemed spot-on to me.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Wait, that is what you were talking about with her "being edgy"? Social consciousness? One of the defining identity traits of the last two generations?

• Options

Wait, that is what you were talking about with her "being edgy"? Social consciousness? One of the defining identity traits of the last two generations?

About an African-American character, no less.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    And flipping Peter off at the prom was just about the funniest thing in the movie.

I lost meh shit.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    lol you care about the environment? Okay there, edgelord

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    MJ more like Most edJy

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Dave Franco from 21 Jump Street and MJ in Homecoming both told me that I'm getting old because I can't even imagine teens caring about the environment much less being considered cool for it

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    MJ more like Most edJy

Texiken you forgot to log out of your sock again.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Uh, I use "moer liek [insert amazingly brilliant stuff here]"

Like Brian Bendis and 85% of the characters he writes, you don’t know anything about me!

• Options
    Uh, I use "moer liek [insert amazingly brilliant stuff here]"

Like Brian Bendis and 85% of the characters he writes, you don’t know anything about me!

OK, who gave USAgent a PA account?

5429061-captain+america+-+sam+wilson+%282015-%29+012-021.jpg

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I'm sure everyone has seen it by now but Disney finally bought Fox, which means the X-Men and FF can come play at the MCU's house if they want:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/its-official-the-x-men-and-fantastic-four-are-coming-b-1821139320

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I hope the X-Men stay off in their own thing.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I really, really hope the X-Men stay off in their own thing.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

I hope they gut and reboot the franchise and tie it in with the main MCU post Infinity Gauntlet shenanigans.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    darkmayo wrote: »

I hope they gut and reboot the franchise and tie it in with the main MCU post Infinity Gauntlet shenanigans.

I think the current slate of X-Men films that are filming will be their last "their own thing" and two or three years from now we'll get an MCU X-Men film.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Apparently Disney might not actually have the Fantastic Four back, as its owned by another company and Fox just had distribution rights.

This discussion has been closed.