Options

Marvel [MCU] Infinity War trailer DOES put a smile on my face

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Why not just call Spider-Gwen Spider-woman? There can be more than just one Spider-woman.

Are they going to call Miles Morales Redback Spider in his upcoming movie?

Besides, the first Spider-woman (Jessica Drew) sucks. She flies, shoots energy blasts and has shitty pheromone powers. Plus her first costume was terribad.

There's already a whole lot of Spider-women, all of them fairly lackluster team-filler types. Spider-Gwen is unusually popular, so they want her to stand out a bit.
    She actually calls herself Spider-woman in the comics though. Besides Ghost Spider just doesn't roll off the tongue. Spider-ghost would have been better if they wanted to reference the actual spider species, but I still feel like she should still be Spider-woman.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    “Ghost Spider” makes me think Pete should have a flaming skull.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Spider Woman exists because Marvel wanted to protect their trademarks.
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Ghost-Spider is such a dumb name. That's the best you could do? Just use Arachne since Julia Carpenter is dead or Madame or Spider or whatever, hell co-opt a Slinger's name instead.

Characters are licenses now. Can't call Spider-Gwen "Arachne" without muddling the rights to both characters. Ghost Spider is a secondary name they can use for the character without conflating her with another license.

As far as I know Marvel owns all those licenses, that's why it's odd. What's she called in other adaptions?

Sony still owns the rights to Spider-Man and related spider-people in movies. In their contract they have to distinguish different spider people based on their individual brands so that the company can't change too much of the characters without Marvel's consent, and thus create a possible fight for who actually owns the liscence rights on a particular character. She-Hulk and Spider-Woman exist because in the 60s-70s Marvel discovered that if the production companies making shows with Spider-Man and Hulk decided to make female versions of those characters, the production companies would own those rights.
    It's why the Sony contract says Peter Parker has to be white, male and straight, why Miles Morales has to be black-latino, and why Pavitr Prabhakar has to be Indian. If Sony changes the character, they could end up making a legal case that they own the rights to their modified character. So, everything needs to be laid out in terms of who each character is, and placed in well defined little niches. Also important is that the Sony contract is continually updated with lists of people and characters related to the brand. So, they updated it to add Miles Morales, Silk, and Spider-Gwen, for instance.
    So, Gwen needs a name that isn't "Spider-Woman" or "Spider-Gwen" that distinguishes her in the presence of other characters* in this new show/movie by Marvel, but isn't currently inhabited by another character. So she gets a new name.

*This is probably because Jessica Drew will likely be in, but not star in, this project. Which is likely because she's Carol's best friend and Gwen's mentor/confidant.

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Why not just call Spider-Gwen Spider-woman? There can be more than just one Spider-woman.

Besides, the first Spider-woman (Jessica Drew) sucks. She flies, shoots energy blasts and has shitty pheromone powers. Plus her first costume was terribad.

Woah woah woah. Jessica Drew is a treasure and her new costume is rad.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    ::sheepishly raises hand::

Hi, my name is Captain Inertia, and I'm sorry- I'm really lost and I'm sorry to ask, but...

Is there an in-universe explanation for why there is such a proliferation of heroes now? Besides the alternate universes...was there some event that is leading to increased supers, or were people just inspired by the first generation to be super fit cosplayers?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    You need to see Spiderman Too: 2 Many Spidermen

Oh brilliant
  • Options

Hi, my name is Captain Inertia, and I'm sorry- I'm really lost and I'm sorry to ask, but...

Is there an in-universe explanation for why there is such a proliferation of heroes now? Besides the alternate universes...was there some event that is leading to increased supers, or were people just inspired by the first generation to be super fit cosplayers?

Over the years, as they expanded out the series, it's been shown that there have actually been lots of superheroes on Earth-616 pretty much all the time. They were just usually very spread out, and based around physical ability, alien intervention, mysticism, or general science of the time.

However, it's also been implied that developments in science radically advanced the creation of a lot of new superheroes and villains. Space travel, genetic engineering, cutting edge science, atomic weapons, advanced engineering, exo-skeletons, super soldier serums, ect. These advanced the creation of lots of characters. Tony Stark and the mere existence of Captain America are responsible for the creation of tons of characters as people tried to either recreate/redefine Tony's suit technology and tried to remake Captain America.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular

Her new costume looks ok, but I stand by the fact that she's terrible. Ultimate universe Jessica Drew was rad though, but she's dead now.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Over the years, as they expanded out the series, it's been shown that there have actually been lots of superheroes on Earth-616 pretty much all the time. They were just usually very spread out, and based around physical ability, alien intervention, mysticism, or general science of the time.

However, it's also been implied that developments in science radically advanced the creation of a lot of new superheroes and villains. Space travel, genetic engineering, cutting edge science, atomic weapons, advanced engineering, exo-skeletons, super soldier serums, ect. These advanced the creation of lots of characters. Tony Stark and the mere existence of Captain America are responsible for the creation of tons of characters as people tried to either recreate/redefine Tony's suit technology and tried to remake Captain America.

Not being a comics person I don't know if it's been put forth there, but in some comics inspired sci-fi the explanation is usually a combination of the above, plus just modern population levels. Supers have always existed as people on particular part of a bell curve, and science may have shifted the region a bit, but the main thing is that whole curve represents 8 billion people as opposed to a few hundred million.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular

Her new costume looks ok, but I stand by the fact that she's terrible. Ultimate universe Jessica Drew was rad though, but she's dead now.

I mean, I won't get into it too much, but her post-Secret Wars run was incredibly poignant to me as a new parent. I will say that as much as I loved her solo book and would still have it on my pulls if it was still ongoing, I do think she's more suited to secondary or supporting roles in other characters' books ala Doc Strange.
    None of these are arguments for the validity of her powers, which are admittedly ho-hum. I just think as a character she's great.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Her book was okay.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Spider-woman is a dumb name; in general the -man/woman construction is a dumb way to name characters. It’s okay in a few specific cases cause if historical inertia (Batman, Superman, spider-man) but ought to be avoided at all costs otherwise

Ghost spider isn’t the greatest but it’s better than spider-woman

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Not being a comics person I don't know if it's been put forth there, but in some comics inspired sci-fi the explanation is usually a combination of the above, plus just modern population levels. Supers have always existed as people on particular part of a bell curve, and science may have shifted the region a bit, but the main thing is that whole curve represents 8 billion people as opposed to a few hundred million.

Well, in Marvel a lot of it also really does have to do with the "tipping scale" technology. Like, in the real world the atomic bomb changed the world significantly and rapidly as soon as it was created. In Marvel, there's a large amount of these wide-scale technologies, and they appear ever more rapidly as they build on one another. Like, the few comics that touch on schools in the Marvel universe have shown them teaching Reed Richards' metaphysics lessons, and Tony Stark's engineering lessons.

There was a point in the Guardians of the Galaxy comics where a council of the most powerful alien races declared Earth to be a no-fly zone because by that point Earth had dangerously altered time and reality so often that the aliens deemed it to be dangerous to assist them the next time they were faced with someone like Galactus, or the Phoenix Force, or the Builders. That it was better to just let Earth be destroyed.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Well, in Marvel a lot of it also really does have to do with the "tipping scale" technology. Like, in the real world the atomic bomb changed the world significantly and rapidly as soon as it was created. In Marvel, there's a large amount of these wide-scale technologies, and they appear ever more rapidly as they build on one another. Like, the few comics that touch on schools in the Marvel universe have shown them teaching Reed Richards' metaphysics lessons, and Tony Stark's engineering lessons.

There was a point in the Guardians of the Galaxy comics where a council of the most powerful alien races declared Earth to be a no-fly zone because by that point Earth had dangerously altered time and reality so often that the aliens deemed it to be dangerous to assist them the next time they were faced with someone like Galactus, or the Phoenix Force, or the Builders. That it was better to just let Earth be destroyed.

Earth was a mistake.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2017

Earth was a mistake.

Tell that to the 87 pantheons of gods that created and/or protect us.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Watching Iron Man 3 and I didn’t notice there’s a one second picture of Miguel Ferrer presenting Iron Patriot to the world. A lovely touch.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    He's in it a fair bit, I think! He's the vice president.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Is he? Man, I don’t remember that at all. I guess I’ll find out soonish.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Why does Spider-Gwen have Gwenpools pink hair thingy?

I want answers!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

I want answers!

Answers about Spider-Gwen?

• Options

I want answers!

After Spider-Gwen became popular, Marvel did alternate covers of Gwen Stacey as other heroes. Gwenpool started as the alternate cover of Deadpool's Secret Wars. When they decided to make her for real, they opted to not make her Gwen Stacey, but "Gwen Pool" who people mistakenly assume is her hero codename.

It's actually Gwenpool who has Gwen Stacey's pink hair thing, not the other way around.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    “Ghost Spider” makes me think Pete should have a flaming skull.

Well then, good news!

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular

I want answers!

After Spider-Gwen became popular, Marvel did alternate covers of Gwen Stacey as other heroes. Gwenpool started as the alternate cover of Deadpool's Secret Wars. When they decided to make her for real, they opted to not make her Gwen Stacey, but "Gwen Pool" who people mistakenly assume is her hero codename.

It's actually Gwenpool who has Gwen Stacey's pink hair thing, not the other way around.

Ah, I see.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Do we know what the angle on Jessica Jones s2 is yet?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Based on the trailer, running down the lab connected to her and Kilgrave. (And Matt maybe?)

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Do we know what the angle on Jessica Jones s2 is yet?

based on the trailer, a low upward angle. ( or do you not mean the camera)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    IGH would be a much better villain for Defenders S2.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    That with great power line made me smile. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Ghost-Spider is such a dumb name. That's the best you could do? Just use Arachne since Julia Carpenter is dead or Madame or Spider or whatever, hell co-opt a Slinger's name instead.

Characters are licenses now. Can't call Spider-Gwen "Arachne" without muddling the rights to both characters. Ghost Spider is a secondary name they can use for the character without conflating her with another license.

As far as I know Marvel owns all those licenses, that's why it's odd. What's she called in other adaptions?

Sony still owns the rights to Spider-Man and related spider-people in movies. In their contract they have to distinguish different spider people based on their individual brands so that the company can't change too much of the characters without Marvel's consent, and thus create a possible fight for who actually owns the liscence rights on a particular character. She-Hulk and Spider-Woman exist because in the 60s-70s Marvel discovered that if the production companies making shows with Spider-Man and Hulk decided to make female versions of those characters, the production companies would own those rights.
    It's why the Sony contract says Peter Parker has to be white, male and straight, why Miles Morales has to be black-latino, and why Pavitr Prabhakar has to be Indian. If Sony changes the character, they could end up making a legal case that they own the rights to their modified character. So, everything needs to be laid out in terms of who each character is, and placed in well defined little niches. Also important is that the Sony contract is continually updated with lists of people and characters related to the brand. So, they updated it to add Miles Morales, Silk, and Spider-Gwen, for instance.
    So, Gwen needs a name that isn't "Spider-Woman" or "Spider-Gwen" that distinguishes her in the presence of other characters* in this new show/movie by Marvel, but isn't currently inhabited by another character. So she gets a new name.

*This is probably because Jessica Drew will likely be in, but not star in, this project. Which is likely because she's Carol's best friend and Gwen's mentor/confidant.

There are many Spider-woman already, having a more popular one shouldn't change a thing, and she's Spider-woman in the comics.

How specific is the Sony contract? Could they make a Black Peter Parker if they wanted to? Miles Morales is Spider-man in his appearances IIRC.

• Options
    Spider-woman is a dumb name; in general the -man/woman construction is a dumb way to name characters. It’s okay in a few specific cases cause if historical inertia (Batman, Superman, spider-man) but ought to be avoided at all costs otherwise

Ghost spider isn’t the greatest but it’s better than spider-woman

There's Spider-girl. The most famous one is May Parker.

250px-Spider-girl-continues.jpg

In the Ultimate universe this development was responsible for mutants and a super soldier arms race, which included OsCorp creating the Goblin formula and Spider-man.
    Kadoken wrote: »
    IGH would be a much better villain for Defenders S2.

The heroes have been fighting sections of the group separately, like in Luke Cage.

• Options

There are many Spider-woman already, having a more popular one shouldn't change a thing, and she's Spider-woman in the comics.

How specific is the Sony contract? Could they make a Black Peter Parker if they wanted to? Miles Morales is Spider-man in his appearances IIRC.

Specifically, Sony cannot deviate from the specifics of the characters in the comics. So Peter Parker (616 Spider-Man) must be white, straight, and male as he appears in the comics, Miles Morales must be black-latino, straight and male as he appears in the comics, ect. Notably this is what caused some uproar a few years back, because sites reported on how Peter specifically had to be a certain race, sexuality, and gender in the leaked Sony contract and people took it to mean Marvel was doing it to stop them from diversifying the movies.
    This doesn't stop Marvel from changing things, but is intended to stop Sony from changing things.

• Options

Specifically, Sony cannot deviate from the specifics of the characters in the comics. So Peter Parker (616 Spider-Man) must be white, straight, and male as he appears in the comics, Miles Morales must be black-latino, straight and male as he appears in the comics, ect. Notably this is what caused some uproar a few years back, because sites reported on how Peter specifically had to be a certain race, sexuality, and gender in the leaked Sony contract and people took it to mean Marvel was doing it to stop them from diversifying the movies.
    This doesn't stop Marvel from changing things, but is intended to stop Sony from changing things.

IIRC Sony only owns the movies rights. Do they have anything to do with the Miles Morales film? Are they involved in Secret Warriors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dti_ysLDUC0

From your description the deal breaker is that they should be true to the character underneath the mask, which should be the case with Gwen's Spider-woman regardless of what her super-hero alias is.

• Options

IIRC Sony only owns the movies rights. Do they have anything to do with the Miles Morales film? Are they involved in Secret Warriors?

From your description the deal breaker is that they should be true to the character underneath the mask, which should be the case with Gwen's Spider-woman regardless of what her super-hero alias is.

The Miles Morales movie is entirely by Sony.

Marvel is doing the "Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors" film. I also pointed out why I think they went with a new name several posts back

*This is probably because Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman) will likely be in, but not star in, this project. Which is likely because she's Carol's best friend and Gwen's mentor/confidant.

Spider-Gwen is an identity that requires some backstory, and Spider-Woman is probably going to be in use by another character.

• Options
    edited December 2017

Marvel is doing the "Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors" film. I also pointed out why I think they went with a new name several posts back

It just seems weird and contradictory that what Marvel can and can't do with spider-characters is over the gender lines, I'd have thought Sony would own Spider-Gwen's movie rights lock, stock and barrel. What they call her as a super-hero shouldn't be bale to shield her from Sony at all. If they called Miles the Tarantula and put him in an animated team movie like Secret Warriors would we be seeing something identical to what they're doing here?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

It just seems weird and contradictory that what Marvel can and can't do with spider-characters is over the gender lines, I'd have thought Sony would own Spider-Gwen's movie rights lock, stock and barrel. What they call her as a super-hero shouldn't be bale to shield her from Sony at all. If they called Miles the Tarantula and put him in an animated team movie like Secret Warriors would we be seeing something identical to what they're doing here?

If they started calling Miles "The Tarantula" they'd probably have to update the Sony contract to include that name and character description, which is what they did when Miles was introduced.

• Options
    edited December 2017

If they started calling Miles "The Tarantula" they'd probably have to update the Sony contract to include that name and character description, which is what they did when Miles was introduced.

Wouldn't Gwen fall under the Spider-woman umbrella contract wise? That's always been here super-hero alias, Spider-Gwen was just a fan nickname/title of her comic book.

Would Sony be able to make a Spider-woman movie, like say about Jessica Drew?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Dear Sony,

There are too many Spider-People nowadays. Please eliminate three. I am not a crackpot.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    Dear Sony,

There are too many Spider-People nowadays. Please eliminate three. I am not a crackpot.

And they haven't touched how many Spider-people there are in the comics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g0SdpF0v0k

This discussion has been closed.