Options

[Fallout] Your Cube Was Nuked By xXx420yolo_69

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Does anyone know which of the more prominent mod authors are part of CC? I know, much to my dismay, that Elianora, purveyor of beautiful housing and clothing mods, is on board. I just don't get how she and the others that are onboard can get behind this after plastering "forever free" banners all over their mod pages during the paid mods thing.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Probably because she's the one getting paid now.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Why are you capitalizing Scripts? Is it a specific feature or tool or something? Bethesda modding has had scripting since forever.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I wish more companies did what Beamdog did: they looked at the huge Baldur's Gate modding community, and then hired a bunch of the modders to join their company.

Edit: Cue BG grognards complaining about how Beamdog "stole" modders' hard work. :mad:

hippofant on
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Does anyone know which of the more prominent mod authors are part of CC? I know, much to my dismay, that Elianora, purveyor of beautiful housing and clothing mods, is on board. I just don't get how she and the others that are onboard can get behind this after plastering "forever free" banners all over their mod pages during the paid mods thing.

The difference is that the mods are made specifically for the CC rather than taking something that was free and charging for it, which the original system would have done.

asXas seems to be the one who made the pipe shotgun. I also heard rumors that Trainwiz was making something for it.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I mean, marketing by definition is consumer propaganda. It's not shocking that a VP of Marketing would be so wrapped up in pedantic definitions as to be out of touch.
    Yep.

Its depressing to see Bethesda themselves step up to defend it though.

Some small part of me still wanted to believe Zenimax (their slimy taskmaster) was forcing them to do this shit.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Bethesda isn't going to publicly shit on this new big thing being tried in their game.

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Aistan wrote: »
    Bethesda isn't going to publicly shit on this new big thing being tried in their game.
    Wouldn't expect them to.

Was just hoping any of them wouldn't be dumb enough to pop their heads out and say "no, its fine though" on social media.

Just hold onto their butts and quietly enforce paid mods. Don't argue with fans on this becuase its a bitter pill to swallow for us and they've once again gone about it in a really stupid way that makes them look like greedy money grubbers looking to squeeze everything out of the modding community they can rather than help it.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »

The difference is that the mods are made specifically for the CC rather than taking something that was free and charging for it, which the original system would have done.

asXas seems to be the one who made the pipe shotgun. I also heard rumors that Trainwiz was making something for it.

Right, exactly. This is what people who tried to defend the Creation Club pointed out over and over.... until it was released and had stuff in it that already existed as free content. I can totally understand why modders would be on-board with getting paid to do what they do, but even the way THAT is being done seems slimy, with modders only getting paid contractors fees and seeing no profit based on how well their mod sells. This gives very little incentive for modders to make good content, only more content.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Right, exactly. This is what people who tried to defend the Creation Club pointed out over and over.... until it was released and had stuff in it that already existed as free content. I can totally understand why modders would be on-board with getting paid to do what they do, but even the way THAT is being done seems slimy, with modders only getting paid contractors fees and seeing no profit based on how well their mod sells. This gives very little incentive for modders to make good content, only more content.

Welcome to the games industry. Here is your EA branded chair to sit at your Ubisoft branded desk.

• Options

Welcome to the games industry. Here is your EA branded chair to sit at your Ubisoft branded desk.
    That desk better be iconic.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular

Actually it gives the modders very little incentive to stop putting their mods out for free even after giving Bethseda a paid version. They've already been paid for the contracted mod, what do they care of no one downloads it in favor of the free version on Nexus?

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    And at least the free version on the nexus will have a "donate to the mod author if you want to" link with the download.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Why are you capitalizing Scripts? Is it a specific feature or tool or something? Bethesda modding has had scripting since forever.

Oh, basically there are two ways of having a mod run.

Scripting works and has been around forever, but the more mods you have running scripts the longer and longer load times become and the whole thing begins to make your game run like dooky.

The other way is a bit more work intensive, but has the added bonus of not effecting performance in the same way a mod running a script does.

edit again- Should be noted that some mods can't work without scripts (the fancy, complex ones usually). However the stuff Bethesda has up in the Creation Club so far can totally be done without scripts, if they put in the effort.

edit- As to the pay Creators get. So far it is just hearsay, but from those "in the know" it is a standard contract that pays anywhere from $100 to just under $1000 depending on what the project is. After the modder gets paid they will make no royalties from the sale of the item on the Creation Club.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    New Vegas had fun perks like Shotgun Surgeon and Terrifying Presence. Even 3 had the one where you exploded when your health got low.

More like those, less X increase to damage.

• Options
    This thread on Reddit sheds some light on the justification for "forever free" and then working on CC. The gist is that since they're contractors, it's Bethesda's content, not theirs, which is DLC, not mods. Because of course they're not mods. It looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a raptor.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I was actually making a joke based on not liking her at all due to how miserable she is to work with on mod issues. But yeah an actual hypocrite as well, nice.

She's also lying when she says all her assets are free to use by other modders.

Aistan on
  • Options
    I was actually making a joke based on not liking her at all due to how miserable she is to work with on mod issues. But yeah an actual hypocrite as well, nice.

She's also lying when she says all her assets are free to use by other modders.

Yeah, I didn't mean to focus on her, just that she's the only modder I know that has made any public statements about being involved in CC. It's as close to straight from the horse's mouth as I have found. But yeah, color me disappointed, I'm a bit of a fan of her work.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    I mean, marketing by definition is consumer propaganda. It's not shocking that a VP of Marketing would be so wrapped up in pedantic definitions as to be out of touch.

Y'know I know that that is true, but it always catches me by surprise when I see a marketing person being such an asshole to their company's consumers.

On a different note.

People much more familiar with modding Bethesda games than I are suspecting that Creation Club mods might be running Scripts. There is, AFAIK, currently no hard evidence for this. However, the speculation arises from the fact that Scripts would be the easiest, must surefire way to ensure that all these Creation Club mods will play nice with each other. Since Bethesda is a business any means to cut costs and time would probably be welcomed.

Eh, a simple script that runs once and adds a weapon to the leveled lists or some items to some formlists isn't going to kill any one, it's how many mods do it, and it's not like they are going to just tell everyone to download wryebash.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Hilariously, "No More Creation Club News" is in the running for file of the month.
    Edit: Also amusing: X-03 Hellfire Armor and Chinese Stealth Armor are top files of their respective months of release.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »

Y'know I know that that is true, but it always catches me by surprise when I see a marketing person being such an asshole to their company's consumers.

On a different note.

People much more familiar with modding Bethesda games than I are suspecting that Creation Club mods might be running Scripts. There is, AFAIK, currently no hard evidence for this. However, the speculation arises from the fact that Scripts would be the easiest, must surefire way to ensure that all these Creation Club mods will play nice with each other. Since Bethesda is a business any means to cut costs and time would probably be welcomed.

Eh, a simple script that runs once and adds a weapon to the leveled lists or some items to some formlists isn't going to kill any one, it's how many mods do it, and it's not like they are going to just tell everyone to download wryebash.

The crux of the issue is that Bethesda is Bethesda and can ensure (if they so choose) that these Creation Club mods are treated like DLC by the game and not like a mod to guarantee compatibility among all the other Creation Club mods. The speculation is that they won't since it is easier and faster to just use scripts to ensure that all these Creation Club mods do not conflict with each other.

With a lot of mods installed all using scripts your game is going to run poorly. Just the nature of the beast.

However this is only an issue if the speculation is true. It could very well be that they don't. And even if they did it'd only be a real issue to the poor soul that buys a lot of Creation Club mods.

On another note. If downloading all the Creation Club as a patch is working as intended (and there is legit reason for Bethesda to do it this way) then I suspect Script Extender to go the way of the Dodo. As awesome as those people are, if the Creation Club starts getting additions constantly the SE team won't be able to keep up.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Constantly breaking SE is a great way to get me to not buy future games, barring Steam bringing back "never update this game" as an option.

If they can do it in a way so it adds more assets but doesn't fuck over everything else then it would be a pretty big annoyance, but a playable one.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    New Vegas had fun perks like Shotgun Surgeon and Terrifying Presence. Even 3 had the one where you exploded when your health got low.

More like those, less X increase to damage.

I'm absolutely not going to disagree that wackier shit can be more fun.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Strikor wrote: »
    Constantly breaking SE is a great way to get me to not buy future games, barring Steam bringing back "never update this game" as an option.

If they can do it in a way so it adds more assets but doesn't fuck over everything else then it would be a pretty big annoyance, but a playable one.

If you're running F4SE just set the game to not update until it runs. It looks for it to run from the launcher but you're running off the SE executable so it shouldn't update, as I understand it. That's how I've got it set up now, so here's hoping.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    Strikor wrote: »

If you're running F4SE just set the game to not update until it runs. It looks for it to run from the launcher but you're running off the SE executable so it shouldn't update, as I understand it. That's how I've got it set up now, so here's hoping.

This is correct, and how I have my game set. I only run FO4 through the F4SE launcher, and it will never update unless I tell it to. I had to set it this way some time ago when Bethesda was legitimately patching the game, but sending out tiny piecemeal updates rather than fixing a bunch of stuff at once and sending it out. The F4SE team couldn't keep up, so I'd hold off from updating Fallout until they released a new version.

Still, this seems like a work-around rather than a real solution, because unless the F4SE team is going to release versions of their app for those who never downloaded Bethesda's CC crap, I'm eventually going to have my hand forced if I want new stuff.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Keep in mind, Bethesda cares about* all their console players far, far more than they do about the minority of PC players who use SE.

* for values of care = make money off of.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Probably because she's the one getting paid now.

The long and short of it, basically. I've seen some Reddit posts by her on the situation, and she's still got nothing but glowing praise for the whole Creation Club system, especially the fact that she's now being paid to make mods, and promises bigger and better things out of it.

My guess is that she's currently being paid periodically to develop something (likely a house mod), and is really excited to be getting paid to do what was originally a hobby.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Paying talented people to develop new content for your game is a pretty good idea but dear god did they do an awful, awful job at both content and distribution.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I don't mind that she's getting paid for her work. I mind that she was almost a fanatic ranting about people who were using the paid mods system and now is doing the opposite when she is the one getting money. If she was just part of the program and putting out content that'd be fine, but she's actively ranting that people misunderstand the new system and it's not paid mods anymore. It's contract work.

Make content -> get paid for it
    Enter contract and get paid -> make content

It's a distinction without a difference. They are getting fan creators to make things and then selling them through a storefront.

Even then all of that is completely fine conceptually, but the main problem is how shitty a job they did. If it all worked perfectly and I could ignore it entirely then great, fantastic. I wish the creators were getting a better deal but if they like it then whatever. But the way they managed the files made it my problem and now i'm gonna complain.

But then i've been clear I don't like her to begin with so maybe that's just all i'm seeing. I dunno. I just wish they were less crap at this stuff.

Aistan on
  • Options
    From what I understand, all of the modders in the club are pretty happy with the arrangement and are actually learning quite a lot from direct access to the development team. That's the silver lining, assuming those creators ever deign to make free content again. Or, for all I know, the contracts could just be for as few as one item in the CC, so they could be set loose again after they've made their content. But Eli's posts seem to suggest this is now her job, not A job, if you get my meaning.
    As much as I am ashamed to say, I am tempted by the rumored upcoming Doomguy armor and Auto Axe. But I'll try and stay strong.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Bethesda: "They're mini-DLC guys, come on!"
    Fans: "Sooo if they are mini-DLC then they come with the Season Pass right?"
    Bethesda: "HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA! -deep breath- Oh my God, no no no."

Oh, a good video explaining the nitty-gritty of these Creation Club mods and why they're not going to get any better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xts8UzBk0wM

Long and short, Creation Club mods use a new .esp (called .esl). This new format has a pretty sever limitation on how big the mod can be. The max is 4000 "records". Terminology aside, the Horse Power Armor uses 300 and the Automotron DLC uses 50k.

Axen on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Decomposey wrote: »

Actually it gives the modders very little incentive to stop putting their mods out for free even after giving Bethseda a paid version. They've already been paid for the contracted mod, what do they care of no one downloads it in favor of the free version on Nexus?

There is absolutely no way there aren't clauses in the contract forbidding such a thing, and the threat, however valid, of crushing legal action is incredible incentive for the authors to not subsequently release the mod for free, or anything closely resembling the mod for free, if it was on Creation Club first.

Or not first. The specific argument being made by Bethesda about how they can't "copy" something they created (in reference to Hellfire and Stealth Suit) gives me concern that those mods could very well be seeing C&D's in the near future.

I have no doubt that the CC is just as much about ownership and control, as it is profits. Literally no good is going to result from this, for anyone involved, including Bethesda. Bridges burned and all that.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I don't mind that she's getting paid for her work. I mind that she was almost a fanatic ranting about people who were using the paid mods system and now is doing the opposite when she is the one getting money. If she was just part of the program and putting out content that'd be fine, but she's actively ranting that people misunderstand the new system and it's not paid mods anymore. It's contract work.

It's a distinction without a difference. They are getting fan creators to make things and then selling them through a storefront.

Even then all of that is completely fine conceptually, but the main problem is how shitty a job they did. If it all worked perfectly and I could ignore it entirely then great, fantastic. I wish the creators were getting a better deal but if they like it then whatever. But the way they managed the files made it my problem and now i'm gonna complain.

But then i've been clear I don't like her to begin with so maybe that's just all i'm seeing. I dunno. I just wish they were less crap at this stuff.

The hypocrisy is real here... I don't think it takes a whole lot to see that Elianora is exhibiting the very definition of that behavior.

But like you said, I wouldn't even care if the "Forever Free" modders had decided to get on-board with Creation Club to make shitty "not mods" that I have no interest in. They made it my problem when Bethesda set the damn thing up to auto-download every "not mod" to my SSD whether or not I choose to buy it, further complicating the matter by every update to the store being treated as an update to the game, which fucks up F4SE.

Fuck Bethesda. I was never angry about the "Paid mods" thing before, only worried about what it might do to the free mod scene. Now I'm actively angry because their shit that I don't want is being shoved onto my PC.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Yeah 4000 is pretty low. I don't see why they don't just package some of this stuff and sell it for a reasonable price of say 5 or 10 dollars rather than doing it how they are.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Keep in mind modders are able to mod Bethesda games because Bethesda allows it and provides the tools for it. They can stop doing that whenever they want. As 'ol Petey Hines threatened in one of his recent tirades.

Tinfoil Hat part of me says, "Do you honestly believe they'll release the GECK for FO5?"

Also, reminder Creation Club goes live for Skyrim this month.

Axen on
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular

The hypocrisy is real here... I don't think it takes a whole lot to see that Elianora is exhibiting the very definition of that behavior.

But like you said, I wouldn't even care if the "Forever Free" modders had decided to get on-board with Creation Club to make shitty "not mods" that I have no interest in. They made it my problem when Bethesda set the damn thing up to auto-download every "not mod" to my SSD whether or not I choose to buy it, further complicating the matter by every update to the store being treated as an update to the game, which fucks up F4SE.

Fuck Bethesda. I was never angry about the "Paid mods" thing before, only worried about what it might do to the free mod scene. Now I'm actively angry because their shit that I don't want is being shoved onto my PC.

They have said that the auto-download is unintentional and will be fixing it. The current guess is that they were using it as a method to bypass the content limit on the consoles.

• Options
    Yeah 4000 is pretty low. I don't see why they don't just package some of this stuff and sell it for a reasonable price of say 5 or 10 dollars rather than doing it how they are.

Because microtransactions.
    I believe I saw someone say they're working on an alternative solution about the download on pc. I can't believe they ever thought that was a good idea, for a service they're ostensibly going to be continually adding content to. Did they think no one would notice when a vanilla, no mods install stretched to over 100gb? Hell yeah you'd better be working on an alternative solution.

• Options
    Yeah that new file type seems to be their way to circumvent the console limit now.

So that is, uh, nice?

• Options
    They're making the esl format available to PC users via the GECK, isn't that a good thing? Correct me if I'm wrong but as someone who struggles with "whoops I have way too many mods" every time I set something up for a fresh playthrough, bypassing the 255 esm/esp limit is a good thing.

• Options
    They're making the esl format available to PC users via the GECK, isn't that a good thing? Correct me if I'm wrong but as someone who struggles with "whoops I have way too many mods" every time I set something up for a fresh playthrough, bypassing the 255 esm/esp limit is a good thing.

The .esl are for Creation Club mods. Free mods are still .esp and thus restricted by the console's limit.

This discussion has been closed.