As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Your Cube Was Nuked By xXx420yolo_69

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    So Bethesda commented on the Creation Club mods downloading to your HDD. In short they said going forward Creation Club mods will not auto-download on the PC for either Skyrim: SE or Fallout 4. Console players on the other hand are SOL for the time being.

Larger mods they say might be possible and could possibly use .esm. They made the .esl to sidestep the problem with .esp being counted as "mods" regardless of the source of their creation.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Strikor wrote: »
    Making sure there are no compatibility or save issues is a funny one considering their unmodded games have problems there.

Is it just a better way to do paid mods? Sure, but it's still paid mods. You have modders making mods and then getting paid. It's less messy but similar enough in premise.

It may be better than before but it's still not for me. Even if they end up making some meaningful content, I swore after Mass Effect 2 to never use funbucks again. It's just a shady as fuck business practice that tries to milk even more money out of you. $7 item? Oh sorry we only sell $5 or $10 packs of funbucks!

Funbucks are designed for one singular purpose.

its to put an obfuscation layer between you and your money.

Someone who would never pay 3 dollars for horse armor, might spend 300 funbucks for it, especially if they've had those funbucks sitting in their wallet for a month.

Its much easier to justify spending funbucks, mentally, than it it is realbucks. Its blatant psychological exploitation.

Some of the really shady companies include premium currency, that you buy with funbucks, that you buy with money, to even further enhance the disassociation of fakemoney/premiummoney from spending realmoney.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Plus the added bullshit of the items never matching up with the bundles of funbucks available for purchase.

Say you only need 50 cents' worth more funbucks to buy something, but fuck you the cheapest bundle of funbucks is worth 5 dollars.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    So I'm getting into survival mode for the first time, and was wondering if there is any reason to have variety in my character's diet. Is there any downside to subsisting off of one easily farmed plant? Or can I go ahead and make all of my settlements into seas of Tatos? Is there an ideal food for this purpose? Something really lightweight, or with some secondary benefits? I am not RP'ing someone with a picky palate.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Food is food, essentially, though I vaguely recall getting sick from eating uncooked crops once. Cooked meat is probably best for food since it fills a LOT of hunger but if you can cook up a veggie dish of some sort that would be a good choice, too.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Slortex wrote: »
    So I'm getting into survival mode for the first time, and was wondering if there is any reason to have variety in my character's diet. Is there any downside to subsisting off of one easily farmed plant? Or can I go ahead and make all of my settlements into seas of Tatos? Is there an ideal food for this purpose? Something really lightweight, or with some secondary benefits? I am not RP'ing someone with a picky palate.

Noodle soup is notable for being lightweight and reducing hydration on top of making a dent in hunger.

Generally speaking, anything you cook up from vegetables you can farm won't be as satisfying as something protein based.
    To that end, mirelurk omelettes have one of the best fullness to weight ratios so loot mirelurk eggs when you have the chance (and can survive mirelurks).

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    The only difference would be the amount of hunger restored. The move valuable the item the more it reduces your hunger. The ideal food is probably noodle cups or other items that reduce both hunger and thirst.

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Vegetable soup is also worth looking into - just plant carrots and tatos.

However, something you should also know is that when your settlers save leftover food, they will save a random raw food item per point of leftover food. So if you're planning on going away and coming back to a bunch of extra tatos in the workshop, don't be.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Been looking for MCM compatible mods and I like this one, Auto Eat & Drink in Survival,
    https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25408/?
    Really nice to just keep exploring without having to open your pipboy every time to take a nibble. Wish you can configure the catagories/order though.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I got a chance to dive into the game a bit more this past weekend. After realizing how the perk system works, I feel like I messed up my stat points like really bad. Really regretting not having more points in charisma and int, because they have some really awesome perks, like the ones to upgrade weapon mods, and building shops in your settlements. While I dont need melee weapon perks or the ability to drink gross water.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I got a chance to dive into the game a bit more this past weekend. After realizing how the perk system works, I feel like I messed up my stat points like really bad. Really regretting not having more points in charisma and int, because they have some really awesome perks, like the ones to upgrade weapon mods, and building shops in your settlements. While I dont need melee weapon perks or the ability to drink gross water.

Well, you do need carry weight, and hit points don't hurt either. Aqua%gender% and Chem Resistant are also pretty plum.

And of course, you can just level the stats you need to get those other perks, though that might take a bit.

Glazius on
  • Options
    Yeah i realize i can, but dang thats so many levels of perks to commit to it without getting any of the other useful stuff.

Also my wife had today off and when i left for work she was playing, and when i got back she was still playing. She has so much more cool stuff than me lol

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Intelligence for me is the stat I just cannot do without. So many good perks are in that tree, I just can't not have at least some points in it.

Charisma is also one of those stats I have trouble treating as a dump stat. Part of that is because I hate having a companion with me, so Lone Wanderer is always a useful perk for me, but in general I hate not being able to persuade people out of their caps.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    OK, this is going to be a long one, so let me preface it by saying I got into the series with Fallout 3, which I enjoyed greatly, New Vegas moreso. Years ago I got the first two games on GOG but never really got around to them; I played some of the original Fallout but dropped it for reasons I forget, and tried it again recently thinking it would be different this time.

First off, the game welcomes you with a time limit. I hate time limits in games like RPGs where you're expected to take your time and explore, do quests and gain levels to make you better prepared for the challenges ahead. I don't feel a sense of urgency from them, I see a countdown to failure and having to restart. So I ping-ponged my way from place to place, going to Vault 15 first, only to find you need a rope to proceed, to looking around for a rope which I brought from the Hub, which took a good chunk of time, only to go back to the Vault and find there were no clues where to get the water chip (though I did get some nice gear upgrades). I remembered Necropolis being important from my first attempt, so I head there - the first time I didn't realize you could go into the sewers until I read a guide.

I get the mission to fix the water pump, fighting my way to the junk needed, only to be met with a Speech check against Harry the Super Mutant. Shouldn't be too hard, right? Well my Speech was only in the low 30s, so it took some reloading to pass the check. I would've loved to do some quests that I could actually survive, and level up some but time limit. Then I find the pump. I figured that all I needed was to use my Repair skill which I bolstered with the three Gary's Electronics books I recieved. Every attempted failed, some saying that I couldn't find a fuse. Frustrated, I checked the Fallout wiki, which said to use Repair, and also that there was a tool I could buy to increase the skill, so I spend some time going back to the Hub to buy it. It didn't say what I was supposed to do to get the bonus. Was I supposed to use it? Equip it? Nothing seemed to work, so I just resorted to smashing the junk against the pump, which eventually worked. I go back to the Ghoul leader thinking I'd get the water chip as a reward, but nope! Nothing. I instead learned from the wiki that Vault 12 was under the area, and I go there, fighting some Glowing Ones (thank goodness I spec'd in Melee) and find the chip.

Making a beeline straight to Vault 13 I turn in the chip and get the mission to find and stop the source of the mutants. . . which, if I'm lead to believe, is on another, invisible time limit? Well, I go back to every town I can find, taking on whatever quests I could get since I got some breathing room, but no info about the main mission. I tried the Brotherhood, the only thing I could do there asking if I could join, and getting the mission to find something from the "ruins" to the south. . . which I learned from the wiki was The Glow, which heavily irradiated me the first time I went there. And I didn't come across any Rad-X or RadAway to explore there.

Then I just started feeling like bumming around the Capital Wasteland and started a new character in Fallout 3.

I guess I just like the relaxed pace and punchier action in the Bethesda games, just roaming around in a big, detailed world with lots of stuff to discover (and I never really got into the Elder Scrolls games). The original Fallout just seemed kind of underwhelming considering all the praise surrounding it.

TL;DR: Is it wrong for me to prefer Bethesda's take on Fallout over the originals? I might try Fallout 2 in the future, but not right now.

• Options
    Fallout 2 is great and miles ahead of 1.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Time limits are bad and I don't begrudge anyone for not liking Fallout 1 because of that. It's certainly why I can't replay it, because I don't want to speedrun but also i'd hear that constant clock ticking in my head.

Fallout 2 has no time limit whatsoever.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I don't mind the time limit in Fallout because it makes sense with the story and it keeps you moving forward. It's also not super stringent, and there are (at least one I can think of offhand) ways to extend the timer. Modern RPGs have kind of spoiled us on being able to do everything whenever we want, which I like, but it's nice to actually have a big bad that isn't waiting for you to come and fight it.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I think Fallout 1 and 2 had better writing but yes, I definitely prefer Bethesda's open world design.

Wouldn't put Fallout 4 above them though. Fallout 3 and NV absolutely.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    True Fallout fans know that FO2 was garbage because of all the pop culture and jokes crammed in it. It isn't even a real FO game!

Luckily I am not a True Fallout fan I guess. :razz:

And yes, this was a mindset of certain FO fans when FO2 came out.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I don't mind the time limit in Fallout because it makes sense with the story and it keeps you moving forward. It's also not super stringent, and there are (at least one I can think of offhand) ways to extend the timer. Modern RPGs have kind of spoiled us on being able to do everything whenever we want, which I like, but it's nice to actually have a big bad that isn't waiting for you to come and fight it.

The second time limit in Fallout is almost entirely inconsequential. IIRC, it's not even coded in-game as a time limit, but is a result of, like, integer overrun or something.

But yeah, the original Fallouts do NOT hold your hand. Some of Grimthwalker's problems may have been ameliorated by having the manual, like how to use tools, maybe if that's in the manual (?). But yeah, you're on your own for figuring out where the hell the mutants are coming from. But that was sorta the innovation back then, and RPG that didn't put you on rails. It WAS the open world RPG of the day.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Actually the second hard time limit was patched out (well there still is technically a hard limit if you run out of days since the game stores dates as a small number of bytes, but that's a time limit in the same sense as the sun burning out is a time limit, very few players are probably going to reach 4000+ days in game without intentionally trying.)

There is the potential for super mutant invasions if you really dawdle around, but all thay really affects is the ending text.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    True Fallout fans know that FO2 was garbage because of all the pop culture and jokes crammed in it. It isn't even a real FO game!

Luckily I am not a True Fallout fan I guess. :razz:

And yes, this was a mindset of certain FO fans when FO2 came out.

I have literally seen people argue that every Fallout game is amazing and also Garbage, so I stopped paying attentions to which ones were "real fallout" a long time ago and just play what I liked to play. I've only been inside the actual New Vegas city in like one playthrough.

• Options
    The only real fallout is Brotherhood of Steel

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    The only real fallout is Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon

• Options
    I started with 3 and loved it. I played NV and it was OK, but I didn't like it as much, and the infinite load screen bug frustrated me enough to stop playing it even though there were some workarounds. Fallout 4 seems really good so far. I've never really cared about the main story and only end up doing it after like 300 hours of scavenging everything else in the game.
    I will say though that
    After getting killed like 5 times by the mirelurk queen, i said screw it and put like 5 bottlecap mines on the ground and 1 shot her. It basically froze my ps4 for a few seconds to process all the shit that went everywhere.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I have never really cared about the main story in any Bethesda Fallout game.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I've found the main quests to be good incentives to go out and explore the world, go from town to town. I can't say that I've been particularly gripped by the main story in any Fallout - and this goes for the Interplay ones as well as the Bethesda ones. Like even in FO1, I was emotionally invested, but it's not exactly an intricate story: A thing is broken, please find a thing to fix it, ok you fixed it now protect us from the scary people.

As for the time limit in FO1, I feel like it's a very simulationist, 90s-era mindset: "Well it makes sense to have a time limit here, since they're running out of water, so we should put that in". It made me super-nervous and uncomfortable the first time I played, but in practice it actually never posed a problem for me. I can't recall ever coming even close to brushing up against the limit, and I'm the kind of player who takes his sweet time, thoroughly exploring everything, talking to everyone, and so on.

EDIT: It's kind of weird: it definitely increased the narrative tension for me, and in a sense added to the experience, but I'm not sure I feel like it was worth the sense of anxiety. Obviously now it's no big deal, if I want to replay it I know what I need to do to move past the section with the time limit, but that's having played it a bunch of times.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Aaaaand Creation Club update killed my f4se. I wasn't thinking and saw it was waiting on an update and was like "Sure why not". I thought we were going to stop this shit, Bethesda.

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

The second time limit in Fallout is almost entirely inconsequential. IIRC, it's not even coded in-game as a time limit, but is a result of, like, integer overrun or something.

But yeah, the original Fallouts do NOT hold your hand. Some of Grimthwalker's problems may have been ameliorated by having the manual, like how to use tools, maybe if that's in the manual (?). But yeah, you're on your own for figuring out where the hell the mutants are coming from. But that was sorta the innovation back then, and RPG that didn't put you on rails. It WAS the open world RPG of the day.

There was no hand holding and baby sitting.

There was only a vast irradiated wasteland, and you were thrown into it and said "figure it the fuck out, oh by the way, deathclaw behind you fucko"

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Buttcleft wrote: »

There was only a vast irradiated wasteland, and you were thrown into it and said "figure it the fuck out, oh by the way, deathclaw behind you fucko"

I remember for FO2, people would die and get stuck in the goddamned tutorial area. The tutorial area they added to the game because Interplay was worried about throwing players into the game world too quickly.

hippofant on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

I remember for FO2, people would die and get stuck in the goddamned tutorial area. The tutorial area they added to the game because Interplay was worried about throwing players into the game world too quickly.

It was a comprehensive introduction to some game mechanics. Such as critical failures if your bad at a form of combat like, say, unarmed combat when you've yet to get any weapons or how priming dynamite can go badly if you aren't invested in the traps skill.

Course this was a game where you could encounter a deathclaw pack pretty early on in a random encounter (albeit not full grown ones) so a deadly tutorial area doesn't feel entirely out of place.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

On the standard difficulty, if you try to W+M1 the F4 tutorial deathclaw the way you did the tutorial raiders, it will open your power armor like a tin can and kill you before you can kill it.

There is a nonzero amount of figuring it the fuck out to be done, but you have actual if limited tools to do it with.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Glazius wrote: »

On the standard difficulty, if you try to W+M1 the F4 tutorial deathclaw the way you did the tutorial raiders, it will open your power armor like a tin can and kill you before you can kill it.

There is a nonzero amount of figuring it the fuck out to be done, but you have actual if limited tools to do it with.

Exactly. No matter how you build your character, there's a way to handle that encounter. The same is not true of Fallout 2's tutorial.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    The real dick move in fallout 4 wasn't the tutorial deathclaw, it was sending you to core game straight after.

I remember dieing over and over in the f2 tutorial though. Oh it's a fallout game, all I really need is small guns right?

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    hm, yeah, i think calling the fallout 2 tutorial lethal or dangerous undersells it a little

i've played video games where you can die in the tutorial and it's rough but whatever

fallout 2 throws you in and your shit literally does not work

• Options

Uh, thats literally all you do against the F4 deathclaw.

You get a big honkin armor, a big honkin gun, and you basically w+m1 it to death.

• Options

You get a big honkin armor, a big honkin gun, and you basically w+m1 it to death.

No you S+m1 it to death, cause that thing is coming for you.

• Options
    I dunno what all this math is I just shot it with a minigun

• Options
    Someone made a F4SE plugin to back up the Fallout 4 exe

As usual, the community comes through.

• Options

Enigmedic wrote: »
    No you S+m1 it to death, cause that thing is coming for you.

(for the uninitiated, w+m1/s+m1 mean "move forward firing constantly" and "move backward firing constantly", after the keyboard key and mouse button 1 you'd press in a PC FPS to move forward or backward firing constantly)

Out of curiosity I tried it on John Fallout, a straight-4 character with no special perks for boosting minigun damage (it would be possible with the book for STR 5).

And. Well, I'm actually not sure? I don't know if you get a mercy hit or not, but basically popping stimpaks as fast as possible after the first low health warning ended the fight with about a full minigun drum (500 rounds), a red power armor chest and no other intact parts, and my HP ticking up from what I swear was 0, or at least a pixel above it.

My first actual time playing the game, I tried to use the roof as a turret position with the minigun, since there's that one raider up there and I made a go of it for a little while with VATS and such. So I ran out of ammo trying to take out the deathclaw, and that's almost definitely fatal. It's way more maneuverable than you in power armor, going forwards or backwards.

(my most recent run I decided to see how well I could pull off that fight, so I mined the deathclaw's exit point and supplemented the minigun with the frag grenades and molotovs you find in and around the first couple settlements/raiders to end up with two drums of ammo and the armor totally intact)

This discussion has been closed.