As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Your Cube Was Nuked By xXx420yolo_69

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm really not sure what to think of this game yet. I have a funny feeling I'll end up buying it because I've spent hundreds of hours in clunky survival shooters over the years, and because I love Fallout...but I can't tell if this game is a hot mess or not yet.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Fuck. So my copy is sitting at the post office with a new delivery day for tomorrow. I called and asked if I can just come pick it up since I am literally a block away. Nope. I can't pick up my own damn package. It HAS to be delivered.

I just wanted some Country Roads after work. :(

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    If people are partied up, and one of them gets shot by another player, can anyone in the party return fire or is it only the person who was hit?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »

This seems about right. I’ve had only a single PvP fight so far and that was over a workbench. Everything else has been really friendly.

It helps that you do almost zero damage to another player until they shoot back. Firing on someone is the equivalent of sending a duel request in another MMO.

This has 100% been my experience as well. Only pvp was one fight over a workbench. You mostly just don't run into people at all it feels like, especially as people get out from the starting couple of breadcrumbs the main story leads you too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    If people are partied up, and one of them gets shot by another player, can anyone in the party return fire or is it only the person who was hit?

Pretty sure it's just the person that was hit. One of the videos I saw about the game said a person can just fight a party one at a time if they're careful. Not sure if it was wrong or it has been changed.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Fuck. So my copy is sitting at the post office with a new delivery day for tomorrow. I called and asked if I can just come pick it up since I am literally a block away. Nope. I can't pick up my own damn package. It HAS to be delivered.

I just wanted some Country Roads after work. :(

I was in our local FedEx office last summer, waiting for the very agitated Indian fellow in front of me who had lost his passport and had a replacement coming to him from India via some shifty overnite shipping outfit. The FedEx guy was holding the envelope IN HIS HAND that contained his passport (supposedly) but couldn't release it to him because the international shipping information was so FUBARed. I thought he was going to jump over the counter and attack him, anything to get that envelope.

Luckily good sense prevailed.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »

This seems about right. I’ve had only a single PvP fight so far and that was over a workbench. Everything else has been really friendly.

It helps that you do almost zero damage to another player until they shoot back. Firing on someone is the equivalent of sending a duel request in another MMO.

eh I watched a guy for like three hours yesterday and there was shoot baiting and other dumb fuck behavior. That article is basically marketing copy disguised as an article.

Let people level up more, get better gear, they'll be shit heads soon enough.
    I recognize that this is hyperbole, and also that there will be plenty of jerks (now and over time) in the game, but I also feel the need to say that "marketing copy disguised as an article" is the exact opposite of how Patricia Hernandez writes about games.

• Options
    LuqLuq Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Your best chance of finding recipes comes from breaking down items. Have you scrapped some of your scavenged Melee Weapons ?

Aha. No I hadn't. Those aren't the sort of things I carry multiple of, and then I tend to drop them when I get an upgrade. Stupid inventory limit. I'll have to look for Grahm too, thanks @Sirialis .

FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I played the Beta on another account, so I shifted over the most needed stuff onto my main account new character yesterday.

I guess I'll make a couple of packmule alts until a patch that fixes the 400 cap, not saving my breath for it and it will probably just be a token effort.

That Bethesda thought 400lbs was enough is laughable, especially considering ammo has weight in this.

Are recipes and your Camp shared across your account ?

I hadn't though of that, and alt mules might be a temporary fix...

I very much doubt that recipes are shared.

Camp isnt shared and doesnt seem like you can trade between your own characters without having someone help you.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    So, any news on all those alleged 'sploits from the beta? All the stuff about being able to modify your stats client-side, and the server just taking them as correct and not verifying them? I remember an explosion of Internet Outrage a week ago, despite very little solid proof beyond a very confident reddit post, but I've been trying to find any discussion about whether or not that stuff is possible in the live game and I'm not seeing anything. I would have expected that if the exploits were possible, there'd be countless howling YouTube videos up already.

• Options
    GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    So, any news on all those alleged 'sploits from the beta? All the stuff about being able to modify your stats client-side, and the server just taking them as correct and not verifying them? I remember an explosion of Internet Outrage a week ago, despite very little solid proof beyond a very confident reddit post, but I've been trying to find any discussion about whether or not that stuff is possible in the live game and I'm not seeing anything. I would have expected that if the exploits were possible, there'd be countless howling YouTube videos up already.

From what I saw people tested it and found that most (all?) of the data is in fact encrypted and that mostly everything that was in that post was just wrong.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Found my first workshop area and was like "neat!". Then I got the message telling me if I claim it I open myself up for PvP as others try to steal it from me and I was like "nope!".

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Is anyone else getting an issue where your settlement budget is maxed before you even place anything? The only things I have stored are from a pretty simple blueprint with all the workbenches and a couple turrets, so I don't think that's the problem.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Metallikat wrote: »
    Found my first workshop area and was like "neat!". Then I got the message telling me if I claim it I open myself up for PvP as others try to steal it from me and I was like "nope!".

That’s not quite how it works. If someone tries to take it from you then they flag as attackable to you. And do take them, because no one has tried to take them yet and you can set up resource pumps there.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    Ghlinn wrote: »

From what I saw people tested it and found that most (all?) of the data is in fact encrypted and that mostly everything that was in that post was just wrong.

And a shocking development it was, too, to learn that a random redditor was, in fact, wrong.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    So I managed to get a few hours in, after a rather lengthy commute.
    I too found my first workshop, at a power station - hurrah!
    The power station was full of supermutants - huroo!
    But there was an event going on - hurrah!
    But I spent way too long figuring out what i needed to do, and failed it with a few small tasks to do - huroo!
    But I worked it out so I can probably do it next time I'm in the area - hurrah!
    But I used almost all my ammo in th e event and now I have nada - huroo!
    But I found some power armor - hurrah!
    But I also only found one fusion core - huroo!

So I guess we're at break even on this one. It was fun though. With a team it would've been amazing.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

Yeah, the first PC I ran into was really helpful and ran a couple of quests with me.

The next guy I ran into, though, was basically just saying "show me your tits" in voice chat constantly.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    For whatever reason I ran around with a carrying capacity of 250 all day. I see no buffs that would do this.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

Yeah, the first PC I ran into was really helpful and ran a couple of quests with me.

The next guy I ran into, though, was basically just saying "show me your tits" in voice chat constantly.

I immediately set voice chat to Team only before I'd even entered character creation.
    It is a choice I stand by.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    For whatever reason I ran around with a carrying capacity of 250 all day. I see no buffs that would do this.

That happened to me for a while yesterday, too, altho my particular carry limit was 185, up from 155. I think it might have been a reward from winning the starter quest in Flatwoods maybe ?

• Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

That happened to me for a while yesterday, too, altho my particular carry limit was 185, up from 155. I think it might have been a reward from winning the starter quest in Flatwoods maybe ?

On the topic of carry capacity the first town you get to has the quest to learn cooking. The steak you learn is actually decent hunger restoring and +20lbs carrying and is super easy to farm. Just need Brahmin and wood.

On the topic of wood, if you weren’t aware almost all trees on the ground (broken, big logs etc) are interactable and give plenty of wood. It’s not super obvious that this is the case.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I can’t decide if I regret this impulse buy last night. To be fair, I only found out about the game at all like a week ago and did basically zero research before just buying on a whim.

Why is there no text chat?

Why is proximity voice chat on by default?

Why does pacifist mode prevent ME from doing damage to others but not prevent others from doing damage to ME?

Why can I not just play by myself or with only friends?

Why do I desperately want to go home and play more anyway?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    My FO76 character is pretty much a copy of my FO4 character. I probably spent about 1/2 hour in the editor getting things just right.
    And you can have tattoos now (although I'd guess that there was probably a mod that already did that for FO4).
    lx6z75tqvtm7.jpg

This game's alright. I just miss NPC's. Audiologs alone just doesn't give me that same narrative satisfaction.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Your capacity also goes up as you level Strength. So if you picked up a card there, your capacity is going to jump. (At least that's what it seemed like happened to me?)

On the actual game, I'm absolutely loving it so far. I think I dropped like 5 hours in last night and just barely got out of Flatwoods. I wandered around to a couple of POI's on the map, but I also noticed that there are a ton of unmarked ones just off in the wilderness between them. Camp sites, the large bridge, etc. I can see a hundred hours of exploration out of this game easily.

• Options
    Half an hour in character creation?

Look at Speedy Gonzales over here!

>.>

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    My FO76 character is pretty much a copy of my FO4 character. I probably spent about 1/2 hour in the editor getting things just right.
    And you can have tattoos now (although I'd guess that there was probably a mod that already did that for FO4).
    lx6z75tqvtm7.jpg

This game's alright. I just miss NPC's. Audiologs alone just doesn't give me that same narrative satisfaction.

It’s kinda intresting on the NPCs thing. It means the story is a little hollow if your after a new fallout RPG.

But, when you compare it to other games in its genre (Ark, Rust and so on) it blows them out of the water in terms of its storytelling in comparison.

I’ve put about 20 hours in over the past two days thanks to some vacation time. I’m really enjoying this game for its own thing, this weird RPG survival hybrid. It’s definately not perfect. I’m nearly full on stash space, inventory management is a little trickier than it needs to be and it’s got some of them tasty Bethesda bugs. (Or in one notable quests case i assumed it was bugged because lol Bethesda and it turns out that no, there’s not supposed to be a quest marker, you just come across the relevant logs doing the side quests).

Vats probably needs some tuning, I only ever use it to shoot roaches or flies.

The game just kinda assumes you know how some things work from playing F4. Sneak attack bonuses work in this game, and It never mentions it for example.

I though the perk cards thing would be annoying, but I actually really like it. Tieing “common” cards to level ups was a good idea, and the whole thing is reminiscent of traits from various tabletop RPGs.

The build limit seems to increase as you level up, but it’s a bit too slow. I’ve got a chemistry bench, a stove, a water purifier with the required generators and then four turrets and I’m capped. If I get any more workbench patterns I’m going to have to lose turrets. I know logically it’s going to increase (as the later turrets cost more than all of my turrets currently) but I think it’s a little tight. I’ve got some nice cosmetic items I can craft but no space to use them.

The noise molemen make is terrifying, especially at 1am through headphones.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    On the bright side, Amazon gave me a 25% refund for the game not showing up today... I'm still bummed I can't play, but a discount is nice.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    This is me:

y5WjVIG.jpg

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    This is me:

y5WjVIG.jpg

I kinda want to see PvP events get more popular entirely for the moment when one guy rocks up in his power armour and everyone else goes “oh shit”.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Any way to cure rads apart from RadAway? Have a mutation I'd kind of like to keep.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Any way to cure rads apart from RadAway? Have a mutation I'd kind of like to keep.
    What you actually want is the Starched Genes perk.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Starched_Genes

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Found a pair of legendary right legs that increases my damage and energy resistance by 35 if I’m at full HP... My total DR was 36, now its 77, at level 11. (114 energy resistance)

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    The game just switched to ultrawidescreen format out of no where. I changed no settings, it just happened. Cool! Weird, but cool!

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Not sure who I was fooling, I was always going to buy this. I'm on PC, do we have a PA player list going yet?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    Ghlinn wrote: »

While the encryption thing was wrong, I don't know if the client bit has been disproved, this game keeps too much shit there for comfort; the fact that's a MP component bodged into a slightly altered single player engine shows, and hard, from the stuff I've seen, and there's a modding community that knows this thing better then the back of their hands. The vulnerabilities will be found, and fast, and given the technical bullshit I've heard of, they probably will be embarrassing.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    And someone's already come up with a mod to let you sort your inventory in a sane manner.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/32?tab=description

Metallikat on
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I wonder if they're going to start clamping down on the modding. Granted it's all texture/ui stuff as far as I can tell (at least on Nexus, I'm unsure if they would allow cheaty mods in this case) but companies tend to have a problem with that sort of thing in MP games. Or they'll be somehow too bewildered that people who have been modding their mod-friendly engine for the past 15 years managed to do it without the Creation Kit.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They said they were going to allow mods, of course they did not specify what that entailed. But they better damn well not ban stuff like that.

• Options
  • Options
    Strikor wrote: »
    I wonder if they're going to start clamping down on the modding. Granted it's all texture/ui stuff as far as I can tell (at least on Nexus, I'm unsure if they would allow cheaty mods in this case) but companies tend to have a problem with that sort of thing in MP games. Or they'll be somehow too bewildered that people who have been modding their mod-friendly engine for the past 15 years managed to do it without the Creation Kit.

They actively encourage mods on Elder Scrolls Online. I know that's Zenimax, not really Bethesda, but I still think it suggests a general likelihood of not being opposed to mods here. At least, ones that don't have a negative effect on others.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
This discussion has been closed.