As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:Stormblood] Rise of a New Sun (Patch 4.2) rises Jan 30th [Prelim Patch Notes]

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I wonder if *mechanics spoilers *
    They could increase the safe zone when you're about to be blown away a bit more. Also, there's some weird hit box shenanigans when targeting the tail.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Completed 3.2 and 3.3 yesterday.

3.2 and 3.3 spoilers
    "Throw them over the side!"

NO. Fuck you Aymeric! Lock the eyes up in two separate vaults but do not throw them--

*Warrior of Light and Alphinaud chuck them both over the side*

For fuck's sake. I know what you're doing here, storyline, and it's really blatantly contrived. I've been told that the area at the bottom of the bridge is so dense in aether as to be inhospitable to most things, but I have one word in response: ASCIANS. Yeah! Those guys! They can probably waltz right in, collect both of the eyes, and then start their fuckery again.

*cutscene plays, showing Warrior of Darkness standing next to cliff where eyes were thrown*

FUCKING. CALLED IT. They don't have them yet but I know it's coming.

Also getting very tired of people not planning for incredibly obvious bad things occurring. "Hey we're going to meet Vidofnir at Falcon's Watch to broker peace. Oh, trouble with some group? Better send both our competent leaders to handle it while leaving the place under the control of a known fuckwit. Oh noes we left the incredibly important event under the care of the fuckabout and now everything's ruined. Okay let's hold a big fighting event to recover everyone's spirits. Great we won now let's do the peace thing again. Oh noes we never anticipated fucking Niddhog showing up to crash the party and no one noticed him flying in or standing up on the parapet until he nearly killed Vidofnir."

Madican on
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

3.2 and 3.3 spoilers

NO. Fuck you Aymeric! Lock the eyes up in two separate vaults but do not throw them--

For fuck's sake. I know what you're doing here, storyline, and it's really blatantly contrived. I've been told that the area at the bottom of the bridge is so dense in aether as to be inhospitable to most things, but I have one word in response: ASCIANS. Yeah! Those guys! They can probably waltz right in, collect both of the eyes, and then start their fuckery again.

*cutscene plays, showing Warrior of Darkness standing next to cliff where eyes were thrown*

Also getting very tired of people not planning for incredibly obvious bad things occurring. "Hey we're going to meet Vidofnir at Falcon's Watch to broker peace. Oh, trouble with some group? Better send both our competent leaders to handle it while leaving the place under the control of a known fuckwit. Oh noes we left the incredibly important event under the care of the fuckabout and now everything's ruined. Okay let's hold a big fighting event to recover everyone's spirits. Great we won now let's do the peace thing again. Oh noes we never anticipated fucking Niddhog showing up to crash the party and no one noticed him flying in or standing up on the parapet until he nearly killed Vidofnir."
    The foolishness of that snap decision is brought up at least twice later on if that makes you feel better. It is recognized that a bit more thought would have likely not been a bad idea.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I wonder if *mechanics spoilers *
    They could increase the safe zone when you're about to be blown away a bit more. Also, there's some weird hit box shenanigans when targeting the tail.
    That is to teach you a valuable lesson - Sprint no longer costs TP, so the devs will throw Sprint based mechanics at you.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

3.2 and 3.3 spoilers

Allow me to say one thing:
    You have no fucking idea of the problem those eyes are going to become.
    Stormblood ending spoiler:
    Which makes their final destruction by Estinien a bit anticlimactic. Two quick stabs.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    The level 63 trial is anime as fuck and I LOVE IT

• Options
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    The level 63 trial is anime as fuck and I LOVE IT

Seriously.
    That fight is just awesome to tank, because you get to PUSH BACK A GIANT FUCKING SWORD.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    That music change in that moment, too.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular

3.2 and 3.3 spoilers

Allow me to say one thing:
    You have no fucking idea of the problem those eyes are going to become.
    Stormblood ending spoiler:
    Which makes their final destruction by Estinien a bit anticlimactic. Two quick stabs.
    Let's be honest, those eyes needed to die forever ago.
    I cheered in my seat when he finally FINALLY got rid of those forever.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I watched dungeon guides beforehand all through HW since I came to it very late, but coming to the SB dungeons and trials fresh has proven to be a great decision.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Enlong wrote: »
    That music change in that moment, too.
    "Wild and pure and forever free!"

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Finished it finally.

I've seen some shit man.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    As an FFVI fan, I quite enjoyed the level 69 dungeon.

• Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    So, the new magitek mount can drop from the last MSQ dungeon but is really, really rare.

I guess I know what I will be running for the foreseeable future.

• Options
    As an FFVI fan, I quite enjoyed the level 69 dungeon.

In many ways, the game continues to be a love letter to FF fans.
    When you finally meet Hien, and the rearrangement of the Doma theme from FF VI plays...

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Finished the MSQ last night (yay!). Have both SAM and BRD at 70 as a result.

Does getting verity tomes now work the same way that lore used to work? That is, doing practically anything when you're level 70?

Also, I got the blindfold from that one quest and now I am trying so hard to find a use for it. I have an idea for SAM but I don't know if there are the right pieces to pull it off.

• Options
    If you're thinking of Raiden, the Best Man's outfit could work as a "prologue chapter before he gets off the limo" costume.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Fonjo wrote: »

3.2 and 3.3 spoilers

The foolishness of that snap decision is brought up at least twice later on if that makes you feel better. It is recognized that a bit more thought would have likely not been a bad idea.

It does actually.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    If you're thinking of Raiden, the Best Man's outfit could work as a "prologue chapter before he gets off the limo" costume.

Actually I was thinking of Kenshi from MKX. The position of the blade won't work, but I'm trying to remember if any of his outfits would be doable.

EDIT: Oops forgot to ask- is there anything I should be spending poetics on that would be useful for a level 70?

ringswraith on
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

Actually I was thinking of Kenshi from MKX. The position of the blade won't work, but I'm trying to remember if any of his outfits would be doable.

EDIT: Oops forgot to ask- is there anything I should be spending poetics on that would be useful for a level 70?

Nope. Just Lv.50/60 Gear. Though maybe we will use Poetics for a future Stormblood Relic item.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I am interested in Omega, but I have fallen into the dark abyss that is omnicrafting.

All crafters currently level 7, send help

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    level 7's hardly any commitment. best give up now

and help me do extreme primals

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    At what point in the MSQ does the Shire gear start getting replaced or it is good enough to use until 70?

I'm trying to decide if I want to start collecting gear for my alt classes along the way, either BRD or WHM, and they both share quest rewards with my RDM. Both classes will have to go from 50-70 and at least with WHM I'll have fast duty finder queues. However, I love how BRD feels to play if the streamlined skill set in PvP is anything to go by. It takes about 65 Shatters to get enough Poetics for a full set of Shire gear, and so I could theoretically have a full set of Shire gear for when one job is 60 if I want to do the grind again. I do at least have all of the 50-60 quest reward armor/accessories from when I leveled my MCH from 50-60.

This is also assuming I want to level one or two more classes from 50 to 70 since I'm really only playing for the story right now. I have zero interest in getting into raiding or end game content again. That said, I've really enjoyed both BRD and MCH in PvP, and it might be useful to have a secondary job that isn't DPS for variety.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Do you only get Omega rewards once per week, or is it like a...run as many times as you want thing?

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Do you only get Omega rewards once per week, or is it like a...run as many times as you want thing?

I believe each of the four current Omega encounters has a one token per week lockout. So a possible 4 tokens per week.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    At what point in the MSQ does the Shire gear start getting replaced or it is good enough to use until 70?

I'm trying to decide if I want to start collecting gear for my alt classes along the way, either BRD or WHM, and they both share quest rewards with my RDM. Both classes will have to go from 50-70 and at least with WHM I'll have fast duty finder queues. However, I love how BRD feels to play if the streamlined skill set in PvP is anything to go by. It takes about 65 Shatters to get enough Poetics for a full set of Shire gear, and so I could theoretically have a full set of Shire gear for when one job is 60 if I want to do the grind again. I do at least have all of the 50-60 quest reward armor/accessories from when I leveled my MCH from 50-60.

This is also assuming I want to level one or two more classes from 50 to 70 since I'm really only playing for the story right now. I have zero interest in getting into raiding or end game content again. That said, I've really enjoyed both BRD and MCH in PvP, and it might be useful to have a secondary job that isn't DPS for variety.

My experience is that Augmented Shire gear will start getting outclassed at 65 (though still usable), and you will definitely hit a roadblock at 67. (We saw this pattern with augmented Ironworks gear in HW as well.) Thankfully, the "you always get one piece you can use" rule in HW/SB leveling dungeons makes it relatively easy to gear up.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Yeah I started replacing my 270 pieces at around level 66-67. A couple pieces of 270 didn't get replaced until L70, because I didn't get the right drops.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    The high quality quest rewards you get start being better than 270 gear at around 65-66

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Yeah I started replacing my 270 pieces at around level 66-67. A couple pieces of 270 didn't get replaced until L70, because I didn't get the right drops.

My wife is annoyed at leveling roulette for not giving us enough opportunities to get healer gear on the way to 70.

One thing that's really useful now is that you get a full left side i290 set at 70, which for most people gets them geared for the expert roulette to some degree.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular

1 Tank, Healer and DPS wore our 270 gear all the way to level 70. Hitting level 70 was a big reward (before the last MSQ dungeon) as it allowed us to replace our severely underleveled gear. We started finding things challenging around level 67-68 or so.

• Options
    I only have two pieces of 270, a ring and my weapon, but it looks like I'll still be replacing gear around 65 then. I did take a look at the stats on quest reward gear, and even 260 Shire gear holds up stat wise at until 66-67 even if the ilevel is quite a bit lower.

It would take another 16 rounds of Shatter to get all of my gear to 270, and I'd really rather get back to finishing the Heavensward MSQ so I can finally start the Stormblood MSQ.

• Options
    Riokenn wrote: »

Nope. Just Lv.50/60 Gear. Though maybe we will use Poetics for a future Stormblood Relic item.

Hm. Thing is I need to spend them as I'm nearing cap.

Guess I could augment my tanking set. Still torn on whether to focus on PLD or DRK.

What role abilities are recommended for them now?

• Options
    I only have two pieces of 270, a ring and my weapon, but it looks like I'll still be replacing gear around 65 then. I did take a look at the stats on quest reward gear, and even 260 Shire gear holds up stat wise at until 66-67 even if the ilevel is quite a bit lower.

It would take another 16 rounds of Shatter to get all of my gear to 270, and I'd really rather get back to finishing the Heavensward MSQ so I can finally start the Stormblood MSQ.

Main Scenario and 50/60 roulettes as well as Wonderous Tails are excellent sources of poetics, as well as the former giving solid EXP.

• Options
    edited July 2017

Main Scenario and 50/60 roulettes as well as Wonderous Tails are excellent sources of poetics, as well as the former giving solid EXP.

The more options the better when trying to catch up 20 levels. I actually did a lot of hunts, beat tribe quests, cleared out a zone or two of sidequests, a little daily roulette with guildmates, and roughly 60 Shatter matches to level my RDM. Only towards the end did I go hard on Shatter in order to make sure I had enough poetics. I ended up having to play a few matches with my BRD and WHM to get there which then led to my conundrum of which of those two classes do I want to prioritize next.

Cormac on
  • Options
    Dark Knight level 70 GET.

• Options
    Dark Knight level 70 GET.

Welcome, brother. Learn to love The Blackest Night.

• Options
    Oh my god, that final DRK story quest.

They stuck the landing.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Finally got a bird. Between Bismarck EX and Ravana EX, I think I ran them about 60 times. Got the rose lanner, which is what I wanted in the first place. Woo!

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    The Royal Menagerie is a cool fight and all, but I'm baffled at the massive leap in complexity over everything in the MSQ prior.

It is entirely about execution, which makes it feel more like an EX and less like something you have to do in order to finish the MSQ.

I guess I'll just keep trying to get in a group where 2-3 people don't die to every new mechanic, every time. It feels incredibly poorly tuned, considering what has been expected of players in every dungeon/trial prior in the MSQ; it honestly doesn't feel like it was tested with poor to mediocre players at all.

I just wanted to finish the MSQ. I didn't want to sit here the last 5 hours constantly wiping in 10-15 minute fights and waiting in queues when the timer inevitably runs out.

EDIT: and of course a good competent team makes it feel pretty easy. That's how the execution fights go, though.

Not entirely related; does anyone know off hand what the name of the FFVI Doma castle arrangement is? I want to add it to my orchestrion playlist if I have it.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    any game where i have to set an alarm to create a character...... :D

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
This discussion has been closed.