Options

Heaven 'n Hell, Plug 'n Play (Super NES Classic, etc.)

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    By the way, I'm not casting judgement on anyone buying a RetroCade or Retron 5 or whatever. Just figured some people might be interested to know some of the shadier things going on with them.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    DCAarmus wrote: »
    I saw the Prime Now promotion the instant it was live and successfully ordered the SNES Classic but the dang driver apparently thought the address was more of a suggestion and "delivered" it about a mile from my home at 11PM. By the time I tracked it down, the package was nowhere to be seen so it was probably stolen...or the driver just kept it. I got a full refund from Amazon but I'm pretty sour about the whole endeavor now.

Wow, what the hell.

Amazon's own delivery service is certainly an interesting thing. On Sunday our roommate got his package delivered by a guy in a U-Haul truck.

I actually saw a UPS -> U-haul truck swap on the way home last night. A UPS truck was pulled up on the side of a road transferring packages from his truck to a U-haul driven by another guy in a UPS uniform.

It was a super nice neighborhood, so I don't think it was a heist. Unless that presumption was the reason they picked that road for a heist...

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    I saw the Prime Now promotion the instant it was live and successfully ordered the SNES Classic but the dang driver apparently thought the address was more of a suggestion and "delivered" it about a mile from my home at 11PM. By the time I tracked it down, the package was nowhere to be seen so it was probably stolen...or the driver just kept it. I got a full refund from Amazon but I'm pretty sour about the whole endeavor now.

Wow, what the hell.

Amazon's own delivery service is certainly an interesting thing. On Sunday our roommate got his package delivered by a guy in a U-Haul truck.

Amazon's delivery service is just subcontract people with a truck. So service can be shitty sometimes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    I visited the Amazon fulfillment center in Baltimore and actually, even USPS and UPS don't deliver a fraction of the total workload. Tons of subcontractors and actually amazon has some of its own trucks which are known to be exceptionally quick. There are all of these algorithms and whatnot that determine who delivers what.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Wow, what the hell.

I actually saw a UPS -> U-haul truck swap on the way home last night. A UPS truck was pulled up on the side of a road transferring packages from his truck to a U-haul driven by another guy in a UPS uniform.

It was a super nice neighborhood, so I don't think it was a heist. Unless that presumption was the reason they picked that road for a heist...

Could be the UPS truck broke down. I've had to do that before when the transmission in the bug died.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Amazon is an elaborate, fancy pants company.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Wow, what the hell.

Could be the UPS truck broke down. I've had to do that before when the transmission in the bug died.

Yeah, that's actually what I assumed when I saw it go down. The dudes didn't look too happy about it.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    One complaint on the Retrocade.

There is some noise in Bad Dudes (Arcade) sound.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    SNES classic editions seem to be getting easier to find. It was in stock on gamestop.com for a while yesterday. Might still be, haven't checked.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    My store actually got some in the day after Christmas. They've also just been coming in on our regular trucks instead of being rushed via FedEx.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    My store actually got some in the day after Christmas. They've also just been coming in on our regular trucks instead of being rushed via FedEx.

Looks like resellers are still coming down in price on amazon too. I've seen a few under $100

One day soon I hope to see resellers asking for prices that would be a loss

I won't, but one can dream

• Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    I am glad to see it's starting to show up more frequently. Nintendo actually followed through with their promise...what a concept!

In other news: SNES games are a lot harder than I remember.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    swaylow wrote: »
    I am glad to see it's starting to show up more frequently. Nintendo actually followed through with their promise...what a concept!

In other news: SNES games are a lot harder than I remember.

That was my experience with Yoshi's Island, certainly.

• Options
    I was playing Super Ghouls and Ghosts while my brother-in-law was watching, and I feel like the shitty comments from him about what a crappy game it is were worse than the game's actual difficulty. And that's saying something, but he's a super grumpy person.

Sister-in-law was super thrilled about getting the SNES Classic for Christmas, though!

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I was playing Super Ghouls and Ghosts while my brother-in-law was watching, and I feel like the shitty comments from him about what a crappy game it is were worse than the game's actual difficulty. And that's saying something, but he's a super grumpy person.

Sister-in-law was super thrilled about getting the SNES Classic for Christmas, though!

The awesome is for the sister-in-law being excited. Wish there was a lump of coal for your brother-in-law button though.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I saw a stack of SNES classics at Target last night. Had to talk myself out of buying it. The nostalgia is strong with this one.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

Sure Nintendo has a history of understocking product early on, but every single time they've come out and said they were going to increase their output, they have done so. I really don't get why everyone assumed they were lying this time.

• Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

Sure Nintendo has a history of understocking product early on, but every single time they've come out and said they were going to increase their output, they have done so. I really don't get why everyone assumed they were lying this time.

Fair. Personally I didn't think they were lying about increasing or greatly increasing production, more like skeptical they would/could make enough to meet the demand for these things since there is clearly a huge market for them. If I see one in the wild I'll probably buy another one for a friend.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Assuming a company will fail to do something is not the same as assuming they're lying about it.

So... for any other Secret of Mana fanatics out there, I enjoyed this TLDW retrospective I watched on my day off. It's a bit hokey at times, but there are some nice details and glitches he covers that I never knew about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Dc2nz6wvM

forty on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Haven't seen any of the new Genesis Flashbacks in Canada yet -- I wonder how much they're going for, if they're even here yet.

It's weird -- I sorta hoped I'd get one for Christmas, and the idea that I'm kinda sad I didn't get a SEGA Genesis for Christmas is frankly hilarious to me.

It's not a huge deal, though. Much as I'd like one (more for the MS/GG stuff, mind, but for some Genesis titles, too), I'm not too bothered as I'm waiting for someone to hopefully use the Android interface to fine-tune it. Or, worst(?)-case, hopefully AtGames will improve next year's model that last little bit it needs.

It's just a funny feeling is all, as I never even thought about getting a SEGA console for Xmas back in the day.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Earthbound would be nearly perfect if the inventory management weren't so bad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I got a Sega Genesis for Christmas one year when I was a kid and I didn't even ask for or expect it. It was a couple years after I got my SNES, so I had no expectation or feeling of want for another console (none of my friends owned a Genesis either). I called it the Sega sneak attack.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I saw 6 SNES classics at a Target today. The most I have ever seen in one place.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

Someone should have saved your sister before she married that guy.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I mean the game is not great but yeah, doesn't need to be a poop head about it.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    When I played through Contra 3 (making liberal use and abuse of them save states, I tell you what), boy howdy did I have some choice words for its game design.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    anoffday wrote: »

Someone should have saved your sister before she married that guy.

I have no sister! These are my wife's brother and sister. :)

(And he is single)

• Options
    I still haven't seen one in a store.

• Options
    When I played through Contra 3 (making liberal use and abuse of them save states, I tell you what), boy howdy did I have some choice words for its game design.

I haven't tried contra 3 yet, but i definitely gave up on sgag after about 5 minutes against the controls.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

I haven't tried contra 3 yet, but i definitely gave up on sgag after about 5 minutes against the controls.

Speaking of Contra 3 on the SNES classic, there seems to be an issue with it, but it could be the TV. I took the SNES Classic to a friend's house and while playing Contra 3 there were times where the bullets that I was firing were not being rendered, no matter the weapon. This was especially prevalent when fighting the boss that are the Terminator robot rip-offs. This definitely does NOT happen on the original cartridge + CRT. I believe I was using the 4:3 rendering mode.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    I saw three SNES Classics at my local Target yesterday. Hopefully it gets just as easy to find an NES Classic next year.

• Options
    This seems like a more balanced Ghost n' Goblins.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Ghosts_'n_Goblins

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »

Speaking of Contra 3 on the SNES classic, there seems to be an issue with it, but it could be the TV. I took the SNES Classic to a friend's house and while playing Contra 3 there were times where the bullets that I was firing were not being rendered, no matter the weapon. This was especially prevalent when fighting the boss that are the Terminator robot rip-offs. This definitely does NOT happen on the original cartridge + CRT. I believe I was using the 4:3 rendering mode.

Sounds like it might be related to the same sort of thing that makes stuff that flashes or blinks rapidly to not show up in recordings of gameplay on YouTube. I know Contra III always has a weird effect on old TVs where it sometimes looked like the bullets were traveling backwards into the gun.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Super Ghouls and Ghosts definitely plays like one of those modern challenge platformers like I Wanna Be The Guy or something, where it gets its kicks being mean and unfair to the player, but I find myself really charmed by its presentation and I enjoy finding a way to work with the strange way the character moves and fights. I really have fun with it and it's one of the main reasons I was excited for the SNES Classic.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I saw three SNES Classics at my local Target yesterday. Hopefully it gets just as easy to find an NES Classic next year.

Looking forward to getting one this year. I'll probably still end up going to walmart at midnight though like I did for the snes. Do we have any idea when it'll relaunch?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Super Ghouls and Ghosts definitely plays like one of those modern challenge platformers like I Wanna Be The Guy or something, where it gets its kicks being mean and unfair to the player, but I find myself really charmed by its presentation and I enjoy finding a way to work with the strange way the character moves and fights. I really have fun with it and it's one of the main reasons I was excited for the SNES Classic.

I liked the stuff it did with the shifting ground and stuff, but the controls were so sludgy I couldn't accomplish anything. I would definitely be interested in trying a version of it that was unchanged, except your character actually reacted to buttons you pressed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

Looking forward to getting one this year. I'll probably still end up going to walmart at midnight though like I did for the snes. Do we have any idea when it'll relaunch?

Last I heard, it was slated for this summer.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    I watched my roommate’s kids try to play Super Mario World the other day. It was entertaining, but they couldn’t clear 1-4 and had to redo 1-3 a few times due to running out of lives.

And then I made the mistake of playing my own saved state, which erased their save file completely. Whoops!

• Options
    The kids I mentioned in my previous post are leaving today, but they did spend a few more hours playing the SNES Classic yesterday. At least 3 hours were spent on Super Mario World. They made it to the second world, aka Donut Land, and made it to the level right before the Koopa kid’s castle. I taught them how best to fly with the cape and they were closer to staying airborne than I’d expected.

They also fought with each other a lot 9nce they saw the option of transferring lives to each other. Lots of *you OWE me two lives!” and “I’ll give you more lives when I get a bunch more in this level!” Usually followed by him dying to the first enemy in that level.

They spent some time playing Contra III too. After setting it to 7 lives, they were still completely wiping out before they could get to the first enemy “wall”, so I had them bump it down to easy. They managed to make it to the third level.

Overall, not bad for some kids who don’t have much experience with older video games. It’s gotten them into trouble with their dad, though. He came home yesterday and was pretty angry that none of the chores he assigned to them got done.

• Options
    The kids I mentioned in my previous post are leaving today, but they did spend a few more hours playing the SNES Classic yesterday. At least 3 hours were spent on Super Mario World. They made it to the second world, aka Donut Land, and made it to the level right before the Koopa kid’s castle. I taught them how best to fly with the cape and they were closer to staying airborne than I’d expected.

They also fought with each other a lot 9nce they saw the option of transferring lives to each other. Lots of *you OWE me two lives!” and “I’ll give you more lives when I get a bunch more in this level!” Usually followed by him dying to the first enemy in that level.

They spent some time playing Contra III too. After setting it to 7 lives, they were still completely wiping out before they could get to the first enemy “wall”, so I had them bump it down to easy. They managed to make it to the third level.

Overall, not bad for some kids who don’t have much experience with older video games. It’s gotten them into trouble with their dad, though. He came home yesterday and was pretty angry that none of the chores he assigned to them got done.
    "Another family broken up by Ronaldo! Yes!"