Options

Heaven 'n Hell, Plug 'n Play (Super NES Classic, etc.)

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I have a SF30 and bought one for both my siblings. They're great.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    swaylow wrote: »
    Just below L1 and R1 jutting out of the pad.

In practice it's actually fairly pleasant to use even if it's hard to believe. I have one of these as a cheapo second pro controller and while it's not even close as comfy as the Pro it's not bad.
    Well I'll be, then.

Still doesn't seem like it would be that comfortable.

For the first thirty minutes, it isn't, but once you get used to it it's actually pretty nice. The larger back side due to the shoulder buttons actually helps a lot with the old SNES ergonomics.

Plus it fits in my travel case so I can bring it along with the Switch as well.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I stand corrected then!

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Well, the number of buttons/inputs on controllers has also increased. It's not like you could put two analog sticks and two more shoulder buttons on an SNES shell and have it not be horrendous to use. In theory, ergonomics development and research has also furthered with the newer consoles. Then Microsoft decided to make fucking huge controllers (original XBox) for whatever reason. The size of Playstation controllers has barely changed since the first dual analog came out about two decades ago.

Also, look at the Wii and Switch. Wiimote + Nunchuk was relatively not that big, and the Switch controllers are pretty tiny.

The Duke did well with test groups, as I recall.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    it's funny, I never had much of a problem with the size of the Duke, it was the weird arrangement of ABXY, and then the black and white buttons that were my beef. They fixed ABXY with the Controller S, but not the black and white buttons until the 360 when they turned them into shoulder buttons

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Well, the number of buttons/inputs on controllers has also increased. It's not like you could put two analog sticks and two more shoulder buttons on an SNES shell and have it not be horrendous to use. In theory, ergonomics development and research has also furthered with the newer consoles. Then Microsoft decided to make fucking huge controllers (original XBox) for whatever reason. The size of Playstation controllers has barely changed since the first dual analog came out about two decades ago.

Also, look at the Wii and Switch. Wiimote + Nunchuk was relatively not that big, and the Switch controllers are pretty tiny.

Well enough that a bunch of people argued for keeping it, and are getting their wishes for a version of it on XB1, but that's true for a lot of retired products.

The "Duke" makes more sense if you consider it in the context of the Dreamcast controllers that clearly inspired it (as well as the "S" Controllers/Japanese model). Xbox was taking a lot of guidance from Dreamcast's design, though Sega had the excuse of keeping a window for the VMU screens (even if not all VMU's had screens), but an extra stick and almost twice the buttons. Making it bigger was an easy way to easily account for all of them. I actually preferred it for 3D fighter games over the "S", but I also was used to the DC controller which was weird and clunky in its own way.

(It's also funny remembering how much Tycho and Gabe hated the Xbox at launch, along with the rest of the internet, so naturally they really hated the controller with a passion. :lol: )

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    it's funny, I never had much of a problem with the size of the Duke, it was the weird arrangement of ABXY, and then the black and white buttons that were my beef. They fixed ABXY with the Controller S, but not the black and white buttons until the 360 when they turned them into shoulder buttons

The sideways buttons was a strange design decision to me. I remember struggling with the layout and constantly hitting the wrong button and having a hard time getting to the black and white buttons.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Oh yeah, the Dreamcast controller was a beast too. I never owned one, but my cousin did, and I was never a fan of that controller.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, the Dreamcast controller was a beast too. I never owned one, but my cousin did, and I was never a fan of that controller.

The Dreamcast remains one of the worst ergonomic design in any mainline console controller I can remember. It was designed in a way that your wrists are bent, while holding it, instead of the proper ergonomic design of straight wrists.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

Well enough that a bunch of people argued for keeping it, and are getting their wishes for a version of it on XB1, but that's true for a lot of retired products.

The "Duke" makes more sense if you consider it in the context of the Dreamcast controllers that clearly inspired it (as well as the "S" Controllers/Japanese model). Xbox was taking a lot of guidance from Dreamcast's design, though Sega had the excuse of keeping a window for the VMU screens (even if not all VMU's had screens), but an extra stick and almost twice the buttons. Making it bigger was an easy way to easily account for all of them. I actually preferred it for 3D fighter games over the "S", but I also was used to the DC controller which was weird and clunky in its own way.

(It's also funny remembering how much Tycho and Gabe hated the Xbox at launch, along with the rest of the internet, so naturally they really hated the controller with a passion. :lol: )

215142996_22jgm-1050xoiu68.jpg

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I still laugh at that comic. Also the memory of when Tycho and Gabe very awkwardly began acknowledging people who un-ironically liked Halo might not have some sort of fatal brain disease or tumor.

EDIT: I also just realized for the first time they're sitting on a console (though I guess the controllers are plugged into another console). :lol:

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    1. We should totally have a controller thread.
    2. Goose you the Dreamcast controller is fucking amazing and the pinnacle of technological achievement later scrubs I'm going to go play snake on a memory card now
    3. I still have those memory cards btw.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I agree that the memory card feature was very cool, but the actual controller itself is bonkers big, and why have the wire come out of the bottom instead of the top if you're going to have a clip for it behind the controller?

• Options
    edited January 2018
    There are only two consoles that let you have eight memory units plugged into them simultaneously: the original Xbox, and the Dreamcast.

Now I'm not saying we absolutely need that functionality. I am saying that we, as a species, are weaker without it though. And here I'm thinking of some sort of alien invasion scenario where Jeff Goldblum has to go up to the mothership with a bunch of memory units and an Xbox console (which is still more believable and less monstrous looking than a Powerbook 5300).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I agree that the memory card feature was very cool, but the actual controller itself is bonkers big, and why have the wire come out of the bottom instead of the top if you're going to have a clip for it behind the controller?

Because then after destroying someone in powerstone you couldn't act like you were dropping the controller followed by grabbing it by the cable and spinning it around your head like a helicopter.

duh.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Uh, I guess that whole SNES Classic drought is over?

XZYCabU.jpg

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Everyone that wanted one has to have one at this point, right?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Time to get a third!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Maybe I should buy one and trade it for the Japanese version.

edit: provided that everyone here has one of course.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Amazon Prime Now still shows as in stock for me too.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Uh, I guess that whole SNES Classic drought is over?

XZYCabU.jpg

Now, no one wants one.

I should get a second one and never open it.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    Technically I still want one, but only occasionally participate in this thread, and also haven't tried particularly hard to find it yet. I'm sure I'll just see them at Target one day and pick it up.

• Options
    Leeks wrote: »
    Technically I still want one, but only occasionally participate in this thread, and also haven't tried particularly hard to find it yet. I'm sure I'll just see them at Target one day and pick it up.

Hopefully one of us luckier people will have an extra if you don't find one.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I wonder how the scalpers are doing? Prices definitely look like they've fallen on the Amazon Marketplace and eBay. Maybe this will spook them enough so they'll avoid NES Classics later this year.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    I wonder how the scalpers are doing? Prices definitely look like they've fallen on the Amazon Marketplace and eBay. Maybe this will spook them enough so they'll avoid NES Classics later this year.

I was just thinking the same. This would be great news for the NES Classic.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    SteevL wrote: »

Unlikely, this is just part of the nature of scalping. The idea is to buy 'em up, sell 'em quick, and get out before the demand drops (and it ALWAYS drops once the manufacturer catches up, it's just a matter of how long it takes, with a few minor exceptions like limited run items). This won't deter scalping of future products at all.

edit: As long as there's that window people will scalp. There's no way to stop them other than to make more product than the demand requires from the get-go. It makes no sense to do that from a business stand point, which is why we'll never see it for hot ticket items like the SNESC.

Edit1000: Also, for the scalpers who have been doing this from the start, even if they have inventory left they've likely already made back their investment multiple times over by this point. The units they're selling now are just gravy. It doesn't mean shit to them to sell for close to retail at that point, in fact it benefits them because it clears out space in their inventory.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Also, we're past the holidays. A lot of that rush is over now.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    The NES Classic really doesn't impress me. It feels like I had enough of those games.

I wish there was a collection of the more obscure titles.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The NES Classic really doesn't impress me. It feels like I had enough of those games.

My kingdom for a modern release of Illusion of Gaia and Secret of Evermore.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

These things sell well because of mass market nostalgia. Popular well-known titles are the entire point.

• Options
    I remember going to an NES game contest when I was a kid. They played a bunch of non-mainstream titles and it totally threw me off.

• Options

Yeah, the last time I remember looking at the game list, I think there were maybe like half a dozen games on it at most that -- if I'm being honest with myself -- I could see myself playing for more than 10-15 minutes.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    So I totally bought a chintzy wireless controller that has turbo switches to go with my super nice 8bitdo wireless for two reasons:

1. It didn't feel right not having a chintzy SNES controller with turbo switches on it after playing with the 8bitdo one for awhile. It's like it's trashy cousin was missing.

2. I've already legit finished FFVI 2.99 times. This time I'm gonna abuse the hell out of that raft loop in the beginning.

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »

My kingdom for a modern release of Illusion of Gaia and Secret of Evermore.

The latter is practically guaranteed after I bought it for my wife for Christmas. It worked with EarthBound, anyway.

Speaking of Dreamcast, rumor has it that Retro Bit and SEGA are working on some kind of retro console.

At CES, they already revealed Bluetooth versions of Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast accessories.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    So I totally bought a chintzy wireless controller that has turbo switches to go with my super nice 8bitdo wireless for two reasons:

1. It didn't feel right not having a chintzy SNES controller with turbo switches on it after playing with the 8bitdo one for awhile. It's like it's trashy cousin was missing.

2. I've already legit finished FFVI 2.99 times. This time I'm gonna abuse the hell out of that raft loop in the beginning.

#2 is a bad idea. You are going to seriously gimp your characters if you level up meaningfully before you get the +2 vigor/ magic power per level espers.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    HeraldS wrote: »

#2 is a bad idea. You are going to seriously gimp your characters if you level up meaningfully before you get the +2 vigor/ magic power per level espers.

Yeah. I'd grind up to 11-12 or so just to get that little boost, but don't run the loop all day.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    So my care package from @Betsuni came through (Thank you!!!) and I finally got to try some SNES Classic goodness. So you guys know, I never had a SNES back in the day. That's one of the very few mainstream consoles I missed or skipped (the list is basically Sega Master System, SNES, Saturn, and Wii U). Nintendo is re-release crazy, so I've played a bunch of the classics through GBA, but I still think this is something really nice.

I started with my first game of Star Fox ever, which terminated on Venom against Andross. I kept taking too much damage from the pre-fight, the hoppy boss. The Star Fox team is... impressively useless here. Half the time they're whining that you took the ONE GUY they were trying to kill. The sense of momentum is really cool and I think it plays fairly well, except for the barrel roll which is incredibly slow compared to the one I'm used to.

I followed that up with my first game of Star Fox 2 ever, which was a Normal game clear, C rank (team of Fox + Falco). I... have to question why Andross was a cube of posters of himself? What the heck is that about? Still Star Fox 2 was a really cool game, imo. The real time aspect, 3D dogfighting, transforming ship, and choices of different playable characters are all really cool ideas. I was REALLY impressed that if you attack a battleship when it's charging to shoot Corneria, it actually is visibly charging during your attack. Star Fox 64 is obviously where they realized a lot of their ideas in full, but it's clear how stuff like Zero and Command were attempting to do the same things in a more technologically advanced game.

• Options
    It's a shame the SNES/Super FX chip just didn't quite have the horsepower for Star Fox 1/2. There are some really great design ideas and gameplay squirreled away in games marred by horrible framerate and input delay/eating issues.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It's a shame the SNES/Super FX chip just didn't quite have the horsepower for Star Fox 1/2. There are some really great design ideas and gameplay squirreled away in games marred by horrible framerate and input delay/eating issues.

A bigger shame is Command imo. I played it for 15 minutes and had agonizing hand pain, the worst I've ever had with a handheld game. If they just released it with Star Fox 64 3D controls, it's probably a fun game.