As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XCOM] XCOM 2.5 is XCOPS

• Options
    Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Yeah mind-controlling the Gatekeeper is pretty much what everyone does.

So did I.
    With the avatar. That did not go as planned a few turns later.

Ark Evensong on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

That's the stuff.

Okay the only thing in that video that really caught my eye was that you can attach BALLOONS to shit and float them off the map. Like, what? Is this a new way to collect salvage or objectives?

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular

That's the stuff.

Okay the only thing in that video that really caught my eye was that you can attach BALLOONS to shit and float them off the map. Like, what? Is this a new way to collect salvage or objectives?

They probably really enjoyed using the Fulton balloon on animals and stuff in MGSV and wanted that in XCOM

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    The Lost have yet to lose their sense of joy, and thus will point and 'ooooh' at balloons, but not attack. :lol:

• Options
    The Lost have yet to lose their sense of joy, and thus will point and 'ooooh' at balloons, but not attack. :lol:

I need to get the 99 red baloons cheevo.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    New intel coming in hot*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4z7HT-UJiI
    because flamers hoho

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I wonder if there will be new equipment for XCOM soldiers.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    the new ios will kill off xcom:ew support and 2k wont be updating.

I has a sad.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    :bro:

Mac, the most Ironman of modes

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I wonder if there will be new equipment for XCOM soldiers.

Autopsy on the three types should unlock something. I've seen mention of a disposable mind-meld item from the Priest autopsy.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    So TapCat thinks, after reviewing WotC footage, that Rangers might be getting a crit nerf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uPOKH0ijAk

Basically all of the Ranger shotguns, including the new one you get from killing the Assassin, seem to have the same 10% crit, as opposed to the 15% for the magnetic and 20% for the plasma shotties in vanilla. Same with the swords.

Might be a UI error, but a 10% crit nerf is a pretty big deal at endgame. I'm not sure that Rangers needed nerfing; they are pretty much the definition of high risk, high reward; even if you have a guaranteed crit, you still risk pulling another pod when you run up to flank an enemy.

• Options
    They should also decrease the sword percent chance to hit to 80% to really balance things.

• Options
    (I'm not bitter about swords being too unreliable to use regularly, not at all.)

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    (I'm not bitter about swords being too unreliable to use regularly, not at all.)

Well, that is irritating, but doesn't come close to my frustration when I use Demolition with my Grenadier and nothing happens. That 80% to hit sure doesn't feel like 80%.

• Options
    Okay, does anyone know anything about Hard West?

Stumbled on a YouTube video on it from 2015. Would've been a nice thing to have tided me over until War of the Chosen, maybe. Eh, two more weeks, maybe it still is.

• Options
    epkdnbepkdnb SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Okay, does anyone know anything about Hard West?

Stumbled on a YouTube video on it from 2015. Would've been a nice thing to have tided me over until War of the Chosen, maybe. Eh, two more weeks, maybe it still is.

I've got a few hours into it, and it's enjoyable. It has a few weird hiccups, like being able to use powers before the point in the story where you obtain supernatural powers, but shrug. They do introduce some cool mechanics, like being able to spot and shoot enemies you can't actually see based entirely on their shadow on the ground. I kind of like the build a poker hand with powers system too, and the option to... uhhh... make party members... go away.

It has a few different interweaving stories being told, and makes use of a world map that you move around on. It still felt fairly linear to me, even though I could probably do the missions in any order.

epkdnb on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/268500/announcements/detail/1440442886466647497

More details on bonding and changes to learning skills. Looks pretty cool. I see they also implemented a mild form of the unit exhaustion mechanic from Long War. I like that it encourages you to keep multiple squads, though it also potentially means I can't just make a single superpowered psi op late game, probably need at least 2.

• Options
    Ok, this is pretty interesting as well

https://xcom.com/news/entries/xcom-2-war-of-the-chosen-covert-actions
    It looks like you can build a sort of "deck" of bonuses using various cards from the factions. From the pictures of the UI it looks heavily influenced by the Government system from Civ 6.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    just port wotc to the switch.

please?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    just port wotc to the switch.

please?

Too much competition from Mario

• Options

It looks like you can build a sort of "deck" of bonuses using various cards from the factions. From the pictures of the UI it looks heavily influenced by the Government system from Civ 6.

Quick little clip of this thing here

I think this looks really cool and has the potential to be hilariously OP/be an amazing hook for Mods that add extra cards

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

I think this looks really cool and has the potential to be hilariously OP/be an amazing hook for Mods that add extra cards

This settles it. For XCOM 3, I want them to completely abandon the setting. Earth, alien invasion, all of it, just skip it for the next game. Instead, give me the same genre in a fantasy setting. You start with a human kingdom, defending against a necromancer/diabolist's invasion. Instead of resistance factions, you have to make diplomatic connections with elves, dwarves, fairies, etc. to get soldiers from those races, as well as factional benefits and technologies/magics.

XCOM 4 can be where we take the fight back to the Ethereals, but I need fantasy-COM in my veins.

• Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »

This settles it. For XCOM 3, I want them to completely abandon the setting. Earth, alien invasion, all of it, just skip it for the next game. Instead, give me the same genre in a fantasy setting. You start with a human kingdom, defending against a necromancer/diabolist's invasion. Instead of resistance factions, you have to make diplomatic connections with elves, dwarves, fairies, etc. to get soldiers from those races, as well as factional benefits and technologies/magics.

XCOM 4 can be where we take the fight back to the Ethereals, but I need fantasy-COM in my veins.

It's all I've wanted since Massive Chalice was kind of a letdown

pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Hmm...I wouldn't mind fantasy XCOM.

Firaxis will give Berserkers a 95% cap to hit with axes.

Dragkonias on
  • Options

There are way more 'COMs I want ro see before Generic Fantasy. I mean, there are tons of TBS fantasy games out there already.

I think we need Firaxis to get the Warhammer 40,000 license way more, for example.

Waaaaaaaaagh!COM wuz da boyz' most funnest hope 'gainst dem squishy pink humiez.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I mean Warhammer is basically fantasy with power armor.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I mean Warhammer is basically fantasy with power armor.

Ahem. Those are ELDAR, not elves, thank you very much.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

There are way more 'COMs I want ro see before Generic Fantasy. I mean, there are tons of TBS fantasy games out there already.

I think we need Firaxis to get the Warhammer 40,000 license way more, for example.

Waaaaaaaaagh!COM wuz da boyz' most funnest hope 'gainst dem squishy pink humiez.

Are there, though? The same sort of mixed geoscape + tactical TBS that XCOM specializes in? Because besides Massive Chalice (which was underwhelming), I'm not really aware of any. Hard West is weird west fantasy, but not high fantasy like I'm talking about.

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Jesus christ why did I come here, now I can't stop thinking about the expansion coming out. It's weeks out! Game releases never make me care like this anymore, but xcom man...

The deck bonuses looks insane and something you could create more builds around in the strategy layer, like starting continent in EW. Infiltrate looks insane though, how is that not an auto-include? If you can flip that into effectively 2 turns more time for the objective once the fighting starts its absolutely huge. 15% this or that looks pathetic in comparison, being able to throw soldiers in even if they're wounded also seems really really good considering how much wounds screws you over early game on legendary...

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

Are there, though? The same sort of mixed geoscape + tactical TBS that XCOM specializes in? Because besides Massive Chalice (which was underwhelming), I'm not really aware of any. Hard West is weird west fantasy, but not high fantasy like I'm talking about.

I would argue that Fire Emblem is close enough to the same thing. Turn-based, permadeath, managing items and equipment, improving and developing a team of soldiers. It doesn't have all the "tactical level" stuff but it's plenty deep, especially the newer ones like Awakening.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Nah man, what we NEED is SG1-COM! Replace the sky ranger with a stargate, play through the story of the series as you fight the Goa'uld menace commanding SG teams off-world. It would ROCK!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Nah man, what we NEED is SG1-COM! Replace the sky ranger with a stargate, play through the story of the series as you fight the Goa'uld menace commanding SG teams off-world. It would ROCK!

Still dreaming of a Godzilla/Pacific Rim/General Kaiju fighting themed X-com like game.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    i wonder if theyll have new cosmetic customisation options for the regular soldiers?

I need more dressup!

• Options
    I wonder if there have been rebalances of the core soldier abilities or is the fact you can spend points on multiple skills suppose to make up for lopsided tree choices.

• Options
    I expect there will be a handful of new hats and so on for sure. There will probably be a couple of ability tweaks as well, I think there were some with the previous DLCs but I may be mistaken. There certainly were with Enemy Within for NuXCOM.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »

Still dreaming of a Godzilla/Pacific Rim/General Kaiju fighting themed X-com like game.

Well the FTL guys are working on Into the Breach...

• Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Oh man. I've had that dream too.

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Catalase wrote: »
    Oh man. I've had that dream too.

I was thinking GhostbusterCOM. Start with a squad size of 3, which you can upgrade with money later. The proton pack shots persist until deactivated; each shot lowers a ghost's resistance by a certain amount. Get the resistance low enough to sling a ghost trap out there and don't cross the streams.

If your 'buster gets slimed, he or she is out of action and needs more time between missions on the geoscape to get all the goop out in the shower.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Is there any word on technical improvements to the console versions? Specifically the super long load times that seemed to get way worse as the campaign went on?

• Options
    A general "performance enhancements" note has been mentioned, but nothing concrete either in terms of load times or targeting console performance specifically.

7qmGNt5.png
This discussion has been closed.