Options

[chat]

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Chu's saying because your average person is more likely to shoot themselves than someone else doesn't mean that he specifically is more likely to shoot himself than someone else, and that his specific case is a question we will probably not ever have the data to argue

This is what literally every gun owner says though

Same thing with seat belts

i don't understand why you want to argue about guns in chat

sig.gif
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    All gun owners should wear seatbelts

This ... is true.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    y'all ever shoot a gun in FONV and then the person you pointed it at has all four of their limbs plus their head just pop off

Bloody mess: Great perk or greatest perk?

sig.gif
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Guns are fucking awesome tho but carrying around one shooting people makes you a shitter

ok but what if you carry around one and probably never shoot anyone but if you do it's to prevent someone from severely harming you

still more likely to use that gun on yourself than this someone harming you!

i am never gonna shoot myself. if i ever decide to go i'm gonna pay someone to facesit me to death.

well you might not do it on purpose

the chances of me doing it not on purpose are minuscule. it is one of those things for which there will probably never be statistics granular enough to be interesting. 'everyone, regardless of upbringing or training' is something useful for broad policy. drilling deeper makes it anyone's guess, really.

eh?

what is confusing here

what you mean by more granular statistics

or digging deeper

i mean that we have only have very broad data- this many people commit suicide, this many people kill their spouses, this many people do this or that. this information is very useful in approximating general harm. so you could say, the risk in the aggregate is too high, so let's make guns harder to get or let's make guns altogether illegal. that is the context in which that data is meaningful; this thing introduces too much harm, and is too risky for the average person.

when it comes to an individual's chances or the parameters of their personal circumstances, it's not nearly as meaningful. it's about the best starting point we have but confounding variables like age, upbringing, military service, personal disposition etc make an individual's situation completely incalculable. the data doesn't account for a tremendous gradient of factors that might distance a person from the generalized case study. that is why i'm saying without 'drilled down' data, it's useful for a wide policy position but for an individual can be fuzzed up to the point of uselessness. sort of like BMI. some people have a lot of muscle mass proportional to their bodyweight, so to speak. is it enough to mean a high BMI isn't healthy for them? idk. maybe. the data isn't nuanced enough to say for individual cases.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Chu's saying because your average person is more likely to shoot themselves than someone else doesn't mean that he specifically is more likely to shoot himself than someone else, and that his specific case is a question we will probably not ever have the data to argue

This is what literally every gun owner says though

Same thing with seat belts

i don't understand why you want to argue about guns in chat
    Gotta argue about something.

Might as well be guns.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I'm not anti gun ownership, but I recognize that owning one puts you in more danger than it protects you in a greater than average number of circumstances

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

p much true of every time someone tries to apply a broad trend to an individual

i mean i am not arguing here, except perhaps that the latest comments are trending into uncivil territory and people should not argue guns in chat

just i thought chu's claim was clear and therefore felt qualified to try and explain it a different way since people seemed not to follow

I was supporting your clarification and expanding it cuz the number of times I've seen someone link a study at someone like a broad general trend means they know more about a person than that person themselves in chat is non-trivial

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    It's real easy to not shoot yourself. You just never point the little hole at the end of the long part at yourself.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

All guns should wear seatbelts

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Always fasten your gun's seatbelt

Seat belts save lives

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

i mean i am not arguing here, except perhaps that the latest comments are trending into uncivil territory and people should not argue guns in chat

just i thought chu's claim was clear and therefore felt qualified to try and explain it a different way since people seemed not to follow

I was supporting your clarification and expanding it cuz the number of times I've seen someone link a study at someone like a broad general trend means they know more about a person than that person themselves in chat is non-trivial

I misinterpreted you and for that I am ashamed

sig.gif
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Bogart wrote: »
    Elki Let's play a game of guess the columnist.
    Recently I took a friend with only a high school degree to lunch. Insensitively, I led her into a gourmet sandwich shop. Suddenly I saw her face freeze up as she was confronted with sandwiches named “Padrino” and “Pomodoro” and ingredients like soppressata, capicollo and a striata baguette. I quickly asked her if she wanted to go somewhere else and she anxiously nodded yes and we ate Mexican.

@Bogart yesss.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    It's real easy to not shoot yourself. You just never point the little hole at the end of the long part at yourself.

I believe that falls under rule #1 of gun safety

• Options
    This Gunbelt agenda.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Guns are fucking awesome tho but carrying around one shooting people makes you a shitter

ok but what if you carry around one and probably never shoot anyone but if you do it's to prevent someone from severely harming you

a toddler a week dies from gun accidents and the parent probably thinks their gun is going to only be used to protect their family

thankfully Chu doesn't have a toddler so open up the armory!

i'm not saying anything about whether guns should be available to any group of people or to the population at large. i'm not really a hugely pro-gun person at all. not sure how this relates to what i'm saying.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

I believe that falls under rule #1 of gun safety

#2. #1 is a gun is always loaded.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

I misinterpreted you and for that I am ashamed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R58kSuIhURI

• Options
    edited July 2017

a toddler a week dies from gun accidents and the parent probably thinks their gun is going to only be used to protect their family

i'm not saying anything about whether guns should be available to any group of people or to the population at large. i'm not really a hugely pro-gun person at all. not sure how this relates to what i'm saying.

It doesn't. I'm being a dick because you came adjacent to one of my gear grinding points and I got out the soap box without thinking about it

apologies

this is a sore subject for me what with my best friend being killed by somebody who was quite insistent that he uses his firearms safely so every time anyone makes that claim to disprove their danger I instinctively jump on them whether or not it's appropriate or relevant, and in this case it's neither

override367 on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

i am never gonna shoot myself. if i ever decide to go i'm gonna pay someone to facesit me to death.

well you might not do it on purpose

the chances of me doing it not on purpose are minuscule. it is one of those things for which there will probably never be statistics granular enough to be interesting. 'everyone, regardless of upbringing or training' is something useful for broad policy. drilling deeper makes it anyone's guess, really.

Yea I hate so much that people say "you are more likely to..." when talking about statistics like that.

Someone following all proper safety measures and some drunk dude playing with a gun and his backyard are not the same! One being more likely to cause an accident doesn't make the other ALSO more likely!!

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

This is also solid advice for never pissing on yourself.

sig.gif
  • Options

It doesn't. I'm being a dick because you came adjacent to one of my gear grinding points and I got out the soap box without thinking about it

apologies
    gear grinding points? Is that a sex thing?

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Always fasten your gun's seatbelt

Seat belts save lives

But guns kill people!

• Options
    #3 is you do not talk about gun safety.

#4 is you do not talk about gun safety.

Oh wait those are just the NRA rules, nevermind.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    1. A gun is always loaded
    2. Never point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy
    3. Keep your booger hook off the bang stick

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    zepherin wrote: »

apologies
    gear grinding points? Is that a sex thing?

I mean

it can be

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »

Never point your penis at a person or animal you do not intend to destroy

• Options
    now that I am done defending chu I will go on record as hating guns and wanting them all abolished everywhere for all time

but since that's never happening I don't mind that responsible people like chu and matt have them

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    HerrCron wrote: »

Never point your penis at a person or animal you do not intend to destroy

uh oh

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular

My only response to that would be that I would find it terrifying to live in a place where that's a considerable possibility

But I know that's just privilege talking, so I can't really judge

The hard part for narwhal's is finding gun manufacturers who make guns small enough for them to carry.

Excuse me, we average 4 to 5 meters in length, sir.

It's the lack of appropriate extremity to hold the gun / pull the trigger that does us in :P

2009-06-0214p70.jpg

how is Dr. McNinja these days?

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

It seems to follow that all seatbelts should have guns, but then I thought what if seatguns had belts, anime-style

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Dynagrip wrote: »

My only response to that would be that I would find it terrifying to live in a place where that's a considerable possibility

But I know that's just privilege talking, so I can't really judge

The hard part for narwhal's is finding gun manufacturers who make guns small enough for them to carry.

Excuse me, we average 4 to 5 meters in length, sir.

It's the lack of appropriate extremity to hold the gun / pull the trigger that does us in :P

2009-06-0214p70.jpg

how is Dr. McNinja these days?

Concluded :(

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Illegal Foreign Coup for President 2016

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    my rights dont end where your feelings begin

these colors dont run

dont tread on me

come and take it

etc etc

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Elki Let's play a game of guess the columnist.
    Recently I took a friend with only a high school degree to lunch. Insensitively, I led her into a gourmet sandwich shop. Suddenly I saw her face freeze up as she was confronted with sandwiches named “Padrino” and “Pomodoro” and ingredients like soppressata, capicollo and a striata baguette. I quickly asked her if she wanted to go somewhere else and she anxiously nodded yes and we ate Mexican.

Bogart yesss.

is this the same person that was whining about the fall of civilization because a friend flaked on them?

• Options
    brb opening a rug store called "Tread on Me"

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

It seems to follow that all seatbelts should have guns, but then I thought what if seatguns had belts, anime-style

what if we make all cars guns

• Options

be sure of your target and what is beyond your target

919UOwT.png
  • Options

do guncars shoot cars or bullets

(or guns?)

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Judging by how most people park already, a lot of misfires?

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

The basic rules of the range.

You know that old 90210 episode where the guy accidentally shoots himself with a gun because he's playing with it like a moron.

That scene always stuck with me because i saw it as a small child, and just cringed at how dumb the kid was. Like even at that age I was just sitting there like, "whelp this kid's gunna [bang] yep there it is. Did no one teach that kid how to handle or respect a gun, wtf?!"

This discussion has been closed.