Options

[chat]

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Guns are fucking awesome tho but carrying around one shooting people makes you a shitter

ok but what if you carry around one and probably never shoot anyone but if you do it's to prevent someone from severely harming you

still more likely to use that gun on yourself than this someone harming you!

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    A buddy of mine went JAG in the Army and posted on FB recently his target from the range

He's kind enough to post, too:

Q. Tell a joke
    A. JAG Officers at the range

True to form, it was like a 3 inch group on a 25-meter zeroing target. C'mon.

For people who aren't familiar with the military or what is a good grouping, this is entirely opaque.

who hasn't seen JAG

come on

Gee idk Abdy this is all very confusing and I missed this show that ran for 10 years and spawned a dozen spinnoffs so I'm missing the necessary cultural context

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Guns are fucking awesome tho but carrying around one shooting people makes you a shitter

ok but what if you carry around one and probably never shoot anyone but if you do it's to prevent someone from severely harming you
    You're almost a shitter

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

i am never gonna shoot myself. if i ever decide to go i'm gonna pay someone to facesit me to death.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

My only response to that would be that I would find it terrifying to live in a place where that's a considerable possibility

But I know that's just privilege talking, so I can't really judge

The hard part for narwhal's is finding gun manufacturers who make guns small enough for them to carry.

• Options
    edited July 2017

i am never gonna shoot myself. if i ever decide to go i'm gonna pay someone to facesit me to death.

well you might not do it on purpose

EDIT: both scenarios

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    if i ever decide to go i'm gonna pay someone to facesit me to death.

*nods, updates living will*

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

well you might not do it on porpoise.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    It's an interesting public health argument

I'd even be okay with an argument against banning handguns on that basis

My issue is people conflate the public health argument with a positive rights argument all the time, half of it in bad faith

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    This episode got weird

• Options

the chances of me doing it not on purpose are minuscule. it is one of those things for which there will probably never be statistics granular enough to be interesting. 'everyone, regardless of upbringing or training' is something useful for broad policy. drilling deeper makes it anyone's guess, really.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

My only response to that would be that I would find it terrifying to live in a place where that's a considerable possibility

The hard part for narwhal's is finding gun manufacturers who make guns small enough for them to carry.

Excuse me, we average 4 to 5 meters in length, sir.

It's the lack of appropriate extremity to hold the gun / pull the trigger that does us in :P

• Options
    also until i shoot myself i have still drawn once and am thus infinitely more successful than not in carriage of a gun

like a grizzled beat cop, i'm all about results (and dehumanizing minorities)

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    y'all ever shoot a gun in FONV and then the person you pointed it at has all four of their limbs plus their head just pop off

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options

the chances of me doing it not on purpose are minuscule. it is one of those things for which there will probably never be statistics granular enough to be interesting. 'everyone, regardless of upbringing or training' is something useful for broad policy. drilling deeper makes it anyone's guess, really.

eh?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    y'all ever shoot a gun in FONV and then the person you pointed it at has all four of their limbs plus their head just pop off

that ain't no bug

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

It's the lack of appropriate extremity to hold the gun / pull the trigger that does us in :P

2009-06-0214p70.jpg

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Bullets are like little tiny solid rockets

Which I find intriguing

1m1x6v3ylcp5.jpg

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Ye-

Oh, in FONV?

Then no.

• Options

eh?

what is confusing here

• Options

that ain't no bug

Yeah, that happens in real life if you hit the person hard enough

Seen it in football a couple times, hockey too

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Dr Mcninja

• Options

eh?

what is confusing here

what you mean by more granular statistics

or digging deeper

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    If they ever did Fallout: New Zealand the acronym would be FONZ.

ayyyyyyyyyyy

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    This episode got weird

Things are gonna get weird, Apothe0sis.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

eh?

what is confusing here
    your use of granular

edit: Abdhyius beat me to it

zepherin on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    zepherin wrote: »

eh?

what is confusing here
    your use of granular

I could go for a bowl of granular with milk and fruit

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular

7wto6q6g801j.jpg

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Chu's saying because your average person is more likely to shoot themselves than someone else doesn't mean that he specifically is more likely to shoot himself than someone else, and that his specific case is a question we will probably not ever have the data to argue

sig.gif
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

a toddler a week dies from gun accidents and the parent probably thinks their gun is going to only be used to protect their family

thankfully Chu doesn't have a toddler so open up the armory!

override367 on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    If they ever did Fallout: New Zealand the acronym would be FONZ.

ayyyyyyyyyyy

Ehhhhhhh, sit on it!

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Chu's saying because your average person is more likely to shoot themselves than someone else doesn't mean that he specifically is more likely to shoot himself than someone else, and that his specific case is a question we will probably not ever have the data to argue

p much true of every time someone tries to apply a broad trend to an individual

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

This is what literally every gun owner says though

Same thing with seat belts

override367 on
  • Options
    What if the threat they are protecting their family from is the toddler

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    my work-related motivation has just cratered these past couple of weeks

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

p much true of every time someone tries to apply a broad trend to an individual

i mean i am not arguing here, except perhaps that the latest comments are trending into uncivil territory and people should not argue guns in chat

just i thought chu's claim was clear and therefore felt qualified to try and explain it a different way since people seemed not to follow

sig.gif
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

a toddler a week dies from gun accidents and the parent probably thinks their gun is going to only be used to protect their family

I find that claim suspect.

Because we made it illegal to study it.

MURICA

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

bruh

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    All gun owners should wear seatbelts

This discussion has been closed.