Options

Tabata out at SQuenix. [Final Fantasy] XV development to end prematurely (finally?).

• Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    My dream has always been Kingdom Hearts but actually Final Fantasy. Heck that's what I thought Versus 13 was going to be and why it was like the game I was most excited for. Sounded like my perfect dream game come true. But I think it would be better for them to shoot for a back to classics style considering everything they've been going through. Get some good faith back from the fans before doing anything too crazy again.

That's what I thought FFXV was going to be. That both of those battle systems could come out of the same company is confusing. I just really did not enjoy XV's core combat at all. The fact that fighting things felt like a chore really hurt it in my opinion.

Going forward, I wouldn't mind if they kept the pseudo fantasy sci fi settings, but I want them to explore those settings. Part of the fun playing these games has always been exploring cool, weird worlds. I don't need it to be an entire world, but what's presented has to be interesting. That's the best part of the road trip premise to me.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    The KH battle system is honestly one of my favorite character action systems of all time.

I don’t understand why they couldn’t have just copied that perfectly onto FFXV, which looked to be the case during the Versus stint.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The KH battle system is honestly one of my favorite character action systems of all time.

I don’t understand why they couldn’t have just copied that perfectly onto FFXV, which looked to be the case during the Versus stint.

Same here. It's seriously just so damn fun to be playing.

Like KH2 is one of those games where I grinded out to max level just because fighting things was just so entertaining.

I'm just really hoping they kept that magic with KH3. If II.8 is any indication it seems like they're doing well though.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular

Because re-inventing the wheel is what SquareEnix does best with the FF franchise.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    I would also argue that two of the biggest games being played right now are PUBG and Fortnite. And neither one could look further different than the other.

They both use realistic proportions. And I think deviating from that is *the* big deal-breaker for Western audiences.

What do FFIX and World of Final Fantasy have in common? They both were a little bit chibi.

I think if you want to do unrealistic proportions, you need to go all the way back to using sprites (like Octopath) to avoid western fan backlash. And even that game had realistic proportioned concept art for each character, so you had something "realistic" to anchor in your mind when you played.

Hell, you can't even stretch proportions in the other way - I remember a ton of people thinking Bayonetta was "weird" because her legs were too long.

• Options
    Waveform wrote: »
    I would also argue that two of the biggest games being played right now are PUBG and Fortnite. And neither one could look further different than the other.

They both use realistic proportions. And I think deviating from that is *the* big deal-breaker for Western audiences.

Case in point: the massive amount of shit people are giving the Pokemon Let’s Go games.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Please don't copy X's battle system. It was the worst battle system they made since FF2.

Fuckin...what??
    X combat had a lot of pointless busywork. Swapping out characters every turn because of experience sharing rather than actually needing them, or rote "only one person can effectively damage this monster type" stuff that doesn't involve actual thought. Also, physical characters have very little to do. Debuffs and status effects are better than usual, to be fair, but there isn't much you can do to increase their damage beyond "mash attack every turn", whether you're fighting a trivial random encounter or a dangerous boss.

It's not a war crime or anything, but I found it more clunky than interesting.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Please don't copy X's battle system. It was the worst battle system they made since FF2.

Fuckin...what??
    X combat had a lot of pointless busywork. Swapping out characters every turn because of experience sharing rather than actually needing them, or rote "only one person can effectively damage this monster type" stuff that doesn't involve actual thought. Also, physical characters have very little to do. Debuffs and status effects are better than usual, to be fair, but there isn't much you can do to increase their damage beyond "mash attack every turn", whether you're fighting a trivial random encounter or a dangerous boss.

Definitely agree that having to swap people out to get them to get XP is annoying. Better than earlier systems where they just couldn't get xp, but still annoying. I just want everyone in my party to gain xp, is that really so difficult?

I mean, I guess so, because no games do it. But still.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    I just hate any game where dead party members don’t gain exp. Fuck outta here with that.

I’m willing to go halfway on reduced exp.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018

Fuckin...what??

There's room for quality of life improvements with the exp thing, but I'm definitely more partial to characters having roles and debuffs being worthwhile than just "figure out how to get everyone to hit as hard as possible." You got Tidus's timey-wimey powers, Auron's breaking and tanking, Rikku's thieving and ability to do support/healing/damage as needed off items and Wakka's...

Okay, Wakka just sucks. Buff Wakka.

But it being turn-based lets me forgive a lot. It's also not VIII which I'd rate as worst intentionally bad battle system (IE without taking bugs and stuff into account)

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Fuckin...what??

There's room for quality of life improvements with the exp thing, but I'm definitely more partial to characters having roles and debuffs being worthwhile than just "figure out how to get everyone to hit as hard as possible." You got Tidus's timey-wimey powers, Auron's breaking and tanking, Rikku's thieving and ability to do support/healing/damage as needed off items and Wakka's...

Okay, Wakka just sucks. Buff Wakka.

But it being turn-based lets me forgive a lot. It's also not VIII which I'd rate as worst intentionally bad battle system (IE without taking bugs and stuff into account)

Last I checked Wakka was considered one of the strongest characters postgame.

Well, at the point where the only thing that matters is people's overlimits because everyone has most of the sphere grid.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Yea I was intentionally going off main-game scenarios and not "lol everyone's god now"

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I’m really bummed by the cancellation of the XV content

Kinda wanted that game to just keep going forever

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    If nothing else, I hope Squeenix takes a look at everything they did with FFXV and has the sense to never do any of it again.

Taking forever on a game because they keep repurposing and redoing it, holding a release date party, delaying the game past that release date to make it 'complete' (when it is anything but), having a season pass for additional content that is basically just content cut from the game itself, spreading the story over a game, a movie, an anime series and who knows what the fuck else, releasing another version of the game that's supposed to be the 'Full' version (because it has all the DLC from the Season Pass) and then announcing new DLC after that...

The game wasn't even half of FFXV's problems. Which is sad when XV had a lot of problems in itself. Squeenix just mismanaged it on just about every single conceivable level because they wanted to wring every single cent out of it that they could, not realizing that pumping more money into all this extra stuff wasn't going to get them anywhere near a proper return. It's chasing after pennies with dollars and they need to learn 100% that it's never, ever going to work.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    The big takeaway is that "a company did it first". It's not just going to be SquareEnix learning from their own mistakes, but every other big developer, Western, European or Japanese, that will look at XV and think "Yeah, let's not release a half-finished game, with intentional DLC to make it complete, and load the marketing up with animated shorts, a full CGI movie, licensed official songs and two mobile ports that went nowhere."

I'm talking about King's Knight and Justice Monsters V. Pocket XV seems to actually be doing okay? And that other less-chibi, more war-like game?

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    The DLC cancellation announcement didn't mention the full mod creation toolkit they'd promised was coming for the PC version of FFXV. Guessing that's probably dead in the water, too. :(

It's a shame, I was kinda hoping that FFXV would become the Final Fantasy equivalent of an Elder Scrolls game, with a mod for everything and tons of player-created quests and locations. And fully functional golf courses.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I just started the game about a week ago, and you're making me nervous. For now, I'm enjoying it, but I'm only up to Chapter 3 so far. Mind you, I despised Final Fantasy 13, so my expectations were conveniently low, but now that I'm having fun, it's going up again.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Spend as long as you can in Chapter 3! Don't go rushing the main quest, cause the heart and soul of the game is that early stuff IMO

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    If nothing else, I hope Squeenix takes a look at everything they did with FFXV and has the sense to never do any of it again.

Taking forever on a game because they keep repurposing and redoing it, holding a release date party, delaying the game past that release date to make it 'complete' (when it is anything but), having a season pass for additional content that is basically just content cut from the game itself, spreading the story over a game, a movie, an anime series and who knows what the fuck else, releasing another version of the game that's supposed to be the 'Full' version (because it has all the DLC from the Season Pass) and then announcing new DLC after that...

The game wasn't even half of FFXV's problems. Which is sad when XV had a lot of problems in itself. Squeenix just mismanaged it on just about every single conceivable level because they wanted to wring every single cent out of it that they could, not realizing that pumping more money into all this extra stuff wasn't going to get them anywhere near a proper return. It's chasing after pennies with dollars and they need to learn 100% that it's never, ever going to work.

I mean, when you lay it out like that, it kind of just looks like they were desperately trying to salvage what was going to be a failed project. The first point is at odds with the rest. The game had taken for fucking ever and they still had all these things to work on. The DLC parts. The missing story. Issues that if they wouldn't be ironed out would be unacceptable.

If anything, it looks like all that stuff was someone FINALLY taking some creative direction to get a fucking game out the door. It sucks, but the alternative really would have been wait 1-2 more years (of zero money return on something that was trying to take up like all their dev power) or scrap something that they sunk all their money into.

Personally I don't agree with the whole concept of a big ass fucking game that has to take ALL the freaking years to make and eat up huge budget and manpower. I never felt like those are all that much better than a short dev time, well thought out experience. Sometimes, they are even worse. Just make a damn GAME and give up on the world shocking ultimate cinematic experience.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    So which game do I have to own for this? This trailer doesn't really make it clear. (I've never even so much as touched 14.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSxwvRSB-AY

I'm going to assume it's either DLC or a patch for 15?

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    So which game do I have to own for this? This trailer doesn't really make it clear. (I've never even so much as touched 14.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSxwvRSB-AY

I'm going to assume it's either DLC or a patch for 15?

Looks like a free update for 15.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Fuckin...what??

Man, I never switched characters in that game. I feel like people used that feature so much because it felt like it was more important than it really was. It was super cool if you like using all the characters. But I HATE using all the characters in games. So I didn't. And it played perfectly fine.
    I’m really bummed by the cancellation of the XV content

Kinda wanted that game to just keep going forever

I would be super happy if that trend of keeping single players games going with small morsels of DLC just went away for good.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I just started the game about a week ago, and you're making me nervous. For now, I'm enjoying it, but I'm only up to Chapter 3 so far. Mind you, I despised Final Fantasy 13, so my expectations were conveniently low, but now that I'm having fun, it's going up again.

Just play the game. You'll see that there are a lot of folk who love it and a lot of folk who hate FFXV.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    I don't mind supplementary DLC like some of the stuff that comes with pre-orders, like the Dragon Quest XI stuff (some skill seeds, and a couple of accessories that give you a nice boost at the start, but don't break the game).

The best is when DLC comes for free as a later update. Devs literally expanding the game at no expense to the consumer, and you get to play a little extra something for a couple of hours.

Season pass type DLC that promises 2-4 extra missions/quests/episodes or something, like XV, while great, are obviously a bit flawed if something causes the cancellation of the remaining DLC and then you never get to experience it. It's also usually priced at 1/3rd of the game's original price, for a pittance of content that doesn't take nearly as long to complete.

• Options

If you're having fun you're having fun. Don't let other people's opinions sway how you feel about a game. Just enjoy the ride for what it is.

• Options
    @DemonStacey I just read Jason Schreier's tweet and I think I'm heading into this camp too. I mean, for example XB2. Man do I LOVE that game. But I just can't keep up with all the updates. A year ago I would've said gimme all that DLC but I don't know if single player RPGs lend themselves well to this practice.

Then again, I see how many hours I've put into MP focused games with DLC and FFRK and I dunno.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

Just play the game. You'll see that there are a lot of folk who love it and a lot of folk who hate FFXV.

I'm one of the biggest anti-XV posters here at PA and I will admit there's still stuff to like in the game. The beginning first few chapters are definitely the strongest part of the game. Everyone pretty much universally agrees on that.

The best advice I can give is to savor the game as long as you can without pushing the story. Do all the hunts, fishing, exploring, side crap, chocobo racing, everything you can while the game is still young.

• Options
    Also, make sure you camp a lot. There are little bits of story and character moments that happen at camp. When the game was new and everyone was playing it at the same time, I saw quite a number of people who missed some really cool character beats because they never camped.

Do yourself a favor and camp. Camp at different campsites too. Some of the character beats are location specific.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    DemonStacey I just read Jason Schreier's tweet and I think I'm heading into this camp too. I mean, for example XB2. Man do I LOVE that game. But I just can't keep up with all the updates. A year ago I would've said gimme all that DLC but I don't know if single player RPGs lend themselves well to this practice.

Then again, I see how many hours I've put into MP focused games with DLC and FFRK and I dunno.

Yea one of my biggest things is it's so frequently just a handful of hours worth of content at a time. So it's this massive world that I spent many hours playing through originally, getting immersed in the world and seeing the story come to a conclusion(hopefully..)

And then months later I'm supposed to come back for a little play session and... I'm just never going to get back into that level of immersion at that point. I just feel like I'm playing a game in this world I was so in love with before. And it just doesn't feel right. Whatever the emotional ride of the story was came to it's conclusion. It's been so long I'd need time to get back into the swing of things and that's just not going to happen in a little bite sized DLC thing. I just want to play a new game. Get immersed with something new and a new group of characters to learn about and become attached to.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Also, make sure you camp a lot. There are little bits of story and character moments that happen at camp. When the game was new and everyone was playing it at the same time, I saw quite a number of people who missed some really cool character beats because they never camped.

Do yourself a favor and camp. Camp at different campsites too. Some of the character beats are location specific.

The worst part of this advice is (from a power gamer's perspective) it's counter-intuitive. Your XP gets a multiplier based on where you sleep! Campsites are basic bitch 1.0x XP, but just over there's a fancy 3.0 XP hotel, cmoooon you know you wanna~

Turns that "Don't actually gain XP when resting" accessory into a necessity for seeing content.

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I can't figure out why I find fighting anything in Kingdom Hearts (though 2 is a significant improvement) to be such a weary chore but I actually like combat in XV. I'm really not good at either of them.

Maybe it has to do with having only played KH on the Playstation 2, and a decade-older controller response times (and the controller itself). This is what I'm dreading about KH3...I will buy that game, but I'm afraid every combat engagement is going to make me want to give up. Every time I have to go run to a corner to kill one last Heartless, then run to another corner because that's where it teleported.

I'm really terrible at those games. I should probably hope KH3 has an 'absurdly easy' setting and sleepwalk through all the combat, because I don't want to end up giving up like I invariably did in the last two.

I'm kind of sad about the DLC cancellation, especially the Aranea episode--but I also still really enjoy XV (I've got more than a hundred hours in it, and just go to chapter 10 fairly recently). Well, it's not like there isn't an absurd amount of content without them.

• Options

The worst part of this advice is (from a power gamer's perspective) it's counter-intuitive. Your XP gets a multiplier based on where you sleep! Campsites are basic bitch 1.0x XP, but just over there's a fancy 3.0 XP hotel, cmoooon you know you wanna~

Turns that "Don't actually gain XP when resting" accessory into a necessity for seeing content.

You get so much damn XP you don't need those multipliers at all and getting them will just overlevel you like crazy.

Like I never used the multipliers through normal play until late game where I just wanted to be max level and did so in basically no time at all. It really doesn't matter to be missing them unless you are actually having a hard time with the content and need extra levels to get through it. You can basically just hit max level at will later game when you so desire so even from the perspective of making your characters gods using the xp multipliers isn't important at all.

• Options

You get so much damn XP you don't need those multipliers at all and getting them will just overlevel you like crazy.

Like I never used the multipliers through normal play until late game where I just wanted to be max level and did so in basically no time at all. It really doesn't matter to be missing them unless you are actually having a hard time with the content and need extra levels to get through it. You can basically just hit max level at will later game when you so desire so even from the perspective of making your characters gods using the xp multipliers isn't important at all.

BUT I COULD GET DOUBLE XP! IT'S THROWING XP AWAY STACEY

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options

Yeah, I never found myself short of XP, though I also spent way too much time on side quests and I don't think the game scales for that.

I'm also bad enough at the combat that occasionally a monster battle 20 levels beneath me will surprise me or something. That's no the XP pool's fault, that's mine.

• Options
    XV actually felt to me like enemies were difficult based on type, not level. Like, one of those Yojimbo things will mess you up even if you have a 20 level advantage. Or the coerls. Man those things were nasty, no matter the level. And red giants.

Basically, I think Enemy Type > Level for difficulty.

• Options
    Probably. I barely understand the math going on behind the scenes (shit, I don't think I've looked at the spheregrid skill table for multiple chapters, fuck).

I'm also absurdly tight-pursed in the game, I can't convince myself to spend 5000 gil to get an extra 10% XP for the night.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

And some of us loved and hated it in equal measure.

It is evocative of FFX-2 (a game I have similarly mixed feelings about) both in terms of overall story structure and also how experimental it is.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Conveniently, I liked FFX-2 more than X almost immediately for the change in mechanics (I would like X more if it had X-2's straightforward skill acquisition and ATB combat), even before I knew anything about either games plot.

The intentional goofiness of X-2's plot has held up better, in my mind, than the unintentional goofiness of X's plot, but I'd say that was more contestable.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    XIII lowered the bar for FF games so much that I really rather enjoyed XV and will probably really enjoy at least the next two FF games before my expectations are ever raised again.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    @Synthesis man the thing I hate about KH2 is that you have to play on Critical to see how deep the battle system really is. Before Dark Souls/Bloodborne, I would've said KH2 was my favorite ARPG battle system.The game design never fully takes advantage of its battle system and you can get away with just mashing Attack and the QTE button.