As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Russia/Trump investigation: Mueller has convened a grand jury

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I get well over 200 emails a day and I'm a software engineer, not a real estate tycoon slash campaign advisor slash money laundry. I'm kind of astounded he gets so few unless he has staff who specifically filter his emails for him.

Who exactly, in Trump's mind, is beleaguering Sessions? The media? Because I feel like in recent history Sessions' biggest beleaguerer is Trump himself.

Also I desperately wish there were someone who could go lean into the Oval after Trump drops one of these piles of shit on twitter and yell the answer at him. "Because you made most of them up in your fat head and they're a little bit busy with INVESTIGATING THE SITTING PRESIDENT FOR ESPIONAGE, YOU ORANGE FUCK."

Bonus points for this being Putin.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Ugh gross

​Exclusive: Trump ponders Rudy Giuliani for attorney general

President Trump is so unhappy with Attorney General Jeff Sessions that he has raised the possibility of bringing back Rudolph Giuliani to head the Justice Department, according to West Wing confidants.

On the one hand, anyone is better than Sessions when it comes to actually being Attorney General.

On the other hand, Sessions is recused from the Russia investigation, so as long as he is where he is it's a little bit harder for Trump to torpedo Mueller.

On the gripping hand, fuck all these people, they're traitorous monsters.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    A gullianni confirmation is gonna be rough. And they won't have Senate commity rules to protect him.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    But wouldn't he be the "acting AG" if Sessions quits and Trump gets to appoint someone new?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Yeah all Republicans would need to do is just not hold a vote and keep "Acting" AG forever. I'm sure Republicans can continue not finding their spines long enough for that.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    But wouldn't he be the "acting AG" if Sessions quits and Trump gets to appoint someone new?

I thought the deputy AG became Acting AG if the actual AG quits/gets fired? And then because Trump hasn't bothered appointing anyone to half the government, the next person down was some guy from NC?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    There's somebody already in a junior AG position though, right?

How much of a baby is Trump that he's considering replacing Sessions because Sessions (albeit for the wrong reasons) did the right thing for the Russia investigation? I mean he is hurting right now for people who will show integrity on the job and in his head he's considering it a liability.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

No, there is actually a defined order for AG.

It goes:
    AG
    Deputy AG
    Associate AG
    US Attorney for Eastern Virgina
    USA for Northern Illinois
    USA for Western Missouri

Edit: corrected list

JoeUser on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    There's somebody already in a junior AG position though, right?

How much of a baby is Trump that he's considering replacing Sessions because Sessions (albeit for the wrong reasons) did the right thing for the Russia investigation? I mean he is hurting right now for people who will show integrity on the job and in his head he's considering it a liability.

A lot. This is Trump doubling down, so things are about to get nasty.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

It goes:
    AG
    Deputy AG
    Associate AG
    US Attorney for DC

Wait... What?

You can't be serious...

Why would my state be in that line?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Can the acting AG be anyone or does it have to be an internal promotion?

Kushner trying to use ignorance is a bold strategy. Let's see how it plays out.

And what's this about Junior and Manafort needing subpoenas? Did they say they aren't going to show up? Why would you announce that this far out?

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    There's a defined order for the office of government ethics as well, but after Shaub resigned, they skipped the next person in line and picked someone that instantly signed off on Kushner and Ivankas new financial disclosures without issue.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

He clearly doesn't want people with integrity because everyone with integrity is sniffing like a bloodhound in pursuit of ... something... that he doesn't want found out.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

It goes:
    AG
    Deputy AG
    Associate AG
    USA for Western Missouri

That's how Yates ended up in the position, correct?

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

And what's this about Junior and Manafort needing subpoenas? Did they say they aren't going to show up? Why would you announce that this far out?

My reading of that statement was that they were expected to show up already and didn't. I thought their testimony wasn't until sometime this week but maybe I was wrong?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

The closed hearings are happening today, I think? Kushner is already in the building. I don't think it was announced 'this far out'

Burtletoy on
  • Options

It goes:
    AG
    Deputy AG
    Associate AG
    USA for Western Missouri

That's how Yates ended up in the position, correct?

Yep! She was Deputy AG when Troump took office. The Associate AG left before that, so the US Attorney for Eastern Virginia became acting AG.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/24/kushner-defends-himself-ahead-of-senate-intel-meeting-i-did-not-collude-240870
    Instead, Kushner paints a picture of himself as a loyal, overworked, under-experienced senior adviser to his father-in-law during a novice campaign that was never staffed up to win.
    “I am not a person who has sought the spotlight,” Kushner says in his opening statement, according to a copy provided to POLITICO. But he explains that after Trump clinched the Republican nomination, his father-in-law asked Kushner to be the point of contact for foreign governments, and he was in touch with emissaries from 15 different countries, including Russia. To put his hectic life and schedule into context — and explain away his presence at a meeting where a Russian lawyer was hawking opposition research about Hillary Clinton — he also writes that he typically received about 200 emails a day during the campaign, and often didn’t read through every exchange.

In his opening testimony, he walks through each of his four meetings with the Russians, downplaying all of them to brief, pro forma interactions that lead to no follow-ups.
    200 emails a day really is not amazing.

Nope. Plus he had staff to help with it. Plus the goddamn subject line was: "Russia - Clinton - private and confidential"

Maybe he'd have more time to read his emails if he didn't apparently take meetings with everyone that emailed him?

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Ugh gross

​Exclusive: Trump ponders Rudy Giuliani for attorney general

President Trump is so unhappy with Attorney General Jeff Sessions that he has raised the possibility of bringing back Rudolph Giuliani to head the Justice Department, according to West Wing confidants.
    Eventually Trump is gonna run out of people that shoveled shit for him during the campaign.

Won't ever run out. There will always be Christie. He's the dwarf bread of the Trump campaign staff.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »

The closed hearings are happening today, I think? Kushner is already in the building. I don't think it was announced 'this far out'

Ah. Was thinking midweek for their appearances.

• Options
    MSNBC producer, Senator Wyden's statement;

"He lies, and we all know he lies. Let's at least make him lie in public."

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    "To finance my business activities in the private sector" fucking reeks of slippery lawyer double talk.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    "To finance my business activities in the private sector" fucking reeks of slippery lawyer double talk.

To finance my business activities in the private sector

So many different interpretations!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Kushner is done and just left his closed door meeting.

Ostensibly he's off to the WH to report what's up, but there's a Kushner speech scheduled on the WH lawns coming up.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »

He also stated firmly that there were no other meetings. Which basically means we'll find out about another secret meeting any time now.

"Well yeah baby I guess there was one other time, but you were out of the state that doesn't count."

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »

He also stated firmly that there were no other meetings. Which basically means we'll find out about another secret meeting any time now.

"Well yeah baby I guess there was one other time, but you were out of the state that doesn't count."

Secret meetings with Russians? Oh no, the people I met with were from Far Northern Kazakhstan and Deep Southern Finland.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Folks, it's cool, Kushy doesn't rely on Russian funds.

• Options
    I found the worst possible take

Jason Chaffetz: Why is Congress questioning Jared Kushner — and not Chelsea Clinton for Benghazi?

“So every time a Democrat says ‘I gotta talk to Donald Trump Jr.,’ then go up and bring Chelsea Clinton in there,” Chaffetz continued, “because she was involved in the Benghazi situation, she was involved with the (Clinton) Foundation.”

Chaffetz is now a Fox News contributor after resigning from the House, where he held a million hearings on Benghazi.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure someone dared or wagered him to use "Chelsea Clinton" and "Benghazi" in the same sentence on the air.

• Options
    I wonder what Republicans are meant to think Benghazi actually was. Because in the real world, it was a snafu with some diplomats getting killed in a war zone due to insufficient security. But in their minds, it seems to be the grandest conspiracy in history.

In real life, Chelsea Clinton was working as a TV presenter in the year Benghazi happened, and exactly what do they think she did in a country that she's never been to? (But that's the conspiracy, right? They *want* us to believe she's never been there.)

• Options
    Kushner is giving/going to give an address on the WH lawn about his meeting with the commitee.

NYT Political reporter;

So, yeah. I'm pretty sure this is literally unprecedented.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    The Jason Chaffetz career path: Multilevel marketing/pyramid scheme shitlord > Congressman (a role he skipped out on early no less) > Paid to air his hate boner for the Clintons by perpetually blathering about Benghazi and HER EMAILS.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Kushner is giving/going to give an address on the WH lawn about his meeting with the commitee.

NYT Political reporter;

Wow....

Talk about fucking ego

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Folks, it's cool, Kushy doesn't rely on Russian funds.

This. Makes no assertion about whether he accepted them. I mean he could have received funds from elsewhere it just happens to be he got them from Russia

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »

NYT Political reporter;

Wow....

Talk about fucking ego

That's not really a Kushner thing, though. He never makes statements and he doesn't appear to like public speaking. Wonder if he's going to resign?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I know Chaffetz is an asshole but his line of bullshit doesn't even make any fucking sense its literally just shouting a clinton name and assuming that's enough.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

Jason Chaffetz: Why is Congress questioning Jared Kushner — and not Chelsea Clinton for Benghazi?

“So every time a Democrat says ‘I gotta talk to Donald Trump Jr.,’ then go up and bring Chelsea Clinton in there,” Chaffetz continued, “because she was involved in the Benghazi situation, she was involved with the (Clinton) Foundation.”

Chaffetz is now a Fox News contributor after resigning from the House, where he held a million hearings on Benghazi.

Ok, fuck everything about this.

• Options
    DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

Ok, fuck everything about this.

From the guy who is resigning because he had pinned his hopes on a career investigating Hillary

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I know Chaffetz is an asshole but his line of bullshit doesn't even make any fucking sense its literally just shouting a clinton name and assuming that's enough.

To be fair, it has been enough in the past. Unfortunately, I don't think any of them realize, to paraphrase Nixon, that they don't have Clinton to kick around anymore.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

To be fair, it has been enough in the past. Unfortunately, I don't think any of them realize, to paraphrase Nixon, that they don't have Clinton to kick around anymore.

It's just a completely nonesense thing though. Like there is no there there. There was never any indication Chelsea had anything to do with benghazi, there was never any fucking proof clinton did either. So its not even false equivalence its just insane "CLINTON CLINTON CLINTON!"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.