As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies]: Watch the Final Cut version. Paddington still better.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i thought in general that PG-13 movies make a lot more (on average) than R movies? Logically, removing things to make the movie get a lower rating would increase the odds of profitability?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    They do (or should based on audience size potential alone) but it's easier to cut out some dude getting his arm cut off than it is to trim a 5 minute sequence where things get a bit creepy for the under 10s because of music and suspense for example. "Sustained Threat" and "Intense Sequences" are things that are called out on film classifications now after all. Sometimes a studio won't be able to make sufficient cuts to get under the bar, and that's what those intermediate certificates are for. Bear in mind that over here in the UK we have 6 different bands for cinema release: U, PG, 12A, 12, 15, and 18 which as I understand it is getting on for double the options available in the US. Putting it out as a 12 with a slightly reduced audience is better than being stuck with less as a 15 for example, even if you'd want a 12A or PG for the real family box office.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    That's only one more than the set of MPAA ratings (no one remembers NC-17 because that's a death sentence for a film and distributors seem to much rather have something go unrated then get slapped by it).

edit: Speaking of, check out This Film Is Not Yet Rated if you haven't, which is a pointed look at the absurdities of MPAA rating standards.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    They do (or should based on audience size potential alone) but it's easier to cut out some dude getting his arm cut off than it is to trim a 5 minute sequence where things get a bit creepy for the under 10s because of music and suspense for example. "Sustained Threat" and "Intense Sequences" are things that are called out on film classifications now after all. Sometimes a studio won't be able to make sufficient cuts to get under the bar, and that's what those intermediate certificates are for. Bear in mind that over here in the UK we have 6 different bands for cinema release: U, PG, 12A, 12, 15, and 18 which as I understand it is getting on for double the options available in the US. Putting it out as a 12 with a slightly reduced audience is better than being stuck with less as a 15 for example, even if you'd want a 12A or PG for the real family box office.

Well the BBFC in the UK even today still has had a heavily influence on ratings from the Government and media's video nasty period after the murder of James Bulger caused the banning on a lot of films. While most of these films are now unbanned, we still receive heavily censored content for some releases even at 18 ratings.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    On that note, in the UK, the first or second of the Rami Spider-Man films is responsible for the creation of a whole new rating category. The content in the film would have given it a "12" rating, ie nobody under the age of 12 would be allowed in, even accompanied. The sudio was either unwilling or unable to make the cuts necessary to bring it down to a "PG" (Parental Guidance) rating, where anyone could go as long they had a guardian with them. So they negotiated a compromise, in the form of "12A" where 12 and up could go and see it just fine on their own, as they could have done with a 12 or a PG, but if your 10 year or really really really wanted to go, you could take them along.

Current MCU offerings usually land on a hard 12 so it's not totally supplanted by the 12A, but it's an interesting result of studio negotiation on our stricter and more granular ratings system compared to the US.

I know the U.K. is a relatively safer place and all, but letting a 12 year old run around on their own seems nuts to me.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »

Well the BBFC in the UK even today still has had a heavily influence on ratings from the Government and media's video nasty period after the murder of James Bulger caused the banning on a lot of films. While most of these films are now unbanned, we still receive heavily censored content for some releases even at 18 ratings.

The US has 5, but defined less clearly. The content descriptors are usually more useful. G, PG, PG13, R, NC17. NC17 is kind of a death knell outside of the festival rounds, so I'm willing to call it 4 because of how little the 5th is used.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I had the charming experience of seeing the new animated Batman movie, Batman & Harley Quinn, at the theater tonight. It's ostensibly set in the Timmverse, using the same aesthetic we all loved in BTAS and mostly the same voice actors from that series.

Holy shit, that was so much funnier and weirder than I was expecting. So many great lines, and Harley really gets the lead character treatment, plus the PG-13 rating really lets the writers lay into the comedy; and don't worry, they don't use that rating for added "adult" content, like so many of these shitty WB animated movies have. It's just the same old BTAS group, same feeling, same world, and it's a goddamned riot.

It's out to purchase and rent tomorrow, so check 'er out if you wanna.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/KAOdjqyG37A

Why is this so depressingly true

Please tell me that "equal and opposite action" thing has been used as a real line

because now that I've heard it, cliche as it is, it's too cool not to get used.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

You gotta acknowledge the originators of the form, though.

https://youtu.be/rbhrz1-4hN4

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »

Well they did forget the obligatory 15 second mini trailer before the trailer because studios are so scared general audiences might not know what the trailer is for.

Then the second trailer that has a dramatic shift in tone with classic 70s and 80s upbeat pop song hit due to studio demands to be more like current trending film.

Then the several TV spots that end up spoiling the major plot twist.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    That's only one more than the set of MPAA ratings (no one remembers NC-17 because that's a death sentence for a film and distributors seem to much rather have something go unrated then get slapped by it).

edit: Speaking of, check out This Film Is Not Yet Rated if you haven't, which is a pointed look at the absurdities of MPAA rating standards.

I'll add it to the pile :)

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Well they did forget the obligatory 15 second mini trailer before the trailer because studios are so scared general audiences might not know what the trailer is for.

Then the second trailer that has a dramatic shift in tone with classic 70s and 80s upbeat pop song hit due to studio demands to be more like current trending film.

Then the several TV spots that end up spoiling the major plot twist.
    This was made ~7 years ago, before that was a thing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I actually like the minitrailer in front of the trailer. It lets YouTube buffer for HD quality.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I actually like the minitrailer in front of the trailer. It lets YouTube buffer for HD quality.

Heh, I never thought of it like that :lol:

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Whereas the Auralnauts acknowledge that in the comments, and "hope" that Youtube's built-in monetization will add one automatically. :P

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i thought in general that PG-13 movies make a lot more (on average) than R movies? Logically, removing things to make the movie get a lower rating would increase the odds of profitability?

Yes

But, outside of Bayformers and Sandler movies, shitty shitty films don't generally do all that well. Regardless of target demographics.

I'm mainly looking at the Dark Tower and the Terminator franchise.

Who did they think these movies would please, that they'd actually make spectacular return?

With Terminator: Genesys, I kinda... I dunno, it was more of a tonal issue and that the whole thing felt undercooked. But it was pg-13, so obviously it was gonna get people in the theaters, right?! The problem was more pronounced in Salvation though, honestly.

Dark Tower is the really egregious one, though. Obviously, you're not going to encompass everything from a seven-book series in two hours. But even with the perfect "out" of not having to tell the same story (and I thought that was genius, honestly) they still managed to gut everything enjoyable about the characters, world, and concept. And that's down to poor film making, not a misunderstanding of the material (though I'm quite willing to point that finger as well). The studio approved a shitty script because it was "lean." They then cut what was filmed down because runtimes. They then mandated re-shoots for clarity when their mandated cuts fucked things up. But it was a pg-13 YA flick so it was destined for profit, right?

Fuckin wrong, bros. It was a cheap, shitty movie first and foremost. All the market share in the world ain't gonna change that.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I as I said I would I watched American Ultra this weekend.

I liked it a lot! It felt like a more down to earth, pot heady Borne Identity. And wow you guys were right. Kristen Stewart was surprisingly great. And yeah, it didn't really lean on pot head humor as much as it leaned on the sort of vision of what a pot head guy lives like. Less Dazed and Confused and more, "Here is a guy who's kind of a loser, and most losers smoke weed right?"

Good movie. You have my thanks thread.

I know I'm being pedantic but Dazed and Confused is not really a pot comedy either. There's like two scenes where characters smoke weed but none of it is "HAHA WEED IS FUNNY". Pineapple Express it ain't.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    But, outside of Bayformers and Sandler movies, shitty shitty films don't generally do all that well. Regardless of target demographics.
    Shitty films do amazing constantly. Have you looked at how well Suicide Squad did? Or Batman v Superman? Of course, there are many more shitty films than shitty films that do well, but there are also many more good films than good films that do well.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/6ttrnq/moviepass_a_subscription_plan_that_lets_you_go_to/
    https://www.moviepass.com/
    For the last several years, we have been testing a number of service offers and price points. We have learned a lot during this process and believe that we now have an offer that can’t be beat.

Effective today, we are introducing a universal subscription plan for $9.95 per month. MoviePass will have one price point nationwide and it will be for standard 2D films only. As a subscriber, you can see any movie, at any theater, at any time. For your convenience, we currently support more than 91 percent of movie theaters nationwide. Unfortunately, premium formats such as 3D and IMAX will not be included in this plan. We believe that you want to see more movies in theaters. Our $9.95 per month subscription makes it possible for you to see a movie every day, if you would like.

For current members, your price will automatically be reduced to $9.95, beginning on your next billing cycle following August 15th.

As before, there is no contract, so you are free to cancel at any time. This price point will be guaranteed for at least 12 months for those who sign up during this period. Space is limited.
    To all of those members who have supported us over the years, thank you! We look forward to continuing to provide award-winning service and giving you the largest selections of movies and theaters in the industry.
    See you at the movies! The MoviePass Team

Holy fucking ass crackers. I need to look into this but this sounds like it'll make going to the movies finally not cost an arm and a leg. The site is getting blown up via traffic right now, though.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Shitty films do amazing constantly. Have you looked at how well Suicide Squad did? Or Batman v Superman? Of course, there are many more shitty films than shitty films that do well, but there are also many more good films than good films that do well.

Not late-90's-direct-to-cable-level shitty, which is about where the Dark Tower lands. And, aside from effects quality, that's about where I'd place the last three Terminator movies as well. Then there's my personal hobby horse, the two AvP films.

But, I mean... I'm probably biased. These were all things I saw a lot of potential in, that got completely top-to-bottom fucked around, that are also known to have been subject to studio fuckery.

• Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/6ttrnq/moviepass_a_subscription_plan_that_lets_you_go_to/
    https://www.moviepass.com/
    For the last several years, we have been testing a number of service offers and price points. We have learned a lot during this process and believe that we now have an offer that can’t be beat.

Effective today, we are introducing a universal subscription plan for $9.95 per month. MoviePass will have one price point nationwide and it will be for standard 2D films only. As a subscriber, you can see any movie, at any theater, at any time. For your convenience, we currently support more than 91 percent of movie theaters nationwide. Unfortunately, premium formats such as 3D and IMAX will not be included in this plan. We believe that you want to see more movies in theaters. Our $9.95 per month subscription makes it possible for you to see a movie every day, if you would like.

For current members, your price will automatically be reduced to $9.95, beginning on your next billing cycle following August 15th.

As before, there is no contract, so you are free to cancel at any time. This price point will be guaranteed for at least 12 months for those who sign up during this period. Space is limited.
    To all of those members who have supported us over the years, thank you! We look forward to continuing to provide award-winning service and giving you the largest selections of movies and theaters in the industry.
    See you at the movies! The MoviePass Team

Holy fucking ass crackers. I need to look into this but this sounds like it'll make going to the movies finally not cost an arm and a leg. The site is getting blown up via traffic right now, though.

Im so glad this is happening in the US that hopefully something similar will happen in the UK that isn't a cinema chain trying to screw everyone over.

I remember when Cineworld UK did a subscription plan that was under £10 a month. Now its nearly twice the price and excludes so much its practically worthless. Although Cineworld are a garbage chain anyway and its no surprise they try to screw over the customer.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    On that note, in the UK, the first or second of the Rami Spider-Man films is responsible for the creation of a whole new rating category. The content in the film would have given it a "12" rating, ie nobody under the age of 12 would be allowed in, even accompanied. The sudio was either unwilling or unable to make the cuts necessary to bring it down to a "PG" (Parental Guidance) rating, where anyone could go as long they had a guardian with them. So they negotiated a compromise, in the form of "12A" where 12 and up could go and see it just fine on their own, as they could have done with a 12 or a PG, but if your 10 year or really really really wanted to go, you could take them along.

Current MCU offerings usually land on a hard 12 so it's not totally supplanted by the 12A, but it's an interesting result of studio negotiation on our stricter and more granular ratings system compared to the US.

Wait wait wait.

In the UK, if a film is any edgier than an MCU flick, nobody under 18 gets to see it in theaters, no matter what? Like, "Sorry dude, you're 17 and your parents are right here, but we cannot allow you to see bloodless comic book violence or hear two uses of the word 'fuck'"?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Wait wait wait.

In the UK, if a film is any edgier than an MCU flick, nobody under 18 gets to see it in theaters, no matter what? Like, "Sorry dude, you're 17 and your parents are right here, but we cannot allow you to see bloodless comic book violence or hear two uses of the word 'fuck'"?

Yep, the BBFC rating are upheld by law in the UK. While there is a 15 rating before the 18 rating, its illegal for anyone under those age groups to go to the cinema and watch that film regardless of parents. The 12A was introduced because of the old 12 rating being stamped on big blockbusters aimed for children, thats the only one where if you are under 12 you have to have an adult with you. In fact a number of groups have called for the 15 rating to be a 15A style and there has been arguments from as long back as the late 90s that people wanted the 18 rating abolished.

Whats weirder is that it was only the early 2000s that the BBFC introduced a rating specifically for porn.

In fact, want to know the craziest thing? In the UK, you have to be over 18 and produce ID to purchase spoons as they fall under cutlery and knives.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    If anyone is interested and has the time, Alamo Drafthouse is running the extended editions of the LOTR films this week

check your local showtimes

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    If anyone is interested and has the time, Alamo Drafthouse is running the extended editions of the LOTR films this week

Man that's some bladder busting. I'd hope they'd include an intermission.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I think it's on separate nights

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I think it's on separate nights

Even then, that's 3+ hour of a movie.

Intermission was the best part about the roadshow version of Hateful Eight it was like "ok I can have a soda in the first part because I know I'll be able to pee halfway through."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Movie pass is going to sell the shit out of your data. So be aware that cheap ticket is opening you up for even more spam.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular

Not late-90's-direct-to-cable-level shitty, which is about where the Dark Tower lands. And, aside from effects quality, that's about where I'd place the last three Terminator movies as well. Then there's my personal hobby horse, the two AvP films.

But, I mean... I'm probably biased. These were all things I saw a lot of potential in, that got completely top-to-bottom fucked around, that are also known to have been subject to studio fuckery.
    Bear in mind that the definition of both "shitty" and "do well" are relative things, and can also change over time.

For example, both Man of Steel and Phantom Menace opened to generally positive reception - in stark contrast to how a lot of movie fandoms now view them. There's a 10% difference in the US box office between Keanu Reeves' John Wick and 47 Ronin, but one is considered a surprise success while the other is viewed as one of worst box office performers of all time. Hell, outside the US Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs quietly racked up more box office dollars than Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, while similarly Hancock made more money internationally than every single Marvel Phase 1 movie except Avengers.

While it's certainly a nice ideal that there should be some correlation between quality and financial success, to the best of my knowledge there's no empirical evidence to prove that this is true - starting with the fact that no-one can even agree on the basic definitions.

• Options
    edited August 2017

Wait wait wait.

There's a speedbump at 15 where things like Deadpool and John Wick* land but yeah. 18s are fairly uncommon though so it's not like there's this huge gulf there.

*John Wick 2 was an 18, solely due (as I understand it) to it depicting
    suicide

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options

Wait wait wait.

There's a speedbump at 15 where things like Deadpool and John Wick* land but yeah. 18s are fairly uncommon though so it's not like there's this huge gulf there.

*John Wick 2 was an 18, solely due (as I understand it) to it depicting
    suicide

Forgot to add, some films over time have had reclassification for home releases, I know Starship Troopers (1998) was 15 for cinema release but 18 for home video release as an example.

For a film these days to get an 18 rating it has to specifically glorify particular acts such as excessing gore/violence in a realistic manner, suicide, drug use or strong sexual content.

• Options
    It seems like I'm registered for MoviePass? It's hard to say, their website is horrible and broken. I'll know in about a week I guess.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I like how there's no way to find out if there are theaters in your area that MoviePass works at until you've already signed up and given them credit card information.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Considering my local (walking distance) theater, which is a pretty nice place and has a bar + restaurant, bowling alley and arcade, was locked out of their building by the landlord a few months ago for failing to pay rent (to the tune of like half a million), I'm going to guess they won't be part of the Movie Pass thing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    haha, yeah, my walking-distance movie theater is an Alamo Drafthouse. Pretty sure they won't be a part of it, either.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Movie Pass is typically accepted wherever Discover cards are, or at least that was the case when I was a subscriber a couple years ago.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    When i was able to get the site to load, they said on the front page, "Usable anywhere Debit Cards are accepted"...also there's some links floating around where you can change the link to your zipcode and google that to find nearby theaters it works with. i would wait a few days as its blown up on most major sites and the moviepass site is gonna be passing bricks for a few days.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    You know those cheap CGI knockoffs of big name movies that are basically designed to fool dumb people into buying them?

There was one of those for King Arthur today and I nearly bought it just to see if it was better than what Guy
    Ritchie shat onto his hard drive.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Strangeland is a very bad movie, written by, produced, and starring Dee Snider. I wanna rock, Dee. So you're screenwriting, we're not gonna take it anymore, lest you burn in hell.

Return to the year of 1998 and not classy dial-up internet chatrooms as a heavily lip lined goth Velma and her friend leave her Mystery Inc. family to go hang out with a man named Captain Howdy who instant messaged her. Captain Howdy kidnaps the two girls and is basically Buffalo Bill, only he doesn't kill, he just does body piercings and modifications in order to free yourself or what have you something something.......look, it's Dee Snyder waxing philosophical like he's an emo teen as his face is full of tattoos and piercings and he stays one step ahead of Velma's father, a detective, who was that crazy hitman guy in Heat. Stuff happens and then it becomes a lot more "who is the real enemy in this situation" TV show logic to make you pontificate about just how awesome what you just watched was. But it wasn't.

There's really nothing here to enjoy, it's got torture porn with the body piercings and other stuff (but it's relatively clean in terms of actual blood) and thick boots and long hair and candles everywhere because mood, the acting isn't good, Freddy Kruger shows up to play against type for a bit but all his character is is "hey Robert England not being bad guy!" And you even have someone be uptight Christian Lady who seems to be a stand-in for all those Tipper Gores who pushed for censoring albums of which Snider was one of the vocal opponents to.

A vanity project that highlights how 85% of the time singers need to stick to singing, go watch Trick 'r Treat instead please ok thx.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Netflix suggested I would enjoy watching Wild Wild West. I remember watching it on HBO or something many moons ago, and I liked it. I watched it again last night and I still liked it.

I have nothing to offer in my defense.

This discussion has been closed.