As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies]: Watch the Final Cut version. Paddington still better.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    At least it wasn't Planet der Affen: Reloaded or something

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    You're right, it could've been worse. The first two films were Planet der Affen: Prevolution and Planet der Affen: Revolution. Especially the former is pretty embarrassing.

Switzerland traditionally has stuck to the English titles and shown films with subtitles, but they're moving towards dubs more and more. Bleh.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    "Prevolution"

Ugh

• Options
    It's the Germans' revenge on Basil Fawlty and his like.
    - We won the war!
    - Yes, and now we mangle your language. Take that, Arschloch!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    You're right, it could've been worse. The first two films were Planet der Affen: Prevolution and Planet der Affen: Revolution. Especially the former is pretty embarrassing.

Switzerland traditionally has stuck to the English titles and shown films with subtitles, but they're moving towards dubs more and more. Bleh.

Welcome to the hellscape of german mainstream cinemas.

Weird german re-titling just off the cuff:

Moana > Vaiana - Das Paradies hat einen Haken
    Tomorrowland > A World Beyond
    Thor - The Dark World > Thor - The Dark Kingdom
    Taken > 96 Hours
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 > The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Rise of Electro
    Raising Arizona > Arizona Junior
    Big Hero 6 > Baymax - Ein Riesiges Robowabohu
    Cradle 2 The Grave > Born 2 Die
    Captain America - The Winter Soldier > The Return of the First Avenger
    A Man Apart > Extreme Rage
    Begin Again > Can a Song save your Life?

and so on

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I dunno,

(spoilers?) War vs. Survival
    "Survival" fits the movie a lot better than "War"

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Walking around during my lunch break, I've been seeing a lot of filming going on. Some of that is to do with Endeavor (Young Inspector Morse), but apparently they're going to be filming a bunch of Mamma Mia 2 as well. I'd have thought all the best / well known songs were used in the first film, and I can't believe people were desperate to know what happened next.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I had the same reaction.

Like, okay, the broadway show did pretty well. What asshole thought a sequel was at all appropriate?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Mama Mia 2 doesn't exist.

It's an abbarition.

• Options
    Tamin wrote: »
    I dunno,

I'm less taken aback by the choice of word than by the utterly nonsensical decision to change the title of a film into something that's half a translation and half a newly chosen word in the original language. If English is a problem and there's a need to 'Germanify' the title, why add an English word? If English isn't a problem, why change the title to begin with?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    So when they came up with the idea of a sequel were they thinking of using the same songs as the first one, or was the idea to have a musical scored with Abba's less popular hits?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Mama Mia 2 doesn't exist.

It's an abbarition.

Why?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    On the plus side: more Endeavour

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    abbarition (and the winner takes it all boom scoreboard)

I mean of course they would make another pointless sequel, the first one made lots of money and if something as bland as My Big Fat Greek Wedding can get a sequel 15 years later, might as well try it with something a little better.

Only probably filled with Lorde slowed down remixes of Abba songs. Mama Mia *piano key* here......I go.....again *bwaaaaaam*

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

I mean of course they would make another pointless sequel, the first one made lots of money and if something as bland as My Big Fat Greek Wedding can get a sequel 15 years later, might as well try it with something a little better.

Only probably filled with Lorde slowed down remixes of Abba songs. Mama Mia *piano key* here......I go.....again *bwaaaaaam*

Since this is being filmed just down the road from where I work, I'm hoping not to hear this.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So, yesterday Cinema Sins featured Kong: Skull Island, and this morning director of said film Jordan Vogt-Roberts spent something like 3 hours losing his shit over it on Twitter. Fascinating in its' way.

https://twitter.com/VogtRoberts?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

I don't care for Cinema Sins, an interesting concept that got old and nitpicky super fast after the Age of Extinction review, so I just stopped watching. Very simple thing to do.

But damn if I don't have some respect for them causing the director to lose his shit in the most pointless way possible these days. At least go fight them in a boxing ring, brah.

The guy spent the time pointing out how the channel ignores what actually happens in the film, and ignores the language of film, in order to come up with "sins."

Also known as the channel's whole schtick, like duh? I mean what's next pointing out that Honest Trailers is not actually honest about a film either?

I don't watch Honest Trailers but l am fairly certain that the people who make Honest Trailers don't make up a bunch of bullshit in their videos, turn around and say "you can't criticise us for being wrong about the film because we're just joking, we aren't doing actual criticism" despite them also putting up videos where they give what is supposed to be their actual impressions of the films and they bring up the same bullshit issues/problems, nor do they heavily lean on tropes that belittle women.

"+1 sin because DarkPrimus isn't my girlfriend in this post".

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Cinema Sins is basically reading the TVTrope page for that film and dinging off points for each entry, except sometimes they aren't even using the correct film's page.

So they're lazy and sometimes stupid too.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

Since this is being filmed just down the road from where I work, I'm hoping not to hear this.

I haven't actually seen Mamma Mia but the place where they filmed it in Greece is really fucking nice and you can get some really good seafood there.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    New Criterions:
    901_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg902_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg306_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg903_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I must have that Jabberwocky.

Witnessing the Vorpal Sword go "snicker-snack" is a moral imperative.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

I meant "why?" as in "Why do you subject us to such a horrible pun?" I got the joke, I just think you're a monster.

• Options
    Do you abbahor it? I will abbascond from any more abba puns until the movie is released.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    How the hell was Le Samourai not already a Criterion? I got taught that movie like nine times in film school. (That and Sunset fucking Boulevard, a great movie I never need to see again.)

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    (That and Sunset fucking Boulevard, a great movie I never need to see again.)
    Someone isn't ready for their close up Mr. DeMille

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Jabberwocky is one of the few Gilliam films that I just didn't enjoy at all.

I should try and re watch it. It's been decades since I've seen it.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    How the hell was Le Samourai not already a Criterion? I got taught that movie like nine times in film school. (That and Sunset fucking Boulevard, a great movie I never need to see again.)

This is the first blu ray release.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Jabberwocky is one of the few Gilliam films that I just didn't enjoy at all.

I should try and re watch it. It's been decades since I've seen it.

I wasn't a fan either, but its a clear stepping stone for his later work.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

It was - I have the DVD. This is a Blu Ray rerelease.

I haven't seen Jabberwocky in forever. Remember it being kinda a mess. Time Bandits was Gilliam's first successful movie.

Is Philadelphia Story the movie that begins with Cary Grant grabbing Katherine Hepburn by the face and shoving her down? And it's presented as being a lighthearted opening or something?

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8h3ri2WN_-IbviBlWtUcQ

For those who don't like cinemacins shtick ( I do but I get it's not everyone's bag) this is a channel inspired by them but focusing on the positives of even terrible movies.

Cinemasins also has a podcast that does some of the better movie discussions on the internet, raises money for mental health and are the first to admit what they do is not high art. They have many running gags in their videos that I would imagine could be annoying to the uninitiated.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I just got back from seeing Valerian. The theater was completely empty, which was fun, minus running around a dark room like a child and slamming my knees into the railing. The movie wasn't bad. I think the leads were miscast for a number of reasons (chemistry, presence, etc.), but I still enjoyed myself for the visual spectacle and humor.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Desert Hearts is a cool addition to the collection. That makes 3 months in a row in which female-directed films have been added.

Criterion has released over 1200 different films and less than 50 feature female directors, so hopefully this is a conscious effort.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    They're reprinting Le Samourai as Bluray? I thought they had dropped it. Yeeessss!

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8h3ri2WN_-IbviBlWtUcQ

For those who don't like cinemacins shtick ( I do but I get it's not everyone's bag) this is a channel inspired by them but focusing on the positives of even terrible movies.

Cinemasins also has a podcast that does some of the better movie discussions on the internet, raises money for mental health and are the first to admit what they do is not high art. They have many running gags in their videos that I would imagine could be annoying to the uninitiated.

It's the same guy, so I'm not sure 'inspired by' is the right phrase. But yeah, that's an okay channel, given the positive spin.

I'd probably always go with something like Movies With Mikey over that, though.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Well, I got an email saying I got successfully signed up for that MoviePass thing despite the website acting like it wouldn't process my credit card.

So I should probably see if my card got charged a million times for the service.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    I dunno,

I'm less taken aback by the choice of word than by the utterly nonsensical decision to change the title of a film into something that's half a translation and half a newly chosen word in the original language. If English is a problem and there's a need to 'Germanify' the title, why add an English word? If English isn't a problem, why change the title to begin with?

Probably people respond better when the title is in their local language, and a foreign word 'subtitle' can both denote that it's not a local production and add flavor?

I'm not really defending the point, just idly thinking about it. I can't think of any examples to support this take.

• Options
    Anyway, War for the Planet of the Apes was good, and it's an immense technical achievement. However, I found Dawn more engaging. Caesar is so weary in this one, and it makes the film feel similarly weary at times. You can tell a story about a tired, old warrior that still is sparkling with energy from the beginning (e.g. Logan). War lacks this energy for about half an hour, though once it introduces a couple of new characters, it comes to life. I'm not a big fan of Harrelson's character, though; it's too much of a Colonel Kurtz pastiche that doesn't add anything to its inspiration.

On a different note: Salvation is an utterly generic western that tells an overly familiar story. It does have a very good cast doing what they can with relatively shallow characters, though, and is short and snappy. You could do worse if you're looking for an oater that's also a traditional revenge tale; just don't expect it to be particularly original or memorable.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    The Hitman's Bodyguard was great, second best movie of the year behind John Wick 2. Will post more later but movie critics are fucking idiots, muthafucka

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Better than Baby Driver and Dunkirk?

..oh wait it's Texiken

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Watch it and prove me wrong!

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I watched London Has Fallen because I wanted to make sure you weren't accidentally correct about things, and it was dire

Actual dialogue from a real, final scene in London Has Fallen:

Terrorist: Fuck you!
    Leonidas: Fuck me!?
    *Shoots terrorist*
    Leonidas: Fuck you!

I'm sure a RR + SJ movie is entertaining, but there is basically a 0% chance you are right about this

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.