As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost more than you expect

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Hot when light off is, to use the technical terminology, an "uh oh" situation.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Look, I'm no electricity scientist or whatever the fuck. I'm just a guy who doesn't want to die when he changes a light bulb, so I'm going to say that wiring the light fixture in front of the switch is fuckin' crazy.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    03vskMih.jpg

THAT’S RIGHT YOU ADORABLE RAT BASTARDS THERE’S BRICKS ON THE LID GET REKT

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Oh my gawd. Those guys are adorable!
    Also what the heck are you doing up?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Defending the incursion.

• Options
    DAMMIT THEY FIGURED OUT THEY CAN MOVE THE BRICKS

• Options
    edited September 2018
    The trick is finding a way to attach weight to the inside of the lid. Or tension ropes.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Turn the bricks lengthways and tie them to the underneath of that joist?
    Lid shouldn't be able to open if it pushes a brick against the joist.

..might end up with a bin full of raccoon though

discrider on
  • Options
    I’m just gonna copy my neighbor and bungee it shut.
    Radiation wrote: »

I woke up at three for whatever reason and decided to do some laundry in the basement. And then the trash thudding started.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    This
    Quid wrote: »
    03vskMih.jpg

THAT’S RIGHT YOU ADORABLE RAT BASTARDS THERE’S BRICKS ON THE LID GET REKT

Plus this
    DAMMIT THEY FIGURED OUT THEY CAN MOVE THE BRICKS

Just gave me the first real chuckle I've had in over a week.

• Options
    I won’t lie, the second time one popped his head out of the cab with a big round cracker in his mouth and another in his hand and it was adorable. The shredded trash everywhere on the ground less so. At least these ones aren’t super aggressive.

• Options
    You could send food waste to a compost bin and they could raid that instead of the trashcan.

also we talked about this when I was helping you with the bike thing. The solution to them moving one brick should not have been to add a second brick!

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    At least it's raccoons.

I just found proof that there's a mouse inside the house. I thought I saw something flash out the corner of my eye a few days ago, but last night I actually heard and saw it under the sink. Cleared everything out, and yup, a lot of mouse droppings... but not an epic amount, so hopefully it's just one. I was up all night anyways, so I tried some homemade stuff like dangling a toilet roll over a bucket, and fashioning a similar trap out of a coke bottle. Damn thing took the bait leading up to everything, but not the actual trap itself. Well, Walmart is open now so off to buy some traps.

It also means a trip under the house to see where it might have gotten in. I had a quick spring cleaning look months ago, and the trailer home is up on massive blocks, with a black plastic barrier covering the entire bottom. I don't remember seeing much of anything or anywhere something might crawl in. But luckily - or unluckily - for me, it's raining, so said task will have to wait for tomorrow.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    FROM NOW ON THREE BRICKS

• Options
    FROM NOW ON THREE BRICKS

That wall just got a foot higher.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    FROM NOW ON THREE BRICKS
    If they can push one brick, they can push three bricks. Raccoons find a way.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Cirira wrote: »
    My wife overloads our dishwasher and nothing ever comes out clean. She'll put big bulky pots covering the bottom of it and that means nothing on top gets clean as a result. It's purely how she loads it.

I made her read the manual one time because it's not that hard to load a dishwasher. Ever since then the dishes come out just fine. I think she realized I wasn't just making up how to properly load it and the manual actually gives instructions on how to properly load your model.

You could see if your dishwasher has a manual that might have some suggestions on loading techniques, or try different detergents as evilmrhenry suggested.

It's usually a combination of this and because apartment dishwashers are fucking hot garbage that need food to be prerinsed before they can be cleaned.

Once you actually get one that costs more than $50, they work fairly well as long as you don't overload it or put dome like objects (cups, bowls, pots) on the bottom.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    mrondeau wrote: »
    FROM NOW ON THREE BRICKS

FINE! FOUR BRICKS, THEN!

• Options
    FROM NOW ON THREE BRICKS

FINE! FOUR BRICKS, THEN!
    Sadly, Inductive proofs are a thing. Raccoons will shift unaccountably infinite bricks, and that does not even makes sense.

• Options
    The obvious solution is to hide in the bin, when the rascals come back, give them a strong talking to face to face.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    The obvious solution is to just leave your delicious trash all over the ground.

• Options
    FROM NOW ON THREE BRICKS

FINE! FOUR BRICKS, THEN!
    Sadly, Inductive proofs are a thing. Raccoons will shift unaccountably infinite bricks, and that does not even makes sense.

p9ZYtQSl.jpg

Challenge accepted.

• Options
    Wait.

What if... Heavier bricks?

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I’m just gonna copy my neighbor and bungee it shut.

I woke up at three for whatever reason and decided to do some laundry in the basement. And then the trash thudding started.

My dad always bungees anything that the racoons get into. For a while, the cat food can had three bungee cords, because one racoon could get two off, just not three. I have no idea. But yeah, bungees are generally the way the go. Racoons are smart.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Just put an increasing number of bricks.

Then put a wall of bricks with nothing behind it, and hide the trashcan elsewhere.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    FROM NOW ON THREE BRICKS

FINE! FOUR BRICKS, THEN!
    Also make them pay for it!

sig.gif
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    What we really need to do is stack the bricks on top of each other "infinite staircase" style.

nfp9c2368orp.png

That_Guy on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Have y'all ever thought about just putting the bricks on the raccoons instead?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Or leaving sandwiches for the raccoons...in your neighbors yard.

• Options
    joshgotro wrote: »

This is evil and is considered to be a crime against humanity.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    You could sit out there for a few nights with a bb gun. Racoons are smart and will quickly learn to skip your house.

• Options

Not if they neighbors like raccoons.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    You could sit out there for a few nights with a bb gun. Racoons are smart and will quickly learn to skip your house.

Especially if they know there are sammies next door

• Options
    Also how many bricks do you want to take off and then put back on each time you have to take out trash.

• Options
    p9ZYtQSl.jpg

This many.

• Options

Not if they neighbors like raccoons.

Then they belong in the Hague.

• Options
    Also how many bricks do you want to take off and then put back on each time you have to take out trash.

A successful, secure amount.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I have an intermittent leak somewhere that sometimes creates a puddle in my basement and it appears water is finding it's way behind the tub surround (which is just the plastic variety glued on to an old tile wall). Plumber couldn't find anything and his best suggestion was a complete remodel. Yeah no thanks, I don't have thousands of doubloons laying around.

Anyways, it's leaking somewhere that doesn't cause the pipes in the wall to be wet, which makes me think water must be dribbling out somewhere near the wall openings for the spout and faucet handles.

Any ideas? Am I going to have to rip this whole damn thing apart?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

IT'S THE PRINCIPLE OF THE MATTER!

• Options
    Also, Raccoons are the best, and they always look so shocked when you give them food. It's great.

This discussion has been closed.