As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost more than you expect

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    Man I wish I could keep a pet raccoon because I love those furry faces.

However they tend to be super destructive and not good if they get into your house, so I can see wanting to deter them.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Cirira wrote: »
    Man I wish I could keep a pet raccoon because I love those furry faces.

However they tend to be super destructive and not good if they get into your house, so I can see wanting to deter them.

The true solution is to befriend one, and use him to fend off the other

This may or may not still cause the "trash on the ground" problem, but you have the bonus of starting a raccoon turf war.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Yes, sow seeds of dissent among the raccoon population. That's the long game.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    I have an intermittent leak somewhere that sometimes creates a puddle in my basement and it appears water is finding it's way behind the tub surround (which is just the plastic variety glued on to an old tile wall). Plumber couldn't find anything and his best suggestion was a complete remodel. Yeah no thanks, I don't have thousands of doubloons laying around.

Anyways, it's leaking somewhere that doesn't cause the pipes in the wall to be wet, which makes me think water must be dribbling out somewhere near the wall openings for the spout and faucet handles.

Any ideas? Am I going to have to rip this whole damn thing apart?

Does it start leaking quickly after you use the shower? If so, grab a bucket, pour water on various parts of the surround, and see which ones cause a leak.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Our new dining room light:

jb1hbb7hzdys.jpg

Electrical question: whether the light is off or on, the fixtures are hot. I'm reading conflicting information, but it seems like this is normal if the light switch is after the light in the circuit instead of before the light. Is that true, and if so, is that kosher?

Pretty sure it is not up to code to have the switch after the light, but I could be wrong. Even if it is though, having the light fixture be hot when not on means there is a short somewhere, which is definitely not good.

Followup. I got in touch with my electrician to ask him, and he said the switch after is perfectly fine especially for older houses. Sometimes it's the only way to make the wiring work. But after looking around, I noticed that all of the ceiling fixtures are hot when they're switched off. Time to pull out the multimeter!

120V when powered on. Great. Breaker off, 0V. Perfect. When the breaker is on, but the switch is off, the fixtures in the house all read somewhere between 9-25V.

So I've got phantom voltage. And after looking more, I'm pretty sure it's because a lot of the wires are the old style cloth wiring because the previous owner was lazy. Safe for now, replace later, $Texas, ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    Our new dining room light:

jb1hbb7hzdys.jpg

Electrical question: whether the light is off or on, the fixtures are hot. I'm reading conflicting information, but it seems like this is normal if the light switch is after the light in the circuit instead of before the light. Is that true, and if so, is that kosher?

Pretty sure it is not up to code to have the switch after the light, but I could be wrong. Even if it is though, having the light fixture be hot when not on means there is a short somewhere, which is definitely not good.

Followup. I got in touch with my electrician to ask him, and he said the switch after is perfectly fine especially for older houses. Sometimes it's the only way to make the wiring work. But after looking around, I noticed that all of the ceiling fixtures are hot when they're switched off. Time to pull out the multimeter!

120V when powered on. Great. Breaker off, 0V. Perfect. When the breaker is on, but the switch is off, the fixtures in the house all read somewhere between 9-25V.

So I've got phantom voltage. And after looking more, I'm pretty sure it's because a lot of the wires are the old style cloth wiring because the previous owner was lazy. Safe for now, replace later, $Texas, ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Fun....

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If that is metal it could also just be retaining heat from the lights.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Not with actual voltage. That's not a good sign. Mind, it depends if there's a conductive path between the two terminals when the switch is off. They are supposed to be disconnected.

• Options
    mrondeau wrote: »

Not with actual voltage. That's not a good sign. Mind, it depends if there's a conductive path between the two terminals when the switch is off. They are supposed to be disconnected.

I assume shadowfire was testing the actual terminals and not the fixture's surface.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    mrondeau wrote: »

I assume shadowfire was testing the actual terminals and not the fixture's surface.

Oh yeah. If there was voltage on the fixture itself I'd be in panic mode that we'd wired it wrong. This is in the sockets which is ok-ish.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Switches after the fact is basically just lazy electricians of yesteryear, not technically wrong in that'll still function, but dangerous since to kill the circuit while working on it you have to hit the breaker or pull out the fuse. Which you should do anyways, though.

bowen on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    The trick is finding a way to attach weight to the inside of the lid. Or tension ropes.

Cords are the easy off the shelf solution though can possibly be lost if your sanitation workers aren't the most attentive.

Weighing the lid can be done with a drill, zip ties, and weighted items with a whole in them like masonry bricks that have holes due to being on the inside of masonry where no one will see the holes. That's how I've weighed a small feral cat feeding station that raccoons would knock over if they couldn't find food in it.
    That_Guy wrote: »
    You could sit out there for a few nights with a bb gun. Racoons are smart and will quickly learn to skip your house.

This can be a really long wait. From experience trying to deter raccoons, they can show up any time from shortly after nightfall to just before dawn.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Why not drill holes through the can and lid that are big enough to accommodate a bike lock and use that?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Skeith wrote: »
    Why not drill holes through the can and lid that are big enough to accommodate a bike lock and use that?

Presumably because one wants the sanitation workers to unlock the lid to empty the trash and one can't easily give all of them the combination or a key.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I have an intermittent leak somewhere that sometimes creates a puddle in my basement and it appears water is finding it's way behind the tub surround (which is just the plastic variety glued on to an old tile wall). Plumber couldn't find anything and his best suggestion was a complete remodel. Yeah no thanks, I don't have thousands of doubloons laying around.

Anyways, it's leaking somewhere that doesn't cause the pipes in the wall to be wet, which makes me think water must be dribbling out somewhere near the wall openings for the spout and faucet handles.

Any ideas? Am I going to have to rip this whole damn thing apart?

Does it start leaking quickly after you use the shower? If so, grab a bucket, pour water on various parts of the surround, and see which ones cause a leak.

Takes about 10 minutes or so to start seeing drips in the basement. Could possibly still make this work using a hose or something. Hmmmm.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

Presumably because one wants the sanitation workers to unlock the lid to empty the trash and one can't easily give all of them the combination or a key.

I was going to say "leave the key in the lock" but some raccoon would just end up stealing the key, further escalating this arms race.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Geez, their only raccoons! You'd just paint the combination on the can. Then the sanitation workers can easily read it and ignore it because fuck you buddy and when the raccoons take over the world they'll remember you fondly for helping them master the concept of writing.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Okay, but for real tip: I've never met a raccoon that could work a caribiner.

Get two of the huge like 7" ones and drill two holes in the lid/rim. Run the carabiners through as a makeshift padlock.

The best part about this is that if you come out one day and find that your local raccoons have mastered opening a carabiner, well, that's your cue to sell your house and move away because it won't be long until they can pick your locks.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018

Get two of the huge like 7" ones and drill two holes in the lid/rim. Run the carabiners through as a makeshift padlock.

The best part about this is that if you come out one day and find that your local raccoons have mastered opening a carabiner, well, that's your cue to sell your house and move away because it won't be long until they can pick your locks.

Jim Gordon: What about escalation?

Batman: Escalation?

Jim Gordon: We start carrying semi-automatics, they buy automatics. We start wearing Kevlar, they buy armor piercing rounds.

Batman: And?

Jim Gordon: And, you're wearing a mask. Jumping off rooftops. Now, take this guy.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    joshgotro wrote: »

Jim Gordon: What about escalation?

Batman: Escalation?

Jim Gordon: We start carrying semi-automatics, they buy automatics. We start wearing Kevlar, they buy armor piercing rounds.

Batman: And?

Jim Gordon: And, you're wearing a mask. Jumping off rooftops. Now, take this guy.

the-coon.png

Steam Profile
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm more frightened about crows and ravens. Those fuckers have an understanding of fluid mechanics and displacement.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I'm more frightened about crows and ravens. Those fuckers have an understanding of fluid mechanics and displacement.

They also bring us gifts occasionally when we feed them. Either that or they just drop rocks and pick up the peanuts. Keeping the squirrels away from the crow food has been the hardest part.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I got a big clamp. We’ll see how that works out.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Bolthorn wrote: »

They also bring us gifts occasionally when we feed them. Either that or they just drop rocks and pick up the peanuts. Keeping the squirrels away from the crow food has been the hardest part.

If you figure out how to keep squirrels out of anything, please let me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWU0bfo-bSY

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Has anyone here redone the insulation in their attic and had a noticeable difference in energy bill or general comfort around the house? I have about R-24 in my attic right now and current building code in my area of colorado is R-49. I won't be redoing any wall insulation, which is currently R-13, or my vinyl double pane windows.

In the winter time there are definitely days when the house feels much colder than the 68 degrees I have it set to. I'm guessing that is caused by areas near the walls or windows being colder than the area right next to the thermostat? When we had our new furnace put in 6 years ago the tech suggested we leave the fan on "on" (instead of auto). This was supposedly because even if it isn't heating or cooling it is moving air around which should even out the temp in different parts of the house and reduce cold or hot spots. Using an IR thermometer gun in the winter time I have noticed colder spots on the ceiling near the edges or corners of the ceiling. I'm assuming the insulation in the attic isn't pushed all the way out to the walls or maybe those areas are near soffits which can't be covered?

House is a 1960s ranch.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Yeah what you're feeling is the drafting coming from walls/windows and how furnaces work with their air returns.

I don't know if I'd be too concerned with the corners on the ceiling. You've probably got almost 0 insulation in your walls with anything older than the 1970s. Or if you do it's things like newspapers.

E: I dunno if the fan on would even help, it'd even out the temp but you'd still have drafting from air moving constantly and it's probably making it worse.

bowen on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    @bowen So would there be any use in putting more insulation in the ceiling if I made no changes to the walls or windows? I have checked the walls in a few places and there is insulation, but the basement walls have these sweet 1x3s and 0 insulation.

I didn't even know 1x3 was a lumber size until we had to fix something behind the drywall in the basement.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    I'd look for cold zones around doors and windows first. Your attic space seems pretty well insulated, but maybe the insulation is sub par or old in the walls. You can get foam injected into the walls so you don't need to do a full tear down. Not sure how that works if you've already got some there.

Insulating the basement would help too.

Hard to say for sure though!

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    If it's a mid-60s ranch, you might have R-9 in there. Maybe. And based on what the insulation in my house looked like, it's probably seen more useful days. If they failed to tack it right, it may have even slipped down in some sections. When I renoed my house the first time, I was told that foam would be the way to go if I wanted better insulation, and it can easily be injected even with existing insulation in the walls. That's what I would look into if I were in your position.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Blown in or foam is great but expensive or a pain in the ass to move around in the space (if that matters).
    I just squeeze in new roxul (batting made from rocks but looks like the old pink fibreglass) whenever there's a rebate or sale.
    It's made a marginal difference during the winter and summer so I guess my long winded opinion is that more insulation is almost always a good idea.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    So I have a meeting with an agent on Monday...
    *nervously eats avocado toast*
    Oh, shit!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Aioua wrote: »
    Oh, shit!

Well now you can't afford a house, you dunderheaded millennial!
    Or health care, probably.

minor incident on
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    We got a second quote on our furnace that was almost a thousand dollars cheaper than the first quote so now I'm left wondering what's the catch.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Oh, shit!

Hell yes increase your tax burden. Do iiiiiiiit.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Oh, shit!

Hell yes increase your tax burden. Do iiiiiiiit.

Psh, I already pay property taxes via my rent.
    At least now I'll get the credit for it.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Cog wrote: »
    We got a second quote on our furnace that was almost a thousand dollars cheaper than the first quote so now I'm left wondering what's the catch.

What's wrong with it?

• Options

What's wrong with it?

My guess: it's a furnace.

• Options

What's wrong with it?

My guess: it's a furnace.

Certainly no printer that's for sure

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    It's DNS

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    It's DNS

Make sure the guy you call for the new furnace reads the install guide.

This discussion has been closed.