Options

USMNT: The Next [Soccer] Generation

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Referee's only required to stop play for head injuries. I don't remember an actual head injury being ignored.

This dude was on the ground not moving and clutching his head. Even the commentators were saying "uuhhh he should really be stopping play here."

They also at one point said "he's clearly lost control of this game" so really overall not a great refereeing job I think.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Oh, then I do remember the situation and that's one of the ones I thought he handled really well because that was Suarez getting hit in the back and then clutching his head instead to force a stoppage.

I will say, players feigning or exaggerating contact to the head is one of my least favorite ways of trying to game the system, so any referee who can see through that immediately gains extra brownie points with me.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Well this is going to be a slog for Russia now on.

• Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    Russia already had a slog ahead of them

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    man I want Russia to go on. I can't stand this Spain.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    NO ERA PENAL

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    MagicalGoatsMagicalGoats Registered User regular
    When they brought up Mattress Makers, at first I thought it was because they were putting people to sleep.

There is no aspect, no facet, no moment of life, that cannot be improved with pizza.
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    This World Cup is hilarious.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    That's two absolutely egregious fouls from the same Danish player, yeesh.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    This penalty shootout is ridiculous

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    They could save so much time if they just went straight to shootouts instead of waiting two hours

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Well... fuck.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    That feels like justice after the foul at 116 minutes, because that should have been game.

• Options
    DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Somehow I feel happy for Croatia, they all just seemed so... relieved and delighted at the end, this was clearly a very very big thing for them. Yay Croatia!

• Options
    Rewatching the Russia/Spain game because I was busy when it was on and yeesh, this Spain team kinda embodies all the most boring aspects of Spanish World Cup soccer. Passpasspasspasspasspass ad nauseum. Glad that's out of the tournament.

• Options
    I fell asleep three times during the Russia/Spain game.
    I missed the shootout.

• Options
    Alright here we go. Ve a México!

• Options
    I'm pretty impressed with this ref so far, he's being extremely consistent with what he is and isn't calling.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I missed the goal, anyone got a replay?

• Options
    Ochoa is singehandedly keeping Mexico's chance to win alive.

• Options
    Bwomp bwomp. Was a well fought game from Mexico!

• Options
    I still hate how Neymar oversells ANYTHING that touches him. He is pretty good he doesn't have to resort to that!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    I still hate how Neymar oversells ANYTHING that touches him. He is pretty good he doesn't have to resort to that!

The Brazilian team in general has tended to do that for the last few World Cups (can't speak to pre-2006 since that's the first one I watched). It's pretty funny to watch them flipflop about like a fish out of water, yelling and grimacing in pain, and then get up and keep playing normally like nothing happened.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

The Brazilian team in general has tended to do that for the last few World Cups (can't speak to pre-2006 since that's the first one I watched). It's pretty funny to watch them flipflop about like a fish out of water, yelling and grimacing in pain, and then get up and keep playing normally like nothing happened.

Yeah, I don't recall either OG Ronaldo or Ronaldinho resorting to that. Even "Penaldo" doesn't roll around the floor. I just hope Neymar doesn't influence Mbappe with his antics. Be more like Cavani Mbappe!

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Rewatching the Russia/Spain game because I was busy when it was on and yeesh, this Spain team kinda embodies all the most boring aspects of Spanish World Cup soccer. Passpasspasspasspasspass ad nauseum. Glad that's out of the tournament.

On the other hand, Russia is in full on Grecian box-stack modeX so I’d be happy to see them go next.

Sad to see Mexico go, but Brazil just looked plain better.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    It's gonna be a tough game for Japan, but they're going about it in the right way so far.

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Japan is looking impressive vs a very difficult Belgium squad.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018

There was the famous Rivaldo corner-flag incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVksdN4QnvA

Prolegomena on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    It's 4 am in our Tokyo hotel room
    Let's go

• Options
    Fuckin WOW

• Options
    This World Cup is just nuts. I'm happy for Japan.

• Options
    ANIME IS REAL GUYS!!!!

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    That second goal had zero spin on the ball.

I can't believe it didn't even rotate once in midair. Wow.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    As someone who thinks it's kind of a bummer whenever the world cup turns into "the euros but with like one or two CONMEBOL teams" during the elimination rounds, I am very happy with this game so far.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    What a freaking amazing goal from Belgium

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    oh come on Japan!

• Options
    Jesus I checked the score at halftime because I couldn't watch because I was in a meeting, this went from 0 to 11 in like 25 minutes huh

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    Well, shit.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    This is one spectacular match. Japan is playing such great defense, and these Belgium goals are just so insane and creative. That header was indefensible.

• Options
    best header or worst goalkeeping?

man seeing the meltdowns and twitter feed was fun for 20 minutes