Options

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I do not remember the upgrades, and also haven't played in like 3 years.

IIRC, there was a late game rune that was basically "Infinite ammo if you have over 100 armor" that you could upgrade to be at 75 armor. If you've stacked armor bonuses by that point, you should have like 200 armor. Sitting in a corner and endlessly gausse rifling or turret chaingunning everything that comes near me is a pretty successful tactic.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I remember that one.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I did a pistol and equipment only nightmare run that was pretty fun

gotta respect the nades

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Fifty Shades of Slay is good

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    For those wanting to go in unspoiled on gameplay, don't open spoiler
    Apparently Cacodemons can just straight up EAT YOU

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    It's been a while since I played 2016 but I thought you didn't really want to melee them anyway because their bites did a fuckton of damage.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Donnicton wrote: »
    It's been a while since I played 2016 but I thought you didn't really want to melee them anyway because their bites did a fuckton of damage.

No I mean
    It eats you and you die

From what I've seen, it sounds like it's a OHK.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    im curious about that bad guy that has the axe and the double barrel shotgun, the nega doomguy one with the armour. I’m assuming it won’t fire hitscan rounds as this whole game is built around enemies only having dodge-able projectiles

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

No I mean
    It eats you and you die

Might be to balance the OHK of lobbing a grenade into their mouth?

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    im curious about that bad guy that has the axe and the double barrel shotgun, the nega doomguy one with the armour. I’m assuming it won’t fire hitscan rounds as this whole game is built around enemies only having dodge-able projectiles

This is not actually true, imps pretty frequently do hitscans in 2016 they just hide it well

ByteMe goes into it a bit somewhere, I'll see if I can dig the video up

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

No I mean
    It eats you and you die

Might be to balance the OHK of lobbing a grenade into their mouth?

That's what I'm figuring. They added
    A shockwave attack to Mancubi so you can't just run up and shotgun them

Just making mechanics more interesting than "lol double barrel"

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean, at some point the foundation of DOOM is supposed to be "lol double barrel"

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

I figure that’s an Invasion Mode player.

I wonder how runes may come into play in the multi stuff this time

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular

I’m pretty sure that particular bad guy is part of the story somehow. We haven’t seen anything from him other than the brief glimpse(s) in the last couple trailers though.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I mean, at some point the foundation of DOOM is supposed to be "lol double barrel"

Also "lol double barrel at the double barrels."

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

I’m pretty sure that particular bad guy is part of the story somehow. We haven’t seen anything from him other than the brief glimpse(s) in the last couple trailers though.

One of the wallpapers they released had 4 different bad guys that wore slayer type armour, and he was one of them. My guess is they’re bosses.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I've been playing UT99 because nostalgia is a thing and it's crazy how different (and how similar) it is to a modern FPS. The weirdest thing about it is how cramped everything feels compared to a modern game; it's like someone decided 80% of the map should have 3m of head room and the walls should only be barely larger than that and I feel so much less mobile than I do in modern games.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    I've been playing UT99 because nostalgia is a thing and it's crazy how different (and how similar) it is to a modern FPS. The weirdest thing about it is how cramped everything feels compared to a modern game; it's like someone decided 80% of the map should have 3m of head room and the walls should only be barely larger than that and I feel so much less mobile than I do in modern games.

The funny thing is is the proportions probably aren't much different than modern day ones, but I think the simplification of the geometry creates a sort of miniatures effect (like, say, how you can tell in moves when something is a model, even though it's extremely detailed).

Also note the size of weapons in older games as compared to newer ones. The chaingun takes up the entire fucking screen when you pick it up, and even just in normal use modern games seem to zoom in to the weapons a lot more than older ones did.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

The funny thing is is the proportions probably aren't much different than modern day ones, but I think the simplification of the geometry creates a sort of miniatures effect (like, say, how you can tell in moves when something is a model, even though it's extremely detailed).

Also note the size of weapons in older games as compared to newer ones. The chaingun takes up the entire fucking screen when you pick it up, and even just in normal use modern games seem to zoom in to the weapons a lot more than older ones did.

I'd actually bet that the geometry of the older games actually is a lot tighter if for no other reason than to keep framerates up on hardware that had a pathetically small amount of vram by limiting the amount of stuff that has to be drawn (and simplifying the lighting). I did a little bit of (very bad) Quake mapping back in the day and it's amazing how much better that game ran on contemporaneous hardware the smaller the rooms were.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    There's something adorrifying about seeing a cacodemon swell up and explode.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Do keep in mind that those older games were built when everybody was using 4:3 CRT monitors. At modern resolutions, you're going to get unexpected changes to the depth of field for those older games, which is going to make things feel tighter and more constricted than games designed to run at a minimum of 1920x1080.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Anyone playing UT99 make sure to use this.

august on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_0G6WPuss4

Still my favorite UT99 map after all these years. I remember starting that map with no other players and just stare at that skybox. Now everything is about realism and grit and the horrors of war. Why can't things just be nonsense fun on an arena orbiting around the Earth?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Still my favorite UT99 map after all these years. I remember starting that map with no other players and just stare at that skybox. Now everything is about realism and grit and the horrors of war. Why can't things just be nonsense fun on an arena orbiting around the Earth?

There was a ut 2004 mod that gave you a grappling hook, and I have sweet sweet memories of using that to swing underneath the entirety of that level.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oh man, I absolutely loved the shit out of Assault mission types. Overlord, that one with the trucks, so many good times, but finding a well balanced set of teams for AS-Sunspire was a good way to have me playing there for hours.

Breaching a checkpoint felt good. Breaching multiple checkpoints in a 'don't kill them so they can't respawn in front of me, OH FUCK I'M DEEP BEHIND ENEMY LINES RIGHT NOW' was so very exhilarating.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Halo still says hello.

(I used it specifically, because it's a war story where you still run down the side mile-long alien war robot capable of faster-than-light travel.)

DF did a couple of design/tech looks in less than a week that are kind of interesting, first on changes compared to the first one and then on how the new Id Tech is shaping up. They would probably qualify as "spoilers" in the sense that "They show gameplay" if that's something you want to avoid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABlxGjNDZeU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCOklD_PVLo

Synthesis on
  • Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    They spoil a neat game play segment that would have been cool to see while playing the game. But since all the footage out there is just from the first 3 or so hours of the game, I could only imagine what other stuff they put in there. As ravenous as I am for info on this game I think I have to go dark until I get my hands on it.

JMan711 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

I remember that map, rushing up in the teleporter to grab the sniper rifle up on the roof of each tower. Trying to push over the middle, hiding in that little back section and then popping out to ambush other peoples pushes.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    The real test of skill is getting the Redeemer and trying to actually kill people with the thing in such a big ass open map. Real pro shit.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    The real test of skill is getting the Redeemer and trying to actually kill people with the thing in such a big ass open map. Real pro shit.

Dodging AA fire like it was the middle of a world war, that's for damned sure.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    So I finally beat doom 2016, read the lore regarding the elemental wraiths and had a horrible thought.
    Are they gonna make the backstory of the doom Slayer that he was the betrayer and since the dark lords turned his son into a demon that's how they "wronged" him and that's why he's so mad all the time and wants to kill all the demons?

Because I would HATE that.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    no his backstory is he took a lot of drugs and got very angry

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    No his backstory is he assaulted his commanding officer after disobeying an order to fire on civilians so he was transferred to some backwater base on Mars where he spent most of his time suckin' dust and watching restricted flicks in the rec room.

• Options
    i think u mean punching turkeys (but turboly)

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    They killed his rabbit Daisy and he’s never forgiven them.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    So I finally beat doom 2016, read the lore regarding the elemental wraiths and had a horrible thought.
    Are they gonna make the backstory of the doom Slayer that he was the betrayer and since the dark lords turned his son into a demon that's how they "wronged" him and that's why he's so mad all the time and wants to kill all the demons?

Nah. That’s just to explain what happened to where he came from.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular

This is the conclusion I came to as well but the preview footage proves it not to be the case so you can basically forget about it.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Doomslayer was robbed by hell imps who stole his favorite horse and kill his wolf pup.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular

If the leaks from last year are to be believed (and some of the new footage sounds like they're at least partially true)

BFSPOILERS MAYBE BUT WHO KNOWS USE YOUR OWN DISCRETION
    The Doomslayer is the original Doomguy is and is stuck in an eternal time loop of demon slaying. He got stuck in that loop when he went down to Hell with his crew from whatever the heaven stuff in the lore is, the Sentinels? those robot angels, to fuck up some demons.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Man.

Reading some of the spoilers and seeing the trailers I got no idea what'll happen in doom eternal.

It's also very weird to say that I'm excited for the story in a doom game.

pHWHd2G.jpg