Options

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The *pop* noise when you pull a Cacodemon's eye out is hilarious every time

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    That I can't play this till after work is a nightmare to me

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    The *pop* noise when you pull a Cacodemon's eye out is hilarious every time

Also from whenever you headshot an enemy with the hardscope.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    TelMarine wrote: »
    I'd recommend not starting on Nightmare. I eventually gave up and bumped the difficulty down to Ultra Violence, and it's a night and day difference. Nightmare you will be killed in 2-3 hits by even the common melee zombies. The arachnotrons kill you very quickly too, I can't seem to dodge their projectiles. Changing the difficulty helped a lot.

Not a fan of the weak points. You don't have to utilize them, but why wouldn't you? Weak points feel like they want to force you into a specific way to deal with enemies, rather than just picking the way you want.

Ammo is VERY scarce. Gimme a backpack or something, I wanna carry some more!

Yeah, id didn't design this game as an Ubisoft sandbox "play it your way!" experience, they designed it specifically to be played a certain way. They also did the same thing for 2016, but they flubbed and made the super shotgun and rocket launcher far too useful. So that feeling that they're forcing you to deal with enemies in a certain way is absolutely correct.

There won't be a backpack, ammo and health are meant to be scarce. That's why your chainsaw auto-regens fuel.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I didn't play 2016 Doom but needed a new game (specially now) and man, this is FUN.

But also super hard. Really enjoying it though.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I only had a few minutes to play last night before bed so I played a level and a half of Doom 64. The nostalgia was overpowering.

Then I got crushed by a descending ceiling in the second level.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I am really bad about using my equipment and it is making ultra violence harder then it should be. Having said that I haven't had to retry any of the mandatory fights more then 4 or 5 times so I am still moving along pretty quickly. Three DOOM fortress is so fucking cool. I spent a good 30 minutes just walking around looking at all the Easter eggs. It has fallout stuff, elder scrolls stuff, random bits of lore from Doom, just a ton of really cool shit.
    Prohass wrote: »
    Is there a character model viewer for the enemies? Codex only has static images

@Prohass the toys you find as secrets in the levels actually unlock the character models. In the Doom fortress go to Doom Marines office and you will see some shelves with the toys on them. That is also where the weapon gallery is as well.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    ...Huh. I allowed a cacodemon to survive for more than five seconds.

Regret followed?

Goodness, they do not fuck around if you let them get started.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    ...Huh. I allowed a cacodemon to survive for more than five seconds.

Regret followed?

Goodness, they do not fuck around if you let them get started.

Even the basic marines will fuck your world up if given the chance.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    How does this run on a 1070ti?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    How does this run on a 1070ti?

I have a 2060 with things on high/ultra at 1440p.

The game has tons of hidden performance scaling as well, so you can pick a target framerate in the options and it'll do some behind the scenes stuff to keep you rolling.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Original recipe 1070 and get near constant 100+ fps on Ultra Nightmare @ 1080p.

The game includes dynamic res scaling right out of the box this time on PC, so you can pretty much guarantee a framerate, which is nice.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Oh my stars. Super Shotgun's mastery does not fuck around.

That is some utility right there.
    Consider launching yourself at an enemy who is now on fire, so they shower you with armor pickups when you shoot them. Mooks explode in showers of gore and armor, while majors can be dodged away from or shot again if they've flinched!

I've gone from never having spare armor to tripping over the stuff.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I cant buy the soundtrack?!? The fuck is this bullshit!

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Went console because I'm staring down spending the next couple weeks at my desk and the text size on console is so bad it immediately makes my head hurt trying to read anything - basically going through the intro just guessing what each new input is

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    So far, fuck Arachotron's.

But man, the addiction is real. Trying to get that perfect sequence of shoot-stagger-glory kill.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I'd recommend not starting on Nightmare. I eventually gave up and bumped the difficulty down to Ultra Violence, and it's a night and day difference. Nightmare you will be killed in 2-3 hits by even the common melee zombies. The arachnotrons kill you very quickly too, I can't seem to dodge their projectiles. Changing the difficulty helped a lot.

Not a fan of the weak points. You don't have to utilize them, but why wouldn't you? Weak points feel like they want to force you into a specific way to deal with enemies, rather than just picking the way you want.

Yeah, id didn't design this game as an Ubisoft sandbox "play it your way!" experience, they designed it specifically to be played a certain way. They also did the same thing for 2016, but they flubbed and made the super shotgun and rocket launcher far too useful. So that feeling that they're forcing you to deal with enemies in a certain way is absolutely correct.

There won't be a backpack, ammo and health are meant to be scarce. That's why your chainsaw auto-regens fuel.

Ah I didn't notice that the chainsaw regens fuel, good to know.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    I cant buy the soundtrack?!? The fuck is this bullshit!

It was supposed to come with the collector's edition, but they said it would be delayed, I assume the general soundtrack release is delayed as well.

Also, this game fucking owns.
    Started on Nightmare, almost done with Cultist Base (level 3) and I haven't turned it down yet. 1-tried the first Slayer gate without dying, and then immediately lost 3 of my 5 extra lives on the next fight after it lmao
    Cultist Base has been the first thing in the game that's really hard, I died almost 20 times on
    the outdoor fight after you cross a drawbridge, it's the first big fight after they introduce the whiplashes.
    Fuck Whiplashes and Hell Knights btw

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Whiplashes are my favorite new enemy. <3

Hellknights I haven't really seen much of because I tend to delete them with micro missiles. I just refuse to let them exist.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

They specifically talked about this in several interviews. The fact that a super shotgun to the chest was the magic puzzle piece was a major mistake in their eyes. They talked about how when they saw someone engaging with the game on that level they had fallen out of the "fun zone". It's really clear that early on in Eternal they are going to force you to play the way the game was designed to be played, or you're going to be swimming upstream basically.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    Just finished the first level.

I hate pretty much every change thus far.

Obviously I'm going to continue, but this is a really bad first impression.

what don't you like about it? I think it's good as hell

One of the things I disliked a lot - which I've since adjusted to - was that melee did next to no damage. One of my favorite parts of 2016 was that if you learned enemy health pool thresholds, you could melee into an auto glory kill. That's WAY harder now, but thankfully Blood Punch alleviates that.

I dislike the third person camera shifts. It's ironic, because hours in 2020 Doomguy has less personality than what his 2016 iteration established in the first few minutes of gameplay, despite having a more 'cinematic' attempt at presenting him.

I hate, hate, hate the excessive tutorializing of mechanics instead of organically teaching you how they work, reaching its personal snapping point with the Doom Hunter encounter - a boss that the level has spent half its time building up, has an intimidating intro cutscene ... and the instant the fight starts, a pop-up tells you exactly how to defeat the boss, along with a fucking movie showing it.

At that point I actually threw up my hands and had to go into the menus looking for a way to turn off tutorials, which thankfully there was, but it's awful that it should even get to that point.
    Like for real, its power-up sequence shows it having a glowing blue shield. The level has been teaching you with shield mobs, and the carcasses, that plasma gun overload shields. This would be an excellent point to reward players who have been paying attention to visual cues - a potentially satisfying moment. It's game design 101.

And then it straight up tells you to use your plasma gun in a pop-up. Fuck off.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

They specifically talked about this in several interviews. The fact that a super shotgun to the chest was the magic puzzle piece was a major mistake in their eyes. They talked about how when they saw someone engaging with the game on that level they had fallen out of the "fun zone". It's really clear that early on in Eternal they are going to force you to play the way the game was designed to be played, or you're going to be swimming upstream basically.

I mean Doom1 and Doom2 are basically "keep using the shotgun/super shotgun unless told otherwise" but there are plenty of times where you can change it up too. It's strange for them to be forceful about it...what makes some games so great is that you can open it up passed what the developers intended or not.

Anyway, I wanna say some good things because I usually find myself focusing on what I don't like. The environments are really really impressive to look at. I'm not sure if the levels are basically "create a giant model in 3ds max/maya/autodesk/whatever modeling program and import" but damn, really cool. I like the Blood Punch ability a bit (I just need to remember it exists!). This makes melee a bit more interesting since I never really liked the glory kill ad nauseam approach. As much as I thought I would hate the platforming (and in the beginning was grumbling about it) and the wall grabbing non-sense, it actually isn't that bad and kinda cool in small bursts so far. With the double jump, dashing forward, ledge grabbing, and increased air control, they probably figured, why the fuck not...let's try it and honestly, it kinda works. Doom Eternal jump maps ala Half-Life 1 or some defrag maps would work well, in my opinion, separate from the main game. Make it like those Slayer Gates, an optional challenge.

Speaking of Slayer Gate, I also didn't get the key after beating the first 1. I guess you have to complete it in a certain time or something?

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Anyone running this with a Ryzen 2600? I know it meets the minimum, I'm just curious how minimum that is.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    So I do feel like the ammo limit is problematic in combination with the relatively slow weapon/mod change speeds. Enemies are damn fast this time around and it's extremely easy to be maneuvering and end up turning a corner right into an enemy, at which point they will hammer you with a melee attack and you're stuck between weapons or mods. I know there's an upgrade to improve switch speed, but I already feel like whatever speed upgrade that is should be the standard switch speed if we're really supposed to be juggling weapons constantly.

On top of that, I want there to be a workhorse weapon. Yeah, the prior game had some balance issues, but now I can't use any weapon reliably. That magnifies the switch speed issue considerably, since I'm constantly switching weapons for simple lack of ammo because having every weapon specialize in something means none of them are solid across the board. My number one cause of death is just getting dogpiled because I'm stuck weapon switching due to low or no ammo, without something decently meaty to just keep shit off of me in the first place.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    You're not alone Dac. I also feel like the game is... less polished and cohesive a package, in terms of how it's presenting the narrative. The first game drew me in also immediately, made me want to understand the new world I'd been dropped into. So far this game hasn't gripped me the same way. I understood what was going on in 2016 almost immediately. 2020 feels all over the place.

It's funny that the most engaging parts of Doom, for me, have become the lore and the story, but there you go.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

I mean Doom1 and Doom2 are basically "keep using the shotgun/super shotgun unless told otherwise" but there are plenty of times where you can change it up too. It's strange for them to be forceful about it...what makes some games so great is that you can open it up passed what the developers intended or not.

It's not strange though. Players have this idea that they should be able to do things however they want, but in reality almost no game is actually this way. Especially not tight experiences that are trying to craft a very specific flow and tenor. I used Bloodborne as a great example in another thread. Technically you can play that game very defensively, like many people play it's predecessor Dark Souls...but the game really tries to force you out of that. That's not the way the game was designed to be played.

The new Doom's are not designed to be played with one or two weapon. The fact that 2016 allowed it was seen as a design flaw by id themselves. They clearly went all out to make sure it doesn't happen in Eternal. I think Jungle said it earlier, these are not Ubisoft open world games. They are tight, crafted experiences meant to force you to engage with the combat chess on the terms the game lays out. The player expression is in how they move about that chess board.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Well, hell. If you really do want a standout workhorse weapon, the Super Shotgun now allows you to fly and provides unparalleled sustain.

Add some dash recharge and time slow or air control runes and you're cooking with chainsaw.

The Dev's answer to a powerful Super Shotgun was not to nerf the shotgun, they just made everything about using it much more engaging. Movement is your primary weapon now.

Its Tribes, right? But with demons and less skiing.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Wait, your chainsaw regens fuel? I keep getting a message that it's out f fuel and it never seems to get more unless I find a can of gas

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    You regen 1 pip of fuel. Like the previous, bigger enemies require more bar, which means hunting for those cans.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Wait, your chainsaw regens fuel? I keep getting a message that it's out f fuel and it never seems to get more unless I find a can of gas

It sure does. The first pip is on a fairly short timer, so you can reliably hack mooks several times per arena. Bonus points awarded for setting them on fire first. You can watch the icon fill up as you fight!

Only majors require extra fuel. I pretty well never use the chainsaw on them, since I'm free to mag dump on demand.

I do, however, wish I could speed up the chainsaw animation. It is insufficiently fast, and I must go faster.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    This game is fucking awesome so far.

• Options

It's not strange though. Players have this idea that they should be able to do things however they want, but in reality almost no game is actually this way. Especially not tight experiences that are trying to craft a very specific flow and tenor. I used Bloodborne as a great example in another thread. Technically you can play that game very defensively, like many people play it's predecessor Dark Souls...but the game really tries to force you out of that. That's not the way the game was designed to be played.

The new Doom's are not designed to be played with one or two weapon. The fact that 2016 allowed it was seen as a design flaw by id themselves. They clearly went all out to make sure it doesn't happen in Eternal. I think Jungle said it earlier, these are not Ubisoft open world games. They are tight, crafted experiences meant to force you to engage with the combat chess on the terms the game lays out. The player expression is in how they move about that chess board.

I wasn't even thinking of ubisoft open world games, I was thinking of the original Doom games. The shotguns happen to become the main used weapons, but the others have uses too. Maybe you need more damage, or fast attack with stun, or sudden bursts of huge damage, killing large groups of weak enemies quickly, depending on the situation your facing. Or you can be a G and just use the shotgun for everything (or chainsaw!). Up to you. Here, it takes 3 rockets to kill a cacodemon but sticky bomb nets you the glory kill easily, which I find weak but it is what it is.

• Options
    I forgot to mention the location damage modeling (or whatever you wanna call it) on monsters is really awesome. Like Raven's old GHOUL but ratcheted up 100x detail.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Got my first chance at playing and oohhhh wow I am rusty.

It doesn't help that they changed some of the key bindings from 2016 and this seems to be thing that messes with me most. I'm still mashing 2016 keys on occasion and not getting the desired results.

Also, needed to take a break from playing. Game is INTENSE.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    What on Earth is happening in the second level of this game

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    Well, hell. If you really do want a standout workhorse weapon, the Super Shotgun now allows you to fly and provides unparalleled sustain.

Add some dash recharge and time slow or air control runes and you're cooking with chainsaw.

The Dev's answer to a powerful Super Shotgun was not to nerf the shotgun, they just made everything about using it much more engaging. Movement is your primary weapon now.

Eh, the range on the Super Shotty is too short to be a workhorse. Don't get me wrong, I love the shit out of it (meathook with airborne bullet time is a blast), but even with a couple ammo upgrades I get a measly ten shots out of the thing. Just not enough range or ammo to be a workhorse.
    Its Tribes, right? But with demons and less skiing.

I dunno about less skiing. The "speed boost from glory kill" is a massive speed boost and I've definitely launched myself out of a fight at least a dozen times so far. Not surprisingly, Doomguy has the torque to go 0-60 in less than a second, but his cornering needs some work.

• Options
    edited March 2020

I wasn't even thinking of ubisoft open world games, I was thinking of the original Doom games. The shotguns happen to become the main used weapons, but the others have uses too. Maybe you need more damage, or fast attack with stun, or sudden bursts of huge damage, killing large groups of weak enemies quickly, depending on the situation your facing. Or you can be a G and just use the shotgun for everything (or chainsaw!). Up to you. Here, it takes 3 rockets to kill a cacodemon but sticky bomb nets you the glory kill easily, which I find weak but it is what it is.

If you watch speedrunners with Doom 2016, the most powerful combos are the weapon swaps. I.e. gauss/rocket/nade/2shotty with super quick swaps between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72S2aAxtZOs&amp;t=2s

That gameplay looks 10 times as fun as just sticking to a single gun for 80% of the game.

A lot of those players are doing ESDF instead of WASD for the extra buttons to the left of the arrow keys.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    If you find yourself hurting for ammo, don't be stingy with the chainsaw. The last pip refills on its own, and most encounters will deliberately filter in low level trash mobs as chainsaw fodder.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow