As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Completely original [Chat] about beloved childhood books.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @Jubal77 you might enjoy this and help you get a little out of your funk.

Stevie Salas reveals the unsung contributions of Native American musicians to rock history

Like this was fascinating and a good listen.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Saw this posted today by a buddy of mine. This very much reminded me of my conversations about the need for god with @spool32 . Hit pretty much right on the money on a lot of my base belief system.

This is a little spoilery for Rick and Morty if you haven't seen it. And if you haven't seen Rick and Morty, you should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez1rWBPznEc&feature=share

That was a cool video

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    -
    zepherin wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    hWZ9IBJl.jpg
    even i cannot understand how this passes as a breakfast

This is dessert

I'm taking a stand because words have meanings
    Breakfast
    noun
    1.the first meal of the day; morning meal:

ITS FRIED CAKE UNDER A LITERAL PILE OF SUGAR

IM GOING TO FIGHT POSTMODERNISM
    It was the first meal of the day, by definition that is breakfast,

Also
    Fried cake under liquid sugar

Perfect-Pancakes_boraz0.jpg
    Checkmate Athiests

Sorry I've been radicalized by this whole issue and I'm turning to violence to enforce my views on what is s legitimate definition of breakfast

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    I OWN TOO MANY THINGS AND MY LIFE AND MIND ARE AS CLUTTERED AS MY ROOM

meditate.

okay but that won't declutter my room and possessions

Have you read that decluttering book? By the Japanese author

Yes my suggestion is buy yet another thing to help you manage your things :p

yes i have read it

i half did it once before i moved but not full on

i do fold my shirts her way tho, it's very nice

i just need to get rid of things but i keep being too lazy or overwhelmed to tackle it

there's stuff of value i want to get rid of that feels dumb to throw away and not sell and get some money out of

but selling things is a whole thing

poo
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I will say, I think Apo keeps asking because the responses to his questions have been confused, incoherent, inconsistent, and unsatisfying, specifically in this area.

I have seen many discussions on this point and never grasped the argument of the side I myself tend to be politically aligned with.

What happens is the discussion starts, and work or time zones intervene, and it is not satisfactorily concluded

I think there is probably a nugget of thought on cultural appropriation that I agree with wholeheartedly, but I think there is a lot that I probably am not willing to align with (I've mentioned recently that I've been thinking of buying some keffiyehs, and have as a result fallen down a weird hole of this stuff that has mostly left me confused).
    Appropriate away. I'm kind of down with cultural appropriation, it is often how we get new and interesting takes on things. It's also how we got modern BBQ.

You can have cultural exchange without being appropriative; the issue isn't that modern BBQ exists, but that presumably the originating culture hasn't received just compense for their contribution to the greater BBQ zeitgeist.

what would just compense entail?

EDIT: like, wide recognition of the history, or something else?

That, and full social, political, and economic justice.

that's... a lot to put on modern BBQ to be beholden to.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Someone reboot Cass, she's been running the esports program too long.

Done.

96799269aa277647abe3b6d3264947b2--cassandra-cain-black-bat.jpg
    For those who don't know that's New 52's Cassandra Cain.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I heard someone disparage Cafe du Monde and came as quickly as I could to fite motherfuckers

Try me

On that diet of beignets can you fight a bad cold

I have the immune system of 13 years in an ER

I can shake off the Black Plague with two ibuprofen and a bottle of Gatorade

This is something I miss from my pharmacy days. An immune system wrought out of steel and carved out of granite.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Thanks @Mazzyx ill watch it a bit later.

Also sorry for the sads. The weekend is here and I will get to go home to lady jubs here in a few hours so yay!

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    There are no bad sandwiches, just bad sandwich ingredients

Like ham, or american cheese

• Options
    Like the fact the sound of an entire generation of what consider guitar greats was influence/created by a Native American both made me sad I didn't know that and is also awesome.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    100 people were in line for a new chik fil a opening. That just makes me sad.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I actually don't understand how Vanguard can write long posts about using other's work without attribution and also attacking cultural appropriation.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Isn't that the first one in Seattle?

• Options

Is a grilled cheese a sandwich? Because American Cheese is required for those.

• Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I heard someone disparage Cafe du Monde and came as quickly as I could to fite motherfuckers

Try me

On that diet of beignets can you fight a bad cold

I have the immune system of 13 years in an ER

I can shake off the Black Plague with two ibuprofen and a bottle of Gatorade

This is something I miss from my pharmacy days. An immune system wrought out of steel and carved out of granite.

to me this sounds like "it's nice I never break bones anymore because I have broken them fifty-seven times"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Pony wrote: »
    Ironically, shemaghs have become really popular with grunting, shitheaded dudebros, racist dickbags, and Trump supporters

not out of solidarity with middle eastern cultures or anything, but because they see bearded sleeveless spec-for operator guys that they idolize wearing them. There's a specific look that has come to typify the American soldier in the Iraq and Afghanistan conflict (and all the fucked up stuff that goes along with that) and it's basically this guy:

606af94a105f10dbeef22f33114672b1.jpg

See that shemagh he's wearing around his neck? Yeah, a lot of American and other allied soldiers started wearing those in Iraq and Afghanistan for a variety of different reasons (they're practical, for one thing) and because these ding dongs see these totally bad ass dudes wearing them, they want to wear them too. Totally ignoring the cultural context of why, or the original culture they came from, or whatever.

In one of those shitty DayZ clone games that my brother plays, the shemagh is just called an "Operator Scarf". Y'know, it's just that cool scarf that operator dudes wear!

lordie...

the people wearing them as a political statement don't really have much to do with the original culture they came from either, I suppose. Mainly because there isn't a the original culture with them being so widespread back into the region's prehistory.

Also yeah I guess shemagh is the more common term for it if it's via the military vector.

Do you think that there's a meaningful difference between an Arab person wearing one and a literal occupying soldier or a copy-cat, though?

TL DR on
  • Options
    There are chik fil a's in sea town now?

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Ironically, shemaghs have become really popular with grunting, shitheaded dudebros, racist dickbags, and Trump supporters

not out of solidarity with middle eastern cultures or anything, but because they see bearded sleeveless spec-for operator guys that they idolize wearing them. There's a specific look that has come to typify the American soldier in the Iraq and Afghanistan conflict (and all the fucked up stuff that goes along with that) and it's basically this guy:

See that shemagh he's wearing around his neck? Yeah, a lot of American and other allied soldiers started wearing those in Iraq and Afghanistan for a variety of different reasons (they're practical, for one thing) and because these ding dongs see these totally bad ass dudes wearing them, they want to wear them too. Totally ignoring the cultural context of why, or the original culture they came from, or whatever.

In one of those shitty DayZ clone games that my brother plays, the shemagh is just called an "Operator Scarf". Y'know, it's just that cool scarf that operator dudes wear!

lordie...

the people wearing them as a political statement don't really have much to do with the original culture they came from either, I suppose. Mainly because there isn't a the original culture with them being so widespread back into the region's prehistory.

Also yeah I guess shemagh is the more common term for it if it's via the military vector.

I think that's one of the more interesting parts of the thing, to me, because you end up with a lot of cultural claims on what turns out to be a big cotton square. Some of the patterns can have meaning, but the understanding of it as a thing is slightly broader... despite the fact that I'm pretty sure something like it was the first thing that came out of a loom.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    ARE pancakes a cake??

When I make pancakes they have no sugar in them and I don't eat them with syrup really

they are more just fried bread
    They are cakes. Not all cakes have sugar in them. Think Funnel cakes

• Options
    I never get sick anymore

oh, why

because everything that lays men low has hit me at one point

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Oh no chat is having a respectful serious discussion everybody please arm yourselves with your dankest memes and highest quality shitposts and fire at will

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I want to purge my clothes, but I cannot figure out where to locally donate clothes so some of my unwanted clothes have been hanging out in a trashbag forever and it's sort of blocking my ability to get rid of more clothes

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    -
    TTODewback wrote: »
    hWZ9IBJl.jpg
    even i cannot understand how this passes as a breakfast

This is dessert

I'm taking a stand because words have meanings
    Breakfast
    noun
    1.the first meal of the day; morning meal:

ITS FRIED CAKE UNDER A LITERAL PILE OF SUGAR

IM GOING TO FIGHT POSTMODERNISM
    It was the first meal of the day, by definition that is breakfast,

Also
    Fried cake under liquid sugar

Perfect-Pancakes_boraz0.jpg
    Checkmate Athiests

Sorry I've been radicalized by this whole issue and I'm turning to violence to enforce my views on what is s legitimate definition of breakfast
    You go burn the town down I'm going to eat Pancakes and beignets.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Someone reboot Cass, she's been running the esports program too long.

I AM ESPORTS

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    I want to purge my clothes, but I cannot figure out where to locally donate clothes so my unwanted clothes have been hanging out in a trashbag forever and it's sort of blocking my ability to get rid of more clothes

Are there no donation bins near any malls?

• Options

lordie...

There's a meani

lordie...

Do you think that there's a meaningful difference between an Arab person wearing one and a literal occupying soldier or a copy-cat, though?

copy-cat of the soldiers or?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

you've obviously not had grilled cheese with good cheddar, or gruyere, or brie

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Bongo hissed today and he has a giant monster head so his hisses are 4x as scary as Wriggly hisses

this cat is 10 pounds but 5 of them are his giant gremlin face

• Options
    I never get sick anymore

oh, why

because everything that lays men low has hit me at one point

7479183753dac6edb5ed84902ec5de2dac38bc96.gif

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I want to purge my clothes, but I cannot figure out where to locally donate clothes so my unwanted clothes have been hanging out in a trashbag forever and it's sort of blocking my ability to get rid of more clothes

Are there no donation bins near any malls?

I haven't seen any! And there's no goodwill or anything near me, I think...? I've looked before and haven't come up with a good solution.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »

You can do grilled cheese with cheddar if you shred it first.

The increased surface area results in a more stable melting/emulsion.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Link Wray aka inventor of the power cord

MI0001632934.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

This man was Shawnee. And basically influenced the entire late 60's early 70's musical scene, the Punk scene, and basically everything afterwards.

And I didn't know.

And I was like, this is cool.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

Isn't that the first one in Seattle?

Nah this was in totem lake which is so far east of seattle for people who live in seattle it might as well be spokane. But its not even the first one in the state.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

lordie...

I think that's one of the more interesting parts of the thing, to me, because you end up with a lot of cultural claims on what turns out to be a big cotton square. Some of the patterns can have meaning, but the understanding of it as a thing is slightly broader... despite the fact that I'm pretty sure something like it was the first thing that came out of a loom.

"[ancient aramaic curse] I am so fucking sick of this fucking sand in my mouth"

"I've got some great news for you"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    I've now searched several french dip recipes.

hmm, maybe...

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I want to purge my clothes, but I cannot figure out where to locally donate clothes so some of my unwanted clothes have been hanging out in a trashbag forever and it's sort of blocking my ability to get rid of more clothes

Is there not a goodwill near you?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Your link is broken.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Oh I'm slow, sorry

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I will say, I think Apo keeps asking because the responses to his questions have been confused, incoherent, inconsistent, and unsatisfying, specifically in this area.

I have seen many discussions on this point and never grasped the argument of the side I myself tend to be politically aligned with.

What happens is the discussion starts, and work or time zones intervene, and it is not satisfactorily concluded

I think there is probably a nugget of thought on cultural appropriation that I agree with wholeheartedly, but I think there is a lot that I probably am not willing to align with (I've mentioned recently that I've been thinking of buying some keffiyehs, and have as a result fallen down a weird hole of this stuff that has mostly left me confused).
    Appropriate away. I'm kind of down with cultural appropriation, it is often how we get new and interesting takes on things. It's also how we got modern BBQ.

You can have cultural exchange without being appropriative; the issue isn't that modern BBQ exists, but that presumably the originating culture hasn't received just compense for their contribution to the greater BBQ zeitgeist.

what would just compense entail?

EDIT: like, wide recognition of the history, or something else?

That, and full social, political, and economic justice.

that's... a lot to put on modern BBQ to be beholden to.

It's not on BBQ, it's on white hegemony with the context of BBQ being just one more thing

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    do it wrong and you'll have ice inside your face cover and it's touching your cheeks and your face will turn black and fall off

I

I don't want my face to fall off

This discussion has been closed.