Options

STEAMY SUMMER

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Left 4 Dead 3
    Yeah, according to the Oral History of Tales From the Borderlands, that game is considered a flop internally by Telltale, which is crazy.

(Everyone who worked on it loved it, though.)

sig.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar
    Hey y'all.

Evil Within 2 is surprisingly good.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/YHf7e67T54Y

the next TF2 update being set in an Abandoned Loot Factory seems on the nose

huh, is this the first time we've seen Saxton Hale's model?

(I haven't kept up with the game at all)

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Lar Lar Lar
    https://youtu.be/YHf7e67T54Y

the next TF2 update being set in an Abandoned Loot Factory seems on the nose

huh, is this the first time we've seen Saxton Hale's model?

(I haven't kept up with the game at all)

Yes. Officially at least, there's been a community made model, voice acting, and game mode to go with it for years.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Sorce wrote: »
    Yeah, according to the Oral History of Tales From the Borderlands, that game is considered a flop internally by Telltale, which is crazy.

what

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Portal 3
    Honestly, I prefer the Telltale movies/stories over their old point-and-click games.
    The worst part of the Sam and Max games was walking around trying to find object A to rub on object B, and then they threw that out for turn-the-page-when-you-hear-the-sound/QTEs and more emphatic stories. And so the games became more entertaining and less game.
    And I'm fine with that.

Sometimes the 'branching tree' storylines fall a little flat though when the main story arc forces something to happen completely irrespective of and in direct contradiction to whatever choice you make.
    I mean the central conceit is that all the branching paths go through the same six episodes anyway, but.

Prime example would be the Walking Dead.
    You drop an object in a hole. It is not an important object. There are zombies in the hole.
    I picked the "who cares about the object in the hole" dialog.
    Apparently one of the NPCs decided to get ate anyway.
    So what was the point of me saying anything.

You are also forced to lie to a character because you say you're going to do something but then the protagonist never has the chance to action it.

BTTF and Borderlands were fun watches though where I didn't come across any of that and I should bust out Monkey Island from my backlog.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I theoretically like the Telltale games but haven't finished one since TWD. I end up just wanting them to be over

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Left 4 Dead 3
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »

what
    I think it's because it didn't push enough units compared to their big hitters.
    Tales was my life for two years, and internally it was perceived as a failure. Critically it was a huge success, but from a sales and production standpoint, it wasn’t awesome.

Link.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Portal 3
    Yeah I can imagine when you're making Game of Thrones tie-in money, Borderlands money isn't really comparable.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Portal 3
    I bought myself plunkbat on the grounds of I got a job and I deserve it

My second round (duo) was my best so far, got two kills and made it to #4 before someone gave me a grenade present

Just now I died about thirty seconds after landing when I got beaten to death by some dude in his underpants and a welding helmet

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Left 4 Dead 3
    New IGN Humble Bundle is up, the Down Under Bundle, all games from Australian developers.
    Pay What You Want: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, Screencheat, Hand of Fate, and Satellite Reign + Soundtrack
    Beat The Average: Hurtworld, Hacknet + Hacknet Labyrinths DLC, and Crawl
    $12+: Armello

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    The average is currently a little over 3 bucks and I'd say if it interests you at all Hacknet + DLC is totally worth 3 bucks. Hand of Fate is good too.

Does anyone have any opinions on Armello?

• Options
    Lar Lar Lar
    Apparently Visceral Games got shut down by EA and Amy Hennig’s Star Wars game is getting retooled from a linear story driven single player game to something players can “come back and enjoy for a long time to come” (aka microtransaction or lootbox to death).

https://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-visceral-games-1819623990

Fuck you ea.

• Options
    Lar Lar Lar
    I am the slowest.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar
    I was sort of surprised when we didn't hear anything about that Star Wars game earlier this year

I guess this explains that

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Portal 3
    Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design.

100 STORMTROOPERS ARE LOADED ONTO AN X-WING AND DROPPED ON TO DAGOBAH IN A FREE FOR ALL BATTLE ROYALE

• Options
    Lar Lar Lar
    Real bummer though, I can't imagine whatever they come up with will be better than an story focused action adventure game headed by Amy Hennig, I was looking forward to it

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It'll be nice when everything AAA is full of multiplayer and loot boxes so I can just ignore everything in that entire arena and put my attention onto developers who are allowed to make games that are fun and have a purpose beyond simply making shitloads of money.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Real bummer though, I can't imagine whatever they come up with will be better than an story focused action adventure game headed by Amy Hennig, I was looking forward to it

Yeah, this combined with that new Bioware game really makes EA feel like they're desperately chasing after the profits that other people have already made

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    If I was a huge star wars nerd (as opposed to regular run of the mill nerd), I may be a bit more miffed that that EA still has the exclusive license for several more years yet. As it is, considering the titles they've released under the deal are the DICE Battlefront games (and TOR, I guess), which I don't care for at all, meh.

Still some horseshit though, and Visceral didn't need to die for it.

• Options
    Lar Lar Lar
    Battlefront is fine

But also I would have liked a narrative focused game

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I am the slowest.

like Visceral games, it seems!

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    AAAgame dev is a fools game

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Portal 3
    AAAgame dev is a fools game

then you'd think Randy Pitchford would be better at it

• Options
    Fools and charlatans are different!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Nintendo seems like the only AAA company that is in any kind of good place without relying on that sorta stuff

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Nintendo seems like the only AAA company that is in any kind of good place without relying on that sorta stuff

It's Nintendo. In five years when everyone else has stopped doing loot boxes they'll be starting to spin theirs up.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar
    Aistan wrote: »

It's Nintendo. In five years when everyone else has stopped doing loot boxes they'll be starting to spin theirs up.

shut up shut up shut up don't jinx us like that

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    The narrative around “is Nintendo doing well” was a lot different pre-switch, with the failure of the wii u conspicuously timed with entering the mobile market.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    The fractured but whole came out today.

I enjoyed the first, despite its faults, and I watched a lets play of the new game's beginning, and it seems interesting.
    Not quite 80$ interesting though. Probably wait until it's on sale before going for it.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Aistan wrote: »

More like ten to fifteen

• Options
    Lar Lar Lar
    Nintendo is probably already making more money off of Fire Emblem Heroes than literally everything else they are involved in

• Options
    Lar Lar Lar
    Dead Space is one of my favorite games.

Everyone go back and play Dead Space again and pour one out for Visceral.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Nintendo is probably already making more money off of Fire Emblem Heroes than literally everything else they are involved in

gatcha games are pretty much "loot box, the game" aren't they?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Lar Lar Lar
    Pretty much

Even playing it for free largely involves doing things to get the currency by playing the game so you can turn the crank on the gachapon

Maddoc on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    you know, i have a crazy idea.

what if, instead of spending the gdp of a small nation to make a product that keeps to make all the money, they make like 4 smaller games that need only to make half of the money? wouldn't that be novel.

what? you're going to spend two years and a half a billion dollars to develop a game on a new engine instead? okay.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Portal 3
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    The average is currently a little over 3 bucks and I'd say if it interests you at all Hacknet + DLC is totally worth 3 bucks. Hand of Fate is good too.

Does anyone have any opinions on Armello?

Armello is a good game.

The devs think it's more interesting or replayable than it actually is - they keep releasing waves of cosmetic stuff and additional characters - but it's pretty entertaining to have a run at once in a while.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    Melding wrote: »
    you know, i have a crazy idea.

what if, instead of spending the gdp of a small nation to make a product that keeps to make all the money, they make like 4 smaller games that need only to make half of the money? wouldn't that be novel.

what? you're going to spend two years and a half a billion dollars to develop a game on a new engine instead? okay.

LARA CROFT'S HAIR STRANDS NEED TO BE INDIVIDUALLY MODELED

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.