Options

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Any opinions on must have expansions for Kingdom Death Monster?

Here's a pretty good write up from BGG
    Gorm

The Gorm expansion adds a new quarry. A quarry is a monster you can hunt for resources – the core game has three quarries (the lion, antelope and phoenix). Notably, the gorm is unlocked in year one, the only expansion that unlocks at the start of the campaign. It offers some variety from lion hunts and some new gear. This gear is pretty excellent and also boosts weapon types that are somewhat neglected by the core game, such as clubs, and adds an early-game shield. The Gorm showdowns and gear also scale very well – each level of gorm is notably different and higher level gorms are needed to craft some very, very powerful gear added by this expansion. The armour set is also the only armour that scales - you can make it more powerful in (and for) the late game.

The Gorm also adds its own special set of innovations that you can develop in parallel to your main tech tree which let you roll on a table and craft various powerful potions - I've heard it described as a sort of gear-crafting minigame.

Model-wise, this expansion includes the Gorm itself, who is pretty big and incredibly ugly. It’s one of the most challenging models in KDM in that it can look incredibly creepy or just stupid depending on how you paint it. It also includes four models of survivors wearing the Gorm’s armour and modular weapons, which generally have a gross, organic look to them.

Dragon King

This is one of two hug expansions that adds a variant campaign and a new, late-game quarry. Note that these are separate - you can add the Dragon-as-quarry to a core campaign or you play the People of the Stars campaign. The Dragon King is a challenging quarry that occasionally fires a nuclear explosion at you, drips lava everywhere and might punch you into space but while the gear is by no means bad (I quite like the armour set) it’s not particularly special or noteworthy. It unlocks in year 8.

The variant campaign it adds (with a different storyline, events, Innovations, a campaign-exclusive Nemesis and final boss) is an absolute blast. It's called People of the Stars. Without spoilers, I will say it’s all about making superpowered survivors and it’s really, really cool. I'm currently 80% of the way through such a campaign (I've got a thread in the Sessions board but fair warning, it is very spoiler heavy).

It also adds a lot of models – a huge dragon, a smug-looking Tyrant Nemesis, the Dragon Armour kit (multipart, as with all previous kits) and two ‘People of the Stars’ models (with campaign-specific weapons compatible with all multkits)

Sunstalker

The other quarry and variant campaign expansion. The sunstalker gives some of the absolute best gear in the game, though it’s certainly a challenging fight. It has a unique mechanic based around light and shadow – the sunstalker is a light source and sometimes that light burns. And sometimes the sunstalker summons your own shadow to fight you. It unlocks in year 8.

The variant campaign is quite different to the core – some of the things survivors can do are entirely replaced and instead of regular nemesis encounters throughout the timeline you have twenty years of uninterrupted hunting… followed by a five year gauntlet of nemeses (and a single loss to any nemesis ends your campaign).There are also campaign-specific events, locations and gear (as with the Dragon King).

The Sunstalker is a huge model but it’s a bit odd-looking. Some people have painted it very well. This set also comes with two People of the Sun models (with campaign-specific gear) and the Cycloid Scale Armour Kit.

Dung Beetle Knight

The DBK is a late game quarry (unlocks year 8 but that's a bit early to take it on). It’s a particularly challenging fight but a rewarding one – it adds some really excellent, and unusual, gear to the game and a mechanic that lets you literally bury some gear to calcify and harden it, improving it dramatically (but you’ll need to wait a few years before digging it up). One very popular weapon from the core game (not a DBK item) can be calcified in this way with this expansion. The DBK is Poots' favourite monster (I think it’s a mix of theme and mechanics).

All three Knight expansions (DBK, Flower Knight, Lion Knight) add a new ‘tactics’ deck mechanic so they synergise well.

You get the (lovely) model DBK, his ball (it looks ridiculous but after it kills a few of your survivors you’ll stop laughing) and two survivors in his signature armour. Notably, this is the only armour kit that doesn’t have four models.

Flower Knight

The Flower Knight is a weird quarry who makes the game slightly easier. He unlocks in year 5. His rewards are unusual and his gear selection is somewhat limited because the flower resources you get for beating him rot and must be used within a year (though said gear does include the best bow in the game – seriously, this bow is insane and roughly half of why he makes the game easier). The fight is really, really interesting and makes use of terrain in an innovative way.

The Flower Knight's resources may also be consumed. They usually offer a short-term benefit and long term penalty. And they can be addictive, locking you into further Flower Knight Hunts.

The Flower Knight also adds the People of the Bloom. A mini-variant campaign, this keeps the same core timeline but the survivors are subtly different. They also get access to Flower resources (though they can't hunt the Flower Knight) and have two pieces of craftable gear that are exclusive to their campaign.

In model terms you get the Flower Knight, a strong contender for ‘most beautiful model in range’ and all of his gear (more than you’d think) to add to your armour kits, including a big model cello.

Lion Knight

A nemesis expansion (the first in this list), the Lion Knight and his attendants literally put on a deadly performance in your settlement. One of the weirdest and wackiest of all the KDM expansions (people generally seem to really dig the theme), it also adds ‘hybrid’ armour sets that really enhance the core game (they only use parts from core quarries).

Nemesis expansions all make the campaign harder but offer some form of reward to counterbalance the cruelty. For the Lion Knight, it’s not as much what you get from him (though he does give some great loot), but from his attendants setting up shop in your settlement and offering the hybrid armour sets and other, less obvious, bonuses. The expansion content starts in year 6.

The Lion Knight probably has the best narrative of any expansion besides the big alternate campaigns - moreso even than other nemeses, this expansion tells its own little story.

You get the Knight and his attendants (not everyone adds them to his base) and his specific gear (though that’s literally just masks and claws).

Manhunter

Another nemesis expansion, the manhunter turns up to fight from time and time and if you lose he enslaves your settlement (he literally starts taking your people as slaves). He does pay you, though, and it’s possible for you kill him and throw off his yoke. He first rocks up in year 5.

If you can beat him he drops some really incredible loot that will make you much better hunters. The amazing gear, new innovations and high chance of enslavement does a lot to reshape the core game and people generally recommend him very highly.

IIRC, one of his new innovations can just be added to your game decks and is very, very useful.

In model terms, like the Lion Knight you just get the nemesis and his gear to add to your kits. I’m actually quite fond of the gritty, evil cowboy look of this guy.

Slenderman

The slenderman is another nemesis that reshapes the core game considerably. He replaces one of the three original nemeses entirely (starting year 6) and replaces non-specific nemesis fights as he haunts your settlement – you’ll fight him a lot. He also adds his own, unique craftable gear (which is very interesting stuff). I won’t reveal too much about the fight but it’s quite different and reworks the way Insanity works entirely. If you like the theme, go for it. If not, cheerfully give this a miss.

Again, you get the nemesis and his gear. I adore the slenderman model (it was actually how I discovered KDM)

This is still recommended - it's the expansions below this I'd say are the ones you'll want to skip.

Lion God

The Lion God is a very, very late game quarry (it unlocks year 13, which is probably too early to go near it). It has no specific gear but a few artefacts you can get from beating it. I haven’t fought one but its main purpose seems to be as a challenge - this thing is incredibly punishing, the toughest monster in KDM (so far….) and quite possibly unbeatable at high levels. Buy this if you really like a challenge (though I wonder if some of the new expansions , like the Screaming God, may scratch this itch better, as this guy has no craftable gear and the artefacts aren’t that amazing).

You just get the titular model with this expansion, as there’s no craftable gear (and the artefacts aren’t weapons).

UPDATE: The Silver City looks to expand and hopefully improve on this expansion hugely (see below). Poots, are you reading this?

Spidicules

A quarry intended to replace the antelope (so it unlocks year 2), this expansion has several problems. The main one is that antelope parts are kinda essential to a lot of core game gear and this set doesn’t provide replacements for a lot of it. The spidicules gear is generally nothing to write home about (and the armour set, which isn’t one of the best armour sets, is the only set that requires you kill a L3 quarry). You’re punished (in a very specific way) if you win a fight against a spidicules, even at L1. To be frank, this probably is one to skip unless you’re a completionist. If you just want a few expansions, this probably isn't for you.

With the announced 1.5 changes to the Antelope, the Spidicules is now even more limiting (you can't unlock the Barber Surgeon, a great location, without the Antelope now). I'm actually wondering if this expansion may get reworked and rereleased at this point!

The model looks cool but is ridiculously impractical, so impractical you use a base (which it isn’t attached to) to show where the monster’s main body is in game. You do get a lovely set of robed survivors (Silk Armour), a naked man freaking out and six ugly-cute little Spiderlings.

UPDATE: The Spidicules is required for the Abyssal Woods campaign, a new expansion, which I suspect may integrate it better.

Lonely Tree

Generally considered the worst expansion, the Tree is not a huntable quarry or nemesis. You can randomly find a fruit that you can eat to trigger a fight with the tree. It offers very little reward (no gear) in return, so it’s only there for a fun fight. It doesn’t change or enhance your campaign much - it doesn't add any new fighting arts, disorders or anything else. Admittedly the model is pretty nice, but if you’re on any sort of budget? Skip this one for sure.

To give the Tree it's due, it was originally supposed to be a terrain expansion. Adam added a fight to it.

Green Knight Armour

This expansion is just two models (one male and one female Green Knight) and the gear cards, which tell you how to craft them. To craft this armour you need parts from all three knights (DBK, Flower Knight and Lion Knight), the Gorm expansion and the Manhunter. You also need an innovation from the Spidicules expansion (though frankly you could waive this). It’s an incredibly powerful set of kit, for sure, and incredibly hard to craft (not least because it involves adding two nemesis expansions, which is not usually recommended). It’s only worth ordering this if you already went for the prerequisite expansions and fancy a challenge – crafting this armour set is a much trickier prospect than winning the campaign. That’s why I put it last.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Here's a pretty good write up from BGG
    [snip]

That all mostly sounds like amazing DLC I would pay for in a digital release, if one existed. :(

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    Anyone willing to talk me out of buying the Expanse boardgame, Blood Rage, or Sidereal Confluence?

For what it's worth, since no one else mentioned it, Blood Rage is a pretty good game. My group only played it once, but it sits on a shelf, with sweet, solid-looking minis, ready to be played again.

I should really bring that out again at board game night this weekend.

I have played blood rage fifty times

Maybe a hundred

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

My main opinion on expansions is that the base game costs a fortune and already contains more game than you are ever likely to play.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options

My main opinion on expansions is that the base game costs a fortune and already contains more game than you are ever likely to play.

this is insanity buy all expansions every expansion they are so cool

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

There's almost no content here, but the presentation is so very much better than Space Lions Peace Turtles

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular

I have yet to fight the King's Man or the Watcher.
    But I do own the Flower Knight, the Manhunter, the Dung Beetle Knight, the Lion Knight, and the big ass dragon (scientific name). (Also I'm a crazy person)

My thing is I ended up starting like thirty million new games and then dying within like 7-10 lantern years, and so it was useful for me to have expansions that would replace either the white lion or the screaming antelope, the first two starting monsters, or the butcher, your first nemesis. That was nice to just shake up the early game a bit.

But like, I've spent over 800 dollars on this game. That's bananas.
    Absolute crazypants.

But each of the expansions is pretty good.

• Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

That video might make me buy the game. But because it's text heavy, I might wait for the french version so my kids have an easier time with it.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    Rend wrote: »

But each of the expansions is pretty good.

Lonely Tree is pretty skip-able. It is cool tho.

pic3326420_md.png

• Options
    In fairness I did specifically mean the ridiculous list I mentioned

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    Kingdom Death is out for delivery, I am beyond excited. Anyone have any tips for starting? Do I just jump in right away with my friends or will it require a sit down with the rules to figure this all out?

Either way, we'll be assembling some models on Saturday and hopefully getting into a little bit.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    El Mucho wrote: »
    Kingdom Death is out for delivery, I am beyond excited. Anyone have any tips for starting? Do I just jump in right away with my friends or will it require a sit down with the rules to figure this all out?

Either way, we'll be assembling some models on Saturday and hopefully getting into a little bit.

I recommend you play solo through through at least 2 full lantern years (tutorial fight, first home phase, first hunt, second home phase) to get the game's flow under your fingers, and make sure you reference the book HEAVILY while you do so. There are a lot of one off rules and a couple gotchas in there.

Some of them will favor you and some of them will not. But given how ridiculous the game's RNG is, if you get a bad set of rolls, the best chance you have of getting your friends not to immediately write off your several-hundreds purchase is by making the train wreck a smooth train wreck.

You can always play solo more if you want. I played many games solo before I had a group to play with, at that point you can just defer decision making to your friends to avoid quarterbacking, or offer them cryptic advice like you're a weird elder sage or some shit. But that's up to you. My opinion is that KDM as a group is a misery-loves-company situation and KDM solo is basically a roguelike. Both are great.

• Options
    Note: Those 2 lantern years will take you about 3-4 hours to play through on your first time through, so block out some time for that if you choose to take my advice.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    My expansion buying advice for KDM is to pick out expansions that can replace or be substituted for each of the base game hunts, to allow for greater variety if you end up playing it a lot.

So like, one that replaces/subs the first hunt, one that does so for the second, etc. If you really wanna go nuts, also make sure the expansions tie into one of the major expansion-expansions Poots planned where you basically buy a bunch of expansions and run them together with a completely new campaign, all for the low low cost of hundreds of dollars more.

• Options

There's like a 10 or so page tutorial part to the rule book that covers about the first lantern year (tutorial fight and settlement phase). Read that first then you can jump in with friends. After your first play, read the main body of the manual to get all the specifics.

• Options
    Do the figs require glue? Not a biggie if they do we are all Warhammer players so we have the required stuff to assemble figs, just more wondering if there will be a bit of set up and assembly before we can hit the tutorial.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Do the figs require glue? Not a biggie if they do we are all Warhammer players so we have the required stuff to assemble figs, just more wondering if there will be a bit of set up and assembly before we can hit the tutorial.

Not just glue, but you're probably going to want to do some pinning on the larger ones. The lion and antelope and Butcher you can handle with just filing and some care, though.

E: someone (maybe Rend? He'll say so if so) was planning on magnetizing theirs so you could swap gear parts dynamically. I don't know where that ended.

Auralynx on
  • Options

Yes. In fact not only do they require glue, but they are difficult to assemble. I don't know if the sprues have changed since the first edition but while the sculpts are absolutely awe inspiring the way they're given to you is pretty bad.

• Options

Yes. In fact not only do they require glue, but they are difficult to assemble. I don't know if the sprues have changed since the first edition but while the sculpts are absolutely awe inspiring the way they're given to you is pretty bad.

They've started posting assembly guides.

• Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    The biggest issue with most of them is that they are fiddly and small in a lot of cases and as of at least this last release doesn't come with any official instructions in the box.

So look here for the unofficial build guide, and here for the more recent official build guide for help.

• Options
    Awesome, thanks for the guides and tips. I've got all the equipment for pinning and dealing with fiddly models. We'll probably just throw together the stuff needed for the tutorial. Then I can play around with the rest in between sessions. One of my friends is a serial magnetizer for is Tau army so we'll maybe explore how viable that is for the gear.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

Not just glue, but you're probably going to want to do some pinning on the larger ones. The lion and antelope and Butcher you can handle with just filing and some care, though.

E: someone (maybe Rend? He'll say so if so) was planning on magnetizing theirs so you could swap gear parts dynamically. I don't know where that ended.

None of mine are pinned and they're holding up just fine. Probably wouldn't hurt tho.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

They've started posting assembly guides.

Vibrant Lantern has had assembly guides up for years (although they could be better). But the new ones that went up this month on the KD Boutique site are supposedly much better.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017

None of mine are pinned and they're holding up just fine. Probably wouldn't hurt tho.

Yeah, I tapped out once Gloomhaven arrived and was the clear favorite between the two but I had trouble imagining the Phoenix or the Lion Knight, from what I've seen of him, not needing it. If they stay, they stay!

Auralynx on
  • Options

Yeah, I tapped out once Gloomhaven arrived and was the clear favorite between the two but I had trouble imagining the Phoenix or the Lion Knight, from what I've seen of him, not needing it. If they stay, they stay!

Oh crap I forgot about the Lion Knight. He's not done yet. Yeah that may need some pinnin'

Phoenix seems pretty solid tho!

• Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Speaking of all this Kingdom Death: Monster stuff, I've blocked out some time this weekend to start assembling this beast. Wish me luck!

...also, could someone maybe send help? Like...all the help? Thanks!

Edit: I say that and then the UPS guy dropped off Gloomhaven O.O

JustTee on
    Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Holy shit, mine shipped too! I thought it wouldn't show up for months. So excited!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options

Holy shit, mine shipped too! I thought it wouldn't show up for months. So excited!

Which means... yup, they shut down the ability to get the discounted pre-order. Talk about cutting it close.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

That’s amazing. I want it so badly.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Which means... yup, they shut down the ability to get the discounted pre-order. Talk about cutting it close.

DP thank you so much!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I like Betrayal, crappy quality of the components aside. I'd be down for this.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Oh wow, my wife is going to going to freak. She loves Betrayal.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    a wild Gloomhaven appears!
    its super massive!

(honestly you all weren't kidding its such a huge box)

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options

Wow, I can't wait to completely ignore this absolutely stupid idea.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I just had a crazy idea. Instead of having the investigators be legacy, it should be the haunt that is legacy. Like, instead of a huge set of random haunts, pick a theme like a slasher. Then you get generic trope characters that are just random scrubs. Things like someone dying or triggering the haunt can permanently modify the room or add new events (this characters ghost now haunts the house!) and stuff. So basically the first game is Friday the 13th and the second is Friday the 13th II and so on. And the killer gets some new mechanics each game to add some variety. And you can add new character choices over time to represent historical developments in the horror genre! Like, you open the game 5 package and get the genre savvy investigator who knows all the horror tropes!

I think the actual game can now never live up to the one I made up in my head.

Edit: And then the instructions for Game 10 are to throw away the mansion tiles and open a package with a new set of tiles because surprise you are in Space now.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    So basically the first game is Friday the 13th and the second is...
    haw0o2uowel7.jpg

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I just had a crazy idea. Instead of having the investigators be legacy, it should be the haunt that is legacy. Like, instead of a huge set of random haunts, pick a theme like a slasher. Then you get generic trope characters that are just random scrubs. Things like someone dying or triggering the haunt can permanently modify the room or add new events (this characters ghost now haunts the house!) and stuff. So basically the first game is Friday the 13th and the second is Friday the 13th II and so on. And the killer gets some new mechanics each game to add some variety. And you can add new character choices over time to represent historical developments in the horror genre! Like, you open the game 5 package and get the genre savvy investigator who knows all the horror tropes!

I think the actual game can now never live up to the one I made up in my head.

Edit: And then the instructions for Game 10 are to throw away the mansion tiles and open a package with a new set of tiles because surprise you are in Space now.

Man... Man I want to game now

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Man I just watched the video for Twilight Imperium 4th ed and goddamn that game is my white whale. I've been wanting to play for years and while I finally have friends with the temperament for an 8 hour game, none of us have the time to actually make it happen.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981