As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

1676870727384

Posts

  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    How do y’all feel about Rutger Hauer’s performance

    My only opinion is “it is a little jarring that Xehanort suddenly is slightly European”

    6F32U1X.png
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    i will not lie, the slightly european part made me laugh a lot

    Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I think it's good but i have a hard time separating it from the old voice, which is no ones fault

    Etchwartslionheart_m
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Mr. G wrote: »
    How do y’all feel about Rutger Hauer’s performance

    My only opinion is “it is a little jarring that Xehanort suddenly is slightly European”

    I thought he was totally fine

    Like, it's not as good as Leonard Nimoy's version, but there's no one on Earth who could live up to that performance

    IKknkhU.gif
    Etchwartsmasterofmetroidlionheart_mWeedLordVegetaturtleantRadiusshoeboxjeddy
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Yeah I just can't give a fair evaluation because it's not Nimoy.

  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    It’s impossible to describe the vibe of audio in a text-only medium

    But Nimoy’s Xehanort was like graaaaah and Hauer’s is like euuuuugh

    There’s way less grumble in there but maybe you NEED the grumble

    6F32U1X.png
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I'm starting to realize KH really is just anime Star Wars.

    No that’ll be in KH4.

    t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    There is one pretty persistent question I have that kind of spans the entire series
    How fucking old is Ventus, anyway?

    He was one of the Dandelions, so old enough to be alive for the original Keyblade War, and a very experienced Keyblade user, enough so to be one of the new Union leaders. But he also apparently trained under Master Xehanort, who was already an old man at that point. So how in the world does that timeline work, where Xehanort refers to the Keyblade war as ancient history, but Ventus was around for it, and also never aged between Young Xehanort referring to the Keyblade War as history, and Old Man Xehanort becoming the Master of (still young) Ventus?

  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Javen wrote: »
    There is one pretty persistent question I have that kind of spans the entire series
    How fucking old is Ventus, anyway?

    He was one of the Dandelions, so old enough to be alive for the original Keyblade War, and a very experienced Keyblade user, enough so to be one of the new Union leaders. But he also apparently trained under Master Xehanort, who was already an old man at that point. So how in the world does that timeline work, where Xehanort refers to the Keyblade war as ancient history, but Ventus was around for it, and also never aged between Young Xehanort referring to the Keyblade War as history, and Old Man Xehanort becoming the Master of (still young) Ventus?

    Hmm...I was wondering
    Maybe there were multiple Keyblade wars. I remember Xehanhort saying something about the forces of Light and Dark clashing so many times to create the X-blade

  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    There is one pretty persistent question I have that kind of spans the entire series
    How fucking old is Ventus, anyway?

    He was one of the Dandelions, so old enough to be alive for the original Keyblade War, and a very experienced Keyblade user, enough so to be one of the new Union leaders. But he also apparently trained under Master Xehanort, who was already an old man at that point. So how in the world does that timeline work, where Xehanort refers to the Keyblade war as ancient history, but Ventus was around for it, and also never aged between Young Xehanort referring to the Keyblade War as history, and Old Man Xehanort becoming the Master of (still young) Ventus?
    I think popular theory is that he ends up in the realm of darkness somehow between the events of Union X Cross and BBS. Time doesn't pass in the realm of darkness and we don't know anything about his past from BBS other than Xehanort found him somewhere and brought him to Eraqus. Doesn't explain the supposed amnesia, though

  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    T4CT wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    There is one pretty persistent question I have that kind of spans the entire series
    How fucking old is Ventus, anyway?

    He was one of the Dandelions, so old enough to be alive for the original Keyblade War, and a very experienced Keyblade user, enough so to be one of the new Union leaders. But he also apparently trained under Master Xehanort, who was already an old man at that point. So how in the world does that timeline work, where Xehanort refers to the Keyblade war as ancient history, but Ventus was around for it, and also never aged between Young Xehanort referring to the Keyblade War as history, and Old Man Xehanort becoming the Master of (still young) Ventus?
    I think popular theory is that he ends up in the realm of darkness somehow between the events of Union X Cross and BBS. Time doesn't pass in the realm of darkness and we don't know anything about his past from BBS other than Xehanort found him somewhere and brought him to Eraqus. Doesn't explain the supposed amnesia, though
    And honestly, the same question about Ventus holds true for Larxene and Marluxia.

    I suppose it's possible all three somehow got stuck in the Realm of Darkness at some point. But we'll likely have to wait a while to know for sure, since story content for KHUX comes out at a snail's pace.

    IKknkhU.gif
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Stilts wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    There is one pretty persistent question I have that kind of spans the entire series
    How fucking old is Ventus, anyway?

    He was one of the Dandelions, so old enough to be alive for the original Keyblade War, and a very experienced Keyblade user, enough so to be one of the new Union leaders. But he also apparently trained under Master Xehanort, who was already an old man at that point. So how in the world does that timeline work, where Xehanort refers to the Keyblade war as ancient history, but Ventus was around for it, and also never aged between Young Xehanort referring to the Keyblade War as history, and Old Man Xehanort becoming the Master of (still young) Ventus?
    I think popular theory is that he ends up in the realm of darkness somehow between the events of Union X Cross and BBS. Time doesn't pass in the realm of darkness and we don't know anything about his past from BBS other than Xehanort found him somewhere and brought him to Eraqus. Doesn't explain the supposed amnesia, though
    And honestly, the same question about Ventus holds true for Larxene and Marluxia.

    I suppose it's possible all three somehow got stuck in the Realm of Darkness at some point. But we'll likely have to wait a while to know for sure, since story content for KHUX comes out at a snail's pace.
    I think there might be some weird other way of time traveling that doesn't require you to leave your body behind. At the end of 3 there's that scene of Xigbar/Luxu summoning 4 of the old Union leaders to the present day. All of them looked exactly like they did in the back cover movie. I imagine they're even older than Ventus and they're now in the present day.

    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I just beat the secret boss without much effort on Proud

    Is this game just really easy, or is my playing these games for a month finally paying off

  • IllieasIllieas Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    okay full review filled with likes, lost potential/issues, and questions

    Likes
    like the transformations.
    Movement during spell casts
    disney world are gorgeous and long and meaty
    we got the most amount of closure you can ask for
    some of the moment i wished for. the trio all reunited and paopu fruit
    apparently less full evil org members
    Holy shit the union X section it was giving off nier automata vibes
    holy shit i love the casual gear in the ending. it is the outing I hoped to see.

    lost potential/issues
    transformation were nice the differences were nice however there were some that are copies of others. hitting attraction or team attack when you just wanted to open a chest was annoying

    While the disney world were really great we are following a pattern here from FFXV. the ending rushes too much. Gathering everyone and getting the pay off are very short
    KH2 did it right where you take on organization members as you go from world to world. this one is just disney world with the villans just scene chewing and that is it. then the real meat you been going for the whole time is rush to in like 5 hours.

    You killed kairi you bastards and under utilized her. she has keyblade and was training I wanted one badass moment. Now she is just the damsel. you have 7 keyblade users i want avenger style team attacks. How did you missed that? It was in kingdom hearts 2 COMEON!!! or just give me switching to the 7 to fight off one of the 13.

    The rushing effects the organization talks as you are having these talk while you are taking one like 2 other people. you literally stop fighting to have them have their last quote. Then fighting resumes when you are done

    The ending to union cross is immediately ends with the same situation why? take away their epic moment so that yensid can have his?

    Questions
    Okay i am just missing what the hell is this waking power?

    the time travel thing is so weird and i have hard time getting the rules?

    Why did the world reset after they got heartless suck? was that a dream of what would happen? except sora died and kairi's powers aren't explained very well. How did she keep sora a blue outline?

    Why is xion on the bad guys side? Isn't she still in sora? did i miss something? how did they get her?

    Where is kairi if she isn't just dead?

    Why is sharing the paopu feed the other a different paopus? Shouldn't it be share the same ala lady and the tramp style?

    IS the girl missing axel and siax talk about ava?

    We still don't know what is in the fucking box.

    How did braig bring the foretellers back?

    What is with sora disappearing and kairi still there at the tree in the ending?

    so many questions!
    I guess next game will be going to final fantasy worlds instead. we see shibuya 104 which is the setting for The world ends with you and yosora from that fake FF verum rex.

    Overall i enjoy this game just think some more time to flesh out part would have made this from great to masterpiece.

    In a terrible version of the world is spying on you all the time. I have roku TV and you know that section in frozen's let it go my Tv recognized it and was like press * to get the movie and yeah you should not be listening to me all the time TV.

  • HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Sanctuary
    Edit: BBS is hard

    Hakunin on
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    There is one pretty persistent question I have that kind of spans the entire series
    How fucking old is Ventus, anyway?

    He was one of the Dandelions, so old enough to be alive for the original Keyblade War, and a very experienced Keyblade user, enough so to be one of the new Union leaders. But he also apparently trained under Master Xehanort, who was already an old man at that point. So how in the world does that timeline work, where Xehanort refers to the Keyblade war as ancient history, but Ventus was around for it, and also never aged between Young Xehanort referring to the Keyblade War as history, and Old Man Xehanort becoming the Master of (still young) Ventus?
    I think popular theory is that he ends up in the realm of darkness somehow between the events of Union X Cross and BBS. Time doesn't pass in the realm of darkness and we don't know anything about his past from BBS other than Xehanort found him somewhere and brought him to Eraqus. Doesn't explain the supposed amnesia, though
    And honestly, the same question about Ventus holds true for Larxene and Marluxia.

    I suppose it's possible all three somehow got stuck in the Realm of Darkness at some point. But we'll likely have to wait a while to know for sure, since story content for KHUX comes out at a snail's pace.
    I think there might be some weird other way of time traveling that doesn't require you to leave your body behind. At the end of 3 there's that scene of Xigbar/Luxu summoning 4 of the old Union leaders to the present day. All of them looked exactly like they did in the back cover movie. I imagine they're even older than Ventus and they're now in the present day.
    This gets even more complicated when you consider the fact that all the leaders look like they did in back cover but they should be completely different people because a bunch of others take over as Union leaders (including Ventus, and Ephemer, the dude who shows up right before Reaction Command City)

    Stilts
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    @Stilts remember forty years ago when I pitched that sick KH multiplayer game, are you excited for when that becomes the next game because you have to make your union member

  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I can't remember when this character first shows up so post Disney Worlds just to be safe
    Demyx is such a garbage fire of a boy I love him.

    X22wmuF.jpg
    StiltsMx. Quill
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Well I was gonna go for Ultima Weapon but I’m missing like 7 materials before I can even START to make it so neeeevermind

    6F32U1X.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Random question:

    Is it possible to fight the uber boss before beating the final boss?


    Also one thing that is really making me sad in this game is reminding me of Yakuza 6. A series that has had an arena drops the arena in the game with the coolest combat where you most want to have cool arena fights. Real sad.

    Nope. The secret boss is a product of things that only appear after you beat the game.

    Fuuuuck.

    Ok you can answer this in a spoiler if you need to but don't actually tell me any details.

    Is there some sort of story attached to it or does it make sense that fighting it takes place after the main story is over?

    Thanks in advance.
    Nope, honestly its just a really strong Heartless. Not anywhere near as cool as the Sephiroth or Terra battles
    Well fuck. That alone may honestly keep the game from reaching into my top 10. Nothing is more obnoxious to me than pointlessly placing content behind beating a game. It's just such bad design it drives me crazy. I don't know why it's become so common recently.
    nah, I actually like when they do that. What's the point of getting ultimate weapons if you don't have a place to use them besides the final boss. imho, it gives me a reason to come back and keep playing the game. but that's me.
    That doesn't change if they allow it before the end boss. That content is still available for you to play whenever you want. Nothing changes for you at all in this scenario. That's why I say it's bad design. The people who like coming back to a game after the end boss have it exactly the same either way.
    Locking it after the boss has a bunch of downsides with no actual reason or gain. It's a very silly thing to do.
    Agree to disagree. I see your point but I just think it's like the Super Mario approach to difficulty. Here's some extra stuff that isn't part of the critical path that you can attempt afterwards. I don't consider it bad design but again I respect if you like the old school approach to extra bosses.
    I don't get what you mean by agree to disagree here. What I'm suggesting changes nothing for you. So you are saying you prefer that people like me can't enjoy this extra content even though there is no further benefit to yourself? That seems like a really weird position to take. Like you're just saying "I prefer the option where you don't get to enjoy this content over the option where we both get to enjoy it"
    What I'm saying is that I don't think it's bad design at all. I don't think nothing is being cutoff. You just have to beat the endboss to see the rest of the stuff? That's all. It's just another gate. I guess I'm already used to the MMO way of stuff that's clearly "endgame" and meant to extend the life of the game. That's why I said agree to disagree, I don't think it's bad design when all it looks is just add more stuff to do after you are done with the main game.

    edit: come to think of it, it feels for me like unlocking Hunk Mode or Mercenaries in RE2 and 3 after beating the game? I mean it's not the first time games have done stuff like this.
    It doesn't add anything to the life of the game though. It's the same amount of content whether it is placed before or after the end credits. There is still nothing it is adding that is positive. Is something is in the game with no positive benefits but does have negative aspects, how is it not bad design? What is specifically good about the design that doesn't exist when it is open before beating the end boss?

  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Outside of that, dang this game is so much fun.

    Just got through Monsters last night. Probably the weakest of the worlds so far design wise. But the characters were great so it was still a good time. I feel like they could have done a lot more with the doors.

    Have both Gummi areas all finished besides the super bosses so far.

    It's kinda funny that I think the biggest weakness of the game is extra noticeable *because* of the things it does well. The lack of the arena/extra bosses. There is so much side content that unlocks so much useful stuff... but there not being anywhere to actually make sue of that stuff is sad.

    But the boss of Monsters actually did some damage so that was pretty fun!

  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    It does seem a shame that the doors in Monstropolis never take you to an actual room in another world; you always just zip to another part of the factory.

    DemonStacey
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Random question:

    Is it possible to fight the uber boss before beating the final boss?


    Also one thing that is really making me sad in this game is reminding me of Yakuza 6. A series that has had an arena drops the arena in the game with the coolest combat where you most want to have cool arena fights. Real sad.

    Nope. The secret boss is a product of things that only appear after you beat the game.

    Fuuuuck.

    Ok you can answer this in a spoiler if you need to but don't actually tell me any details.

    Is there some sort of story attached to it or does it make sense that fighting it takes place after the main story is over?

    Thanks in advance.
    Nope, honestly its just a really strong Heartless. Not anywhere near as cool as the Sephiroth or Terra battles
    Well fuck. That alone may honestly keep the game from reaching into my top 10. Nothing is more obnoxious to me than pointlessly placing content behind beating a game. It's just such bad design it drives me crazy. I don't know why it's become so common recently.
    nah, I actually like when they do that. What's the point of getting ultimate weapons if you don't have a place to use them besides the final boss. imho, it gives me a reason to come back and keep playing the game. but that's me.
    That doesn't change if they allow it before the end boss. That content is still available for you to play whenever you want. Nothing changes for you at all in this scenario. That's why I say it's bad design. The people who like coming back to a game after the end boss have it exactly the same either way.
    Locking it after the boss has a bunch of downsides with no actual reason or gain. It's a very silly thing to do.
    Agree to disagree. I see your point but I just think it's like the Super Mario approach to difficulty. Here's some extra stuff that isn't part of the critical path that you can attempt afterwards. I don't consider it bad design but again I respect if you like the old school approach to extra bosses.
    I don't get what you mean by agree to disagree here. What I'm suggesting changes nothing for you. So you are saying you prefer that people like me can't enjoy this extra content even though there is no further benefit to yourself? That seems like a really weird position to take. Like you're just saying "I prefer the option where you don't get to enjoy this content over the option where we both get to enjoy it"
    What I'm saying is that I don't think it's bad design at all. I don't think nothing is being cutoff. You just have to beat the endboss to see the rest of the stuff? That's all. It's just another gate. I guess I'm already used to the MMO way of stuff that's clearly "endgame" and meant to extend the life of the game. That's why I said agree to disagree, I don't think it's bad design when all it looks is just add more stuff to do after you are done with the main game.

    edit: come to think of it, it feels for me like unlocking Hunk Mode or Mercenaries in RE2 and 3 after beating the game? I mean it's not the first time games have done stuff like this.
    It doesn't add anything to the life of the game though. It's the same amount of content whether it is placed before or after the end credits. There is still nothing it is adding that is positive. Is something is in the game with no positive benefits but does have negative aspects, how is it not bad design? What is specifically good about the design that doesn't exist when it is open before beating the end boss?

    eh I figure we're just running in circles. I feel the same way about this:
    It's the same amount of content whether it is placed before or after the end credits.

    Again. it's ok, I get that it's a problem to you but it isn't a problem to me. I agree tho that the lack of arenas or more extra bosses were to use stuff like the Ultima Weapon detracts from the experience. I wonder what the plan is tho? They did say they weren't doing DLC.

    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Random question:

    Is it possible to fight the uber boss before beating the final boss?


    Also one thing that is really making me sad in this game is reminding me of Yakuza 6. A series that has had an arena drops the arena in the game with the coolest combat where you most want to have cool arena fights. Real sad.

    Nope. The secret boss is a product of things that only appear after you beat the game.

    Fuuuuck.

    Ok you can answer this in a spoiler if you need to but don't actually tell me any details.

    Is there some sort of story attached to it or does it make sense that fighting it takes place after the main story is over?

    Thanks in advance.
    Nope, honestly its just a really strong Heartless. Not anywhere near as cool as the Sephiroth or Terra battles
    Well fuck. That alone may honestly keep the game from reaching into my top 10. Nothing is more obnoxious to me than pointlessly placing content behind beating a game. It's just such bad design it drives me crazy. I don't know why it's become so common recently.
    nah, I actually like when they do that. What's the point of getting ultimate weapons if you don't have a place to use them besides the final boss. imho, it gives me a reason to come back and keep playing the game. but that's me.
    That doesn't change if they allow it before the end boss. That content is still available for you to play whenever you want. Nothing changes for you at all in this scenario. That's why I say it's bad design. The people who like coming back to a game after the end boss have it exactly the same either way.
    Locking it after the boss has a bunch of downsides with no actual reason or gain. It's a very silly thing to do.
    Agree to disagree. I see your point but I just think it's like the Super Mario approach to difficulty. Here's some extra stuff that isn't part of the critical path that you can attempt afterwards. I don't consider it bad design but again I respect if you like the old school approach to extra bosses.
    I don't get what you mean by agree to disagree here. What I'm suggesting changes nothing for you. So you are saying you prefer that people like me can't enjoy this extra content even though there is no further benefit to yourself? That seems like a really weird position to take. Like you're just saying "I prefer the option where you don't get to enjoy this content over the option where we both get to enjoy it"
    What I'm saying is that I don't think it's bad design at all. I don't think nothing is being cutoff. You just have to beat the endboss to see the rest of the stuff? That's all. It's just another gate. I guess I'm already used to the MMO way of stuff that's clearly "endgame" and meant to extend the life of the game. That's why I said agree to disagree, I don't think it's bad design when all it looks is just add more stuff to do after you are done with the main game.

    edit: come to think of it, it feels for me like unlocking Hunk Mode or Mercenaries in RE2 and 3 after beating the game? I mean it's not the first time games have done stuff like this.
    It doesn't add anything to the life of the game though. It's the same amount of content whether it is placed before or after the end credits. There is still nothing it is adding that is positive. Is something is in the game with no positive benefits but does have negative aspects, how is it not bad design? What is specifically good about the design that doesn't exist when it is open before beating the end boss?

    eh I figure we're just running in circles. I feel the same way about this:
    It's the same amount of content whether it is placed before or after the end credits.

    Again. it's ok, I get that it's a problem to you but it isn't a problem to me. I agree tho that the lack of arenas or more extra bosses were to use stuff like the Ultima Weapon detracts from the experience. I wonder what the plan is tho? They did say they weren't doing DLC.
    The thing with me is, once I beat the main story of a game, my brain checks out. I’m done and the urge to play more is gone.

    So if any content is unavailable until after, then it might as well not exist.

    DemonStaceyPreacher
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    the increased fidelity in 3 allows them to show that Xehanort's head is VERY VEINY and I do not like it

    6F32U1X.png
    Etchwartsani_game_bum
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Sanctuary
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Random question:

    Is it possible to fight the uber boss before beating the final boss?


    Also one thing that is really making me sad in this game is reminding me of Yakuza 6. A series that has had an arena drops the arena in the game with the coolest combat where you most want to have cool arena fights. Real sad.

    Nope. The secret boss is a product of things that only appear after you beat the game.

    Fuuuuck.

    Ok you can answer this in a spoiler if you need to but don't actually tell me any details.

    Is there some sort of story attached to it or does it make sense that fighting it takes place after the main story is over?

    Thanks in advance.
    Nope, honestly its just a really strong Heartless. Not anywhere near as cool as the Sephiroth or Terra battles
    Well fuck. That alone may honestly keep the game from reaching into my top 10. Nothing is more obnoxious to me than pointlessly placing content behind beating a game. It's just such bad design it drives me crazy. I don't know why it's become so common recently.
    nah, I actually like when they do that. What's the point of getting ultimate weapons if you don't have a place to use them besides the final boss. imho, it gives me a reason to come back and keep playing the game. but that's me.
    That doesn't change if they allow it before the end boss. That content is still available for you to play whenever you want. Nothing changes for you at all in this scenario. That's why I say it's bad design. The people who like coming back to a game after the end boss have it exactly the same either way.
    Locking it after the boss has a bunch of downsides with no actual reason or gain. It's a very silly thing to do.
    Agree to disagree. I see your point but I just think it's like the Super Mario approach to difficulty. Here's some extra stuff that isn't part of the critical path that you can attempt afterwards. I don't consider it bad design but again I respect if you like the old school approach to extra bosses.
    I don't get what you mean by agree to disagree here. What I'm suggesting changes nothing for you. So you are saying you prefer that people like me can't enjoy this extra content even though there is no further benefit to yourself? That seems like a really weird position to take. Like you're just saying "I prefer the option where you don't get to enjoy this content over the option where we both get to enjoy it"
    What I'm saying is that I don't think it's bad design at all. I don't think nothing is being cutoff. You just have to beat the endboss to see the rest of the stuff? That's all. It's just another gate. I guess I'm already used to the MMO way of stuff that's clearly "endgame" and meant to extend the life of the game. That's why I said agree to disagree, I don't think it's bad design when all it looks is just add more stuff to do after you are done with the main game.

    edit: come to think of it, it feels for me like unlocking Hunk Mode or Mercenaries in RE2 and 3 after beating the game? I mean it's not the first time games have done stuff like this.
    It doesn't add anything to the life of the game though. It's the same amount of content whether it is placed before or after the end credits. There is still nothing it is adding that is positive. Is something is in the game with no positive benefits but does have negative aspects, how is it not bad design? What is specifically good about the design that doesn't exist when it is open before beating the end boss?

    eh I figure we're just running in circles. I feel the same way about this:
    It's the same amount of content whether it is placed before or after the end credits.

    Again. it's ok, I get that it's a problem to you but it isn't a problem to me. I agree tho that the lack of arenas or more extra bosses were to use stuff like the Ultima Weapon detracts from the experience. I wonder what the plan is tho? They did say they weren't doing DLC.

    If you feel the same way about that part that you should understand what I'm saying I think. For one group of players it's exactly the same in every way no matter where it's placed. They don't gain or lose anything either way so they don't care. That's where you sit and that's fine! But then for the other group one options has a handful of negatives (can break the timelines, no longer makes sense in the story, not interesting in coming back to games after all story content is over, want to be able to use all the fun toys acquired throughout the game against a real challenge).

    So that means that option seems to serve as only causing negative effects on one group without specifically adding positive effects for anyone. If you have something to show that it is actually good positive design tell me! No one seems to ever have anything besides saying "well I don't mind so it's not a big deal" but that is not a reason it is good in anyway and without a reason one cannot say it is good design, that makes no sense. I'm just saying I'm trying to support my claim that it's bad, if it isn't actually bad then tell me what makes it good. It will make a lot more sense to me if I can actually see a strong reason for what is lost by making it available for both kinds of players but I have literally never seen anyone give a reason yet.

    DemonStacey on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Scala ad Caelum
    oh man ending the big Xehanort fight on a Fathers-Son Kamehameha is some good shit

    6F32U1X.png
    StiltsEtchwartslionheart_mani_game_bum
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    This game plays much better that 2, but man... Having all the setup happen in DDD kinda took the oomph out of the story.

    No I don't.
    Preacher
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Scala ad Caelum
    oh man ending the big Xehanort fight on a Fathers-Son Kamehameha is some good shit
    Goofy is a good dad

    IKknkhU.gif
    never die
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Random question for anyone with Ultima weapon/world orders
    Do you need to get into the final 2 world before you can get it? How early would be the earliest you can get it?

    I'm trying to decide the order to do the last 2 Disney worlds. I want to end those on BH6 but I also want to use the BH6 keyblade for at least a tiny bit. So if I can get Ultima weapon right after that I would do BH6 first so I can use that keyblade through the Pirates world. But if you are required to play a little bit into the final worlds before you can get Ultima then I can play in the correct order and get usage out of the BH6 keyblade that way.

    Thanks in advance!

  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Ending
    The little bit of Axel, Roxas, and Xion finally getting to go back to the clocktower (in cool new outfits!) and be joined by Hayner, Pence, Olette, and Isa really really got to me

    like I'm guessing Sora disappearing was supposed to be the big moment there but I a) am still not super invested in Sora and b) don't really even know what that means

    the things that mattered to me were what were tied up

    Anyway, I'm pretty satisfied with this, it's just about everything I hoped for it to be, overall my issues with it are relatively minor

    It's a blast to play and a good execution on resolving everything I wanted to see, messy as it can be, but you can't be Kingdom Hearts without a whole lot of mess

    6F32U1X.png
    DemonStacey
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Random question for anyone with Ultima weapon/world orders
    Do you need to get into the final 2 world before you can get it? How early would be the earliest you can get it?

    I'm trying to decide the order to do the last 2 Disney worlds. I want to end those on BH6 but I also want to use the BH6 keyblade for at least a tiny bit. So if I can get Ultima weapon right after that I would do BH6 first so I can use that keyblade through the Pirates world. But if you are required to play a little bit into the final worlds before you can get Ultima then I can play in the correct order and get usage out of the BH6 keyblade that way.

    Thanks in advance!
    You have to get into the final world in other to craft it, as there's an ingredient in one of them

    DemonStaceyStilts
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Random question for anyone with Ultima weapon/world orders
    Do you need to get into the final 2 world before you can get it? How early would be the earliest you can get it?

    I'm trying to decide the order to do the last 2 Disney worlds. I want to end those on BH6 but I also want to use the BH6 keyblade for at least a tiny bit. So if I can get Ultima weapon right after that I would do BH6 first so I can use that keyblade through the Pirates world. But if you are required to play a little bit into the final worlds before you can get Ultima then I can play in the correct order and get usage out of the BH6 keyblade that way.

    Thanks in advance!
    You have to get into the final world in other to craft it, as there's an ingredient in one of them
    Cool thanks! That makes me feel a lot better about playing BH6 last.

  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    oh I hadn't seen the Secret Movie yet
    god I love this bullshit, this is bringing me back to the BHK days

    for those of you JOHNNY COME-LATELIES, the wild speculation after Deep Dive in KH1 revolved around Roxas, who wasn't named at the time, so he was exclusively referred to as "BHK" (Blonde-Haired Kid), and nobody knew who the fuck he was or how he could possibly fit in the story

    Now we're completely untethered from the Organization and Xehanort so this shit could be anything, ideally with Xigbar as the main villain going forward

    I'm actually really excited for the future here! This is some interesting setup! I'm glad that Sora and Riku will continue to be the protagonists! They are the absolute goddamn worst at finding anything for Kairi to do beyond being the goal to achieve!

    6F32U1X.png
    StiltsThe Betgirl
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Does the secret movie/all the ending scenes get added to the cutscene viewer?

    Like if I finish the credits and then hit skip on everything after that and then go back to the cutscene viewer would I miss anything at all?

  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Sanctuary
    In retrospect, some of the writing here is pretty smart with integrating the Disney stories (full game)
    Hercules gives Sora the mantra of fighting "with all his heart," which he uses approximately a dozen times in the endgame

    in the Toy Box and San Fransokyo, Xehanort and Replica Riku are using the toys/Baymax as research for the replicas and the toys being separated into two split but similar worlds mirrors Sora and Riku's fate in the secret movie

    Corona and Arendelle are pretty similar in just being used again as the "power of love" thing that will allow Kairi to save Sora from being destroyed and placed into the Final World

    Monstropolis is pretty much an entire world about Vanitas, the negative energy of their former business model being what brought him back, and I guess if you wanted to stretch you could say their goal of returning Boo to her original world is what Riku is trying to do in the secret movie for Sora, though I wouldn't count that

    and in The Carribean Sora and Kairi share the fate of Will and Elizabeth, Sora and Will having to wander the world apart from their partners, only able to return rarely

    and yet Elizabeth Swann is probably somehow more of a character in THIS GAME than Kairi is

    Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
    lionheart_mStiltsThe BetgirlPreacheraStoryAboutYounever die
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I think skipping the credits might just skip those and go to the post credits movies, but they're worth watching since most of the credits have videos on the side showing what happens to various characters post game.

    Regardless all the cut scenes, including epilogue and secret will be in the theater. In fact if you beat the game but haven't unlocked the secret cutscene then when you do meet the requirements it will just be in the theater. No need to replay the final fights.

    FFXIV: Agran Trask
    DemonStacey
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I think skipping the credits might just skip those and go to the post credits movies, but they're worth watching since most of the credits have videos on the side showing what happens to various characters post game.

    Regardless all the cut scenes, including epilogue and secret will be in the theater. In fact if you beat the game but haven't unlocked the secret cutscene then when you do meet the requirements it will just be in the theater. No need to replay the final fights.

    Perfect!

    Thanks.

  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    agh I just have a lot of Things to Say

    Scala ad Caelum
    Xehanort's weird goat armor looks cool but I could not stop thinking about how he could not possibly see in that thing

    the goat head is like a full foot above his actual head! I was just picturing his head in the middle of the neck and giggling

    but anyway I actually like a lot how they resolved his story? bringing the monstrously evil warlock back down to earth and going out peacefully with his best friend, that felt like the most Kingdom Hearts shit possible to happen

    I could not help but wonder how perfectly Leonard Nimoy would've sold it, though

    6F32U1X.png
    lionheart_mEtchwartsStiltsH0b0manThe Betgirl
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Got to the Roxas fight while replaying Kingdom Hearts 2 and whew... The cutscene afterward got those tears flowing super hard.

Sign In or Register to comment.