As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resignations/Firings From the Increasingly Chaotic White House

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Gyral wrote: »
    So, we basically need to start a President Pence ad campaign, right? Because Trump's shown himself to be so petty that the minute he's not #1 in a conversation, he has to remove the competition.

It kind of sounds like it.

Honestly it would be a good thing in general to shine some light on Pence anyway. Some high profile pieces on how Pence is 'so important right now to the country' seems like exactly the kind of thing that would cause a rift like it did with Bannon.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So, we basically need to start a President Pence ad campaign, right? Because Trump's shown himself to be so petty that the minute he's not #1 in a conversation, he has to remove the competition.

Wouldn't remove the fundamental problem.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular

Kick out enough supports though, and the structure crumbles.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Preacher wrote: »
    Brietbart has not and will not harm GOP voting. Expecting anything bad for the GOP after this firing is madness.

I dunno. Both Bannon and Trump loathe the GOP in general at this point. Trump hates that they aren't effective or deferential enough (and was openly talking about disassociating the WH from the party in general after the health bill collapsed); Bannon hates that they aren't all in on ethnic cleansing or frogmarching his enemies into the reeducation furnaces or whatthefuckever his end goal is.

I can totally see Breitbart trying to come at not the president but congressional Republicans from the right, especially if they fall into the trap a lot of conservative parties have fallen into since the nineties where they believe the solution to bad political outcomes is "we must go further to the right as we clearly weren't pure and/or shieldbitingly insane enough."

The GOP's unpalatable enough in a lot of places due to their backing of the president - which, as I said, the president himself felt was inadequate! - that I wouldn't put it past Bannon to try to kick up a new Tea Party analogue built around more explicitly nasty doctrines than the Tea Party's basic antigovernment views. Especially if he's doing so for a president who's very, very good at holding grudges, and has a lot of people in at least the Senate he's holding them against.

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »

That, or realizing that it's actually impossible for him to fire Pence is what finally drives Trump over the edge.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    So the "President Bannon" strategy actually ended up working? Neat.

So let's talk about President Sessions now
    President Fox-and-Friends. Because, lets face it: they probably have the biggest influence on the president.

Trump can't fire Pence and Pence doesn't really have a lot of power anyway.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I see this as going one of two ways:

First, Bannon goes full Nazi, running Breitbart as the blatant hate machine that it is, but now with the de facto endorsement of the president since Bannon is painting himself as an unshackled Trump ally. Trump remains quiet, or openly endorses them as Real News, and we wind up with a constant stream of Trump's post-Chalottesville incidents, as he says increasingly awful things.

Our second, Bannon goes full Nazi, running Breitbart as the blatant hate machine that it is, and Trump has to distance himself from them. Bannon gets pissed and turns on him, and Trump loses one of his principle right wing media allies.

I do not see a way in which this goes well for either Trump or the alt-right.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I like an edge-case scenario of your #2, followed by Trump about-facing on them a couple of days later like he did with Charlottesville, thus (accurately) letting everyone know who holds the leash there while also managing to innovate by finding a way to defend something even more indefensible than he already has.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I'm increasingly nervous that trump and bannon go full on white supremacist/nazi and the entire gop and their voters go 'ok, cool'!

Cause they're already happy to both sides the issue and I don't think it would take much to keep them moving to the right

Xaquin on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's what the GOP is. We just obfuscate the policy parts to be nice and only call them on it if they do shit like Trump did this week.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The modern GOP is built almost entirely around convincing people that both sides are the same. If they go openly fascist, they lose that.

• Options
    Trump aside, I don't think they personally buy it. They are absolutely willing to USE it, but I think the core of the party are not true believers.

The problems come if groups like the Freedom Caucus and the Tea Party who ARE true believers gain enough people in office to control the GOP fully.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Trump aside, I don't think they personally buy it. They are absolutely willing to USE it, but I think the core of the party are not true believers.

The problems come if groups like the Freedom Caucus and the Tea Party who ARE true believers gain enough people in office to control the GOP fully.

I don't think they have enough states to do that. Relatively few of the US states are so deeply red that they would elect an open white supremacist.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Zek wrote: »

I don't think they have enough states to do that. Relatively few of the US states are so deeply red that they would elect an open white supremacist.

They're certainly going to try though. This is exactly the kind of thing Bannon wants.

I don't think he can do it, but I don't intend to get complacent about it either. He'll use whatever dog whistles he thinks will work.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

I mean, they're only two away from that right now

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

First, Bannon goes full Nazi, running Breitbart as the blatant hate machine that it is, but now with the de facto endorsement of the president since Bannon is painting himself as an unshackled Trump ally. Trump remains quiet, or openly endorses them as Real News, and we wind up with a constant stream of Trump's post-Chalottesville incidents, as he says increasingly awful things.

Our second, Bannon goes full Nazi, running Breitbart as the blatant hate machine that it is, and Trump has to distance himself from them. Bannon gets pissed and turns on him, and Trump loses one of his principle right wing media allies.

I think it's going to be Breitbart attacking the "globalists" in the Trump administration, saying they're poisoning Trump against the cause.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »

That sounds a little too close to "we have only to kick in the door and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down" for my comfort.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Until he actually draws blood, Bannon is now just the plausible deniability portion of the Trump media wing. We can all hope for more, but expecting anything else with the information we have is a mistake.

Bannon may be a disgusting hateful democracy damaging piece of shit but he knows what feeds his supporters and readers and he has no moral character. I expect middling support for Trump while undermining actual news media and helping discredit the people Trump needs to distance himself from as investigations and criticism intensify.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I saw some line about this: “No matter what happens, Steve is a honey badger." The hell does that even mean? Are they saying that Bannon sticks his face directly into beehives to eat the larvae?
    Did the Obamas leave their hive at the White House when they left and Steve Bannon has been feasting on it this whole summer?

It would explain his swollen face, admittedly.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    I saw some line about this: “No matter what happens, Steve is a honey badger." The hell does that even mean? Are they saying that Bannon sticks his face directly into beehives to eat the larvae?
    Did the Obamas leave their hive at the White House when they left and Steve Bannon has been feasting on it this whole summer?

Honey Badgers have an internet reputation for being super tough animals that bite their enemies in the nards.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Also, "honey badger don't give a fuck"

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular

Not for the first time, I'm considering how fascinating this whole situation is when one does not consider the dire and real-world ramifications of this administration.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

https://youtu.be/4r7wHMg5Yjg

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

It means he's a real pain in the ass in various Far Cry 3 missions.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

President Fox-and-Friends. Because, lets face it: they probably have the biggest influence on the president.

Worst that would happen is Trump neglects to name Pence as his running mate, possibly bringing someone worse on board next time.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

https://youtu.be/4r7wHMg5Yjg

It seems to come up repeatedly in the book on Bannon that was just released. Being a stubborn annoying asshole is his guiding principle, apparently

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Worst that would happen is Trump neglects to name Pence as his running mate, possibly bringing someone worse on board next time.

If Pence doesn't try to Primary him first.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

If 'Pub voters hate Trump enough to pick someone else, it sure as hell isn't going to be the politician most closely tied to Trump.

Not that it would stop Pence from trying.

• Options

If 'Pub voters hate Trump enough to pick someone else, it sure as hell isn't going to be the politician most closely tied to Trump.

Honestly... I don't think he wants the job. Because if he did, now would be the time to strike.

• Options

Honestly... I don't think he wants the job. Because if he did, now would be the time to strike.

Nah, Trump's base is still on his side. The GOP still fears a war between the teapers and the establishment.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Are bookmakers taking bets on who goes next? I'm betting Kelly or Jared.
    Both are getting press on how they have influence over Donald, and we know that doesn't sit well with him.

It's pretty clear that anyone who takes credit for doing anything at the White House is going to be on borrowed time.
    So the press needs to start bombarding all of them with questions about 'was [whatever] your idea? Did you have any influence over it?'
    The only answer to grant them survival is going to be 'No, I am nothing but a mindless drone who serves the masters will', but if they just keep on being asked, they're going to have to break pattern eventually.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options

Nah, Trump's base is still on his side. The GOP still fears a war between the teapers and the establishment.

I am pretty sure Bannon is about to instigate that. Whether he means to or not.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if Jared would be forced out, he's family. Or close to it.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Bannon goes full Nazi

Words like this make me think we're living in an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

"The Gang Goes 'Full Nazi'"

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Is there an good, equivalent word to "disarray" that starts with an R? Thesauruses are failing me. Alliteration is always the best way to go.

"Rumpus"
    "Rampage"
    "Rumspringa"

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

What's stopping them from staying that 1% shy of straight-up fascism which gives them their current deniability?

Bannon has a base cunning when it comes to this stuff, even if he's bad at actual bureaucracy. He's always been careful about leaving himself that tiny shred of cover.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Is there an good, equivalent word to "disarray" that starts with an R? Thesauruses are failing me. Alliteration is always the best way to go.

Rubble

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/18/business/media/bannon-said-to-be-planning-his-return-to-breitbart-news.html
    Most immediately, he has told associates that he wants to ensure that any spending resolution approved next month by Congress includes money to begin construction on the wall that Mr. Trump has promised to build on the southern border.

If Congress balks, Mr. Bannon has advised the president to issue a veto, which would trigger a government shutdown.

“You can’t play by the Marquess Queensberry’s rules,” he often tells colleagues, using a characteristically colorful historical analogy, in this case to the 19th-century code of conduct for boxing.
    This strikes me as a not very bright analogy. Codes of conduct usually exist to protect both sides in a fight. Thinking you will be awesome by breaking them just means you might get beaten up even harder and lose an eye.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

Rubble

rat's nest?

• Options
    mattclemmattclem Registered User regular

Rubble

"Republicans' ramshackle rabble reduced to rubble"

This discussion has been closed.