As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Supreme Court rules on interprovincial sour grapes

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Have any studies come out of the results of basic guaranteed income in the test towns? Thunder Bay and a couple others I think?

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    Have any studies come out of the results of basic guaranteed income in the test towns? Thunder Bay and a couple others I think?
    I saw this article in the Star from back in February:
    https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/02/24/from-barely-surviving-to-thriving-ontario-basic-income-recipients-report-less-stress-better-health.html

But I haven't see hard numbers yet.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I'm currently dealing with dental costs! I have insurance that covers 50% on major restorative ( a crown in this case) and my wife's insurance also covers 50%.

Great....... Except they both use a dental fee guide that no dentist in Alberta follows. I am now out of pocket +/- 400$. I can afford it but how the hell can people that are not as fortunate to have two insurances and make less than I do get it done?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited April 2018

I'm still struggling to figure out what the difference is between basic guaranteed income and simply expanding the coverage and payments of the current welfare system.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Virtually any party that puts together a workable vision of "universal" dental care and/or vision care would get my vote.

Both of those things affect your health and well-being and having them separate is a bit silly.

I have amazing dental coverage through my work but I would still need to fork out several thousand dollars to fix one side of my chompers properly.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

I'm still struggling to figure out what the difference is between basic guaranteed income and simply expanding the coverage and payments of the current welfare system.

I know Ontario Works as a financial aid has at least has the following requirement:
    You must be willing to make reasonable efforts to find, prepare for and keep a job (unless you have specific circumstances that temporarily prevent you from doing so, such as an illness or caregiving responsibilities)

• Options
    Richy wrote: »

It was explained to me as this:

Welfare is a ceiling. If you make more than X your welfare will be cut. So If you make 15K/year on welfare and get a part-time minimum wage job that pays 10K/year your welfare will be cut by that same amount. The problem is that for most people the cost of having that job (childcare, transit, miscellaneous expenses) make it not viable since in the long run they actually make way less.

Mincome pays 10K but is not affected by your job status. So now you are making 25K with the same job and are clearly in a better place. It will also let people have a bit more flexibility on what they want to do. MAybe you want to work at a bookstore because that brings you joy but can't take the pay cut that would entail. Mincome covers part of that. So it's more of a floor you build off instead.

Again this is my very layman understanding of it.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

Going to be a couple years at least. The pilot's still signing people up and will be finished in the next 2 years IIRC.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
  • Options
    Fuck.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Yeah, that looks bad. Seems like it was intentional, so we'll have to wait and see what the motivations were this time... at least they got the perp in custody.

Sounds like 4 dead thus far. Code Orange (mass casualties) at Sunnybrook hospital.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Alleged video of the driver arrest. Tweet is from a CTV national correspondent

The full video I saw on MSNBC shows the driver giving up his suicide by cop and laying down to be arrested. If this were America that cop would probably be fired for not firing his gun. Don't let this incident stop you from being awesome, Canada.

Veevee on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Veevee wrote: »
    Alleged video of the driver arrest. Tweet is from a CTV national correspondent <snip>

The full video I saw on MSNBC shows the driver giving up his suicide by cop and laying down to be arrested. If this were America that cop would probably be fired for not firing his gun. Don't let this incident stop you from being awesome, Canada.

What? No. Most of the time, that guy so would have been shot dead. Canadian news is plastered wall-to-wall with suspects who did far far less than pointing at gun at cops that were shot dead. Guy with a hammer in an apartment hallway. Guy with a knife on a streetcar. Guy with a screwdriver in his home. This incident seems a total aberration; our cops are not remotely this awesome.

hippofant on
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    God damn it.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Yeah, shooting there would not have been unwarranted, according to training

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »
    Alleged video of the driver arrest. Tweet is from a CTV national correspondent <snip>

What? No. Most of the time, that guy so would have been shot dead. Canadian news is plastered wall-to-wall with suspects who did far far less than pointing at gun at cops that were shot dead. Guy with a hammer in an apartment hallway. Guy with a knife on a streetcar. Guy with a screwdriver in his home. This incident seems a total aberration; our cops are not remotely this awesome.

But let's be clear:

This cop WAS awesome and had balls of steel.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

This is a purely American perspective, but were they white?

Very few details about the suspect are known at this time.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I meant those other suspects, but I edited the question out for relevance

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Gah. That wasn't even a little subtle on the suspect's part; the cop could have emptied his magazine and I wouldn't bat an eye about it.

Can we start cloning that officer or something? We need more of whatever produced that.

• Options

You ever just see something so racist that it's more confounding than rage inducing?

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    I was wondering what rock she'd scuttled under after the Daily Mail shitcanned her.

sig.gif
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

You ever just see something so racist that it's more confounding than rage inducing?

I see white people behind her constantly.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I mean, I'll bet First Nations make up a small percentage of Toronto's population. So she'd be right in that all the white faces like hers are European immigrants and colonists.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Was just thinking that... You see a good dozen Caucasians walk past her?

• Options

This is a purely American perspective, but were they white?

Very few details about the suspect are known at this time.
    I meant those other suspects, but I edited the question out for relevance

It really isn't irrelevant. We have racism here too, just manifested differently. Of the three I mentioned, Sammy Yatim (streetcar) was white. Other two, Andrew Loku and Pierre Coriolan were both black. Generally, there is an issue in Canadian urban centres with police shooting unarmed - or at least unarmed-with-firearms - black people, but it overlaps a lot with shootings of people with mental health issues (e.g. Yatim), so it's not quite the same issue as it is in the US, I think, where the shootings are a lot more blatant. In more rural areas, there aren't as many black people, but the racism finds a new target in indigenous people. (Though other posters here would be able to post more about that sorta thing than me.)

• Options

It also doesn't make any sense, since black Canadians are < 10% of Toronto's population.

Unless all us coloured folk are from Africa.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

Was just thinking that... You see a good dozen Caucasians walk past her?

If someone's affiliated with The Rebel they're going to have some amazing selective eyesight; it's pretty much a core requirement of working with an actual fascist media company.

Or just be willing to lie about it, like the multiple file-footage cuts to obviously cherrypicked crowds instead of sticking with her main camera's view as it neatly undermines her.

(The same goes for her audience; a typical Rebel viewer/reader probably assumes Toronto's a hellscape of minorities lording it over the old stock, and facts will have no bearing on that perspective.)

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

Homo Sapiens originate from Africa, and I'm not aware of any hominid originating in Canada, so I guess she's right.
    /deliberately missing the point.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's ok, I found some people who look like they come from Canada.

bobanddoug1.jpg

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    CBC TV news just showed 9 dead/16 injured now in van incident.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Any credit taken for the attack yet (outside of the immediate)? Van attacks seem to becoming more common these days, and I'm not sure barricades are deployable everywhere.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options

finnith wrote: »
    Any credit taken for the attack yet (outside of the immediate)? Van attacks seem to becoming more common these days, and I'm not sure barricades are deployable everywhere.

Would make traffic way worse in a lot of places

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

For how basic and crude the method is (I mean, getting a car/van presents almost no real challenge), these types of attacks are still really rare and pretty much disproves the notion that there are a large number of people out there that are just waiting for the opportunity to strike terror into our lives.

• Options

Watching the video of the supposed driver being arrested on TV with what seemed like better quality he looks rather white to me.

So at least for the moment my assumption is it's not what we expect given van attacks in europe.

• Options
    Fuck I hate the rebel so much. I can't even think rationally about those pieces of shit.

• Options
    Ok, it appears details are starting to come in on the supposed driver:
    CBC News has confirmed that Alek Minassian, a 25-year-old Richmond Hill, Ont., man, is the alleged driver in the attack. His LinkedIn profile identifies him as a student at Seneca College.

Government officials briefed on the investigation so far say the suspect is not associated with any organized terrorist group and he does not represent a larger threat to national security.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pedestrians-struck-white-van-1.4631564

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Stop killing people dickheads

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    According to CBC, looks like the murderer was a incel type of guy. Had supported Elliot Rodgers, and was angry at women.

It’s weird to hear the word incel on the radio.

• Options
    Why does incel ring a bell...

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    hawkbox wrote: »
    Why does incel ring a bell...

"Involuntary Celibacy". I'm certainly not highly informed on the topic, but the term has (in my experience) usually been used/associated with men who feel that society in general/women in particular are denying them the sexual relationships/experiences they deserve. It has always come across as toxic, at least whenever I stumble into a discussion that goes over it.

I believe there was a thread here a few years ago that touched on it, among other things.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
This discussion has been closed.