As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GoT][ASoIaF] It had its moments. (OPEN SPOILERS FOR S8, BEWARE)

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    I half expected that to be the case when the box wasn't violently shaking.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They keep bringing up all it takes is one arrow to end Dany while she's flying around. This may just be a common sense thing, but also works as foreshadowing for the Night King.

On the one hand that be a little anti-climatic, but then also be kind of awesome if he's just pin-cushioned out of the blue.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Valyrian steel/dragonglass arrowhead.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    For a while I was almost convinced that the wight brought south would stop moving and just become a corpse again, either due to distance from the source of the reanimation or, more hilariously, the white walkers being able to tell where it is and what the living are trying to do with it, and deliberately withdrawing their magic to leave it a simple corpse to fuck with everybody.

Imagine what would have happened if, after all that build-up, the gang just dumped a dead body in front of Cersei and nothing happened. That would have pretty much ended all hopes of unifying the living.

Dany could have just been, "ah, fuck it. Dracarys."

Cersei and Euron would get incinerated and Dany takes over King's Landing.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    They keep bringing up all it takes is one arrow to end Dany while she's flying around. This may just be a common sense thing, but also works as foreshadowing for the Night King.

On the one hand that be a little anti-climatic, but then also be kind of awesome if he's just pin-cushioned out of the blue.

Might not work against the Night King since he was created by having an obsidian dagger stuck into his heart.

Also, Dany can wear armor. It's already really hard to hit her when she's flying. If she wore plate, she'll be protected even if an arrow hits her.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I would think flying a dragon just by itself is already really unsafe.

What if she falls off?

• Options
    Simple: Tyrion invents the parachute.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Obviously if she falls off the dragon catches her. When ladies fall off dragons that's what happens, well known fact.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Sexist dragons- Drogon didn't give a shit when Jorah was dangling.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Sexist dragons- Drogon didn't give a shit when Jora was dangling.

That's not sexist. That's because Jorah's lot in life is to get the shit end of the stick.

• Options
    Get a harness and some straps.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Superglue

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Poor Jorah-chan.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    For a while I was almost convinced that the wight brought south would stop moving and just become a corpse again, either due to distance from the source of the reanimation or, more hilariously, the white walkers being able to tell where it is and what the living are trying to do with it, and deliberately withdrawing their magic to leave it a simple corpse to fuck with everybody.

Imagine what would have happened if, after all that build-up, the gang just dumped a dead body in front of Cersei and nothing happened. That would have pretty much ended all hopes of unifying the living.

It kinda seemed like that almost happened too.

My suspicion is that Cersei being pregnant actually set the thing off, it had a lot of potential targets at that meeting but went dead set straight for her.

My reasoning is thus, if these wights hate the living, the act of making a new life must be just one of their biggest pet peeves.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Simple: Tyrion invents the locking carabiner

Everyone should read the Temeraire series.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Poor Jorah-chan.

ItnM3RC.jpg

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Simple: Tyrion invents the locking carabiner

Everyone should read the Temeraire series.

HBO, get this on your cable channels immediately.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Kit Harrington and Rose Leslie are engaged. Aw.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Boss at work knows I'm a geek who's been following this show and sent me this link.
    http://www.gameofthronesconcert.com/

Thought it might be of interest here.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Rewatching, in season 1 those walkers that animate inside castle black? I was curious about those since we've seen wights animated various ways recently. Later in the episode, Sam says "They were touched by white walkers" and says they sleep under the ice for thousands of years. So I guess they killed those guys, "touched" them, then dropped them near the wall. They either animated immediately or waited until later and tried to do some surprise stuff

The latter.

One of the less appreciated side effects of undeath is an impeccable sense of timing. Pop culture always fixates on the non-verbal communication and the insatiable hunger. Sure, they showcase their proficiency with setting up a good jump scare, but where's the show about the undead comedy writer or jazz quartet?

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    are we meant to believe Arya doesn't realize she could have jaqen kill tywin or the mountain, that she doesn't believe he's capable, or that she reserved their lives for herself?

or that she's somewhat impulsive mixed with not believing or trusting him at first and by the time she is sure he is capable and trustworthy she at 3 and plays her card of giving his name?

been on my mind since I finally read book 2 a few weeks ago and now I'm watching some and it came to me again. don't think there's a solid answer so I'm more curious what everyone thinks.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    are we meant to believe Arya doesn't realize she could have jaqen kill tywin or the mountain, that she doesn't believe he's capable, or that she reserved their lives for herself?

or that she's somewhat impulsive mixed with not believing or trusting him at first and by the time she is sure he is capable and trustworthy she at 3 and plays her card of giving his name?

been on my mind since I finally read book 2 a few weeks ago and now I'm watching some and it came to me again. don't think there's a solid answer so I'm more curious what everyone thinks.

She didn't think of it at the time. Gendry even makes fun of her because of it afterwards. In the book she's also being personally tormented by one of the names, so she reacts as a little kid might by focusing on her immediate problems and doesn't think of the grand scheme of things.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Also, book characters are generally not power gamers

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Wait, Kit Harrington's marrying the housemaid from Downton Abbey who went on to be an office worker?

Huh, that came out of no where!

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Wait, Kit Harrington's marrying the housemaid from Downton Abbey who went on to be an office worker?

They met on the GoT set. She played Ygritte.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Also, book characters are generally not power gamers

I mean, sure, but they killed her father which seems to be pretty heavily on her mind
    reVerse wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »

She didn't think of it at the time. Gendry even makes fun of her because of it afterwards. In the book she's also being personally tormented by one of the names, so she reacts as a little kid might by focusing on her immediate problems and doesn't think of the grand scheme of things.

yeaeh that makes sense to me, just wondering what everyone thought. For as sad and haunting as certain things are to relive through reading and rewatching, this period for her is almost the most difficult as you feel it slip through her fingers without

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

They met on the GoT set. She played Ygritte.

3fw196yphak2.jpg

For once, I get to use this.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I'm a dummie and responded to a 3 month old post. Sorry.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Waffen wrote: »
    I'm a dummie and responded to a 3 month old post. Sorry.
    Mind if I one up you?
    For a while I was almost convinced that the wight brought south would stop moving and just become a corpse again.
    According to the rules are we still keeping the book behind spoilers? Early book spoiler:
    The zombies are pretty unstoppable (sans fire) in the books and they take an animated hand south and it continues to live for several days. But by the time Ser Alliser gets a proper audience it stops.

Also I love book theories concerning Euron. I think this one is way over the top (considering GRRM said we'll never really know which religions are real) but I'm so very excited about The Winds of Winter. The link discusses a Winds preview chapter if you're avoiding those.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I just finished season 7... PLEASE tell me there's a reasonable amount of time to wait for season 8. Please...

So much for the fucking wall! Holy shit....

Also, Daenerys is banging her nephew but I'm weirdly OK with it.

God, I need season 8 pronto!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I just finished season 7... PLEASE tell me there's a reasonable amount of time to wait for season 8. Please...

Sorry, no can do.

It's basically confirmed for 2019 at this point, Sophie Turner slipped up in an interview saying there wouldn't be any episodes in 2018.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    what

Mannnnnnnn come on

• Options
    we already knew that even if we didn't officially know that

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Oh no, you have to wait another year to watch the final seasons of the show. How terrible for you.

Bittertown, U.S.A.
    Population: Book Readers

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Oh no, you have to wait another year to watch the final seasons of the show. How terrible for you.

Bittertown, U.S.A.

This, right there, is why I'm not reading the GoT books. When I start a book, I like to know that I will be able to read the end someday.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Sorry, no can do.

It's basically confirmed for 2019 at this point, Sophie Turner slipped up in an interview saying there wouldn't be any episodes in 2018.

What you've done here is ripped my heart to shreds...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options

Bittertown, U.S.A.

I've read all the books Mr snarky

This is terrible news. I hadn't heard before it would take them two years to do season eight! I need GoT costumes in my life every year.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    They must be doing some seriously crazy shit for it to take this long.

Westworld s2 this year tho

• Options
    They must be doing some seriously crazy shit for it to take this long.

Westworld s2 this year tho

Yeah they better spend two years worth of budget on it

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Bittertown, U.S.A.

I've read all the books Mr snarky

This is terrible news. I hadn't heard before it would take them two years to do season eight! I need GoT costumes in my life every year.

You haven't read all of the books...

/sob

This discussion has been closed.