Options

[GoT][ASoIaF] It had its moments. (OPEN SPOILERS FOR S8, BEWARE)

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    RedTide is right, too. He's also a Giants fan.

I've only really heard/read his melancholic commentary about the Jets, though. He comes off as an abused Jets fan more than a Giants fan considering how voluminously he seems to discuss either.

Makes sense, I guess. Not as much to complain about with the Giants ;)

Anyway, my comments about a football ending were somewhat tongue-in-cheek but upon Googling, it seems GRRM did slip in a variety of football references throughout the series. So my theory isn't totally crazy. ;)

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Jon Snow is the Jets if every single one of their constant dumb hail mary passes actually succeeded.

GoT: Really Just NFL Fan Fiction

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I mean, the same thing happened in actual medieval/renaissance foreign policy; children would be sent to live essentially as well-kept hostages in foreign countries both to advance their education/knowledge of those countries and as a hedge against hostilities. When a treaty might only last as long as the current king and international norms are basically nonexistent, familial bonds were used as a proxy for those things.

I'm pretty sure GoT even directly explains this, at least w/r/t theon

That was a pretty big motivation for why Theon betrayed the Starks.

Everyone was telling him how great the Starks were treating him and how lucky he was that he was a ward in Winterfell. But he was still a prisoner. He was taken from his real family against his will. He was being used to pay for the crimes of his father. He was there to serve as insurance in case his father betrayed the peace treaty. They'll cut his head off if his father went to war. And he was hated by his own family even though none of it was his fault. That's where so much of his resentment came from.

I've started rewatching the show with my wife, and hoo boy, Theon gets shit on constantly by everybody around him. Robb's a dick about how Theon isn't a Stark, Jamie gives him crap about being a hostage (as does Tyrion, who also gloats about going to have sex with Ros because Theon has a kind of crush thing going). It's endless.

The show really does a better job of setting up Theon's frustration and resentment. When he flips you buy that it comes from something real.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I mean, the same thing happened in actual medieval/renaissance foreign policy; children would be sent to live essentially as well-kept hostages in foreign countries both to advance their education/knowledge of those countries and as a hedge against hostilities. When a treaty might only last as long as the current king and international norms are basically nonexistent, familial bonds were used as a proxy for those things.

Everyone was telling him how great the Starks were treating him and how lucky he was that he was a ward in Winterfell. But he was still a prisoner. He was taken from his real family against his will. He was being used to pay for the crimes of his father. He was there to serve as insurance in case his father betrayed the peace treaty. They'll cut his head off if his father went to war. And he was hated by his own family even though none of it was his fault. That's where so much of his resentment came from.

I've started rewatching the show with my wife, and hoo boy, Theon gets shit on constantly by everybody around him. Robb's a dick about how Theon isn't a Stark, Jamie gives him crap about being a hostage (as does Tyrion, who also gloats about going to have sex with Ros because Theon has a kind of crush thing going). It's endless.

The show really does a better job of setting up Theon's frustration and resentment. When he flips you buy that it comes from something real.

Everyone just treat's him like Lilly Allen does.
    poor Alfie

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Plus his own family. Hell his entire culture. Theon is the most shit on character in the show. Even more than, say, Sansa or Tyrion.

Book spoilers:
    It's been awhile but Theon's betrayal felt more left field within the book, no?

Drez on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »
    He's a Giants fan, does he mock the Jets in some way?

GRRM is famously a Jets fan.

edit: LOL:
    dci6501lg5dz.jpg

edit 2: I mean, I'm not that much of an asshole, but the presentation of that story and the photo caption quote certainly mimicks some ASOIAF/GOT themes.

What about the whole Wun Wun is a Phil Simms reference?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular

Plus his own family. Hell his entire culture. Theon is the most shit on character in the show. Even more than, say, Sansa or Tyrion.

Book spoilers:

More early Theon book talk:
    It definitely caught me off guard in the book, and not in a surprising but logical way.

Later on he gives an off the cuff speech to Maester Luwin about how he knew he was a hostage the whole time and he's a little surprised by how much he means it, but that was just about it. I think it worked, but there's a real sense of Theon just being a piece of shit up until that point.

The show, like it did with a lot of things early on, just built out what was implied elsewhere. It really works very well.

Other rewatch notes: Robert's an amazing character and I love the hell out of him. He's garbage in so many ways, but he also seems to understand that about himself and it hurts him. The love between himself and Ned is this real, aspirational thing and Robert just seems so content when he's dying because he can't fuck it all up any more.

Whenever Mark Addy is on screen there's just so much history there. Whether he's shitting on Jaime, commiserating about his marriage with Cersei, reminiscing with Barristan or Ned. The guy had a lot of life in him, and despite being an abusive asshole and a drunk he feels like a tragic figure.

Also: This first season really nailed the exposition-as-character-development thing out the gate. Everybody's spelling out Westeros history but it's all based in personal stories and how it affected their lives. You can see the lack of budget but it's better than the first book in many ways. The Robert/Cersei relationship in particular is so much richer.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Book theon
    Isn't a POV character in the first book and is more or less a background character for most of it. You get his situation and that he's kind of a dick but that's about it. The show makes him more of a character from the start

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    yeah like, it's necessary for Robert to die to advance the story of the show we're actually watching, but I wish there were some way to see more of him.

on the other hand it may be a less is more scenario, where just a little bit of this old king filled with regret gets the viewer to fill in the blanks better than writers ever could

ed: like that scene where he asks Ned to come and be his hand is just the goddamn saddest thing

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

And Tyrion continues being a dick to Theon in season 7, accusing Theon of being mean to him, when it's the complete other way around.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I just now found out that Bronn had several hit songs as part of Robson & Jerome. I was not expecting that!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    I assume you're going to g
    TTODewback wrote: »
    I think cersei will do what the mad king couldnt.
    besieged she burns the motherfucker down

CerseiDoesWhatNintendon't

Mass murder and incest.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I just now found out that Bronn had several hit songs as part of Robson & Jerome. I was not expecting that!

*googles*

nope that's too trippy cannot finish video

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    I was thinking, Ceraei needs the another loan to hire the Golden Company correct? (Unless the Tyrells had enough to hire them and repay the bank, which seems unlikely but possible I guess.) But why would the Iron Bank help her? She's proven to be a bad customer when she just flat out cut repayments before. She's in a shit situation facing an enemy with 3 dragons (as the bank knows), 10k? Unsullied, and what 100k screamers, only a small army, and 2/3rds of the country in open rebellion against her. Even if she somehow won, it seems very unlikely she'd be able to repay them with the amount of destruction Westeros has taken. Plus Braavos hates slavers.... and the guy she sent to talk to them is Euron who's pretty much a slaver. Add the fact Danny is quite anti-slavery to her far stronger position, it seems to me if the Iron Bank was to find one side from here on it would be her. I'm sure they will show up at some point to make sure Cersei isn't completely crushed without any resistance but it doesn't seem likely she'd be able to.

Unless she's planning and telling the bank to fuck off and using the Tyrell gold to hire the Company instead which would be something she'd totally do.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Slortex wrote: »
    I assume you're going to g
    TTODewback wrote: »
    I think cersei will do what the mad king couldnt.
    besieged she burns the motherfucker down

CerseiDoesWhatNintendon't

Mass murder and incest.

The twist is that she was a secret Targarean all along.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Totally Wrong Thread.

All I know is the final season will feel rushed when looking back on it but a total blast while airing.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Fuck it, lets keep going.

Leave him. Do you know how slow carrying that man is going to make you? If you aren't gonna whip up a sled to pull him on, then make sure you can mark your path, get him somewhere comfortable/safe, and get the fuck back to the truck. Lugging him is going to add days (Depending on how far away you are) to your journey. Days that could be better spent by Search and Rescue. At best, you're just increasing the damage his injury is causing by constantly moving him, and your risk of death be exposure.

526.gif

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017

So any Gendry/Bronn teamup is basically a walking pun on that?

Book spoilers:

More early Theon book talk:
    It definitely caught me off guard in the book, and not in a surprising but logical way.

Later on he gives an off the cuff speech to Maester Luwin about how he knew he was a hostage the whole time and he's a little surprised by how much he means it, but that was just about it. I think it worked, but there's a real sense of Theon just being a piece of shit up until that point.

The show, like it did with a lot of things early on, just built out what was implied elsewhere. It really works very well.

Other rewatch notes: Robert's an amazing character and I love the hell out of him. He's garbage in so many ways, but he also seems to understand that about himself and it hurts him. The love between himself and Ned is this real, aspirational thing and Robert just seems so content when he's dying because he can't fuck it all up any more.

Whenever Mark Addy is on screen there's just so much history there. Whether he's shitting on Jaime, commiserating about his marriage with Cersei, reminiscing with Barristan or Ned. The guy had a lot of life in him, and despite being an abusive asshole and a drunk he feels like a tragic figure.

Also: This first season really nailed the exposition-as-character-development thing out the gate. Everybody's spelling out Westeros history but it's all based in personal stories and how it affected their lives. You can see the lack of budget but it's better than the first book in many ways. The Robert/Cersei relationship in particular is so much richer.

Robert would not have been a bad king if Westeros had any type of professional grief councelling. He showed quite a lot of insight as a king from time to time (pardoning Barristan for instance), just a lot of apathy for the rest of the time. Ned would not have been as disappointed with Robert if he knew from the start he would have been a shitty king.

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I was thinking, Ceraei needs the another loan to hire the Golden Company correct? (Unless the Tyrells had enough to hire them and repay the bank, which seems unlikely but possible I guess.) But why would the Iron Bank help her? She's proven to be a bad customer when she just flat out cut repayments before. She's in a shit situation facing an enemy with 3 dragons (as the bank knows), 10k? Unsullied, and what 100k screamers, only a small army, and 2/3rds of the country in open rebellion against her. Even if she somehow won, it seems very unlikely she'd be able to repay them with the amount of destruction Westeros has taken. Plus Braavos hates slavers.... and the guy she sent to talk to them is Euron who's pretty much a slaver. Add the fact Danny is quite anti-slavery to her far stronger position, it seems to me if the Iron Bank was to find one side from here on it would be her. I'm sure they will show up at some point to make sure Cersei isn't completely crushed without any resistance but it doesn't seem likely she'd be able to.

Unless she's planning and telling the bank to fuck off and using the Tyrell gold to hire the Company instead which would be something she'd totally do.

as the old saying goes, if you owe the bank $100 it's your problem; if you owe the bank $100 million it's the bank's problem

if they want to recover any of their investment at all the Iron Bank have no real choice but to throw more money in to support Cersei; a future Danerys government would not honor the previous regime's debts and would probably not be inclined to treat the Iron Bank well in specific

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

as the old saying goes, if you owe the bank $100 it's your problem; if you owe the bank $100 million it's the bank's problem

if they want to recover any of their investment at all the Iron Bank have no real choice but to throw more money in to support Cersei; a future Danerys government would not honor the previous regime's debts and would probably not be inclined to treat the Iron Bank well in specific

Cersei already paid her debts. The gold shipment made it into the city before Dany attacked the convoy. Also, the Iron Bank's envoy made it clear that they're interested in investing more into Westeros to keep those interest payments going in the future.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Repaying the debt was actually a huge mistake because it gives the bank an out. She could have achieved basically the same thing by just paying a fraction to prove she's good for the money and then using the rest to hire the Golden company. Without the risk of the bank going lol no we're investing in god damn dragons.

Road Block on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Road Block wrote: »
    Repaying the debt was actually a huge mistake because it gives the bank an out. She could have achieved basically the same thing by just paying a fraction to prove she's good for the money and then using the rest to hire the Golden company. Without the risk of the bank going lol no we're investing in god damn dragons.

Maybe they revised their policies or computer system as to allow only one concurrent loan at a time, similar to a 401K loan. So she had to pay off her loan so she could immediately borrow back her previously borrowed amount + more. It probably was completely out of Mark Gatiss's hands. They had to do whatever their computer told them.

Yes, that must be it.

Drez on
  • Options
    I dunno it had the feel of a down payment to me by cersei; why else would the bank back her in a war she's likely to lose unless she still had substantial debts?

Also I dunno if this will happen, but I'm excited for the golden company to be like, wait you want us to fight the breaker of what?

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Book theon
    Isn't a POV character in the first book and is more or less a background character for most of it. You get his situation and that he's kind of a dick but that's about it. The show makes him more of a character from the start

First Theon scene from the book
    shows that he is definitely more of a dick in the books than the show(unless I remember the scene wrong from the show). He is literally introduced where he kicks the severed head of the Night's Watch deserter and laughs about the execution.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Book theon

First Theon scene from the book
    shows that he is definitely more of a dick in the books than the show(unless I remember the scene wrong from the show). He is literally introduced where he kicks the severed head of the Night's Watch deserter and laughs about the execution.
    Could have been worse.

Could have been a Night's Watch desserter.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I'm kind of expecting the Golden Company to show up, things are looking grim, then... Dorne! They are a bit miffed at Cersei.

Probably not enough time for that, though.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Is Daario part of the Golden company I forget

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    why else would the bank back her in a war she's likely to lose

The whole thing seems like a Westerosi style subprime mortage scam to me. Who else could she successfully raid to get more money after the war even if she did win? The bank would basically win the Game of Thrones by owning the Iron Throne forever via debt interest.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Daario is the leader of the Second Sons I think? Which is a distinct entity from the Golden Company.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Is Daario part of the Golden company I forget

No, he was/is part of the Second Son's.

• Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    The White Walkers are actually just trying to get to the Iron Bank because they hate capitalism. An economic model that requires infinite growth can only be stopped by an army that can also grow infinitely.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Gwendoline Christie with an adorable story:
    https://youtu.be/DhP5zuoc3-M

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Rewatching, in season 1 those walkers that animate inside castle black? I was curious about those since we've seen wights animated various ways recently. Later in the episode, Sam says "They were touched by white walkers" and says they sleep under the ice for thousands of years. So I guess they killed those guys, "touched" them, then dropped them near the wall. They either animated immediately or waited until later and tried to do some surprise stuff

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

In addition to that, guess who's actually a wizard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQsEzrLp1hQ

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Rewatching, in season 1 those walkers that animate inside castle black? I was curious about those since we've seen wights animated various ways recently. Later in the episode, Sam says "They were touched by white walkers" and says they sleep under the ice for thousands of years. So I guess they killed those guys, "touched" them, then dropped them near the wall. They either animated immediately or waited until later and tried to do some surprise stuff

That wight also behaved differently than other wights. It went specifically for Mormont. No other wight has displayed that level of intelligence.

In the books,
    the wight was able to sneak into the Lord Commander's Tower, which is always guarded, and killed the guard in front of Jon Snow's quarters without making a noise.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

That wight also behaved differently than other wights. It went specifically for Mormont. No other wight has displayed that level of intelligence.

In the books,
    the wight was able to sneak into the Lord Commander's Tower, which is always guarded, and killed the guard in front of Jon Snow's quarters without making a noise.

Yeah it shows some intelligence for sure, grabbing a sword in the show and closing the door behind Jon.

The ones in the recent scenes were specifically trying to free the captured wight, so I wonder if that one had a mission to assassinate Mormont or something. The Night's King just stirring up shit while he waited. Or, he knew that it would set events in motion for Jon. Which is a scary thought.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    why else would the bank back her in a war she's likely to lose

The whole thing seems like a Westerosi style subprime mortage scam to me. Who else could she successfully raid to get more money after the war even if she did win? The bank would basically win the Game of Thrones by owning the Iron Throne forever via debt interest.

The House always wins. When the Night King wins he's going to just sigh as he inherited Westeros debt.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    "*siiiiiigh*...time for another 8000 year plot to conquer the Free Cities...I was looking forward to just messing around in Dorne, too."

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    For a while I was almost convinced that the wight brought south would stop moving and just become a corpse again, either due to distance from the source of the reanimation or, more hilariously, the white walkers being able to tell where it is and what the living are trying to do with it, and deliberately withdrawing their magic to leave it a simple corpse to fuck with everybody.

Imagine what would have happened if, after all that build-up, the gang just dumped a dead body in front of Cersei and nothing happened. That would have pretty much ended all hopes of unifying the living.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    For a while I was almost convinced that the wight brought south would stop moving and just become a corpse again, either due to distance from the source of the reanimation or, more hilariously, the white walkers being able to tell where it is and what the living are trying to do with it, and deliberately withdrawing their magic to leave it a simple corpse to fuck with everybody.

Imagine what would have happened if, after all that build-up, the gang just dumped a dead body in front of Cersei and nothing happened. That would have pretty much ended all hopes of unifying the living.

Luckily for the living Cersei is Cersei so there was never any chance of that

wait did I say luckily, I mean the other thing

This discussion has been closed.