As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    We even know the price of that (besides a lot)?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
      No, but try to keep your billions on the down low so that they don't price it much higher than that.

3DS Friend Code:
      Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    • Options
      ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
      edited August 2018
      TimFiji wrote: »
      ObiFett wrote: »
      Would anyone be interesting in a PA night? Whether it's wing missions, group ratting, or just a teaching session I think it might be fun.

I'd be down. We definitely need to give some serious advance notice so I can get a specialized ship outfitted for whatever activity we decide and in the system we plan on starting at.

Im currently in Robigo, again, now that I have engineering unlocked. I was able to get my Python to 30ly+ jump range to make the jump from Robigo to Sothis in 2 jumps instead of the 4 I was doing prior. It's cut my runs from almost 20 minutes to closer to 10 minutes.

Gonna get my credits up to 2 billion and then splurge on another high end ship. I'm thinking a Cutter, but I've gotta figure out how to get my rank up first, I guess.

That's a heck of a credit buffer!

Shouldn't take too long, either, since I made about 350m tonight in about 3 hours. So two more nights of Robigo passenger farming and I can start the process of ranking up Empire so I can buy the Cutter.
      Would anyone be interesting in a PA night? Whether it's wing missions, group ratting, or just a teaching session I think it might be fun.

I'd be down. We definitely need to give some serious advance notice so I can get a specialized ship outfitted for whatever activity we decide and in the system we plan on starting at.

Im currently in Robigo, again, now that I have engineering unlocked. I was able to get my Python to 30ly+ jump range to make the jump from Robigo to Sothis in 2 jumps instead of the 4 I was doing prior. It's cut my runs from almost 20 minutes to closer to 10 minutes.

Gonna get my credits up to 2 billion and then splurge on another high end ship. I'm thinking a Cutter, but I've gotta figure out how to get my rank up first, I guess.

That's a heck of a credit buffer!

Gotta be ready for that day 1 fleet carrier purchase.

I didn't realize these were coming, but now I am happy I am stockpiling credits. After looking this up, though, it sounds like only squadrons will be able to purchase them? And only if the squadron has a certain number of active pilots. I assume most people around here are in various wings and I assume wings will likely be formed into squadrons. I think it would be cool if we got a PA Squadron going whenever those hit.

ObiFett on
    • Options
      Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
      How much seed money do I need to start these passenger missions? I reckon I have about 35mil I can spend right now.

• Options
      Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
      Cobalt60 wrote: »
      How much seed money do I need to start these passenger missions? I reckon I have about 35mil I can spend right now.
      You can fit a type 6 using that easy.

Though the ideal ship is a Python which will be closer to sixty mil once you count outfitting

• Options

I keep a Beluga at the Hauser station, how do you fit your Python?

• Options
        LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
        I bought a Cobra Mk III last night, based on the recommendation of this thread.

Outfitted it with a fuel scoop, which I figured out how to use on my Sidewinder.

I had to fly to a different station to buy an auto-dock computer though, because the place where I bought my ship didn't have them.

So uh... now what?

I haven't quite figured out the point of this game yet.

• Options
        LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
        Strictly speaking, the Cobra is small enough that an auto-dock shouldn't be necessary, unless you really enjoy that soothing docking music! Just something to keep in mind if you want to cram in more cargo space/whatever.

Well, what do you want to do? The cobra can be a rare-trader, a bounty hunter in res-sites, a smuggler... it's really up to you. The strength, and weakness, of Elite is that you have to create your own narrative. Many newer player focus on upgrading their ship, and trading up as soon as they can, but the game doesn't really get more fun in the bigger ships, more the opposite imo.

One thing you could do with your cobra is doing the rare goods loop. This isn't commonly done anymore I think, since many other opportunities pay better, but it will take you to many places in the bubble and show you inhabited space. Just a suggestion!

• Options
        edited August 2018

Here's how my Python is fitted. Main thing is that the FSD has a grade 5 long range upgrade on it and many of the core internals are as min spec as possible and/or D grade so that I could get the weight low enough to hit that magical 30ly+ jump range. 30ly is ideal because the jump to Sothis is 59ly so at 30ly jump range you can make it in two jumps. But I made a billion using the Python above with a 6D power plant and a 6D distributor before I engineered the FSD. Only difference is that it was taking me 4 jumps. 2 extra jumps isn't that big of a deal really, but it does add a couple minutes onto the run time.

I run from Robigo Mines because I can take illegal passengers from there and never have to worry about being scanned by authorities since its anarchy at the Mines. Downside to mines is that it doesn't have a large landing pad, so Python is as big as you can go. I'd say I average 4m in each of the 6D and 5E cabins (20m total), then 2.5m in the 4E, and 1.3m in the two 3Es, which puts my average right at 25m per run. I've got it down to easily 4+ runs an hour with my engineering upgrade, so somewhere between 100m and 125m an hour.

ObiFett on
      • Options
        edited August 2018
        Lucascraft wrote: »

Outfitted it with a fuel scoop, which I figured out how to use on my Sidewinder.

I had to fly to a different station to buy an auto-dock computer though, because the place where I bought my ship didn't have them.

So uh... now what?

Its essentially an open world sandbox. So the point is to do what you find fun. For me it was hauling in the beginning. I took Data Delivery missions to make some early money and afford a Cobra with all the exploration bells and whistles. Then I spent probably a month doing the exploration game. I hit up tools that made a road to riches path for me and scanned lots of planets and systems. Then I read about Passenger missions, took the credits from exploring and bought a ship that could do Passenger missions. Did that for a week or so and took the money from that and bought much bigger ship with real guns and started gathering materials for engineering. This included landing on planets, investigating unknown signal sources (which led to combat much of the time), wake scanning, and exploration cartographics. I then took my new engineering capabilities and leveraged that to make my Passenger mission ship even more efficient and I am back to doing that. Once I get tired of Passenger missions, my plan is to go figure out a way to increase my naval rank in one of the major factions so I can buy one of the biggest ships.

Basically, figure out what you want to do and do it. There are lots of things to buy, plenty of combat to go around, exploration to no end (less than .1% of the systems have anyone's name attached to them), engineers to gain rep with in order to modify your ships, factions to align with and join in their territory struggle, and more.

Steam says I have 182 hours in the game. I'd say something like 40+ hours of that is just having the launcher open, so its probably closer to 140ish, and I still have tons I want to experience and accomplish in ED

ObiFett on
      • Options
        Lucascraft wrote: »

So uh... now what?

The point of the game is do whatever you enjoy doing in your spaceship. I could launch into a rant about endgame activities, community interaction, and group content, but I won't. Let's just say that the devs have been slowly fixing the problems.

If your goal is to acquire money, then you're going to want to look up the "road to riches" for some high value exploration scans. Do that until you can outfit a ship for bulk passenger missions and then run passenger missions out of Robigo.

But again, just try to find something that you find fun and do that.

3DS Friend Code:
      • Options
        crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular

Here's how my Python is fitted. Main thing is that the FSD has a grade 5 long range upgrade on it and many of the core internals are as min spec as possible and/or D grade so that I could get the weight low enough to hit that magical 30ly+ jump range. 30ly is ideal because the jump to Sothis is 59ly so at 30ly jump range you can make it in two jumps. But I made a billion using the Python above with a 6D power plant and a 6D distributor before I engineered the FSD. Only difference is that it was taking me 4 jumps. 2 extra jumps isn't that big of a deal really, but it does add a couple minutes onto the run time.

I run from Robigo Mines because I can take illegal passengers from there and never have to worry about being scanned by authorities since its anarchy at the Mines. Downside to mines is that it doesn't have a large landing pad, so Python is as big as you can go. I'd say I average 4m in each of the 6D and 5E cabins (20m total), then 2.5m in the 4E, and 1.3m in the two 3Es, which puts my average right at 25m per run. I've got it down to easily 4+ runs an hour with my engineering upgrade, so somewhere between 100m and 125m an hour.

Hmm... I think I have ~68 million cr. You're saying I could outfit a Python for that and run passenger missions and make it back in a few runs?

• Options
        edited August 2018

Hmm... I think I have ~68 million cr. You're saying I could outfit a Python for that and run passenger missions and make it back in a few runs?

Yup, you'd make it back within an hour of first hitting Robigo. Couple things to note when you first start.

- You want to only pick up missions to Sirius Atmospherics. That takes you to Sothis.
        - When you first start turning in missions, take whatever gets you the most reputation as the reward. You wanna hit friendly so that you have access to more missions.
        - If its your first run into Sothis, you won't have any way to map out the system and know where to find Sirius Atmospherics. So either buy the System Data in Robigo, or hit the Nav beacon once in Sothis and head to A5. Once you are within 1000ls you should be able to see Sirius Atmospherics in your NAV.
        - Once friendly, look for 5m missions first, then anything thats 4m, then 3.5m plus to put into your larger passenger cabins. 2.5-2.7m missions will fit into 4E, and then you want to look for 1.5-1.7 missions to put into 3E and below.
        - There will be times that you have illegal passengers that cause enemies to be sent at you. Its pretty easy to avoid interdiction, so if you see something in comms about you being targeted, try and get interdicted and beat the interdiction. Its better to do that than for them to pop into Sirius or Robigo mines and scan you, since that will usually cause the passenger to eject.
        - Super optimization tip is to bookmark Robigo in your Galactic Map. Then when you are in Sothis and making the flight over to A5, pull up your galactic map, set path to Robigo and then relock onto A5/Sirius Atmospherics. That way once you are done scanning the Sirius beacon, you already have your course set to Robigo and make the jump.

ObiFett on
      • Options

You can easily make it back, but remember the golden rule of always having enough to cover your rebuy. Murphy's law is cruel.

3DS Friend Code:
      • Options
        So this is genuinely pretty fantastic for showing off why I love this game and am entirely enamoured with the weird juxtaposition between it's magnificence and absolute indifference to player excitement.

https://youtu.be/G3Bsc0I4cWM

• Options
        And don't forget to join PA E:D Discord even if you play on another system!

• Options
          yfvtl4fx0sjx.jpg

I got me an Anaconda finally. It handles pretty well for its size and honestly I kinda just love having bits of the ship you can see through the cock pit (the Krait also pulls off this magic trick).

I spent all evening hustling round material traders to get G5 FSD boost and G3 Speed scan DSS set up. I guess I probably ought to go out to get the Guardian FSD booster so I can make it really soar across the cosmos.

Regardless, behold! The Farout Babe 2.0 Finally a ship that can almost hold everything I'd want on my party boat. I'd give anything to be able to split two of those 4 size internals into a 2 and a 1. I guess only one of them once I get the guardian FSD booster.

• Options
          I accidentally bought a cutter! I got all 3 big ships. My anaconda is multipurpose, Corvette is combat, but what should I do with my cutter?

• Options
            I accidentally bought a cutter! I got all 3 big ships. My anaconda is multipurpose, Corvette is combat, but what should I do with my cutter?

It's the worlds most expensive and least necessary upgrade from a Type 9 to get like, 5 tons of extra cargo. Though afaik it's internals are better suited to get some shields while still having absurd cargo and it's also so flipping heavy that mounting some 'pirates fuck off' weapons on your hard points probably won't effect your jump range for shit.

So yeah, you just pay like 300mil to have a Type 9 that doesn't handle and look like ass.

• Options
            That's right, they FINALLY upgraded the type 7 and 9 to not be hot garbage an update or two ago right?

Anyway, don't underestimate the time spent in real space for your cargo runs. The type 9 is glacial while the cutter can sprint through the mail slot at several hundred m/s

3DS Friend Code:
          • Options
            I tired the type 7 and between it needing a large pad and it overheating constantly I sold it after two trips.

The type 9 is perfectly serviceable in its niche of bulk haulage over small distance though.

• Options
            I did it as a kind of personal goal. Wanted all three though the Corvette is my favorite. Maybe I'll turn it into a glorified hauler / collector.

• Options
              I did it as a kind of personal goal. Wanted all three though the Corvette is my favorite. Maybe I'll turn it into a glorified hauler / collector.

This is my goal, too. I'm about 2 sessions away from having 2b credits banked and I'm excited to start ranking up and buying/fitting them out

• Options
              I tired the type 7 and between it needing a large pad and it overheating constantly I sold it after two trips.

The type 9 is perfectly serviceable in its niche of bulk haulage over small distance though.

The type 7 is pretty much two meters too tall to fit in a medium hangar. Pretty much the pinnacle of bad design. That's like designing a cargo ship that just barely can't fit through the Panama or suez canals, but not going so big that you can be profitable on other trade routes.

3DS Friend Code:
            • Options
              Honestly unless there were stations that only had small pads there was always going to be a middle ground ship that got hosed because traders don’t have a variety of builds or needs.

Maybe if the Type 6 got better jump ranges and the Type 7 was medium? So it’d be Jumps, Merium pads and Big for the three cargo ships.

• Options
              SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
              Okay, cosmonaut comrades, it's time to spin our chairs around and real talk.

I quit ED some time towards the end of last year out of a combination of complete disinterest in the weekly requirements of the power play mechanic and anger at a bullshit AI exploit (a ship suicide-rammed my cockpit twice in a row).

Now that I have a VR headset full-time (a Samsung Odyssey, which I know works fantastically with HOTAS experiences), I'm thinking about brushing the cobwebs out of my Python and getting back in. But I don't want to fall into the same trap as last time. I liked passenger delivery for big bucks and the occasional combat. I strongly disliked any sort of rover missions. If the most I can possibly muster myself to care about power play is occasionally reading inspirational quotes from a blue-haired abolitionist space princess, what would you guys recommend I do to get back into the game?

• Options
              SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
              Maybe find something with a nice big cockpit and go on an exploring jag for a while?

aTBDrQE.jpg
            • Options
              Get involved with the Aisling Duval Power Play discord and churn out whatever stuff they're suggesting?

• Options
              I kind of want to start Thargoid hunting. Any suggestions for starting?

• Options
                39wcf5100e84.jpg

Shopping spree time

• Options
                XandarXandar Registered User regular
                edited August 2018

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1loy4TRNhM07Azf_ib01OIurujTcNX-L1Y1NYFy59i4M/mobilebasic

I've not tried this (yet) but the doctrine seems sound and the guide/walk through detailed.

Xandar on
                OsokC8u.png
              • Options
                39wcf5100e84.jpg

Shopping spree time

I got about 2 billion in assets and 50 million to my name. I'm future you!

• Options
                  Xandar wrote: »

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1loy4TRNhM07Azf_ib01OIurujTcNX-L1Y1NYFy59i4M/mobilebasic

I've not tried this (yet) but the doctrine seems sound and the guide/walk through detailed.

They recommend a lot of stuff I'm not cool with like switching from my HOTAS to KBAM, downloading an auto hotkey program, etc. I really dislike how I have to change how I play just to succeed at the new content. Maybe I'll try it as I am and see how it goes.

• Options
                    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
                    I feel like the people who insist on mouse control just haven't spent time with a decent HOTAS; one that uses hall effect sensors instead of crappy potentiometers. I will grant that such sticks are pricey, and KBAM is not.

I do support macro-ing up your pips, though. Makes a huge difference. Your HOTAS probably came with software that'll do it for you.

• Options
                    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
                    I prefer a HOTAS for these games, but relative mouse in Elite is just so damn powerful for FA off. And PvP rewards PP sniping because hulls are so stinking strong (when facing a pvp player) that it takes ages to fight.

• Options
                    Call me crazy, but I love my T-10 flying fortress haha.

• Options
                      Honestly I'd kinda dig if the larger craft were a little less maneuverable. It seems weird that, even at that absurd size, turret weapons still aren't meta on them.

Like I get that Elite Commanders aren't flying 'proper' ships of the line (the Corvette is the closest and even then is described as only operating in fringe sector patrol groups) but it feels like our biggest should be all about turret broad sides and stuff.

• Options
                      edited August 2018
                      It's not an agility issue that keeps turrets out of the spotlight. The problem with turreted weapons is the drop in performance from gimballed to turreted is FAR greater than the drop off from fixed to gimballed. There are also a lot of missing turreted weapons like all of the huge weapons and large multicannon.

The disparity is enough to insure that a pure turret boat will never be a good decision. I do run a few turrets on my corvette, but the lions share of my firepower is fixed. The turrets are only there to help against threats that have a tremendous agility advantage over me but a huge disadvantage in terms of shield and hull strength.

General_Armchair on
                      3DS Friend Code:
                    • Options
                      They could probably create something interesting by upping the DPS but giving a turning rate to turrets.

Such that fast ships doing jousting runs can avoid a large portion of turret fire but ones trying to do tight dog fighting turns will get peppered.

• Options
                      edited August 2018
                      Ok, so I've been looking at builds and ships and I think for my first spending spree I am going to pick up the following ships (700m credit total):

Diamondback Explorer in a Taxi Role to shuttle me around the bubble. Once I get the FSD engineered all the way it will have a jump range of 60ly+, no more taking forever to get from Robigo to Jameson Memorial or whatever.

Fer-de-lance in a Bounty Hunter Role for all my PvE combat fun. This little guy will be my go to for when I want to run combat and bounty hunting.

Type-9 in a Trader/Hauler Role. Haven't done too much extensive trading or hauling, but this should give me the cargo space to do what I need.

Anaconda in a Mining Role. I haven't mined even once, so this will definitely be jumping in at the deep end.

????? in an exploration build. I don't have any ideas for what I should do here. I would like a dedicated exploration ship, but can't really figure out the best model or build for that. Suggestions for good exploration builds would be welcome. Credits are no object.

I still have my Python for Passenger missions and my Krait as my all-rounder. Will probably use the above ships to grind out ranks and credits in order to unlock the ability to buy Federation/Alliance ships. Future plans involve a Cutter for PowerPlay shenanigans and a Corvette for Combat Zone shenanigans.

ObiFett on