Options

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Oh dude, even I will sometimes go out of my way to blow up an unshielded trader in Open.

It is such a major pet peeve of mine.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    Why would you do that Axen? I mean, roleplaying a murder-hobo is one thing, fair enough, but it's a pretty dickish thing to do if they are just minding their own business. Why does it matter if they are un-shielded? To be fair, with the über-engineered ships you are (or were at least, it's been a long time since I did CGs) likely to encounter being flown by gankers at the populated spots, the shields that are reasonable to equip on an optimised trader will make very little difference anyway. And against NPCs, who needs shields on a trader?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't really understand the mentality of trying to blow up a ship because they didn't build the way you think they should. Someone tried to do that to me because I didn't have the amount of shield cells they considered mandatory.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Oh dude, even I will sometimes go out of my way to blow up an unshielded trader in Open.

And this is why so many people don't play in Open.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Mainly because I trade in Open a lot. I even do trading CGs in Open. All of my trading ships are equipped with shields and countermeasures. When doing CGs I'll get interdicted a fair amount of the time, but with shields and countermeasures I can escape most of the time.

A lot of the people who complain about PvP in Open are the same people flying completely defenseless trade ships stripped down for maximum profit per hour where their rebuy cost far exceeds any profit they may make from their cargo. These same people completely ignore all the tools the game gives you access to to survive. As someone who enjoys trading in Open this sentiment really annoys me. Put some shields on, have some Chaff, be ready to High Wake, pay attention to the radar, don't take the most obvious route to a station during a CG, submit to an interdiction. It's truly not that hard to escape and as a great bonus it causes a lot of would be PKers to lose their goddamn minds.

If you're trading in Open don't complain about getting killed if you're completely ignoring all the things that can help you survive.

If you're looking to just grind money or rep at the latest hot spot then play Solo or Group, that's what I do.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I mean, unless you're hanging around CG's or power play frontlines, you absolutely do make your re-buy off of the cargo space that could've being a shield.

Because you're really unlikely to get near another player full stop and even less likely to come across the goose who blows you out of the sky without even asking you to drop cargo first.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »

And this is why so many people don't play in Open.

The devs claim Open play far outweighs solo/PG play.

• Options
    TBH I think they might as well just force open and then actually commit to MMO style features.

Rather than a weird half life we have where it's primarily an MMO with MMO slogs and MMO lack of player agency but also everything is primarily a single player experience because you hardly interact with other players and all features must work in solo or small groups.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I used to do a lot of bulk trading and the rebuy cost was peanuts. What hurt was the prospect of losing several hundred tons of palladium. The profit margin on the high roller goods was fairly small and losing even a small chunk of your cargo would eat up your profit fast.
    I mean, unless you're hanging around CG's or power play frontlines, you absolutely do make your re-buy off of the cargo space that could've being a shield.

Because you're really unlikely to get near another player full stop and even less likely to come across the goose who blows you out of the sky without even asking you to drop cargo first.

Especially if you are bulk trading in a mega hauler. The big ships could suck a station dry of the profitable stuff by itself in a day or so. It was in your best interest to find a good unpopulated system to harvest for yourself since the town wasn't big enough for multiple traders, much less a pirate to hang around for the one cargo ship moving hundreds of tons of goods around.

The community goal stuff is a different beast though. One should approach that with a blockade runner mentality.

Edit:
    The Imperial clipper is still makes for a pretty good blockade runner considering its mix of cargo capacity and top speed. With engineered drives, it stands a decent chance of being to outrun a pirate in real space.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Engineering isn't nearly as bad of a slog as I was led to believe it would be. I hit up Felicity Farseer for the first time over the weekend and as of last night I was putting Grade 5 Range mods on my FSDs. Getting some of the materials was a bit obtuse, but thankfully there are a ton of tools to help make them easier to find. Got my decked out Krait up to 30ly jump range and am looking forward doing the same to my Python once I get some more Chemical Processors. The good thing is that doing this Engineer stuff pushed me into the SRV for the first real time. And I had a lot of fun in there. Also, it forced me to explore more USS and take on more combat missions, which again is really fun.

Speaking of combat, I don't get Conflict Zones. I tried taking a bunch of missions that required me to enter a combat zone and kill stuff. So I found a low intensity one thinking that would be my speed. It was not. I think I killed one dude and then what felt like the entire furball turned their guns on me and melted me very very quickly. Are conflict zones purely for wings? Or are those areas meant for only the top level combat ships decked out to the nines?

• Options
    Some engineers are more obnoxious to do business with than others...

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    A buddy of mine noticed I was playing this on PS4 last night. He invited me to a group and took me out to an asteroid field that had random pirates and space police flying around it. I'm not sure why that was happening there from a "does this make any sense" standpoint, but regardless of why this random-ass asteroid belt had a lot of activity in it, we went there.

And he murdered a few wanted dudes for me, making sure I always got a hit on each one. I went from having 1000 credits to my name to like 400,000. So I've got a good little nest egg now.

My buddy's advice was to just buy a few upgrades for my sidewinder, and do more exploring and try out some different mission types before I blow all my money on a new ship. Basically learn the basics on the Sidewinder before things get expensive. Seemed like good advice to me. So I bought a better frame drive, and a couple other things on his recommendation. Tonight when I get home from work I'll fly around a bit on my own and see what sort of trouble I can get into.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I would probably grab an Eagle in your shoes. It has essentially the same weaknesses as the Sidewinder but looks cooler and is better in a fight. The sidie is better than the eagle at hauling stuff I think, but they're both still terrible at that.

Make sure that you have a fuel scoop. IMO always have a fuel scoop unless you are 100% certain that you won't need it (combat ship that never leaves a system or trade ship operating on a known route). It can be a crummy small scoop that you save for emergencies, but it's good to always have one.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I’ve puttered around in the bubble in my FAS without a fuel scoop before. It’s doable, but definitely made me a little uneasy.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    I don't even know what a Fuel Scoop is/does. This is probably fantastic advice, but I have no context for it.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I don't even know what a Fuel Scoop is/does. This is probably fantastic advice, but I have no context for it.

It allows you to refill your fuel tank by flying near stars in supercruise, instead of having to find a station and refuel. Super useful just for moving around (sometimes the quickest routes take you through a series of uninhabited systems) and absolutely required for any kind of exploring or frontier work.

• Options
    To expand upon that, only certain types of stars are suitable for scooping. KGB-FOAM is a popular mnemonic trick to remember which types are star are eligible.

An alternative phrase is "Oh Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me", and it gets the star classifications arranged in their proper location on the spectrum, but imo it's easier to imagine some kind of dastardly soviet gadget from a Bond movie.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I like FOG-KBAM

• Options
    Oh!

Question from last night.

I was browsing around on the Galaxy map and somehow I lost my cursor. I do not have the ability to interact with planets and select them anymore. I can scroll the map around and pan/zoom and stuff, but I do not have the ability to actually click on anything on the map. How do I get my cursor back on that screen?

Reminder, I'm playing on PS4 and playing with a controller.

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    One of the tabs in the galaxy map should have an option to show a grid. I think you might have turned it off.

• Options
    I started trying to re-engineer equipment last night. Got stopped by the fact that I need to re-do all of these low level upgrades. Since my materials inventory hadn't been touched since the change, my supply of materials was completely top heavy.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I've found that low-level upgrades only need a couple rolls to max out. You could turn a handful of those high-end mats into all the low-end stuff you'll ever need at a material trader.

Or just scoop up new mats. I tend to hoover up everything nearby, when in between waves in a haz res.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    It's just a bit of a hassle since I'm basically looking over the full spectrum of mats for the full spectrum of upgrades all at once. Too many recipes to juggle, and the material traders aren't anywhere convenient like the engineers themselves or Jameson Memorial. The problem will sort itself out in time as I collect stuff.

Does anyone know off the top of their head how the ax multicannon Taipan SLF stacks up against the multicannon condor when in AI hands against Terran targets? Since my corvette build is energy heavy, I like having a multicannon SLF on hand to help bust large ships once I've burnt their shields down.

edit:
    Testing out an AI AX Taipan in a haz rez. Not very impressed. Although most of these ships tonight are small fry that the beam imperial fighter is best against.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    It's just a bit of a hassle since I'm basically looking over the full spectrum of mats for the full spectrum of upgrades all at once. Too many recipes to juggle, and the material traders aren't anywhere convenient like the engineers themselves or Jameson Memorial. The problem will sort itself out in time as I collect stuff.

Does anyone know off the top of their head how the ax multicannon Taipan SLF stacks up against the multicannon condor when in AI hands against Terran targets? Since my corvette build is energy heavy, I like having a multicannon SLF on hand to help bust large ships once I've burnt their shields down.

edit:
    Testing out an AI AX Taipan in a haz rez. Not very impressed. Although most of these ships tonight are small fry that the beam imperial fighter is best against.

Do you use/know about ED: Engineer?

And yes, they are spread out too dang much. However, once you get a pin in for each one, it gets a tad easier in the last patch because now you can visit any rank 1 engineer for a blueprint and slap an experimental on your mod. Not so great for weapons or defensive mods, but for the FSD/Thrusters/PD/PP (if you always do armored like me) you can save some time.

So like you go to Palin, pin dirty drives, and never have to visit him again for dirty drives. You can roll 1 to 5 remotely, then visit an in-bubble engineer with Thrusters, and complete it.

Bigity on
  • Options
    I use it, but keeping track of the requirements for ranks 1-5 of thrusters, sensors, fsd, wake scanner, shields, shield boosters, beam lasers, pretty much everything is too much.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Can't argue with that.

• Options
    The whole engineering thing seems like a grasping attempt to create content that isn't immediately 'done' for people with billions of credits.

• Options
    eh, I like it. Its a chase that requires actual tasks and trying out new activities with the reward of being able to customize your ship even more.

• Options
    The whole engineering thing seems like a grasping attempt to create content that isn't immediately 'done' for people with billions of credits.
    It's partly that, partly a scheme to coerce people who don't care about planetary operations to buy Horizons.

The old system was worse since it was a terrible mess of layered RNG. My current problems stem entirely from the fact that my inventory hasn't had much opportunity to accumulate low and mid tier resources since the change. Things that I had thrown away in bulk back when all materials shared one storage limit. That will change as I complete missions and loiter around fights with my collector limpets.

Speaking of collector limpets, I am still completely stunned that the only engineering options for them are lightweight, shielded, and reinforced. How about some engineering options that increase limpet range, lifespan, speed, power draw, or deployment limits? You know, the important stats that actually drive decisions about which limit controller to use?

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Unlocked Felicity Farseer today, and immediately got her to grade 5 by selling 12 million credits worth of scan data.

Man, there sure are a lot of brown dwarf stars in between her and the planet I got a meta-alloy from (which was nearly 400 ly away). Had a bit of a panic on my way back, because the chunk of brown dwarf stars at the end of the route has so many in a row that I couldn't get to the next scoopable star on my route despite completely filling my two grade-4 fuel tanks on the last scoopable star I came across. Thankfully, switching to an "economical" route brought me to a red dwarf in just two small jumps.

Next project: farm a bunch of materials to upgrade the 5A FSD on my Imperial Clipper.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    This screenshot made me think:

6ltm8vcx2gd11.jpg

It's amazing how much more ambience and atmosphere (har har) the planets with mist have.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Would anyone be interesting in a PA night? Whether it's wing missions, group ratting, or just a teaching session I think it might be fun.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      edited August 2018
      I just went out and did a bounty mission for a dude. Killed him with the help of some Federation ships. And now I want to go home and cash in this quest.

But I've got a weird problem or maybe a bug. My dude is looking straight up out of the roof of his ship and I can't bring his focus down to look at any of my instrumentation. It's like my guy's neck is stuck looking straight up. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Edit: nevermind, fixed it. Clicking the Right Thumbstick solved the problem.

Lucascraft on
    • Options
      cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Would anyone be interesting in a PA night? Whether it's wing missions, group ratting, or just a teaching session I think it might be fun.
      I would, but I'm on Xbone.

• Options
      edited August 2018

I'd be down. We definitely need to give some serious advance notice so I can get a specialized ship outfitted for whatever activity we decide and in the system we plan on starting at.

Im currently in Robigo, again, now that I have engineering unlocked. I was able to get my Python to 30ly+ jump range to make the jump from Robigo to Sothis in 2 jumps instead of the 4 I was doing prior. It's cut my runs from almost 20 minutes to closer to 10 minutes.

Gonna get my credits up to 2 billion and then splurge on another high end ship. I'm thinking a Cutter, but I've gotta figure out how to get my rank up first, I guess.

ObiFett on
    • Options

I'm interested! On PC here. I really do wish cross-play was available.

• Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      ObiFett wrote: »

I'd be down. We definitely need to give some serious advance notice so I can get a specialized ship outfitted for whatever activity we decide and in the system we plan on starting at.

Im currently in Robigo, again, now that I have engineering unlocked. I was able to get my Python to 30ly+ jump range to make the jump from Robigo to Sothis in 2 jumps instead of the 4 I was doing prior. It's cut my runs from almost 20 minutes to closer to 10 minutes.

Gonna get my credits up to 2 billion and then splurge on another high end ship. I'm thinking a Cutter, but I've gotta figure out how to get my rank up first, I guess.

That's a heck of a credit buffer!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Sure!

Though I'd be participating from halfway to the galactic core. :)

5gsowHm.png
      • Options
        XandarXandar Registered User regular

PC here. I would be interested/ down for this. @AxenMoon had a private group set up. Not sure if he is still active.

Syngyne, you could multi crew if you want? I don't know how fun shooting turrets is, but fighters are a blast to zoom around in.

OsokC8u.png
      • Options
        edited August 2018
        ObiFett wrote: »

That's a heck of a credit buffer!

Gotta be ready for that day 1 fleet carrier purchase.

General_Armchair on
        3DS Friend Code: