As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    TimFiji wrote: »
    I'd take them out even if you're a billionaire. They give you a little bit more survivability, but your jump range gets hosed and your repair cost goes through the roof. A few builds might want them, but for the most part you've done fucked up if your shields drop in the first place.

The only ship I've put them on is my Thargoid hunter.

Thargoid killing ships have to have hull and HRPs of some kind. They do alot of passthrough damage straight to your ship even while shields are up.

• Options
    TimFiji wrote: »
    So our player faction has taken the plurality in the system, but how does actually taking control work? Do I need to take majority?

If you mean a PMF - you can force a war for control of the system by increasing/decreasing various percentages of other factions. You can end up in control of a system without any stations and weird stuff though. I suggest keeping your percentages in range with the other factions to force wars for control of assets (stations, outposts, bases) first, then take over the system when you have plenty of bases to generate some passive influence (from people turning in missions, bounties, etc at those stations).

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I’d take the bulkheads out unless you’re a billionaire. They’re one of the worst investment decisions in the game.

Nah, it's all figured out except the exact formula(s) used by FDev to calculate final ratings every week, and some people are dang close.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Lots of info coming out about Chapter 3. Two new ships: Alliance Crusader and Krait Phantom. New Guardian Fighters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9hu4DXno5w

And settlements on the planets that will supposedly lead to guardian stuff including a Guardian Ship

I’m calling BS on these fighters.

They show pilots in the cockpits, when wr know all fighters are controlled by ~telepresence~

All the existing SLFs have a pilot in the cockpit too. Hologram or something. Whatever.

I have to say those new ships look pretty slick and are much more interesting than any of the others they've added since I've been away. I might come back and play around some! What I'm really looking for is new features and stuff to do though.

Same here. Kinda put the game down recently, hoping some nice stuff in Q4 update brings me back. For me specifically, a big one is Open power play.

• Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JvNcqlwSlA

I'm genuinely excited about the Gnosis trip, even though I know it'll end up with half the player base stuck in a couple of systems with a load of Thargoids and a couple of CGs.

dylman on
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Is it going far? I'd like to go but I don't want to jump back.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
      Did I hear there was a mining rework coming?

I always enjoyed the mining 'mini-game', I just couldn't make any money doing it.

• Options
      dylmandylman Registered User regular
      The Gnosis
      Well, the jump didn't happen. The Gnosis was attacked mid-jump and ended up in the system next door needing repair. There's apparently a CG to repair it, but no-one actually there can get to the mission board to see it. And in true FDev style, the Galnet article went up 6 hours early, spoiling the "surprise".

The forums and Reddit are, predictably, on fire. Well, more so than usual anyway.

• Options
      SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
      dylman wrote: »
      The Gnosis
      Well, the jump didn't happen. The Gnosis was attacked mid-jump and ended up in the system next door needing repair. There's apparently a CG to repair it, but no-one actually there can get to the mission board to see it. And in true FDev style, the Galnet article went up 6 hours early, spoiling the "surprise".

The forums and Reddit are, predictably, on fire. Well, more so than usual anyway.
      Not only that, but for a while, the Gnosis still had a no fire zone active, so pilots who were trying to defend themselves got fined, and if destroyed, ended up in a holding facility 1000+Ly from the Gnosis.

5gsowHm.png
    • Options
      ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
      ... they are so bad at this.

• Options
      SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
      It gets even better- apparently Cone Sector was never meant to be accessible at all. They just let the community run with it and used the attack to prevent the actual jump.

5gsowHm.png
    • Options
      DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
      Syngyne wrote: »
      It gets even better- apparently Cone Sector was never meant to be accessible at all. They just let the community run with it and used the attack to prevent the actual jump.

I've really lost so much of my once very high enthusiasm for this game because of things like this. It's really a shame.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
    • Options
      Yea, I've basically quit - and I really enjoyed PowerPlay despite its sorry state.

Q4 is gonna have to be big or I'm shelving it forever (bye bye x52 pro HOTAS I barely knew ye - maybe the new mechwarrior will have HOTAS support). And they are already backing off on Q4 features (fleet carriers).

• Options
      General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
      Fleet carriers are the feature that I gave most of a damn about.

3DS Friend Code:
      Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    • Options
      Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
      Honestly I just kinda wish they'd shelve Goids n' Guardians and focus on creating more interesting behaviour in the bubble.

They spend all this time creating big story content and all it does is create pilot who expect that this next drip fed quest will be the one that finally makes Elite their dream game or burns people out making the game feel far smaller than it is.

For all their talk about how the game is about personal narratives their updates do so little to allow you to express those outside of ship acquisition and exploration landmarks.

• Options
      edited September 2018
      If the new exploration and mining gameplay lives upto what they talked about I'll still be excited to try it out. I'd be much happier with the game if it had two things: a fixed mission system (I endup with bugged missions very often, extremely frustrating) and more interesting exploration (actual mechanics beyond the honk, interesting stuff to find). Just those two things would up my enjoyment immensely to where I could overlook the other issues much more easily.

If the next update is a let down...sigh. I'll be pretty sad about it. Either way on the plus side Rebel Galaxy Outlaws is looking super rad! I'm very excited for that.

DarkMecha on
    • Options
      What even are the exploration/mining changes? Have they actually outlined specifics that sound promising, or is it just more hot air vague promises?

3DS Friend Code:
    • Options
      BasilBasil Registered User regular
      edited September 2018
      I feel like I understand why the original pitch trailer they made looked more like instanced adventures than an open world.

They shitcanned the whole idea and have regretted it ever since.

Basil on
      9KmX8eN.jpg
    • Options
      And they are kinda stuck with what they have now, because the forums melt any time they mention substantial changes.

• Options
      edited September 2018
      What even are the exploration/mining changes? Have they actually outlined specifics that sound promising, or is it just more hot air vague promises?

This is just from memory but:

Exploration
      • Addition of space "weather" effects like ion storms etc
      • Addition of new things to find in space with more interactivity
      • New planetary surface probe mechanics - you fire probes from your ship and then they scan the planet, and it takes several to fully map the planet's surface. This returns a visual map of the surface minerals and other actual data.
      xd5pz2iYNQQ9HcaH89Vm--dk0II7MJdl0Sj3DKRtqjg.png?s=e3031bb18c545c4fe0c82019c41440e4

Mining
      • Three new types of mining - surface, deep core, explosive
      • Surface mining has you shaving delicate elements off the surface
      • Core mining has you boring at specific points
      • Explosive has you planting detonation charges at specific points to split the asteroid
      • Prospecting limpets will create a visual mineral map overlay of the asteroid's contents
      • New asteroid types kind of like in EVE Online
      Screenshot_2017_10_09_12.00.12.0.png

james-morgan-elite-010.jpg?1423994761

james-morgan-elite-011.jpg?1423994762

So IF they actually do what they have said with these two, I'm actually rather excited about it because it would make exploration and mining much more interesting. The combat is already great. Combine these two with a more consistently functioning mission system and things are much better IMO.

Edit - Ah here under the 3.3 update info: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/397639-Elite-Dangerous-2018-Roadmap-Regularly-Updated

So according to that we are still getting those plus a new lighting model, squadrons, The Codex, and dedicated mission servers to help reduce bugs etc (yay!). What was pushed back is the power play changes, ice planet surface rework, and player carriers.

DarkMecha on
    • Options
    • Options
      TubeTube Registered User admin
      Those new Guardian SLFs are the most interesting design the game has seen in a long time.

• Options
    • Options
      SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
      Finally got around to upgrading my FSD mod on my exploration ship in preparation for the next Distant Worlds expedition. Up to 46.3LY and I can probably push that a bit further.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    • Options
      ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
      Not bad at all. What are you flying?

• Options
      Asp Explorer, but I use an Anaconda (or an Orca) for moneymaking. I might repurpose the Anaconda for exploration when I outfit my Cutter for trading because the jump range can be a good bit higher than an Asp, but that's a long ways off.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    • Options
      ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
      All of that looks and sounds amazing

• Options
      3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
      Hmmmm, maybe it'll be time to dust off the ol' Conda.

• Options
      LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
      This sounds interesting, looks like this article went up earlier than it should have:

https://pcgamesn.com/elite-dangerous/elite-dangerous-scenario-missions

More detailed and living background-stuff is always nice. Tonight is the first livestream: Exploration, Codex and Visual Improvements – 18 October (19:00 BST)

• Options
      article wrote:
      “All the things you’ve seen there are things players are already used to doing,” Woods says. “But we’re giving it more meaning and clarity.”

This is definitely a good line that's 90% of what Elite needs to provide.

• Options
      I missed the exploration bits, did someone catch those?

aTBDrQE.jpg
    • Options
      edited October 2018
      The video is wrapping up now, should be posted to their YT channel soon. This is a BIG update. They have overhauled a lot of UI stuff, the Codex is a really cool addition. The system and surface exploration is freaking cool IMO, very sciency game play so if you like that kind of thing you will be quite happy with it. It's also the new way to find USS and USS now work entirely differently. Upon entering a system USS are generated but hidden until you find them, and they all persist for a set time after being generated so you can leave them and come back instead of them instantly disappearing.

There is more than that too - some new changes to the back ground sim, scenarios (not sure what that is yet), squadrons (guilds basically, with chat channels and in-game UI ect), mining overhaul (3 mining methods, all new asteroid models, asteroid scanning system ect), new anomalies to discover in space and presumably on planets as well, and some new ships!

**Edit- Just read the article posted above about scenarios. OH MAN!!! This is amazing! It's like nearly all the major things I've wanted added to ED all in one update! I am super hype for this!!!

DarkMecha on
    • Options
      TubeTube Registered User admin
      These are definitely big, bold changes. It's going to be a bit of a nightmare getting used to a new UI (even if it's objectively a superior one). This feels more like a relaunch than anything else at this point, as though they're getting the game to the place they would have had it at launch if they'd had the time and resources.

I'm still not sure I'll come back for now, aside from for a quick try out of all the new shit. I'm really interested in what they do next though.

• Options
      They appear nice on the surface, but I'm still holding out for PP changes. That is about my only interest in the game, and it's a cesspool currently.

• Options
      The exploration changes interest me so far as making it more interesting to track down specific unidentified signal sources.

I'm more interested in mining. Hopefully it will be more interesting AND more lucrative than the pirates that harass me when mining.

Also I want my fleet carrier. A nice big mobile home away from home.

3DS Friend Code:
    • Options
      The exploration changes interest me so far as making it more interesting to track down specific unidentified signal sources.

I'm more interested in mining. Hopefully it will be more interesting AND more lucrative than the pirates that harass me when mining.

Also I want my fleet carrier. A nice big mobile home away from home.

Not sure if you know, but carriers were nixed from Chapter 4 update and pushed back.

• Options
      I'm aware that they got pushed back. I'm just expressing that I still want them.

3DS Friend Code:
    • Options
      The changes seem aimed at creating more depth in common activities and a better illusion of a persistent universe.

So that's good.

Mining will probably still suck ass for money because money balance is always a joke of finding the dumbest offer going and then farming it till you don't need it anymore.

• Options
      ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular