As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] Job Action trailer out now. So shiny!

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Also, is there a good online guide out there? The official guide on the website seems... lacking

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I made a cat person arcanist named Rubh Maihedd last night. Literally just went through the intro, though.

What is the actual difference between the three magic classes? I read the descriptions but it wasn’t terribly clear.

black mage does the most raw damage, summoner is the most mobile and suffers the least from having to avoid mechanics, red mage does the least damage but has a ton of utility including instantly resurrecting allies at basically any time

• Options
    Roegadyn
    Also, is there a good online guide out there? The official guide on the website seems... lacking

https://youtu.be/FwQf6H7ESo4

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Miqo'te
    Black Mage: Turret direct damage Mage. High DPS but no group utility. Needs to know the boss fights well to know where to stand to get the most out of their rotation.

Summoner: Damage is more focused on DoTs and Pets. Can spot heal and raise dead party members mid combat. Good AoE damage. Rotation is more complex than BLM or RDM. Shares levels with Scholar.

Red Mage: Easier rotation than BLM and SMN. Has spot heals and a few group buff and the Dual Cast ability can help raise dead party members easy. Very mobile. Be careful not to flip off a platform.

edit: That video works too.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hyur
    SMN can't spot heal. Physick scales with MND so it does basically nothing. So okay, they can heal you, but not for enough to matter.

The rez can be clutch though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Elezen
    Summoner also has a two minute long rotation which gives them the biggest losses in performance if they do fuck up

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Yeah at 70, physic on my SMN heals for about... 400.

On people with 30k health.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I don't know what most of those words mean!

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    What information are you looking for? Just class info, or other stuff about how the game works?

• Options
    Yeah, I guess, basic info on how the game works would be a good start. Sorry, it's been a while since I've played MMO, and I never got too into them to begin with.

Also I was looking at subscription options - it looks like the only way to get Heavensward is to buy the big collection?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Yeah, I guess, basic info on how the game works would be a good start. Sorry, it's been a while since I've played MMO, and I never got too into them to begin with.

Also I was looking at subscription options - it looks like the only way to get Heavensward is to buy the big collection?

Buying Stormblood includes Heavensward, and it's $40 for a digital download

• Options
    Javen wrote: »

Buying Stormblood includes Heavensward, and it's $40 for a digital download

Ah, okay, cool. I'm still on the fence a bit about subscribing but I am enjoying the game, so I may well end up pulling the trigger. Will probably buy expansions later, though, after I get through the core story, at least.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Roegadyn
    I also imagine buying Shadowbringer (or whatever the upcoming expansion is called) will include Heavensward and Stormblood, once it's released.

It's common for MMOs to never have to buy more than base game + 1 expansion to have access to all available content.

Javen on
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    So, after years of putting it off, I've finally dipped my toe into FFXIV.

So, now I'm playing a absolutly gorgeous cat boy Gladiator. After playing WoW for so long, I missed actually good looking men (I mean, the Blood Elf guys were pretty good looking...) but the Bishoneness is really nice.
    \
    Just tanked my first dungeon without incident, so I may just stick to the tanking classes.

• Options
    Roegadyn
    I also imagine buying Shadowbringer (or whatever the upcoming expansion is called) will include Heavensward and Stormblood, once it's released.

It's common for MMOs to never have to buy more than base game + 1 expansion to have access to all available content.

this is indeed going to be the case

• Options
    Roegadyn
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    So, after years of putting it off, I've finally dipped my toe into FFXIV.

So, now I'm playing a absolutly gorgeous cat boy Gladiator. After playing WoW for so long, I missed actually good looking men (I mean, the Blood Elf guys were pretty good looking...) but the Bishoneness is really nice.
    \
    Just tanked my first dungeon without incident, so I may just stick to the tanking classes.

the tank life is a good life

if you can handle the responsibility, your reward is the best queue times possible, save for specific niche scenarios

• Options
    If I preordered the new expansion would I get immediately access to the old ones?

• Options
    Roegadyn
    I'd like to get back into tanking; I really loved my Warrior.

But not when I don't know any of the boss mechanics

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hyur
    If I preordered the new expansion would I get immediately access to the old ones?

No and its dumb.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Roegadyn

If you pre-order, I don't think so. If you wait for the expansion to be released and then buy it, I think it would.

• Options
    That is very dumb. Oh well, I'll just see how far I get with the base game, and if I get desperate I'll go from there.

• Options
    Roegadyn
    the good news is just beating the main game questline will still take you a while, and there's a lot of side content to dive into, especially after you see the first set of credits

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Roegadyn
    There's lots to do in the 1-50 game; a lot of the stories are fun and the QoL improvements made alongside expansions also impact the early game.

Just try not to do much stuff at 50 once you do get there, since EXP gains until you get an expansion

Javen on
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    A lot of the stuff at 50, and 60 for that matter, don't actually award XP because they're intended for max level (at the time) people.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    In regards to preordering Shadowbringers, I believe you do get a pet and a pair of earrings that boost XP gain up to level 70 if you preorder, and they are available right now.

• Options
    Roegadyn
    Spearing of XP gain items, @Moriveth

I found that Hall of Novice or whatever the thing is that just has you go some basic trials related to your role to be really helpful getting back into the swing of things, and you get an item that increases XP gains from 1-30

• Options
    Spearing of XP gain items, @Moriveth

I found that Hall of Novice or whatever the thing is that just has you go some basic trials related to your role to be really helpful getting back into the swing of things, and you get an item that increases XP gains from 1-30

Ooh, okay! I'll check that out when I'm next on.

• Options
    Also did you get someone to send you a referral code so you get the hat that boosts XP gain at early levels? If not, someone can send you a code up until you pay for your first month I think.

You also get a fistbump emote and some other stuff I can't remember at the moment.

• Options
    I did not get a referral code, no!

• Options
    I can send you one if you want, but I'm only missing one item from referring people and I'm not in a rush so if someone else wants to they can go ahead.

• Options
    Roegadyn
    I did not get a referral code, no!

I think I have one now that I'm subbed, I can send them out

• Options
    I mean, whoever wants to can send me one if they like, I’m down for whatever

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    For game purchases you have the base game and the expansion. The expansion package should include both expansions. When the next expansion comes out in July this year, the expansion package should include all three expansions. Be sure to read the fine print as I think there are some versions around that don't include everything.

FFXIV is a massive multiplayer online rpg. The game is based around what is sometimes referred to as the holy trinity of a tank (holds threat and takes a beating), dps (damage oriented class who works to kill things as soon as possible), and healer (keeps people alive). Because of the damage patterns in FFXIV and the strength of the heals you will find that both tanks and healers are encouraged and at higher content difficulties expected to optimize their damage. If you are just playing through the story this is less important if you don't feel like it.

The game is similar to a regular Final Fantasy game in that it has a main story, sidequests, minigames (both bullshit and fun time wasters), and challenges. The main story quests are denoted by a meteor icon quest in the questlogs, on the mini-map, and above the quest giver's heads. There is also a UI element that is on by default which tells you what step of the Main Story Quest (MSQ) you are currently on. Sidequests that unlock group dungeons, classes or game features are denoted by a quest marker with a blue + sign icon. These are generally worthwhile picking up and completing. Regular sidequests are just the brown exclamation marks. They can give out some loot or xp and may just be a way of fleshing out a character or location. There isn't really any urgency to complete these, although a few give out fun stuff like minions (think cute non-combat pets that follow you around when you are not in an instanced dungeon). MSQ are generally requests to go and talk to people, fetch quests, a few bear ass kill/collect quests interspersed with solo story instances where you might fight alongside NPCs. Around level 18 or so you will get sent to a group dungeon that you will need to queue up for and complete with 3 other people. It is very easy and if you've read your ability descriptions you should be pretty well off. If it is the first time doing a dungeon, I'd suggest letting everyone else know and asking for pointers. At a bare minimum people tend to be more forgiving of mistakes and may provide some hints about what to do.

Depending on which class you select you will start in one of the three main city states. The first 10-15 levels of quests are going to be centered around the introduction to your character and the world as a nobody adventurer. The story is slightly different, but merges once you gain access to travel between the city states as part of the MSQ.

Note the that character class you choose at the start does not matter as once you complete the level 10 class quest on your first class you gain the ability to unlock other classes by visiting their guildhalls and speaking to the questgiver there (should be a blue + sign on your mini map/above the trainer's head).

The game has the following adventurer jobs (classes). Bracketed classes are the base classes if they exist that are upgraded to jobs when you receive your job stone for completing the level 30 class quest from your class trainer.

Tanks: Paladin (Gladiator - Uldah), Warrior (Maurader - Limsa Lominsa), Dark Knight - Ishgard (expansion unlock, must be able to visit Ishgard which is unlocked as part of the MSQ, starts at level 30)
    Healers: White Mage (Conjurer - Gridania), Scholar (Arcanist - Limsa Lominsa, arcanist is a dps class that forks into the scholar as a pet-based healer and summoner, a pet based damage over time class when you get your job stones. Leveling up one will level up the other), Astrologian - Ishgard (expansion unlock, starts at level 30)
    Ranged DPS: Bard (Archer - Gridania), Machinist - Ishgard (expansion unlock, starts at level 30).
    Caster DPS: Black Mage (Thamauturge - Uldah), Summoner (Arcanist - Limisa Lominsa, see comment about Scholar), Red Mage - Uldah (must own Stormblood expansion and have a character at level 50. Starts at level 50)
    Melee DPS: Monk (Pugilist - Uldah), Dragoon (Lancer - Gridania), Ninja (Rogue - Limsa Lominsa, you can't start as a rogue, but can switch to them at level 10), Samurai - Uldah (must own Stormblood expansion nad have a character at level 50. Starts at level 50).

There's lots more I can type out, so if there is a particular area you'd like me to delve into, let me know.

A few useful links:

Tanking 101
    Threat/Agro Management - How to make enemies beat up the right character.

What do all these stats do?
    Combat stats are divided into two types: Primary and Secondary stats
    For the sake of brevity, only the basic outline will be covered. Exceptions and "buts" which apply to high-end PvE content will not be mentioned due to added complexity and if you're at the point of optimising at that level, this info isn't for you.

Primary stats include Strength, Dexterity, Intellect, Mind and Vitality.
    Secondary stats include Critical Hit, Determination, Direct Hit, Tenacity, Skill Speed, Spell Speed and Piety.
    A "tertiary" stat is weapon damage. Weapon damage is king and any increase will make a very significant impact on your effectiveness.

Each combat class/job will have a preferred primary stat. For tanks, this is Vitality (tank damage dealt is based on Strength). Melee DPS except Rogues/Ninjas will favor Strength. Ranged physical DPS and Rogues/Ninjas want Dexterity. Casters will want Intellect and finally Healers want Mind. The primary stats will have a significant effect on all your abilities.

Secondary stats are a fair bit more complicated.
    Critical Hit - Increases the chance for a hit to deal extra damage as a critical hit. This stat also increases the severity of the critical hits.
    Direct Hit - Similar to Critical Hit, Direct Hits deal extra damage compared to a normal hit. Compared to critical hit, direct hits are lower severity, but occur more often. As with critical hit, this stat increases the severity of the direct hits in addition to increasing the chance a direct hit will occur. This stat can only be found on DPS role gear, however it can be melded via materia on Tank and Healer gear.
    Determination - Increases the potency of all skills and abilities.
    Skill Speed - Rather complex stat. It affects Damage over Time effects at around the same potency as Determination but has other effects in reducing the GCD of weaponskills. Advanced players who are aiming at optimising their play will seek certain amounts of skill speed. Value is dependant on job.
    Tenacity - A new stat introduced with 4.0 Stormblood. This stat replaces Parry and is only available on tank gear, and only affects jobs and classes of the Tank role. This stat increases damage done, reduces damage taken and increases the potency of healing spells and effects.
    Spell Speed - Similar to Skill Speed, this stat affects the cast time and the GCD of spells. Black Mages will sell their own mothers for more spell speed and as a result, the stat occupies a value higher than crit for them. It's still a good stat for any other caster, including healers as it also affects periodic effects such as Damage over Time effects and Heal over Time effects.
    Piety - This stat increases the maximum MP of class and jobs of the Healer role. It will not have any effect on Tank or DPS role classes. Piety also has the side-effect of increasing MP regeneration as the base regeneration is a function of maximum MP set at 2% every 3 seconds while in combat. The amount of MP desired by healers differs based on personal preference with some favouring a larger MP pool to have a strong reserve amount while others prefer minimal amounts of MP. As of 4.0 Stormblood, Piety is now considered as a full secondary stat, and has the same equipment stat caps as all the other secondary stats on all 4.0 and newer items.

For completionists (don't do it, some of these are insane)

FFXIV Content Checklist

This one won't mean anything to you now, but could be useful later

Masterlist of every FFXIV resource

A Beginner's Guide to FFXIV - A decent summary of a lot of useful things. You are probably looking for something like this.

• Options
    That beginner guide is fantastic, thanks!

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    I made a cat person arcanist named Rubh Maihedd last night. Literally just went through the intro, though.

What is the actual difference between the three magic classes? I read the descriptions but it wasn’t terribly clear.

So it seems like you were asking about the three magic classes a character can start the game as, and then got answers about the three DPS Mage types instead only partially covers your needs. Here's the deal with jobs currently. There are eight jobs that you can start the game with. Each of these upgrade into a more "advanced" form at level 30. One of these is special in that it upgrades into two possible advanced jobs, and that's one of the three starting Mage jobs.

Thaumaturges become Black Mages. Aggressive DPS, starting you out in the desert plutocracy Ul'Dah.

Conjurers become White Mages. The most straightforward of the three Healing jobs, with some damage power for soloing or for when team health is under control. You start out in the forest theocracy Gridania.

Arcanists become Scholars and Summoners. You have to unlock both branches individually at 30, but the EXP gained in either case is applied to the base job of Arcanist, and then you equip an item that modifies Arcanist into either Scholar or Summoner, which you can swap out for the other whenever you feel like it. Scholar is a Healing class, while Summoner is a DPS class. DPS is generally more solo-friendly, but Healers and Tanks wait a lot less time in party queues, so Arcanist can be an efficient way to get an advantage. All versions are based on summoning pets - Arcanists summon Carbuncle the Magic Rodent, Summoners summon miniature versions of Ifrit, Titan, Garuda, and eventually Bahamut, and Scholars summon healing faeries. Arcanists start in the semi-reformed pirate haven turned military dictatorship of Linsa Lominsa.

Red Mages, which people have described, doesn't become available until you have another job at level 50. Once you unlock it in Ul'Dah, your Red Mage is also level 50, which saves you some hassle catching up, but can be overwhelming to learn all at once.

There are also two other Mage types - Blue Mages and Astrologians. Blue Mages are more of a novelty than a career, not currently balanced for standard team activities, because they learn new spells by stealing them from monsters instead of just obtaining them when they level up, while Astrologians are an interesting healer class that's buried behind a mountain of story content, so by the time you can actually unlock them you'll probably have encountered more than enough to know if you're interested in playing one.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    It's kind of awkward that, in 16 jobs, they've managed to create 6 different patterns for unlocking/leveling them. And probably a 7th pattern for Gunbreaker and whatever else is coming with it, if rumors about starting at 60 are correct.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Roegadyn
    not even rumors, starting at 60 was confirmed at paris fanfest last month (albeit marked as tentative)

• Options
    Roegadyn
    basically it seems like the heavensward jobs are going to be this weird early experiment, with "in the starting cities, starting at 20 levels below the new cap" is being locked in as the standard

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    The kinda cool thing about FFXIV is you can watch the devs learn and adjust how they do content in real time.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Larlar
    on one hand it feels like FFXIV stubbornly make the mistakes that other MMOs have made in the past, and only really learns through that mistake making

on the other, they actually improve the game at a pretty consistent rate

I'd call it a solid net positive design process

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
This discussion has been closed.