As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Here's a super interested potential spoiler for Super Mario Odyssey (spoiler regarding potential regions that have not been revealed yet):
    mario-odyssey-map-1.jpg

peep the arrow, people are saying this could be the island from Super Mario Sunshine. image is from a japanese ad that went up today

I love how so much of that map alllllmost looks like a bunch of parts of the real world.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Also, if you're going to say that you can make better predictions than professional ones working in the industry, then you should put your money where your mouth is and start making them ahead of time, instead of only monday morning quarterbacking. Otherwise it's just wankery and nobody wants to read that.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    This week’s Switch eShop charts are as follows:
    Software

1. NBA 2K18
    2. Sonic Mania
    3. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
    4. Overcooked: Special Edition
    5. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition
    6. LEGO Worlds
    7. Double Dragon IV
    8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
    9. Rayman Legends Definitive Edition
    10. NeuroVoider
    11. Splatoon 2
    12. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    13. Kingdom: New Lands
    14. SteamWorld Dig 2
    15. Snipperclips
    16. Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
    17. Quest of Dungeons
    18. Pan-Pan
    19. Puyo Puyo Tetris
    20. R.B.I. Baseball 17

I saw this and couldn't help but comment that this is the first time in forever that the eShop has been dominated by so many 3rd party games. Only 1 1st-party title in the top 10 is a very healthy sign for 3rd parties going forward.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Playing in portable mode isn't worth the headache that comes from playing a FPS with a shitty framerate.

30 isn't a shitty framerate, though. It's industry standard and perfectly usable and serviceable. I would even call it great.

I notice 60 being smoother but I don't notice 30 not feeling playable, or fun, or anything like that. I don't recoil in horror. I can't imagine being so sensitive to framerate that it matters that much. Missing out on so many good experiences because that's the one thing you just can't get over...that would suck so much.

For a surprising amount of people 30 IS a shitty framerate.

Those people probably aren't frequently purchasing a Switch. But there are a whole horde of people that avoid consoles like the plague with framerate being one of the big reasons. Like if you talk positively about 30fps on a more larger and general gaming board... beelzebub help you. They will swarm you.

There are people who buy 10k sound cables for their digital stereos as well, and they are dumb. People bitching about things online isn't a great metric for how actually impactful something is.

Obviously it's dumb to act like 30fps is awful and ruins any game.

But I don't doubt that for some people they notice it enough that it impacts the experience for them if they are really used to 60fps so it feels goosey to act like they are making it up and it doesn't affect them.

I can't personally even tell what the difference is at all. So mind you I'm not in that camp. It feels super weird though as outside a nintendo thread when I say I can't tell the difference and thus don't care the 60fps purists tend to jump on me. Inside a nintendo thread I say that some people actually put a lot of weight into 60fps and it's important for their gaming and then it's called dumb.

Bizarre! As far as I know though twitch shooters are some of the most important games to have 60fps on and those that really notice it WOULD probably hate paying something like Doom at 30FPS as you are always frantically swinging your view back and forth and all over in that.

My point about the cables is that there are lots of people who THINK they can tell a difference about something like that but really can't - especially if their hobby enjoyment is wrapped up in telling the difference. Even if some people can tell, it's an extremely minor difference, and nobody should be getting worked up about it. Someone said earlier that people only really notice framerate when it changes, and that's exactly right.

At any rate the point I'm arguing is with people who say that 30 is a SHITTY framerate, which is obviously ridiculous.

I would disagree that it's a small difference. Obviously, a game being 30 FPS does not necessarily ruin the experience, especially if the framerate is kept solid with relatively few areas of slowdown. For me, being at 60 (or higher for PCs) only increases the enjoyment of the experience. I was checking the other day if Metroid Samus Returns with the 3D off increased the framerate to 60 at all (it doesn't) because I feel like it'd be that much better (the 3D effect however is very very good and I keep it on always). If a game like Smash Bros was at 30FPS instead of 60, the experience would not be nearly as fun to control or nice to look at, for example. Nintendo is very good about knowing how 60FPS can increase the enjoyment of a game by it's look and feel. I think Mario Galaxy would not be as good if it were at 30FPS. It's a shame games tend to go for the absolute highest fidelity instead of taking some trade-offs to make it 60FPS. During the mid 2000s, some games seemed to even target 15FPS to squeek out higher graphics. I remember playing Shadow Complex on a friend's 360 and was really shocked at how bad the framerate was. It felt like it dropped sub 15FPS in some cutscenes, it was terrible.

You can tell a noticeable difference between 30, 60, 90, and 120FPS as long as your display has a refresh rate high enough to match. If you have a 60hz refresh monitor but you can manage above 60FPS, you won't tell a difference from 60 and higher. If you haven't been exposed to it before, you may think there isn't a difference. For some games as well, lower framerates can add latency with control. Some FPS games it can be really noticeable.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Also, if you're going to say that you can make better predictions than professional ones working in the industry, then you should put your money where your mouth is and start making them ahead of time, instead of only monday morning quarterbacking. Otherwise it's just wankery and nobody wants to read that.
    I have and will continue to do so.
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Playing in portable mode isn't worth the headache that comes from playing a FPS with a shitty framerate.

30 isn't a shitty framerate, though. It's industry standard and perfectly usable and serviceable. I would even call it great.

I notice 60 being smoother but I don't notice 30 not feeling playable, or fun, or anything like that. I don't recoil in horror. I can't imagine being so sensitive to framerate that it matters that much. Missing out on so many good experiences because that's the one thing you just can't get over...that would suck so much.

Those people probably aren't frequently purchasing a Switch. But there are a whole horde of people that avoid consoles like the plague with framerate being one of the big reasons. Like if you talk positively about 30fps on a more larger and general gaming board... beelzebub help you. They will swarm you.

There are people who buy 10k sound cables for their digital stereos as well, and they are dumb. People bitching about things online isn't a great metric for how actually impactful something is.

But I don't doubt that for some people they notice it enough that it impacts the experience for them if they are really used to 60fps so it feels goosey to act like they are making it up and it doesn't affect them.

I can't personally even tell what the difference is at all. So mind you I'm not in that camp. It feels super weird though as outside a nintendo thread when I say I can't tell the difference and thus don't care the 60fps purists tend to jump on me. Inside a nintendo thread I say that some people actually put a lot of weight into 60fps and it's important for their gaming and then it's called dumb.

Bizarre! As far as I know though twitch shooters are some of the most important games to have 60fps on and those that really notice it WOULD probably hate paying something like Doom at 30FPS as you are always frantically swinging your view back and forth and all over in that.

My point about the cables is that there are lots of people who THINK they can tell a difference about something like that but really can't - especially if their hobby enjoyment is wrapped up in telling the difference. Even if some people can tell, it's an extremely minor difference, and nobody should be getting worked up about it. Someone said earlier that people only really notice framerate when it changes, and that's exactly right.

At any rate the point I'm arguing is with people who say that 30 is a SHITTY framerate, which is obviously ridiculous.

I would disagree that it's a small difference. Obviously, a game being 30 FPS does not necessarily ruin the experience, especially if the framerate is kept solid with relatively few areas of slowdown. For me, being at 60 (or higher for PCs) only increases the enjoyment of the experience. I was checking the other day if Metroid Samus Returns with the 3D off increased the framerate to 60 at all (it doesn't) because I feel like it'd be that much better (the 3D effect however is very very good and I keep it on always). If a game like Smash Bros was at 30FPS instead of 60, the experience would not be nearly as fun to control or nice to look at, for example. Nintendo is very good about knowing how 60FPS can increase the enjoyment of a game by it's look and feel. I think Mario Galaxy would not be as good if it were at 30FPS. It's a shame games tend to go for the absolute highest fidelity instead of taking some trade-offs to make it 60FPS. During the mid 2000s, some games seemed to even target 15FPS to squeek out higher graphics. I remember playing Shadow Complex on a friend's 360 and was really shocked at how bad the framerate was. It felt like it dropped sub 15FPS in some cutscenes, it was terrible.

You can tell a noticeable difference between 30, 60, 90, and 120FPS as long as your display has a refresh rate high enough to match. If you have a 60hz refresh monitor but you can manage above 60FPS, you won't tell a difference from 60 and higher. If you haven't been exposed to it before, you may think there isn't a difference. For some games as well, lower framerates can add latency with control. Some FPS games it can be really noticeable.

A steady 30 is fine, but I'd prefer a steady 60 or higher. I have a 144hz monitor now and the difference between something running at 144 frames and something running at 30 or 60 is very noticeable. Not enough to make me not play stuff at 30, but enough to prefer higher if possible. And my mouse doesn't leave as many trails, it's great.

• Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    I will be buying Rocket League on Switch in any event. But with around 1800 hours on PC at 144 fps I don't think I'll be able to cope if it runs at less than 60. I have no doubt that it will be 60 locked. But it won't get much use if it isn't.

Nintendo has always been great about frame rate. They always know which kinds of games really benefit from the extra smoothness and rarely sacrifice that when it's important. The F-Zero and Smash series come to mind.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular

Your assertion that everybody else experiences reality in the exact same way that you do, and that you are the authority on what people should care about, is what's ridiculous.

• Options
    I will be buying Rocket League on Switch in any event. But with around 1800 hours on PC at 144 fps I don't think I'll be able to cope if it runs at less than 60. I have no doubt that it will be 60 locked. But it won't get much use if it isn't.

Nintendo has always been great about frame rate. They always know which kinds of games really benefit from the extra smoothness and rarely sacrifice that when it's important. The F-Zero and Smash series come to mind.

I was definitely bummed out by the performance of parts of Breath of the Wild, but it ended up never being during combat or anything. I do wonder if they're caring a little less about it or if they just decided it was good enough. Maybe due to being on Wii U as well?

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    30+ years of gaming experience has taught me one thing: you're never going to convince the other side of your graphics related argument of anything.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    30+ years of gaming experience has taught me one thing: you're never going to convince the other side of your graphics related argument of anything.

post.
    graphics.
    society.

so close....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Software

1. NBA 2K18
    2. Sonic Mania
    6. LEGO Worlds
    7. Double Dragon IV
    8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
    10. NeuroVoider
    11. Splatoon 2
    14. SteamWorld Dig 2
    15. Snipperclips
    17. Quest of Dungeons
    18. Pan-Pan
    19. Puyo Puyo Tetris
    20. R.B.I. Baseball 17

I saw this and couldn't help but comment that this is the first time in forever that the eShop has been dominated by so many 3rd party games. Only 1 1st-party title in the top 10 is a very healthy sign for 3rd parties going forward.

Missread that as R.I.P. baseball. Now I want a baseball game where the players are skeletons.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Xenoverse 2 really is the Dragonball Z game that I dreamed of in middle school, back when all we had were 2d arcade fighters at the local mall or that one really bad half life mod.

edit: I kicked ass at the AOL chatroom text based game though. SSJ Gohan for life.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Enlong wrote: »
    Software

1. NBA 2K18
    2. Sonic Mania
    6. LEGO Worlds
    7. Double Dragon IV
    8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
    10. NeuroVoider
    11. Splatoon 2
    14. SteamWorld Dig 2
    15. Snipperclips
    17. Quest of Dungeons
    18. Pan-Pan
    19. Puyo Puyo Tetris
    20. R.B.I. Baseball 17

Missread that as R.I.P. baseball. Now I want a baseball game where the players are skeletons.

Wasn't there a baseball game on the snes where if you got in a rundown or close play it would turn into a fighting game to decide the outcome? I believe robots were involved and the outfielders had some kind of anti gravity boots that let them jump super high?

I just remember renting it and accidentally enabling a cheat where the pitcher would throw the ball into the stands and it would count for a strike when playing vs my dad.

edit: I believe the title of the game had numbers in it.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Super Baseball 2020?

• Options
    That sounds about right.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Basewars was another robot baseball fighting game. Fun game, but i still can't figure out why anyone would get any robots with regular legs.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Except that most of those people can tell the framerate immediately upon playing or seeing something at 30 or 60fps.

Yes there are people who go way overboard, on both sides though. It's a thing. A thing that people can very much see. Just because it doesn't bother you doesn't mean that it isn't a legitimate concern for other people. Thinking that is kinda silly. Just like people saying a game is garbage because of the framerate. It's a thing many others don't care about and would prefer more shinies over framerate. It's just funny the the extreme on both sides is to say that the other is being dishonest. It's just really weird, if you can't see through other people's eyes why is the first assumption that the entire group is all just lying about what they see? You can only see what you see, people see things differently and observe things differently and some pay more attention to fine details and others just care about different things. Those are all ideas I'm sure we can agree on so why on this particular topic does all of that get tossed out the window?

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Software

1. NBA 2K18
    2. Sonic Mania
    6. LEGO Worlds
    7. Double Dragon IV
    8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
    10. NeuroVoider
    11. Splatoon 2
    14. SteamWorld Dig 2
    15. Snipperclips
    17. Quest of Dungeons
    18. Pan-Pan
    19. Puyo Puyo Tetris
    20. R.B.I. Baseball 17

Coming soon: Blood Ball The Baseball successor to Blood Bowl!

Software

1. NBA 2K18
    2. Sonic Mania
    6. LEGO Worlds
    7. Double Dragon IV
    8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
    10. NeuroVoider
    11. Splatoon 2
    14. SteamWorld Dig 2
    15. Snipperclips
    17. Quest of Dungeons
    18. Pan-Pan
    19. Puyo Puyo Tetris
    20. R.B.I. Baseball 17

Wasn't there a baseball game on the snes where if you got in a rundown or close play it would turn into a fighting game to decide the outcome? I believe robots were involved and the outfielders had some kind of anti gravity boots that let them jump super high?

I just remember renting it and accidentally enabling a cheat where the pitcher would throw the ball into the stands and it would count for a strike when playing vs my dad.

edit: I believe the title of the game had numbers in it.

Super Baseball 2020 is probably what you were thinking of.

https://youtu.be/DnA1HBXTyVo

Of course my favorite basball game was Baseball Simulator 1.000 by Culture Brain. I'd love to see an updated version of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjbnxWceJ_s

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    http://www.siliconera.com/2017/09/22/atelier-lydie-suelle-also-coming-pcs/

Yessss, as I was hoping/guessing, the Switch will indeed be the Atelier platform going forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziCyLp9jdjo

PS4, PC, and Switch 2018

I've never played one of these but I love JRPGs. I've avoided them because I never really figured out where to jump on at.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Software

1. NBA 2K18
    2. Sonic Mania
    6. LEGO Worlds
    7. Double Dragon IV
    8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
    10. NeuroVoider
    11. Splatoon 2
    14. SteamWorld Dig 2
    15. Snipperclips
    17. Quest of Dungeons
    18. Pan-Pan
    19. Puyo Puyo Tetris
    20. R.B.I. Baseball 17

Now I want Blood Bowl, but with Baseball.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »

Yessss, as I was hoping/guessing, the Switch will indeed be the Atelier platform going forward.

PS4, PC, and Switch 2018

I've never played one of these but I love JRPGs. I've avoided them because I never really figured out where to jump on at.

any of them really. it's not super important to have played any of them beforehand.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »

PS4, PC, and Switch 2018

They're usually released in trilogy sets, i.e. Lydie/Suelle is the third entry in the latest trilogy(Sophie->Firis->Lydie/Suelle). But even then the connection to previous games is largely by way of character cameos, the stories themselves aren't especially connected.

The first two of this trilogy are already out on PC though, so you can always start off with those.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I may have a gross backlog, but I'm picking up Picross S the day it launches next week. I need more Picross in my life and Switch is going to be SO PERFECT for it.

Thrilled at its surprise announcement this past week.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Basewars was another robot baseball fighting game. Fun game, but i still can't figure out why anyone would get any robots with regular legs.

THATS IT! Basewars! I had been confusing the two the entire time and they werent even on the same system. No wonder I couldn't find any fighting footage.

Basewars in action:

https://youtu.be/ZqB6rY94DCw

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Need to see the receipts on this. Last page I posted two articles where professional analysts predicted 1 million in March and 4 million for the full year 2017, and Reggie said they sold 2.8 million in that launch period and are planning on a total of 10 million for 2017. What was your prediction? And if you can nail it better than professional analysts, why aren't you advertising that ability and/or getting rich trading game company stock?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Portable DOOM.

I just can't brainify such a thing.

You better brainify the Tiger Game.Com then!
    I mean, GBA Doom and Doom II

Regarding frame rates and slowdown;

Back in the NES and SNES days, when a really action packed good game (think Megaman), slowed down, it always felt like when action movies had slow motion scenes.

I loved it.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Need to see the receipts on this. Last page I posted two articles where professional analysts predicted 1 million in March and 4 million for the full year 2017, and Reggie said they sold 2.8 million in that launch period and are planning on a total of 10 million for 2017. What was your prediction? And if you can nail it better than professional analysts, why aren't you advertising that ability and/or getting rich trading game company stock?

I mean, I follow this crap to the point of obnoxiousness, and even I don't think I know more than the analysts do.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I mean, I follow this crap to the point of obnoxiousness, and even I don't think I know more than the analysts do.

Is the NES Classic comparable to an Atari Flashback 7? Nintendo said they looked at stuff like that when figuring out what to do for the NES Classic. To me, that's such a wildly inferior product in almost every way that it is shocking Nintendo would model their marketing strategy off of that for a limited edition Nintendo with some of the most classic games of all time on it. This seems like a really obvious thing to me, and to many others, who were frustrated with how the NES Classic was handled.

Clearly this is Nintendo's purposeful strategy. Be conservative, sell everything for profit, slowly keep building up money. I don't think this is great for us consumers, but others clearly disagree. I do not feel like continuing this discussion yet again would be any more productive this time around, so I'll bow out.

• Options
    edited September 2017

To me, that's such a wildly inferior product in almost every way that it is shocking Nintendo would model their marketing strategy off of that for a limited edition Nintendo with some of the most classic games of all time on it.
    They never said that they were basing their entire strategy on it, just that they looked at it. I'm sure they did much more than just that. You're blowing that one particular comment way out of proportion.

edit: there are so many contributing factors that we don't even know about, things that aren't mentioned in interviews. It's like trying to read a map by peering at it through a straw.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

To me, that's such a wildly inferior product in almost every way that it is shocking Nintendo would model their marketing strategy off of that for a limited edition Nintendo with some of the most classic games of all time on it.
    They never said that they were basing their entire strategy on it, just that they looked at it. I'm sure they did much more than just that. You're blowing that one particular comment way out of proportion.

edit: there are so many contributing factors that we don't even know about, things that aren't mentioned in interviews. It's like trying to read a map by peering at it through a straw.

Nintendo most likely did their due diligence. Looked at thinks like the Atari which was a nice product for the games it would house. And they had their sales figures for VC games sitting in front of them I would wager (I would also guess they werent spectacular). They also looked at other similar devices and analysts reports etc.

When something oversells all reasonable predictions it is easy to say "they should have done better". But it is not really all that logical to say something like that. Not really at all. The problem is that they are closed lipped about things. People want full disclosure. They have not been that company since the beginning.

In the end they are going to sell more and it looks like the SNES classic will be done better from what we have seen so far. Its all moot now.

Same with the Switch. Watching the pre release reveal it was apparent that game devs were not buying on. We are still seeing that now with the lack of games. Add to that the innards of the Switch being limited by having limited access to the parts because Samsung and Apple owning the lines... well you get the issues now with the Switch. Add to that sales that dwarfed any console in existence so far and you have a reasonable explanation for the issues in finding them up to this point.

But hey I saw a couple in the wild out in my podunk area of the world yesterday!

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    There was rumours of NESC parts beins scarce at one point...

And if you play on anything else than a PC, you can't say anything about fps or graphical fidelity*. You are just a hypocrite that picks stuff that suits your agenda.

Sony and Msoft really did a disservice to this industry with their nonsense about graphics. Those are mediocre PCs with so many cut corners its not even funny.

I am so, so glad that many players have been jumping of the stupid train and can appreciate more modest graphics if it means good gameplay. There is numerous games on PC that look like something your dog ate yesterday but they are beautiful in their own way.

Switch has fine graphics for what it is, DOOM looks great and plays well like almost every single reportsperson has said.

Disclaimer: of course you can say that you like how games look like on consoles, but you are not in a position to act smug and condescending. Leave that to people with 2500+ $ PCs.

On unrelated news, started M+R and it is wonderful.

I'll get FIFA next week, Odyssey soon... Quite a lot of games to buy in a short time. Usually I buy really few games, not made of money and would rather feed my son than spend on games. And I don't do credit, unless I literally have no money on my account.

Grebnu on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Is the NES Classic comparable to an Atari Flashback 7? Nintendo said they looked at stuff like that when figuring out what to do for the NES Classic. To me, that's such a wildly inferior product in almost every way that it is shocking Nintendo would model their marketing strategy off of that for a limited edition Nintendo with some of the most classic games of all time on it. This seems like a really obvious thing to me, and to many others, who were frustrated with how the NES Classic was handled.

Clearly this is Nintendo's purposeful strategy. Be conservative, sell everything for profit, slowly keep building up money. I don't think this is great for us consumers, but others clearly disagree. I do not feel like continuing this discussion yet again would be any more productive this time around, so I'll bow out.

We weren't discussing the NES Classic at all here. This isn't even the thread for discussion of retroclones.

We spent the whole last page talking about Reggie's quote saying they overproduced, you asked for numbers, numbers were provided...you said their analysts must be pretty bad to miss the mark, and we pointed out that even non-Nintendo analysts called it wrong and Nintendo made the right choice in overproducing, you asked for citations and numbers and they were provided...and then you said you can call these things in advance better than professional analysts, changed the subject to a different product, and bowed out.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Did you think Doom hitting 60 frames on Switch sounded too good to be true?

Well, you were right, because it's only aiming for 30, and not even hitting that some of the time

Full price for a worse-looking, worse-playing version of Doom sounds like a real bummer

Taking it with a grain of salt because https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/71i13s/multiplayerit_doom_on_switch_travels_at_60_fps/ says it's 60FPS. There is a digital foundry video that claims 30fps but it's based on a computer running Switch specs.

I'm going to wait until Bethesda says anything.

You're going to wait for the company that doesn't even send out review copies of their games to be more forthcoming about shortcomings of their game rather than someone who was shown the game at an event for the express purpose of writing about it

Well

Okay, I guess

You can play it safe and wait until it comes out and see who's right in the end. Let the people get the final word in.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Bought steamworld dig 2 and so should you

The only downside so far is that the main town theme sounds suspiciously like a Kanye West backing track and I'm sick of it after less than twenty minutes

https://youtu.be/MZSmC1Ox6sE

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Steamworld one is just moderately fun, at about 4 hours in. From what I hear the sequel isn't going to change my feelings much?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Portable DOOM.

I just can't brainify such a thing.

You better brainify the Tiger Game.Com then!
    I mean, GBA Doom and Doom II

Regarding frame rates and slowdown;

Back in the NES and SNES days, when a really action packed good game (think Megaman), slowed down, it always felt like when action movies had slow motion scenes.

I loved it.

Then Max Payne along and ruined everything. I am glad we get far less "bullet time" events these days.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I know I've been living in a cave (mostly ignored Switch news since it didn't seem like I was getting one) but is the Switch ever getting Netflix?

• Options
    I know I've been living in a cave (mostly ignored Switch news since it didn't seem like I was getting one) but is the Switch ever getting Netflix?

Rumor recently that it is ready to go, just waiting on Nintendo approval. So probably soon?

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

IIRC one of the rumors is that Netflix is ready, just waiting for Nintendo to give the all clear.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    Steamworld one is just moderately fun, at about 4 hours in. From what I hear the sequel isn't going to change my feelings much?

I guess it depends on what parts of the first game you don't like.

It doesn't start quite as slow, but feels like there are bigger gaps between new things to use.

Controls are way tighter and more responsive (after I finished 2 earlier I started up the first one again to see and, yeah, the first feels downright clunky in comparison).

Graphics are neater but there's one specific area you spend a lot of time in at the end of the game that looks like visual vomit, where half is too dark and the other half glows too much and for me was just generally unpleasant. Though the rest of the game looked good.

Once things get moving it is a lot faster paced than the first game, some points almost reaching bullet hell intensity.

Likewise, by the end of the game (well, actually a good bit before), your movement capabilities are pretty insane, and makes you feel like a damn god.

Music is super repetitive, despite initially seeming good. Exploration is more..horizontal? That's not totally correct, but you end up going to a lot more areas that aren't just straight down, though there's plenty of that too.

I dunno, I had a lot of fun. Bummed it is over, bummed there's no NG+ (bummed me in the first game too), though there are not-quite-post-game trials, but fuck if I can comment on them because I can't for the life of me make the fucking jumps barely into the first trial and I don't have the patience to bang my head against that wall. They take tools away from you, I have no idea how many trials there are, but at least there's something to do after everything else?

I finished 100% of the game and while the first one left me wanting more, this one felt like it dragged on a bit much, some areas needlessly large.

Took me 14 hours to 100% it according to the thingy at the end, but probably for most people maybe 10 at most. I, uh...might have cleared out all the dirt and rocks from...the game. Which sounds intense, and I suppose it is, but with the tools you have at the end of the game, it isn't as big of an undertaking as you might assume.

Anyway, I'm rambling. tl;dr is that it improves basically everything about the first game, feels way tighter and controls better, but some areas could have been reduced in size by half and it wouldn't have felt lacking. For $20 I feel like it was a steal. If you thought the first was moderately fun, this one would probably be upgraded to fun, at least. I'd just recommend anyone getting it, because of how amazing it is to have all the tools, go for the story upgrades and then go secret hunting. I don't want to spoil what kind of gadgets you get, but it is pretty rad.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

This discussion has been closed.