As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited November 2017 in Games and Technology

dIL7nNd.png
The Switch is Nintendo's 7th home console 5th handheld newest hardware. After the Wii U's struggles over the past four years, especially with advertising and PR, this is Nintendo's attempt to get people back on board and right the ship.

As the name implies, the Switch is a hybrid console, capable of going between standard TV play and on-the-go gaming. The console itself is actually just a thin, tablet-esque bit of hardware that's like a slightly smaller and less bulky Wii U gamepad. But don't be confused: whereas the gamepad was just a screen that streamed from the Wii U itself, the Switch is a fully independent console. It has a capacitive touch screen (a departure from Nintendo's preference for resistive), two slots on the side for controller attachments, Wi-Fi, and uses a USB-C cable to charge. Due to its mobile nature, it uses cartridges to play games. There are three main ways to play:

0SgPsNn.png
TV Mode
This the traditional couch playing mode. The Switch comes with a dock that uses an HDMI cable to broadcast the Switch to your TV. This is where the Switch acts like a regular home console, and there's not much else to say. You can play using the game's controller (Joycons) separated or together (there is a grip included in box to give the joycons a controller form factor, but it does NOT charge the Joycons), or you can opt for something more typical like the pro controller (Sold Separately).

lwj0MDJ.jpg
Handheld Mode
The mobile mode, this is just taking the Switch out of the dock and playing on it. The Joycons slide on to each half of the console, giving you a more handheld experience. Battery life will vary based on the game and what you are doing, with estimates being a broad 2-6 hours. Breath of Wild was used as a benchmark, going three hours on a single charge. People are saying something like Shovel Knight can go as long as 7 hours. The general rule of thumb is that polygon-based games will drain the battery roughly twice as fast as ones uses sprites or less demanding graphics. Switches can also connect to up to seven additional Switches for local multiplayer purposes.

oCSjfHq.jpg
Tabletop Mode
Tabletop mode is basically handheld, but the Switch has a little kickstand that lets you prop it up. Each half of a Joycon can operate as its own independent controller, so you can use this mode to play games with another person. The Joycons also have an attachment called a strap that slides in and gives you better L/R button and a bit more grip. It's worth noting that ALL controllers work in this mode, including the pro controller, so you don't need a bunch of joycons.

Oh, and the Switch won't be region locked. Prepare to import.

pKdbuRi.png
In the USA, the Switch will retail for $299.99, and it comes with the following:
  • Switch Console
  • TV Dock
  • Left and Right Joycons
  • Joycon Wrist Straps
  • Joycon Grip (NOT a charging grip)
  • HDMI Cable
  • AC Adapter
You have the option to buy a Switch with black Joycons or Red/Blue Joycons. CHOICES!

Need more crap? Accessories are available if you got cash to burn.
qY2lGed.jpg
MSRP: $69.99
Want a more traditional controller? That'll be seventy bucks, pal. As a bonus, it comes with a USB to USB-C cable that can also charge the Switch itself, and the Pro can connect to your bluetooth-enabled PC with little difficulty. The Pro has most of the features of the joycons, including motion controls, HD rumble, and NFC support. I don't think it has the infrared scanner thing, however.

2lSUmW0.jpg
MSRP: $79.99
Additional Joycons can be purchased for a hefty fee. They do come with two straps, however.

pmemXGu.jpgE7hNz9V.jpg
MSRP: $49.99
Lose just ONE Joycon? Nintendo has got you covered, although they will charge you an extra ten dollars more than what they cost bundled together. Because business.

22W0iUI.jpg
MSRP: $29.99
That pro controller sure was pricey, wasn't it? Well, for less than half the cost, you can just slap your joycons in this thing and get a similar experience while pretending it's a dog or something. This one also charges your joycons while they're connected to it, unlike the one that comes with the Switch because Nintendo is cheap.

HUpSshu.jpg
MSRP: $14.99
Because you really want a wheel icon next to your name in Mario Kart. Slap a joycon in and race or just use it as a very awkward controller grip.

Z9IINT0.jpg
MSRP: $89.99
Breakdowns of the dock expose this thing as being hilariously overpriced. Please don't buy it.

z8rzxC7.png
The Switch will probably be Nintendo's biggest step forward regarding online play since it actually added online services to its hardware. It seems like Nintendo is finally learning from its contemporaries, having all online stuff managed from your Nintendo account. Sadly, Nintendo is also learning from its contemporaries in that they're going to charge us just to play online. The good news is that the service is fairly cheap, being $3.99 on a month by month basis, or $20 for a year. The service doesn't launch until Fall 20172018, but people can play online for free during a "trial" period going on now and ending whenever they get the service running. Check out the chart to see what a subscription gets you versus being a plebeian who thinks online play should be a basic free service.
1Cfjnc8.png
The monthly game downloads may have caught your eye. Nintendo is doing something new, and they're launching a Netflix-esque service for their catalog of classic games. While subscribed to Nintendo Online, you'll have access this library along with bonus features like online leaderboards and multiplayer. It's (currently) just NES titles, but SNES is under consideration.

2l2JFV7.png
What's the battery life for everything?
The Switch: 2-6 hours depending on the game. As a rule of thumb, 3D games like Zelda or Mario will last about three hours. A game with sprites or 2D effects like Shovel Knight will last about 6-7 hours.
Joycons: 20 hours. Note that that do not draw power from the Switch when attached to it and in portable mode.
Pro Controller: 40 hours. The dock does have three USB ports that can be used to charge.

Is the Switch backwards compatible?
No, it uses carts and has no disc drive to play Wii U media. And no, it's also not backwards compatible with the 3DS, DS, or any other Nintendo system.

Do the carts really taste bad?
Yes, they are coated in denatonium benzoate, which is one of the most bitter compounds for humans. It's meant as a deterrent against children eating them. Don't lick the cart, dummy.

Can I go online in portable mode?
Yes. Also, while it has no browser, if you are at a place with Wi-Fi, there will be an applet that lets you pay/agree to their terms so you can get online.

Are there seriously friend codes?
Yeah, who knows why. The good news is that when you punch in someone's code, they'll get a request instead of playing this game of "Did you send it?" Furthermore, more options are set to be added like traditional friend requests through your Nintendo account, which...raises the question of why use friend codes in the first place.

Is the Switch region-locked?
Nope! Import to your heart's content. You can even switch regions on the eShop, BUT you will lose whatever current balance your account has in its current region. So spend your money first.

Can I connect to the TV using third-party USB-C cables?
No, for whatever reason the Switch must be docked to display on the TV.

Will I be able to recharge the Switch using a portable power bank used for cell phones?
The Switch uses about 30-40 Watts, which exceeds most portable power sources right now. It also doesn't use quickcharging functionality of USB-C, so that's another concern. In other words, your average power brick may extend your Switch's battery life by an 60-90 minutes depending on the wattage, but your system will still consume power. This is dependent on the game, however, and you'll get more juice out of a power bank while playing Shovel Knight than Breath of the Wild. However power banks for phones WILL take significantly longer to charge the thing while the power is off (we're talking eight hours in some cases). There are a few 15v/3A batteries meant for MacBooks that DO charge the Switch, but at a rate of like 1% every five minutes. To be honest, there are serious cost/value considerations to make, as a laptop charger that can feed the Switch will run into the triple digits. Do you really need 20+ hours of Switch battery? If not, then consider a $50ish dollar power bank for just the Switch, one with 5V/3A that has a USB-C slot, and use a high-quality USB-C cable to charge. It will, at the very least, double your Switch's battery life even if it's not the most efficient charging solution.

tl;dr: most phone chargers are good for extending the battery, but not recharging a system. Try to get as close to 15V/2.6A as possible, and use USB-C instead of USB-C to regular USB.

Which screen protector should I used?

Tempered glass. While plastic ones are cheaper, they themselves are prone to being easily scratched, which means you'll have to replace them every so often. On top of this, tempered glass feels better when using the touch screen, and they tend to be easier to apply (fewer bubbles). Tempered glass will set you back more cash, but you'll save more in the long run. Right now, amFilm is the screen of choice for most people.

How much memory does the Switch have?
32 GB, of which around 25 is usable. For reference, Breath of the Wild uses around 13GB. You can use micro-SD cards to expand the memory. Because Switch carts are so small, I recommend a micro-SD with plenty of memory, because Switch games will be large and it defeats the purpose of going digital if instead of 32GB carts you're just swapping 32GB SD cards. A Sandisk Ultra with 128GB of memory should last you a while.

What's up with the Joycon desync issue?
Some left joycons have manufacturing defects that make their signal weaker and easier to block. If you think yours is acting up, then you can ship it off to Nintendo for a free repair. Just...hope you have a Pro Controller or something while you wait.

Can the pro controller cable be used to charge the Switch?

Yes, the cable that comes with the Pro Controller can be used like any other USB to USB-C cable. Hook it up to power banks, charge your pro controller through your PC's USB ports: go wild.

Where's Virtual Console?

It's coming. Nintendo has stated that their online service (which offers a Netflix-esque selection of classic games while subscribed) will NOT be replacing Virtual Console. So there are definitely plans for it, but that's about all we know.

Does this mean end of the line for the 3DS/Wii U?

The Wii U is definitely done. I think Breath of the Wild will be the last first-party title for the system, and hardware production was ended last year. The 3DS, on the other hand, is still going strong and has titles planned throughout 2017 and 2018, including yet another hardware iteration with the New 2DS XL. This is probably going to be a GBA/DS situation, where Nintendo will claim that both pieces of hardware will coexist...until one of them sinks or swims. So if the Switch does well (and it currently is), then expect development for the 3DS to slow down until they quietly discontinue the 3DS hardware.

HgpHq3s.png
The Switch will have games, making it a true revolution in the industry. Oh, and in case you missed it: the Switch is not region locked. You can create separate accounts for other regions and access their eShops there. All dates are for NA.

G&T Approved!
The following games are almost unanimously praised by the community. If you need a place to start, make it here.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Snipperclips
Fast RMX
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
Blaster Master Zero
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Tumbleseed
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Disgaea 5
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Sonic Mania
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Pokkén Tournament DX
Fire Emblem Warriors
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Doom
Steamworld Dig 2
Mummy Demastered
Has Been Heroes
Resident Evil Revelations I & II

Upcoming Major Releases
Rocket League - Holiday 2017
Metroid Prime 4 (Nintendo) - 2018
Pokemon (Nintendo) - TBA
Yoshi
Wargroove
Octopath Traveler
Wolfenstein II
Kirby Star Allies
Lost Sphere
Battle Chasers
Dragon Quest Builders

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    shoot Octopath Traveler into my veins please

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Stardew Valley w/ Multiplayer not a Major Release? sadface.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I like fighting the Lizalfoes on the way to Zora's Domain, because sometimes I need to stock up on arrows.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    From last thread
    I had a pretty similar experience to Lucascraft

The lizalfos on the way to Zora's Domain really fucked up my supply, and you couldn't really get around them because they took the game's second-worst mechanic (rain) and said "hey what if this didn't stop?" for story purposes

Looking at Sporky's screenshots and his heart count, it's clear he was further along in the game where weaker weapon drops aren't really a thing due to enemy and weapon scaling, but even then, I have no clue how you ended up with so many weapons

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    I like fighting the Lizalfoes on the way to Zora's Domain, because sometimes I need to stock up on arrows.

I just go to the great plateau again

every watch tower boko will drop 5 arrows and if you use your shield or just dodge, they'll miss you 3 times so you get a total of 8 arrows from each one

works out to be around 100 arrows

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    one thing thing that some developer needs to figure out is how to make killing mob after mob not meaningless and i don't mean just the loot. i can't recall which game but i'm sure one had the stats go up against monster types. that would reward me for killing 10billion bokoblins, more than just random dude x asked me to kill 10 billion bokoblins.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I'll be playing a demo of Mario Odyssey tomorrow, any requests?

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    From last thread

The lizalfos on the way to Zora's Domain really fucked up my supply, and you couldn't really get around them because they took the game's second-worst mechanic (rain) and said "hey what if this didn't stop?" for story purposes

Looking at Sporky's screenshots and his heart count, it's clear he was further along in the game where weaker weapon drops aren't really a thing due to enemy and weapon scaling, but even then, I have no clue how you ended up with so many weapons

I logged the whole experience at the link, most of the weapons I found would be in the exact same places I got them for everyone, like the little lizal camps leaning up against logs, just lower-level versions like regular lizal boomerangs.

High level advantages were largely negated since for whatever reason that path seems to stay low level for longer, basic lizals and basic weapons even at endgame. I came across one or two high level guys and found a few high level weapons. Also I focused on using as many low damage garbage weapons as possible and broke lots of them, sticks and traveler's swords, so it's not like I got one great drop and used it for the whole path. I feel like it would've been doable at any point in the game.

Other notes:
    - I killed 37 enemies. 7 were keese that were killed with arrows, and another 2 were special encounters also killed with arrows.

- Starting with 1 weapon, found an additional 31 melee weapons, 14 bows, and 7 shields.

- Broke 13 weapons including my starting one. I feel like this number is a bit inflated since many of the broken weapons were terrible ones that didn't deal much damage and are known for having low durability...if I'd fought with my better weapons, fewer would have broken.

- Gained 140 arrows, and spent ~15 arrows.

I want to stress this was fighting in a very single-minded way, not using any advantages of the environment, bombs, special attacks etc. I could've shot some of the archers in the face. Could've done a sneakstrike or two. But this was the most basic form of Y button fighting you can do, being extra-wasteful, and I still came out that far ahead.

As I said, and as my account illustrates, this was not a particularly good area to do this sort of thing in. Lots of archers and lots of guys who dropped nothing. But if you want to say that for some reason this was a bountiful area to perform this sort of test in, well, you're in luck, because you can go here and do this too! If you find yourself constantly running out of weapons, breaking weapons, just replacing what you break, apparently this is one place in the game you can go to stock up. Come back every blood moon and you'll fill your inventory.

But honestly I feel like this has been my experience for almost the entire game.

Doing this was fun. I recommend that other people try it - save your game, drop everything but one weapon, and go out and try to restock!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    The biggest thing about BotW's inventory that bugged me was not having a clearer idea of the durability left on my weapons, and therefore not really having an idea of how much durability lost per hit I was experiencing, and whether or not that changed based on the enemy (not just enemy types, but also color upgrades within a type).

I mean, there seemed to be a trend where the more damage a weapon generated, the more durable it was, but it would've been nice to have a firmer grasp on the mechanic. Also, I found the Master Sword recharge to be annoying because you had to actually break/drain it completely before it would recharge. I wish there was a way (difficult quest chain) to grant it the ability to always be recharging.

That said, I still really enjoyed the game. Post-apocalyptic Zelda is a pretty cool idea, and I think it was implemented well.

---

Watching the Nindies@Night stream last night, Floor Kids looks surprisingly interesting.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    My personal Switch drought is over with the arrival of Mario + Rabbids.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    From last thread

I logged the whole experience at the link, most of the weapons I found would be in the exact same places I got them for everyone, like the little lizal camps leaning up against logs, just lower-level versions like regular lizal boomerangs.

High level advantages were largely negated since for whatever reason that path seems to stay low level for longer, basic lizals and basic weapons even at endgame. I came across one or two high level guys and found a few high level weapons. Also I focused on using as many low damage garbage weapons as possible and broke lots of them, sticks and traveler's swords, so it's not like I got one great drop and used it for the whole path. I feel like it would've been doable at any point in the game.

Other notes:
    - I killed 37 enemies. 7 were keese that were killed with arrows, and another 2 were special encounters also killed with arrows.

- Starting with 1 weapon, found an additional 31 melee weapons, 14 bows, and 7 shields.

- Broke 13 weapons including my starting one. I feel like this number is a bit inflated since many of the broken weapons were terrible ones that didn't deal much damage and are known for having low durability...if I'd fought with my better weapons, fewer would have broken.

- Gained 140 arrows, and spent ~15 arrows.

I want to stress this was fighting in a very single-minded way, not using any advantages of the environment, bombs, special attacks etc. I could've shot some of the archers in the face. Could've done a sneakstrike or two. But this was the most basic form of Y button fighting you can do, being extra-wasteful, and I still came out that far ahead.

As I said, and as my account illustrates, this was not a particularly good area to do this sort of thing in. Lots of archers and lots of guys who dropped nothing. But if you want to say that for some reason this was a bountiful area to perform this sort of test in, well, you're in luck, because you can go here and do this too! If you find yourself constantly running out of weapons, breaking weapons, just replacing what you break, apparently this is one place in the game you can go to stock up. Come back every blood moon and you'll fill your inventory.

But honestly I feel like this has been my experience for almost the entire game.

Doing this was fun. I recommend that other people try it - save your game, drop everything but one weapon, and go out and try to restock!

just for posterity, it should be noted that you can simply avoid around a third of that hike even with the rain. also, you don't have to go to that area asap! You can accumulate tons of stamina, hearts, armor, and food before stepping foot in that area if you so desire

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    the open world of zelda knows no boundaries!

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I think its unavoidable that the best release of the Switch/last few years (and beyond) is going to get talked about outside of its own thread from time to time.

On a side note, I'm still fucking psyched about that No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Back trailer and knowing its release isn't too distant.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    I think its unavoidable that the best release of the Switch/last few years (and beyond) is going to get talked about outside of its own thread from time to time.

On a side note, I'm still fucking psyched about that No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Back trailer and knowing its release isn't too distant.

I need there to be a Travis Strikes Back t-shirt.

• Options
    I could go for some merch in the form of a deadly laser sword.

Even if more than likely it would just sit with my amiibos and become a conversation piece.

• Options
    Oh shit

Travis Touchdown amiibo please

• Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    So, how does the digital purchases for multiple accounts work on the Switch? I think I want to go 100% digital on the Switch (did that on the 3DS and have no regrets at all), but technically the Switch will be for my kids, mainly my 10 year old. If I buy all the games on my account, he'll still be able to play them, right?

Also, if we wind up not being able to share this thing very well (I'll be wanting to play BotW nonstop while he'll think the Switch is his own personal Minecraft machine), how do digital purchases work with multiple Switches? Will I be able to log in as "me" on both of them and then have access to my digital games on both devices?

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    bficky wrote: »
    So, how does the digital purchases for multiple accounts work on the Switch? I think I want to go 100% digital on the Switch (did that on the 3DS and have no regrets at all), but technically the Switch will be for my kids, mainly my 10 year old. If I buy all the games on my account, he'll still be able to play them, right?

Also, if we wind up not being able to share this thing very well (I'll be wanting to play BotW nonstop while he'll think the Switch is his own personal Minecraft machine), how do digital purchases work with multiple Switches? Will I be able to log in as "me" on both of them and then have access to my digital games on both devices?

I can answer the first question for you; Yes, if you buy the games on one Switch, any user on that account can play them. My wife's account on my Switch has her own save files and junk that's seperate from me, but she can play any game I can, including the ones I've purchased on the eShop.

We only have one Switch though so I can't tell you for sure how that or switching accounts between devices works.

Lorek on
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »

I can answer the first question for you; Yes, if you buy the games on one Switch, any user on that account can play them. My wife's account on my Switch has her own save files and junk that's seperate from me, but she can play any game I can, including the ones I've purchased on the eShop.

We only have one Switch though so I can't tell you for sure how that or switching accounts between devices works.

Thanks. I figured that was the case, nice to have confirmation that it works as intended.

Regarding the second question I had, some googling has told me that an account can only have 1 Switch "active" at a time, so sharing digital games on multiple systems is a no-go, at least right now (probably forever). If we go all digital, and we wind up getting a second system, we'd have to rebuy any digital games that we'd want on that system on a second account.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Regarding the second question I had, some googling has told me that an account can only have 1 Switch "active" at a time, so sharing digital games on multiple systems is a no-go, at least right now (probably forever). If we go all digital, and we wind up getting a second system, we'd have to rebuy any digital games that we'd want on that system on a second account.

This is something that I think is still not 100% clear though, or at least I forget precisely how it works.

An account can only be on one Switch at a time, but a Switch can have up to 8 accounts at one time. And any accounts on a Switch let you play any games associated with any of them.

So...presumably you could buy Minecraft and games he likes while logged in on his account, and buy Zelda on your account, and later transfer your account to a second Switch, and you'd have Zelda and he'd have Minecraft but not Zelda. And you could transfer back at any time to give him access to Zelda again. I think. But I'm not sure.

Might be worth buying games that will be "his" that you'll never want to play while logged in as him. Or at least diversify between two accounts, and see if transferring lets you split things up later. I think you can.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    one thing thing that some developer needs to figure out is how to make killing mob after mob not meaningless and i don't mean just the loot. i can't recall which game but i'm sure one had the stats go up against monster types. that would reward me for killing 10billion bokoblins, more than just random dude x asked me to kill 10 billion bokoblins.

I think this is a problem that all open world games that aren't RPGs deal with, even the ones with pseudo-RPG skill trees. Even in those at some point you max out your skills or you're tasked with killing the mooks in specific ways to maximize your exp gain. I've been playing through Horizon Zero Dawn and am utterly bored whenever I have to clear out another pack of the weaker robot dinosaurs or take the time to sneak by them. The weaker enemies were similarly not terribly engaging in BotW but it was easier to bypass them by just gliding well away from them or using a monster mask and having them ignore you.

The monster masks were a great feature that I don't think gets enough appreciation for how much easier they make it to enjoy the open world.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Has there been any news on Animal Crossing for the Switch? Whenever that releases, I'll probably be allowed to buy one.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    Has there been any news on Animal Crossing for the Switch? Whenever that releases, I'll probably be allowed to buy one.

I feel like Animal Crossing is a Holiday 2018 title at the earliest. We've still got a mobile game in the pipeline first and New Leaf got a pretty hefty update in November 2016.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    My Switch library is about to explode. So many indie games!

And the news that Stardew Valley was submitted to Nintendo for certification is awesome. Sooooo looking to having a farming-rpg-sim on the Switch.

Next they give me an Animal Crossing on the Switch and I'll be a very happy man indeed. They skipped a generation on the WiiU, so we're overdue for a new Animal Crossing.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    There has never been a game that made me embrace consumables like BotW. I'm always a hoarder, saving everything, keeping one of every weapon "just in case" even though many are literally useless and just for vendoring. In BotW you learn pretty quick that you're gonna be picking up new stuff everywhere and just to let go.

I mean...I still upgraded my inventory as fast as I could and still hoarded my best weapons for rainy days that hardly ever came, but I still was forced to get less attached to any particular piece of gear.

My problem was just that it completely destroys any sense of accomplishment and makes every find, every discovery a shallow victory. "Yay, I found this Iron Sword at the top of these ruins I explored. But it will be broken on the first dude's face that I smash with it, and then I will be back to killing dudes with their own arms and twigs." Finding cool things is meaningless and hollow.

What are games that did it better, though? Last time I played Skyrim I crafted myself my own god-equipment and there were extremely few rewards that weren't shallow victories. Epic unique sword at the end of a dungeon, worse than what I already have. Disenchant it to learn the enchantment and then never use it. Chest with some gold and alchemy ingredients I don't need.

Honestly Zelda does a good job with rewards feeling significant. All armor is totally unique, and expensive to fully upgrade for its unique effects. Unlike in Skyrim where money flows like water before too long, you need rupees in Zelda all throughout to afford buying and upgrading your gear. And any secret that results in a shrine leads to another permanent unlockable upgrade.

And the itemization in the bethesda fallouts is even worse! FO3 only a single weapon type per archetype, with a unique variant which usually wasn't really worth it. FO4 was a bit better with the weapon mods making it closer to the enchantment system described above...but like the above, the gun you already had crafted and modded out was heads and shoulders above anything you ever found in a dungeon.

Which is really why the weapon degradation in zelda is kinda the key to the whole item economy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    I accidentally posted this in the old thread so guess should here as well.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    There has never been a game that made me embrace consumables like BotW. I'm always a hoarder, saving everything, keeping one of every weapon "just in case" even though many are literally useless and just for vendoring. In BotW you learn pretty quick that you're gonna be picking up new stuff everywhere and just to let go.

I mean...I still upgraded my inventory as fast as I could and still hoarded my best weapons for rainy days that hardly ever came, but I still was forced to get less attached to any particular piece of gear.

My problem was just that it completely destroys any sense of accomplishment and makes every find, every discovery a shallow victory. "Yay, I found this Iron Sword at the top of these ruins I explored. But it will be broken on the first dude's face that I smash with it, and then I will be back to killing dudes with their own arms and twigs." Finding cool things is meaningless and hollow.

What are games that did it better, though? Last time I played Skyrim I crafted myself my own god-equipment and there were extremely few rewards that weren't shallow victories. Epic unique sword at the end of a dungeon, worse than what I already have. Disenchant it to learn the enchantment and then never use it. Chest with some gold and alchemy ingredients I don't need.

Honestly Zelda does a good job with rewards feeling significant. All armor is totally unique, and expensive to fully upgrade for its unique effects. Unlike in Skyrim where money flows like water before too long, you need rupees in Zelda all throughout to afford buying and upgrading your gear. And any secret that results in a shrine leads to another permanent unlockable upgrade.

And the itemization in the bethesda fallouts is even worse! FO3 only a single weapon type per archetype, with a unique variant which usually wasn't really worth it. FO4 was a bit better with the weapon mods making it closer to the enchantment system described above...but like the above, the gun you already had crafted and modded out was heads and shoulders above anything you ever found in a dungeon.

Which is really why the weapon degradation in zelda is kinda the key to the whole item economy.

With Fallout 4, the settlement system went a long way in making a lot of itemization that wouldn't be great otherwise better. I might be disappointed at the legendary pool cue that did extra damage to robots but then proceed to loot all the microscopes in the room for their components for use in laser turrets and whatnot. Being able to repurpose drops you might otherwise not have much use for is a tricky thing but it pays dividends. I was very happy to take all the food I wasn't using in nu-Prey to a recycler so that I could later use the resources in crafting.

Even with weapon breakage, I left a lot of weapons lying around in BotW because they just weren't worth it compared to the rows of dragonbone clubs I was looting after a while. I wouldn't want an extensive crafting system shoved into that's traditionally been a bit minimalist like Zelda, but still think something better could have been done with some of the itemization even if I was fine with the weapon durability systems.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Lick the cartridge

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Dilemma. I bought Shovel Knight for the PS4 but haven't played it yet. I'm kinda tempted to get it for the Switch.

Also, do we know anything about Golf Story outside of the brief trailer?

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Dilemma. I bought Shovel Knight for the PS4 but haven't played it yet. I'm kinda tempted to get it for the Switch.

It's like you didn't even read the thread title

• Options
    Maz- wrote: »

Lick the cartridge

If you can't do that, ask about how Mario perceives reality now that every sentient being in the Mushroom Kingdom and beyond are his mere playthings and what they think the sense of self must be like for someone who can, with the toss of a hat, become literally anyone.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »

Lick the cartridge

If you can't do that, ask about how Mario perceives reality now that every sentient being in the Mushroom Kingdom and beyond are his mere playthings and what they think the sense of self must be like for someone who can, with the toss of a hat, become literally anyone.

This sounds more up to my speed.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

The limits for FIFA on Nintendo Switch

Be it a design decision, a sacrifice, or a bit of both, this time it's the FUT Champions and Squad Battles modes that don't make the cut. Is that because they expect Switch players to be more casual? "I see it as being more social," is perhaps the diplomatic way of saying 'yes' - but that's not necessarily a bad thing. While Lăzărescu stresses quite fairly that "casual represents different things to different people," the choice to drop those features is based on the type of audience they expect. "I look at them as two different games, two different worlds, that I think we should take for what they are, and keep in mind that we should not try to force people onto certain things just because it works on a certain platform."

Frostbite, the engine adopted for the first time by FIFA 17, is what powers just about all of the main series' big updates this year - the Journey follow-up, the new 'cinematic' Career Mode transfers, the special animation system that Wes mentioned when he first tried the game, and even the more detailed stadia and crowds - and we've already established it's missing from FIFA on Switch. Instead, the Switch version has its own engine built from the ground up - "the hardware is very difficult," Lăzărescu says, and it means a future mode exactly like the Journey is "unlikely." Likewise those new additions I mentioned "would take an army of people, if it was possible, to be done."

So if 'foundation' is Lăzărescu's favourite word when talking about FIFA Switch ("to set a foundation base for the game" was also an internal goal, he reminds me), then 'compromise' is probably mine. It needn't be a negative thing. FIFA on Switch will, if it sells well enough, forge its own path. Those 'foundations' are versatile, after all - "I don't think it's impossible to do more with this engine." It's just a case of how you like to play.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    That's the first time I've seen anyone describe the Switch as difficult to develop for. Seems like a cop-out.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    That's the first time I've seen anyone describe the Switch as difficult to develop for. Seems like a cop-out.

Laying the groundwork early for when they pull support for the system.

• Options
    They've been using the Frostbite engine and iterations of it since 2011

Some engines just don't play nice with the Switch, apparently (sadly) including the one used to make certain indie games like Cook Serve Delicious

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I've heard from various postmortems that Frostbite is pretty shit to work with if you're not on the Battlefield team (which is what it's completely designed around). I'm sure it was just easier to say fuck it and do something new when you don't even know if it will sell.

Frankly I was completely astounded that Mario + Rabbids uses Snowdrop.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »

I feel like Animal Crossing is a Holiday 2018 title at the earliest. We've still got a mobile game in the pipeline first and New Leaf got a pretty hefty update in November 2016.

I think they flushed the mobile game when New Leaf got that update.
    I feel animal crossing is 2019 summer as New leaf still is kicking sadly

This discussion has been closed.