As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The old [Giant Bomb] thread!

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I changed my mind, seeing Dan bork up a Destiny 2 raid 4 hours in and causing them all irreparable pain is something I would like to see.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I get the feeling that I watch Giant Bomb for very different reasons than some others in this thread.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Exquisite Corps Episode 6:
    I thought Dan could not sink any lower than Dumpster Dan, I was wrong. Dan is Azazel.

"Time...is on my side!"

Yeah such a dick move by dan. Let me come with a intricate story to why I have to change myself to MVP. Be funny when Vinny has to explain it to Abby and Alex.

Also can't believe what Abby has to contend with next week. My hopes are with her.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Renaming soldiers to replace dead ones is lame and is kinda silly considering theyre sort of trying to go for a role play Xcom game?

idk this episode was meh

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    also the next mission is going to completely body their squad

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    it's not really a beautiful trainwreck, just a normal one.

it's sad since it sounds like vinny has been working up to this for a while but i kinda just don't like it. at least steal my sunshine has been fun recently, the watermelon festival was great.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    obolon84 wrote: »
    This episode of Exquisite Corps was a little hard to watch. I was irrationally angry at what Dan was doing and couldn't really get past it. I feel a little sorry for Vinny - it just seems like this wasn't exactly how he pictured it going.
    Yeah, this seems way worse than dans usual trolly bullshit because 1.Vinny seemed really excited about doing it, and 2.its supposed to be a cooperative event and the other two are genuinely doing their best.
    Then Dan rolls in to shit all over the whole endeavor by intentionally playing poorly and laughing about it. He pretty much tanked the whole feature for his sad need to always be the center of attention.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Oh, so this is why the latest episode of Exquisite Corps has 400+ comments. I haven't watched that series.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    I thought dan harbingering Dave Lang and assuming direct control was pretty funny.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    To be fair, Alex has been the only one that's been even remotely keeping it together.

Abby hasn't been doing a bit, like Dan, but she's still been too aggressive on her missions.

Next week will be the end of this run.

Hoping they do another. Tie Dan to a chair, and bring in Bakalar.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Man, New Dan really didn't survive very long, did he?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    add in the electric shock game and I'll watch.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Abby hasn't been doing a bit, like Dan, but she's still been too aggressive on her missions.
    I dunno, I feel she could have won that Very Hard mission if, at the end, she had just abandoned cover to get her soldier in grenade range of those enemies and blown them up. Even had that soldier been killed after (and I'm pretty sure all three enemies would have died from that explosion) it would have been worth it for the damage infliced.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I thought dan harbingering Dave Lang and assuming direct control was pretty funny.

It was definitely funny.

The problem is that it's not as funny as potentially watching all of the GB crew and extended family eventually make it into the game and subsequently go through the Xcom meat grinder.

I love Dan but he's not always the best at seeing the bigger picture and his schtick in this series is going to end up ruining it (despite being good for a few laughs).

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    It all really boils down to none of them (vinny included) really understanding the systems of the game on more than a superficial level. When to be aggressive, when to overwatch, when to take a shot, HOW FLANKING AND COVER WORK. Things like constantly overwatch creeping because they're getting 40-50% shots with their rookies. They're rookies. they have garbage aim. Take the damn shot anyways. Or Abby flat out refusing to dash anywhere now because she got spooked by the commentators. Sometimes you gotta dash! When and how to use grenades or rockets or other abilities. Or how the metagame works. The most basic BASIC things you need to learn right off the bat is how satellites work and when to build them. It's a dumb mechanic because it's not signposted at all, and everyone has a terrible first run because they don't build satellites, but you NEED to know it to actually get anywhere in the game. Even if they had won every single mission up to now, they'd still be in a really bad place because theyre like 3 months in with only 2 satellites launched.
    Xcom has a lot of complex interacting systems, but it usually has an optimal decisions to make at any given time. The fact that they're compleatly oblivious is in part what makes it so frustrating to watch.
    That an Dan being a "big baby" (thanks Sweary.)

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    McGibs wrote: »
    Xcom has a lot of complex interacting systems, but it usually has an optimal decisions to make at any given time. The fact that they're compleatly oblivious is in part what makes it so frustrating to watch.

Given the premise, I am fine with watching them fail, learn, adapt, and fail some more. Dan deliberately torpedoing the group's efforts and storytelling with his narcissistic antics is not very compelling viewing to me.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Except the format of the
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    McGibs wrote: »

Given the premise, I am fine with watching them fail, learn, adapt, and fail some more. Dan deliberately torpedoing the group's efforts and storytelling with his narcissistic antics is not very compelling viewing to me.

Except the combination of the format of the show (splitting it between 3 commanders) and Ironman (very little room for error) basically makes learning and adapting impossible. So they're just failing. Alex is the only one whos done some improving, and thats because he took the initiative to do some homework between shows.
    Aside from the awesome after action reports (easily the best parts), I feel like it would work WAY better if all three were in the room at once. It'd be slow as hell, but entertaining because they'd all want to kill each other (Dan) 20 minutes in.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    It would be ideal, but I get the impression that this content is designed so that the off camera GBE crew can do other tasks.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Or if they had one competent commander to balance it out (ie: Austin) desperately trying to keep the whole thing afloat. Basically I just want to watch Austin play Ironman in 3 mission intervals.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I mean, shouldn't that be Vinny?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    IMO the only real problem with the feature is that they picked a bad game for it. This kind of feature - whether or not Dan is playing up anything - is at its best when failure is entertaining to watch and easy to bounce back from. It's what made Kerbal Space Program so watchable. XCOM isn't a fun thing with a splashy event that you remake your dudes and go again at. It's a slow, tightening vice grip that slowly chokes you out without you even noticing.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I don't know if this was ever actually stated and not just assumed, but I talked to Dan at PAX and he told me when they bring back Beast in the East, they're pretty sure he's not going to be at the controls. Which is something GBE and the community has decided is probably for the best.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    IMO the only real problem with the feature is that they picked a bad game for it. This kind of feature - whether or not Dan is playing up anything - is at its best when failure is entertaining to watch and easy to bounce back from. It's what made Kerbal Space Program so watchable. XCOM isn't a fun thing with a splashy event that you remake your dudes and go again at. It's a slow, tightening vice grip that slowly chokes you out without you even noticing.

Can you imagine Dan playing kerbal space program.

Feel like they are in a hard place for some content when I'm sure they are aware Dan's antics generate views/comments but maybe not hit the goal they wanted starting out

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Dan taking over Dave Lang was amusing.

Dan trying to take over Brad right afterwards was infuriating.

I like Dan in certain things. Dan is not a cooperative gamer and it's frustrating watching him sabotage the efforts of the others.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I feel like Dan works best when he's placed in a situation where the more reasonable majority can overrule his unreasonable behaviours. Like I'm pretty sure Beast in the East didn't turn into a total trainwreck because Vinny and Alex were able to force Dan into a semblance of conformity. I also think this is why he works fine on the podcast, or features like Steal my Sunshine, and why he does poorly when he's on equal or majority footing (Exquisite Corps) or can't be forced to conform by the group (Battlegrounds streams).

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I like Dan, but I definitely found him annoying in Exquisite Corps. Largely because some of his actions are probably going to bring the feature to a quicker end. I also feel like just re-naming the best character Dan goes against the spirit of the thing (which makes it less fun in my opinion), and almost re-naming the Brad character just to be a meat shield was stupid. It also wouldn't be as much of a problem if he didn't then make his number one goal "protect Dan".
    He could have just brought in a new recruit and named them "Newdan" or something. Continuing to throw a new variation of "Dan" into the fray every week would have been funnier.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    People would then be mad that he was spending all the squad resources protecting this new rookie named Ran Dyckert instead of having the stronger characters do productive things.

They were never going to succeed at this given their combined knowledge of the game. Yeah the tactical stuff is dramatic but the strategic layer is where the game kills you without you realizing.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I just think they would have made enough mistakes without Dan purposely throwing a wrench in the works, and that it's a lot more entertaining when those things happen naturally.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, tanking the mission to keep himself alive is fine. It's funny, it sets up a narrative, and honestly, their chances of beating the game were pretty slim from the start. Bringing in an army of clone NewDan's to keep himself in the game is fine too. I personally think that joke had run it's course, but if that's how he wanted to play it, sure.

But overwriting an existing character to keep himself in just feels totally out of line with the intent of the feature. It's supposed to be a collaborative work, with each person adding to the work the others have already put in.

And unfortunately, without the narrative component holding up, I don't really see myself watching the series. Alex is the only one that really knows what he is doing at the moment, and as others have said, the way they are playing doesn't really lend itself to people learning the game quickly. A fuck-up in Project Beast meant that they had wasted the last 20 minutes, but they learned something and could try to solve it on the next run. A fuck-up in XCOM means the game gets harder and more fuck-ups become more likely.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Brad on Destiny 2:

"I would say there's too much of a good thing in this game."

"I haven't played a game this obsessively in I don't know how long. I've done nothing else."

"I'm hard on it because it could be the best thing ever made."

It begins...

Ceno on
  • Options
    Fun, now the bombcast can be half pubg and half destiny 2 talk.

i really need to stop listening to it.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    At a certain point, it's the same discussion from the original Destiny/DOTA/whatever Bombcasts: it's what these people are playing, it's what's hot right now, what else do you want them to talk about?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    At a certain point, it's the same discussion from the original Destiny/DOTA/whatever Bombcasts: it's what these people are playing, it's what's hot right now, what else do you want them to talk about?

nothing.

i said i need to stop listening to it, not that they need to do something different. i do not enjoy the content.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I'm still holding off on Destiny 2 until it's clear there's more to it than in the first game which disappointed so many people. Brad basically said outright that the content level is roughly in line with the original, and I'm almost expecting the same damn argument as last time come end of the year.

• Options
    I'm still holding off on Destiny 2 until it's clear there's more to it than in the first game which disappointed so many people. Brad basically said outright that the content level is roughly in line with the original, and I'm almost expecting the same damn argument as last time come end of the year.

That'll be an interesting argument if it comes to that. "The same as the last one, but slightly better/worse in some ways" has not always gone over so well with the Bomb Crew during GOTY.

It probably won't win Most Disappointing, though.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Destiny 2 has roughly equivalent amounts of story-related single-player content, but it's much better quality. It also has more things to do in each area than the original. Destiny 1 was already a great game that was lacking in content, Destiny 2 is better in pretty much all regards. Except Shaders.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Heh, this bit about Tiny Tina was the most animated I've seen Ben in a bit.

Everyone hates Tiny Tina, but only Ben refuses to concede that FailSafe is as bad as Tiny Tina

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    FailSafe bad? Does not compute.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    FailSafe's alter ego is terrible, the voice acting is unpleasant to listen to. I'm fine with the main version

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The voice acting and dialogue in D2 is very bad.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126